• Closet DLR fan

Advice needed for a late Sept/early Oct trip

I have only been to Disneyland twice, and those trips were a week apart last September. However, I get to go back - in theory - at the end of September or early October. I have a ton of questions, so I'm just going to stick them all in one post, which I hope is all right. I hardly ever post here, but I read the boards every day, and I feel like you guys are the most friendly and nicest group of people I've ever had the pleasure to encounter online. I'm also consistently impressed with the depth of your knowledge about Disneyland, a place I am rapidly becoming obsessed with. So any help/advice y'all can give me would be greatly appreciated.

-I'll be going with one of my good friends, and it'll probably be on either Friday, Sept. 30th, or Saturday, Oct. 1st. Should I be expecting major crowds, or will it have died down a bit since school will have started and everything? I'm assuming weekends are more crowded than weekdays, but I want to go on a Fri or Sat so we can see Fantasmic, which leads to my next question...

-If we go on a day with two shows of Fantasmic, any advice on which one is more enjoyable/less crowded? Is it worth it to spring for the designated viewing seats/dessert package thingie?

-The closure of Haunted Mansion for the holiday overlay ends on Sept. 29, right before we get there. Are the dates for the closure pretty firm, or does it sometimes stay closed later than they say it will? I imagine the first days that it's open will be pretty packed... Do they do Fastpass for it? What about single rider?

-Which rides do have a single rider line, and which ones would you recommend using it for? It seems like whenever I try to find information on it, all I can find are discussions about which rides don't, and why (such as Indy.)

The rides we hit last time:
    Pirates (repeatedly)
    Splash Mountain
    Thunder Mountain
    Indy (repeatedly)
    Winnie the Pooh
    the King Arthur Carousel
    Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
    Alice in Wonderland
    Autopia
    the one with the rocketships that you can make go up and down (Wow, I'm feeling very articulate today.)
    (And a bunch in DCA, but I don't think I'll be going there this time around.)

Space Mountain, the Matterhorn, and Haunted Mansion were all closed when I was there last, so we'll definitely do those. (The castle was also covered up for its 50th anniversary renovation.) What else do you recommend as a can't-miss that I haven't already seen?

Thank you so much for your help!

• CM for 4 years!

Re: Advice needed for a late Sept/early Oct trip

You will be seeing A LOT (and by a lot I mean A LOT) of goth types at the park on that weekend for the opening of HMH. I went to the park on this weekend two years ago, and it was relatively crowded, like a day in May.

In DLP, the only ride that has single rider any more is Splash Mountain, and unless you can snag a FastPass for this, I recommend using the SR line.

In DCA, Screamin', Grizzly River Run, Soarin', and Mulholland Madness all have a Single Rider line.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• Closet DLR fan

Ooh, a park full of goths would actually be an incentive to go that particular weekend...

• Rock Star Minion

1. HM overlay is, I think, a well-planned closure, as they've done it for a few years now. It will open when the schedule says so.
    2. Later Fantasmic! is always less crowded. Fewer families with kids, mostly. And since there is less time to wait, there will be more opportunities to get a good spot.

3. There aren't many rides with single rider. Splash, I think, is all there is. For many rides, though, you can get on a train or jeep or two earlier if you tell the row manager (tells you which row to go into) that you're a single. Not a lot of savings, but better than nothing. I don't see the point of a single rider line for HMH. Each seats two, and there are two of you, and there is no wait for the buggies.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• -Going Retro-

Isan't bats day before Gay Days? Sept 30th-Oct3rd is Gay Day's

• Rock Star Minion

Bat's Day is generally the first unblocked SoCal Sunday after Summer block-out season.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

you will likely see more RED than BLACK in early October...

http://www.gayday2.com/html/home.html

Bats Day in the Fun Parkô 7 Weekend Information

DLR hotels, as well as Good Neighbor hotels are almost completely sold-out in early October...so expect higher than average attendance.

the second performance of Fantasmic! is a better choice and Premium Viewing on the Disney Gallery Balcony is well worth the price. note: when there are TWO performances of Fantasmic! scheduled, high attendance is projected. plan ahead to be ready to move into the show area AND avoid the mass exodus from the first performance...i suggest approaching from Big Thunder Trail.

