Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• FastPass n00b

Re: Disneyland, Powered by...

I think the picture shows it all...the Mac has crashed and is stuck on its startup sequence. Maybe I had a bad experience with Macs, but I got that kind of behavior quite frequently, probably because I got so frustrated with it and broke it somehow. Not that Windows is any better though; I don't like Microsoft, I use Mozilla Firefox because I can't stand IE. It's just that Windows XP supports the most games and applications out there and if you don't use it, you're limiting yourself to the applications and games you can use. The truth is computers are complex things and with so many things able to go wrong, something will eventually go wrong. I haven't used Linux but aparently it's quite stable compared to the commercial alternatives.

• Minion

Mac OS 9.x is universally recognized as being as bad or worse than old MS-Dos 4 which didn't even get released(or something along those lines).

It was so bad and killed so many Macs that Apple was desperate to get X out just to alieve the suffering it caused. The reason it didn't catch an uproar or get widespread coverage is that Mac hasn't secured a 10% share of the market for any sustained time in the last 15 years. Windows 95 and Windows ME had no such grace of being on a platform so few would use.

As for why many PC users hate Mac... Price(way too high), and until OS X came, Macs were hardware capable of Multi-Tasking but really weren't and PCs were software capable, but their hardware wasn't designed to multitask. Horrible indefensible paradox on the Mac supporters side.

Finally, XP is incredibly stable when you compare the huge variety of hardware it deals with. Mac is nearly a one note computer, that's why it's stable.

• Minion

I think it's kinda pathetic they're still running on OS 9. Are they just too lazy to upgrade all the way to OS X Tiger? I love Tiger so very very much...
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Theme Park Advocate

The picture of the frozen mac makes me laugh. The thing is that Mac, Windows, *nux it doesn't matter. I live on all three OS's and I can say that as long as the system is properly configured for the specific use that it is designed for, it will run 99.9% of the time without error. But don't try to make an OS do more than what it is designed for. Still all in all I find it suprising that the rides don't operate a Linux distro (stable and fast), and it does not suprise me that the fastpass system runs windows (easy to write apps for and to connect to a pre-existing network) nor the music Kisok running Mac OS9 (running extreamly mac friendly shockwave) to take orders.
    themeparks.demonbird.com - pictures and reports of Disney and non Disney parks form across North America.
    Knott's Berry Farm - Spring Flowers - Snoopy's Spring Safari - Sierra Sidewinder

• Know More Than You Should

Yeah. Even so, technology does grow old and get outdated, and at a certain point needs to be replaced.

• Banned User

maybe Disney is waiting to repalce it with a mini mac with intel.. LOL.. Thats going to crash for a while when they continue to get the last of the bugs out... once that happens i'm getting my new mini mac...

(Imagine disney useing mini macs to run these thigns.. maybe even Fastpass.. since in theory the new macs coming out next year with intel.. you can crack the windows code and run XP and windows 2000 with every patch needed to be safe..... LOL)

• Minion

Nerds....I keed. I love Macs, but i'm too poverished to afford a Mac.

• Shubisha

Btw even though OS 9 was a sort of hodgepodge patchup of OS 8(though much better than os 8), I still miss that classic mac a bit :/ It got real messy towards the end as they knew they were going to a brand new OS with OS X, but OS 7.1, 7.5, 7.5.1, 7.5.3, 7.6...yadda that whole series is a big memory for this little maccer =D

(SO DON'T BE DISSIN ON MY MAC CLASSIC =D)

• That's Hawt

You know, I try to hate on Mac's but I actually LEARNED on a Mac and they still hold a soft spot in my heart ... I can't wait until they come out with the Mac/Intel hybrids ... but I am hoping to purchase a Powerbook very soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

• Mentat

Quote Originally Posted by Club 33
    This thread is about the use of older Mac softwear at Disneyland, not about whether Mac or Windows is superior. Threads on that topic can be started in the Tech Lounge.
    Not Fair! It could just as easily be about the platform. BTW, Win 2000 is pretty much as stable as it gets-- although I prefer XP-SP2-- and I have owned Macs...Heack, I've owned Commodore 64s! Ha! So there!

If, indeed, this is about the old OS, I thought Win 2000 and Mac crashed, right?

• Banned User

I have an iBook Mac with X on it! I'm higher than Dland lmao.

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gibbage
    Wow. Disney geeks getting into an Apple/IBM war. How geeky can this get! The level of geek is getting WAY WAY too high here.

P.S. Macs suck!

Apple/IBM??... Wow how "LATE 80'S!"......lol

In this century it's Mac/Windows...lol....
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• Cranky Dragon is Cranky

Quote Originally Posted by WRDest79
    In my home we have both a mac and a PC and i gotta tell you the truth... Id much rather use the mac than the Windows OS. Ive never had a problem with it while the family PC frequently goes down for one reason or another.
    And when I owned a Mac, it was exactly the opposite; the Mac would go down 3-4 times a day, while the PC just keeps on chuggin' along.

I tell you, by the time I sold the Mac I was ready to it.
    Current hat total: 100 of 100 - completed!

Duckland
    : Stroll through downtown Duckburg, making sure to tour Scrooge's Money Bin, then cross the Audubon Bay Bridge to St. Canard. Visit Liquidator's Splash Pool, and don't forget a stop by Bushroot Gardens!

• Former CM

Yes Disney does use both PC's and Mac's. There are only a few Mac's though as most people do use PC's. The reason you see computers that are not up to date is because Disney does a 4 year computer cycle. Why? Due to the cost of replacing tons of computers every year. Another reason is that the computers do come with 3 years warranties and if the break is that bad during the last year it will just get replaced early anyways.

• oh bugger

Just another reason Disney needs to take over Apple, solve the Pixar problem and then put Macs all over the park, especially music oriented kiosks.

It makes sense that they would use the PC for the behind the scenes technical operations but give the public a Mac OS. The simplicity of mac is key especially with such a large relatively non computer savy population. We all talk about stupid people at the parks, imagine them trying to figure out something with a PC... best just keep it as simple as possible and straight forward with a Mac OS.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast