Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: Facing fears at Disneyland..

When I was little I was too scared to go on Pirates, HM, Splash, Matterhorn or BTMR. Pirates because one of my friends told me about the drops. HM because it was a haunted house. Splash because of the final drop. Matterhorn because I could hear everyone screaming from the Skyway. And BTMR because it was a roller coaster. I've since conquered most of my fears. Now the only 2 rides in the park that I won't go on are Splash and Space. I've tried Space 3 times now and have hatted it every time. Was forced onto Splash once and I'm never doing that again. Now, as for DCA, that's another story. Over there I won't go on Screamin', TOT, Maliboomer, Bug's Life, or Mulholand Madness. I've been on the latter two once, but I don't care to repeat them.

I can only remember being scared of Matterhorn when I was a kid because of the monster but thats about it. Just curious to the people that are scared of the roller coasters at Disneyland, I'm taking it you've never been on the ones at Magic Mountain? The ones at DL seem SO tame in comparison.

• we jumped out a window

When I was around 6 or 7, I was mortified when the knight touched my shoulder in HM. It took a few years after that before I got over it. I still went on during those years but always with a wary glance at what was coming up ahead.

Nowadays, you couldn't get me to ride Maliboomer and the Sun Wheel. I'll ride just about anything else at Six Flags over those two (well, except for rides similar to Maliboomer).

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I tend to read about park rides before I visit the parks. Then I know what to expect. I know what I can handle, and what I can't. One ride that I thought that I could handle was Dinosaur at Animal Kingdom. I have ridden it twice, and I find it jerky, noisy, and way too loud. I won't do that ride again. It just makes me want to put my head down, and hold on. No fun at all.
    Disneyland Here I Come Again!
    October 1, to October 6, 2015

• Rear Window=Best Movie

At least I'm not alone.... I use to fear everything at the parks. I'll go on stuff I know, but I'm very hesitant to try anything new. But, on HM @ WDW their's a knight that moves and I got stuck by him for 26 min. (yep, i counted). scared the dickens out of me. i'm prone to having the ride breakdown while i'm on it. (bad luck)

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    I tend to read about park rides before I visit the parks. Then I know what to expect. I know what I can handle, and what I can't.
    Exactly. That also tells me what rides I don't want to ride because of my fear of audio-animatronics.

• How quaint...

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyM View Post
    Exactly. That also tells me what rides I don't want to ride because of my fear of audio-animatronics.
    My mom has the exact same fears!

Another childhood memory I have is of her for the first time in Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln. The curtain opened and she saw him sitting there. When his fingers started moving, she got real nervous. But when Abe stood up, my mom picked up her purse!

I asked her later why she did that, and she said that if Abe had come down those stairs into the audience, she was going to club him with her handbag.

Wouldn't that be a lovely memory for a child to have?
    Her mother arrested for braining Mr. Lincoln at Disneyland?

She still doesn't like audio-animatronics either!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

There's plenty of diversity at the parks that we can find things to enjoy. That's what is so great about Disneyland, and Disney World. It is also why I don't always tour 100% of the time with the group that I am traveling with. Everyone has different likes, and dislikes, and this way everyone can maximize their fun.
    Disneyland Here I Come Again!
    October 1, to October 6, 2015

• e komo mai

When I was 10, I was deathly afraid of the Haunted Mansion and Space Mountain. To me and my wild imagination, these ghosts were real and I was actually going into space. I was terrified in line. But after riding both attractions, I found out that by holding my fear in check and riding the rides that I had a great time.

• Disney Starved in AZ

Space Mountain - deathly afraid of roller coasters (got sick on a ride at the university carnival when I was in the 6th grade and since then I've been afraid of anything that goes faster than or jerks more than a skateboard - so to speak) - when I found out this one was in the dark I never wanted to go on it until this past February! Now it's one of my favorite rides (except the part with the spinning tunnel I just have to close my eyes thru that part!)

ToT - I HATE beyond HATE elevators (got in one with my gma when I was a kid and the doors closed before my mom got on, we got to our destination floor, doors opened, no mom! I freaked! That is the only event I could figure made me afraid of them - but I've always enjoyed glass elevators! Maybe the elevator scene in Speed redeemed my hatred for them!)... Normally I will walk miles and do hundreds of stairs to avoid them... understanding this was a ride and we'd be rescued right away if we got stuck I decided to go and it was scarry as hell, but I survived. Will I ride it again... probably not!

I screamed and screamed and screamed when forced on small world cuz I thought it had drops just like on pirates when I was like 8. Now I just scream on small world because the ride drives me nuts...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234