Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Free gas for the summer -- Is this a good idea for Disney?

So I was watching my beloved Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim lose to the second place Oakland A's 6-1. While watching the game and wanting to throw something at the TV, Rex Hudler announced a promotion that will be happening at tomorrow night's game at Angel Stadium.

The promotion is Free Gas For Summer. All fans in attendance will receive a scratcher that could win them an entire summer's worth of free gas courtesy of ARCO. I believe it is actually $1000.00 worth of free gas, and whether that lasts the whole summer or not depends on how much you drive obviously. Apparently there are multiple grand prize winners so your chances are better than just 1 out of 40,000 to win it.

Free or reduced price gas offers seem to be the latest craze right now in advertisements and promotions. So the light bulb went off in my head and I thought, wouldn't it be a good idea if Disney did something similar? They wouldn't have to give out scratchers, although they could if they wanted to. Or they could give this out as a dream prize.

I think this would be to Disney's advantage because at the very least it will lure extra people to the park to try to win the prize. If they are locals and they don't have an AP maybe it will entice them to get one as an expense (travel costs) is reduced. Or if they have an AP it will entice them to buy more at the park since they will have more money to work with. I think it would be best promoted during a 2fer period. The commercials could say somehting like, "Enjoy 2 parks for the price of one, and you can enter for a chance to win free gas for the summer (or whatever season...)."

This is just a top of the head idea. Feel free to discuss, dissect, agree, or disagree on this as much as you want.
    Last edited by DisneyIPresume; 06-30-2008 at 09:41 PM.

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

Re: Free gas for the summer -- Is this a good idea for Disney?

Boy would I need that!

and what is up with the Angel's offense?!

I'm embarrassed.

• Senior Minion

I don't think DL should be advertised in a way that connects it with real life concerns like gas prices.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• "I Break Things"

Wow someone was actually watching the Angels, and it wasn't a Little League game... oh free gas would be interesting. I can see it now "The Year of a Million Gallons" brought to you by Chevron with Techron.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Defying gravity

Offering free gas as part of a Disneyland package sort of cheapens it to the like of a supermarket.

• Beach Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I don't think DL should be advertised in a way that connects it with real life concerns like gas prices.
    On the one hand they have done contests before -- I remember in the 80s you could win a car. But on the other hand I do see your point -- maybe it would remind people why they aren't driving out to Disneyland for the day so in a sense it would have a connection with outside concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Wow someone was actually watching the Angels, and it wasn't a Little League game...
    By the way they were playing I think a Little League game would have actually been better.

• Sock Puppet

lmao, they need to come up with it..why doesnt disney come up with anything useful like that...we dont need anymore mouse ears!!!! WE NEED GAS!!!!!!!!

• Senior Minion

I'd rather they gave away a bunch of hybrids, at least that would be better publicity.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Merry 2014!

Disneyland doesn't need to drive in customers like other entertainment might. Not yet anyway.
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

• I'm a fiddle player......

LET's GO OAKLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ANGELS ARE NO GOOD

• "I Break Things"

I am still getting over the notion that someone was watching the Angel Game... wasn't there something else on, possibly a good "How to Knit" on PBS or something. All joking aside... were you really watching an Angels Game? new technology called Tivo... really helps I swear!

Quote Originally Posted by napamaninsocal View Post
    LET's GO OAKLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ANGELS ARE NO GOOD
    Wow... those are fighting words on aisle 3 at K-Mart... where all the clearance merchandise is half off. You can get Angels, A's and Broncos merch... practically giving it away (probably a reason for that).

• Beach Expert

Let's keep this thread on topic.

There's a thread in the sports forum called "Talkin' Baseball..." where we can all debate about who has the better team. That's not what this thread is about.

As far as the tivo thing -- this is my parents TV and I've tried to solicit the DVR service through Cox with them until I'm blue in the face -- it's only $5 more per month. But being that they're almost 80 they can barely figure how to work the TV itself. And they never watch dvd's unless I set it up for them.

Being that the Angels bring in around 3 million fans per year they must be doing something right. Of course this promotion is not the sole reason, especially because this is the first time they've done it. But if gas prices continue to have an effect on people visiting Disneyland, maybe this is a promotion that Disney might want to look into in order to help bump attendance.

• Rear Window=Best Movie

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    yeah, i agree. disneyland is a way to escape your problems and concerns and your real world problems.

but, i would like some free gas.

• Ohhh baboo :(

10 miles from the DLR. AP Holder for 9 years.

Yeah, I don't know. Doesn't sit right with me. Maybe they could give away hybrids or something instead. For some reason the thought of Disneyland "giving away free gas" sounds cheap. If that makes any sense.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Let's keep this thread on topic.

There's a thread in the sports forum called "Talkin' Baseball..." where we can all debate about who has the better team. That's not what this thread is about.

As far as the tivo thing -- this is my parents TV and I've tried to solicit the DVR service through Cox with them until I'm blue in the face -- it's only $5 more per month. But being that they're almost 80 they can barely figure how to work the TV itself. And they never watch dvd's unless I set it up for them.

Being that the Angels bring in around 3 million fans per year they must be doing something right. Of course this promotion is not the sole reason, especially because this is the first time they've done it. But if gas prices continue to have an effect on people visiting Disneyland, maybe this is a promotion that Disney might want to look into in order to help bump attendance.
    I wish to convey my sincerest apologies for the potential derailing material that I had posted earlier. I capitalized on an opportunity to joke with sports fans because honestly I do not follow any specific team, or for that matter any specific sport. I am not so sure about the gas offer but I do see comedy in Disneyland advertising an SUV (even an economical one) when there is a gas crunch going on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast