Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Disney/WWE/Anime fan

Guess noone says Disney california adventure anymore for a specific attraction?

I just saw CBS2 is runnng a contest where you can be one of the first to ride TSM but they kept showing and saying it was in the Disneyland resort.
    shouldnt the commercial say california adventure? or since its part of disneyland they dont need to say it?

Im just afraid someone will go to DL and try to find TSM and not find it only to find out its in the other park.

Re: Guess noone says Disney california adventure anymore for a specific attraction?

Welcome to the controversy. Ive seen the commercial running on TV as well. It does indeed say Disneyland Resort...THEN it tells you to buy a park hopper pass.
    Thats reprehensible.

• Sock Puppet

Re: Guess noone says Disney california adventure anymore for a specific attraction?

They are trying to deny the existence of DCA.

Guest: I couldn't find TSM. Is it at DCA?
    Marketing: DCA? What's that?

• Senior Minion

Um, yeah this has been discussed extensively for months on MC and every other Disney related web site.

Marketing is basically a bunch of pigheaded egomaniacs, who apparently, at their own discression, decide to market attractions under any name they darn well please. (They have apparently also decided that they will not use the name DCA for anything anymore, because in their eyes it is a permanently damaged brand.)
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

i've also heard rumors that they're not saying it's in DCA because there's a possible name change in the future...

• Progressive Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    They have apparently also decided that they will not use the name DCA for anything anymore, because in their eyes it is a permanently damaged brand.
    IMO, an attraction like TSM should be used to enhance the DCA brand. Its existence in the park automatically helps improve the park and becomes a building block that shows that DCA is moving in the right direction.

To me, they should use TSM as the new starting point for the future of DCA and begin to really hype all of the exciting changes, attractions & features coming to the park.

It's an absolutely simple answer: outside of people who follow Disney parks (ie, the actual people they're marketing the ride to), the average person would NOT know what "California Adventure" is, whereas probably damn near 100% of people in California know where Disneyland is.

If they said that the ride was at "California Adventure" way MORE people would be confused about where the ride is than saying it's at "Disneyland Resort". Is it just saying that it's somewhere in California? Is that a new Disney theme park not in Anaheim?

Keep in mind that these ads are targeted towards very casual Disneyland visitors who do not have the knowledge of the parks that everyone here has.

• Defying gravity

Everyone knows that Toy Story Mania/Toy Story Midway Mania (depending on the sign) is at the DisneylandResort

• Defying gravity

Quote Originally Posted by jett View Post
    It's an absolutely simple answer: outside of people who follow Disney parks (ie, the actual people they're marketing the ride to), the average person would NOT know what "California Adventure" is, whereas probably damn near 100% of people in California know where Disneyland is.

If they said that the ride was at "California Adventure" way MORE people would be confused about where the ride is than saying it's at "Disneyland Resort". Is it just saying that it's somewhere in California? Is that a new Disney theme park not in Anaheim?

Keep in mind that these ads are targeted towards very casual Disneyland visitors who do not have the knowledge of the parks that everyone here has.
    Wouldn't it be safe to say though that the average Disneyland visitor is from California? DL is largely a local park...

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess4590 View Post
    Wouldn't it be safe to say though that the average Disneyland visitor is from California? DL is largely a local park...
    Exactly. They know where Disneyland is... but if you just point blank asked a random person where "California Adventure" was, they'd probably stare at you blankly. If you followed up with "it's that Disney park that's right next to Disneyland in Anaheim" people would probably realize what you were talking about, but a 30 second spot can't explain all of that.

For example, I also bet people would be confused if things were marketed as being at "Animal Kingdom" instead of "Walt Disney World". The average person might not realize that Animal Kingdom was a park there... personally I know that I didn't until a few years ago when I actually started to follow Disneyland news online.

• Defying gravity

Quote Originally Posted by jett View Post
    Exactly. They know where Disneyland is... but if you just point blank asked a random person where "California Adventure" was, they'd probably stare at you blankly. If you followed up with "it's that Disney park that's right next to Disneyland in Anaheim" people would probably realize what you were talking about, but a 30 second spot can't explain all of that.

For example, I also bet people would be confused if things were marketed as being at "Animal Kingdom" instead of "Walt Disney World". The average person might not realize that Animal Kingdom was a park there... personally I know that I didn't until a few years ago when I actually started to follow Disneyland news online.

I fail to believe that Southern Californians - the majority of DLR guests - do not know where/what Disney's California Adventure is. That is the point I was trying to make.

I might agree with you about WDW though...tourists =

These are the same people that when you tell them you are going to Disneyland, ask "The one in California or Florida?"

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

And for the record, Mr Potato Head only refers to it as

"Midway Mania" in a song he sings it:

"MID-WAY MAY-NIA, you'll love this this game, it's so IN-SANE-NIA!"

Then there are the people like my brother who insists on calling it the "California Experience" It drives me crazy!
    Matthew

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

Or those who just call it "California".

Believe me- I've heard this more times than I can count.

"Hey, kids- let's go over to California!" (says a dad who's currently in Disneyland)

• Having an Unbirthday

Issues with TDA Marketing Dept aside (a bunch of tools who need a come-uppance, IMO) why not pull an "Angels" on DCA?

"Disney's California Adventure at the Disneyland Resort"

A bit long to put on a banner, I know.
    I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast