Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Cranky Dragon is Cranky

Re: Free gas for the summer -- Is this a good idea for Disney?

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I'd rather they gave away a bunch of hybrids, at least that would be better publicity.
    Now that I could get behind, but it might make Chevron cranky.
    Current hat total: 100 of 100 - completed!

Duckland
    : Stroll through downtown Duckburg, making sure to tour Scrooge's Money Bin, then cross the Audubon Bay Bridge to St. Canard. Visit Liquidator's Splash Pool, and don't forget a stop by Bushroot Gardens!

• Senior Minion

I agree, not the best vehicle choice, but they probably had no idea gas would become such an issue when they originally chose to give away an SUV.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    So I was watching my beloved Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim lose to the second place Oakland A's 6-1.
    Get used to it.

The promotion is Free Gas For Summer. All fans in attendance will receive a scratcher that could win them an entire summer's worth of free gas courtesy of ARCO. I believe it is actually $1000.00 worth of free gas, and whether that lasts the whole summer or not depends on how much you drive obviously.
    Angel Stadium isn't the international destination that the DLR is. Halo fans in attendance at home games are a predictably 'local' audience. I can see problems with offering gas giveaways to an audience whose nationality is not even a given.

If Disney does experience attendance woes this summer, free gas is a tempting offer currently. Disney has so much 'in-house' rewards potential, however, I don't see them paying someone else for prizes to give away (YOAMD, anyone?).

• Incognito

Blog Entries

No.

• Banned User

my beloved Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
    *guffaw* *snort* "...of Orange County, of Southern California, of the West Coast, of the United States of America, of the Western Hemisphere, of Earth, of the Sol system, of the Milky Way Galaxy, of...."

at tomorrow night's game at Angel Stadium.
    I don't care what they changed the stadium's name to. That place is still Anaheim Stadium to me.

The promotion is Free Gas For Summer. All fans in attendance will receive a scratcher that could win them an entire summer's worth of free gas courtesy of ARCO. I believe it is actually $1000.00 worth of free gas, and whether that lasts the whole summer or not depends on how much you drive obviously. Apparently there are multiple grand prize winners so your chances are better than just 1 out of 40,000 to win it.

Free or reduced price gas offers seem to be the latest craze right now in advertisements and promotions. So the light bulb went off in my head and I thought, wouldn't it be a good idea if Disney did something similar?
    Sure it would! It's a great idea if anyone does it.

I think this would be to Disney's advantage because at the very least it will lure extra people to the park to try to win the prize. If they are locals and they don't have an AP maybe it will entice them to get one as an expense (travel costs) is reduced. Or if they have an AP it will entice them to buy more at the park since they will have more money to work with. I think it would be best promoted during a 2fer period. The commercials could say somehting like, "Enjoy 2 parks for the price of one, and you can enter for a chance to win free gas for the summer (or whatever season...)."
    I wouldn't get too involved with the justifications or any predictions of who would be brought to the park or why. It's just a good promotion to do anywhere, at any time, for any reason.

Hey, it'd be a great idea if movie theaters offered it too.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess4590 View Post
    Offering free gas as part of a Disneyland package sort of cheapens it to the like of a supermarket.
    Well maybe if they raised AP prices to $1 million dollars a pop, that'd add value to it.

• DCA FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I can see it now "The Year of a Million Gallons" brought to you by Chevron with Techron.
    LOL How would they give that out at the park? Give you a canister with two gallons in it? (lol) Probably just a chevron gift card lol.
    Everybody's got a laughin' place-
    trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it.

i'd almost suggest to them to try something like that to us northern cali people.. it'd be a way to get us down there....

maybe do something like jack in the box just did.. bring in your gas receipts for your drive down there, and they'll give you a disney gift card..
    it's an idea..

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by ministrychick77 View Post
    i'd almost suggest to them to try something like that to us northern cali people.. it'd be a way to get us down there....

maybe do something like jack in the box just did.. bring in your gas receipts for your drive down there, and they'll give you a disney gift card..
    it's an idea..
    That's actually not a bad idea.

I'm actually neither for or against my own idea per se. What is more interesting to me and what I was sort of hoping for is that we are all coming up with interesting alternatives -- hybrid cars, gift cards (if I forgot to mention one or two my apologies).

Attendance is way down largely due to the gas prices. Attendence is down and so now I think we can all safely say that the Year Of A Million Dreams turned out not producing the results Disney had hoped for. People have dreams, and now with gas prices and foreclosures effecting the economy so severly, people have specific dreams that mosue ears, lanyards, and fastpasses cannot help them overcome. Even a stay in the Dream Suite can't accomplish that. If Disney gives away a hybrid car, a gift card, or a gas card this just might help make someone's life a little easier. Sure not everyone would get this prize, but as much as I love Mickey the promise of something that is actual useful in one's life I think has more drawing power than mouse ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I'd rather they gave away a bunch of hybrids, at least that would be better publicity.
    Unfortunately, the are giving away a big Honda SUV instead.

• Disney Starved in AZ

Free gas would kind of sound like every car dealer commercial...

But if they did, say, "A Hybrid A Day in May" that might fly - get Honda in on it... I'd dig that!!!

OR Honda is releasing a new water vapor car... maybe a joint promo???

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12