Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• :)

Re: Autopia needs help

The cast members always look miserable too. I don't blame them, it's hot and they are forced to be in the hot sun all day with no shade.

• Here Comes Trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineerfan View Post
    It's all part of the immersive theming in order to make it feel like a real highway. They strategically place trash throughout the ride to make it look like any other California freeway.

I just wish they would also add trash pickers in orange vests picking up the trash. Maybe they could make this one of the YOAMD givaways. "Arrest" someone on Main Street for wearing an innapropriate t-shirt and "sentence" them to 1 hour of community service picking up trash on Autopia.
    You are SO my people
    It may have zippity to do with doo-dah

• The line's too long...

With Carsland opening in DCA in 2012, the powers that be are hopefully thinking of closing Autopia for good when Chevron's sponsorship runs out. There's a lot of space there they could use to do something really interesting.
    If you want to see a "drive your own car" ride that works great then check out Volvo Driving School at Legoland.

• Bleh....

third shift custodial actually does a great job of cleaning. they do have a machine to sweep the track and with the help of horticulture, they do remove all the trash from the attraction. in order to clean the attraction, it must go down. reason being is DOSH. state law requires that to be able to walk throughout an attraction, they must have been trained and signed off on the attraction. so only auto cm's and land managers (they are trained on all attractions for their land) are able to walk through the attraction while it is up and running, other than that it must go down for any other cm's. auto cm's would do it and they do try their best to clean the pit and grandstand areas, however, staffing never allows for adequate focus on housecleaning.

• Disney Geek

Quote Originally Posted by Kritter View Post
    It's to promote Wall-E
    Nice.

• cmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcm

Quote Originally Posted by vanx View Post
    third shift custodial actually does a great job of cleaning. they do have a machine to sweep the track and with the help of horticulture, they do remove all the trash from the attraction. in order to clean the attraction, it must go down. reason being is DOSH. state law requires that to be able to walk throughout an attraction, they must have been trained and signed off on the attraction. so only auto cm's and land managers (they are trained on all attractions for their land) are able to walk through the attraction while it is up and running, other than that it must go down for any other cm's. auto cm's would do it and they do try their best to clean the pit and grandstand areas, however, staffing never allows for adequate focus on housecleaning.
    Thanks for all the info.

I figure night custodial doing a clean sweep at the end of the day is enough for the attraction.

"I'm not funny. What I am is brave." - Lucille Ball

• FastPass n00b

"I didn't mean the Autopia should be hauling garbage...I meant it should be hauled away AS garbage" - a little quote for the Star Trek fans out there. But seriously, there's really nothing to look at on this ride. And the lanes are so wide open that it feels like could be going double or triple the speed without any problems at all.

• YOU KNOW IT! YEAH!

I think the cars need to be electric and not gas powered...gotta look towards the future...i know its a crazy idea, but it is tomorrowland

SUPPORT THE CMs

For me, Tomorrow is everyday...wait...what?

• Troublemaker

Quote Originally Posted by GusGus View Post
    It was always one of my favorites as a kid. Last time we went on it, though, it seemed really long.

Is it redundant to have it with all the Cars stuff going on in DCA?
    When DCA was being built, I kept saying they needed to put Autopia in that park. You have a mini representation of California's freeways, an attraction that has Disneyland history that people like and stand in line for*, and free up land in Disneyland.

It was a perfect time to do it, too. Subs were gone. Rocket Rods were gone. With Autopia gone, you only had the Monorail to work around for new show buildings, attractions, etc. And the Monorail fleet was old enough, it probably could have used the time-off. Autopia also may have also helped the early complaint about too few kid attractions at DCA.

But, you snooze you lose.

I'd like to see a version of Autopia criss-crossing on bridges and vistas over the Radiator Spring Racers. This gives the little ones a chance run into the same Cars characters the adults do. Characters that are better suited for the kiddies instead of a thrill ride. They can also see glimpses of the other attraction, and know that someday they will be able to ride the E-ticket... but it's better to see from a different attraction instead of completely from the sidelines. And then, yes, Autopia could be retired at Disneyland. (Here, meaning, relieved of duty... not re-tired. Since they're cars and all... ::rimshot:

But, again, we don't have that fortunate set of bad events leading to a nearly empty portion of the Park. They're not going to close down the Monorail (esp. if they just got it working) and Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage just to tear out Autopia.

I really think we're stuck with Autopia in that corner for a long, long time.

• The line's too long...

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon View Post
    "I didn't mean the Autopia should be hauling garbage...I meant it should be hauled away AS garbage" - a little quote for the Star Trek fans out there.
    Wait, who said that? Was it Tamolak, the Romulan Commander?

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by vanx View Post
    The machines that did that got taken away, osha complained it was "too heavy" for custodial cm's to use (look at the yesterland light magic photos for the confetti cleanup, machines like that. incidentally back stage in the space mountain custodial closet is a old machine that used to be used on it)

now it is heavy backpack leaf blowers that weigh too much and stink to high heaven and make lots of noise. Horticulture does nothing (except make messes and complain about us), don't kid yourself. everything is blown into piles then swept up, the rest is picked out of the bushes with a picker and bucket. Grandstand and supporting areas are hosed down every night.

that's how it's cleaned every night. Now and then the cars are pulled into the pits so we can bombard the unload area with alot of water to flush out all the grease,mysterious hair clumps and other junk that gets dropped in that area...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12