HMH installation WILL be completed as scheduled.

have a great time

• Banned User

DLR hotels, as well as Good Neighbor hotels are almost completely sold-out in early October...so expect higher than average attendance.

you know I love that disneyland has be fixed up and cleaned and new attractions added, but it sucks that all these people are going now. I loved when you could walk around DL in months like Oct and May and no one would be there. Aw the good ol days!

good ol' days indeed. back in the day, the park was closed on mondays and tuesdays. what joy it was to take a lunch break on a bench near the Rivers of America and watch the ducks play... with not a soul in sight.

• Who's your DaddyB?

Melmel was just saying that there will be many goths on that weekend because of the opening of HMH, not that it was Gaydays.

So evidently, there will be many gay and lesbian goths in the parks that weekend! WHEW!

I think I might be there just for the mayhem!
    ---------------------------------------------

a walk around the park... Star Tours, Nemo, Fantasyland, Frontierland, DCA... and more!

• Minion

[QUOTE=skycrashesdown]
    -I'll be going with one of my good friends, and it'll probably be on either Friday, Sept. 30th, or Saturday, Oct. 1st. Should I be expecting major crowds, or will it have died down a bit since school will have started and everything? [QUOTE]

Be forewarned, it is also the 50th Anniversary of the Mickey Mouse Club, and there is some rumors that there will be a celebration, including numerous Mouseketeers there.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• LoisAlene

Well I hope they're ALL gone by October 3rd! I want the park to myself for my birthday!

War is over if you want it...

Peace - Love - Mickey Mouse

• Closet DLR fan

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t
    Be forewarned, it is also the 50th Anniversary of the Mickey Mouse Club, and there is some rumors that there will be a celebration, including numerous Mouseketeers there.
    Yegawds, I guess we picked a fairly eventful weekend.

By a strange coincidence, ninety percent of my clothing is either red or black, so I guess I'll fit right in. I think being there for Gay Day would be a lot of fun, actually. One of my co-workers told me about how her marching band in high school did a big trip to Disney World. Her school colors were red and black, and since black is much too hot for Florida, they all had to wear matching red shirts the entire time they were there. ... And of course, it turned out to be Gay Day the weekend they visited.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by skycrashesdown
    I have only been ...< snip > So any help/advice y'all can give me would be greatly appreciated.

-I'll be going with one of my good friends, and it'll probably be on either Friday, Sept. 30th, or Saturday, Oct. 1st. Should I be expecting major crowds, or will it have died down a bit since school will have started and everything? I'm assuming weekends are more crowded than weekdays, but I want to go on a Fri or Sat so we can see Fantasmic, which leads to my next question...
    It should be better than right now, but with the 50th on, who knows...

-If we go on a day with two shows of Fantasmic, any advice on which one is more enjoyable/less crowded? Is it worth it to spring for the designated viewing seats/dessert package thingie?
    There are a variety of strategies that work here. Depends on your priorities. If you just want to see it, just get in there a bit ahead of either show. Is Remember a priority for you too?

-The closure of Haunted Mansion for the holiday overlay ends on Sept. 29, right before we get there. Are the dates for the closure pretty firm, or does it sometimes stay closed later than they say it will? I imagine the first days that it's open will be pretty packed... Do they do Fastpass for it? What about single rider?
    They've had it in the past for Holiday, and I believe it will continue each time they run the overlay. And since you're fine with Goth go for it. As far as Single Rider, as Mel Mel pointed out, it's almost nonexistant at Disneyland itself.

-Which rides do have a single rider line, and which ones would you recommend using it for? It seems like whenever I try to find information on it, all I can find are discussions about which rides don't, and why (such as Indy.)
    Again, Melmel did a great job on this one.

The rides we hit last time:
    Pirates (repeatedly)
    Splash Mountain
    Thunder Mountain
    Indy (repeatedly)
    Winnie the Pooh
    the King Arthur Carousel
    Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
    Alice in Wonderland
    Autopia
    < snip > Astro Orbitors < snip >
    (And a bunch in DCA, but I don't think I'll be going there this time around.)

Space Mountain, the Matterhorn, and Haunted Mansion were all closed when I was there last, so we'll definitely do those. (The castle was also covered up for its 50th anniversary renovation.) What else do you recommend as a can't-miss that I haven't already seen?
    Wow, you cannot miss the following- Peter Pan, It's A Small World, Canal Boats and/or Casey Jr., Star Tours, Buzz, the Monorail, and most important, the Train Ride around the park. It's well worth it. If you can do Mark Twain, Columbia, or the Canoes.

Thank you so much for your help!