Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Queen Elsa

Re: A waterless Disneyland? (bathrooms)

My work has it and I really don't like it. The reason I don't like it. Cause after useing it so much without water in it it's going to start to smell the who place. That's why I don't like them. I like it better with water in the towlets then with out. So I said no to the waterless towlets.

• Don't mess with the duck!

My work also went with a waterless urinal system and it quickly began to smell. Service staff tried changing the cartridges more often, checked pipes, etc. and nothing helped. We now have a scent spray that goes off every so often.

I vote for low-flow toilets. We have these in our home and work very well. Once and a while it may require a two-flusher, but still saves lots of water.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Missviolet View Post
    We have a low flow toilet and it never needs to be double flushed... well, maybe after Chinese food.. but other than that.

We don't have a cartridge in our tank.
    That's because people in this thread are mixing together 'low flow' and 'waterless' systems.. they are separate ideas. 'low flow' are simply systems designed to use less water per flush. They have been mandatory since 1994 that no toilets sold in the US use more then 1.6 gallons per flush (less then half of the water used previously). Newer generation 'WaterSense' toliets can use 1.28 gallons or less and work much better then the first generation toilets through better engineering.

Quote Originally Posted by akfandisney View Post

Let think on the time that you dry your hand.
    How long it take you dry your under a touch free dryers
    the electric power take to dry that hand and cost to dry that hand.
    Except the systems in question (The Dyson AirBlade) actually drys your hands in less then half the time of a convention dryer AND uses no heat. The system is way more energy efficient (dyson claims up to 80% more efficent) AND more time efficient (almost 50%). Using approximately 12 seconds to dry your hands. That's about the same as anyone using paper products and it does not generate any paper waste. Reducing inventory costs... reducing energy costs vs conventional dryers.. reducing labor costs (less trash = less can emptying).. and generating less waste.

Disney should already have low-flow toilets in most places. Better savings could be found with more efficient commodities outside the toilet itself. Solar or geothermal water heaters... reducing paper products and or waste.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    That's because people in this thread are mixing together 'low flow' and 'waterless' systems.. they are separate ideas. 'low flow' are simply systems designed to use less water per flush. They have been mandatory since 1994 that no toilets sold in the US use more then 1.6 gallons per flush (less then half of the water used previously). Newer generation 'WaterSense' toilets can use 1.28 gallons or less and work much better then the first generation toilets through better engineering.
    As I said I was curious what others thought as I did not know a great deal about the waterless technology. At the same time the "sit downs" would need water which is why I tossed in the low flow comment. I am not sure if Disney currently has low flows or not.

Except the systems in question (The Dyson AirBlade) actually drys your hands in less then half the time of a convention dryer AND uses no heat. The system is way more energy efficient (dyson claims up to 80% more efficent) AND more time efficient (almost 50%). Using approximately 12 seconds to dry your hands. That's about the same as anyone using paper products and it does not generate any paper waste. Reducing inventory costs... reducing energy costs vs conventional dryers.. reducing labor costs (less trash = less can emptying).. and generating less waste.
    Not sure if you have read up on the development of this technology but it's funny how some of the most useful inventions were a combination of accidents and annoyance!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Workin to live,lovin life

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post

Disney should already have low-flow toilets in most places. Better savings could be found with more efficient commodities outside the toilet itself. Solar or geothermal water heaters... reducing paper products and or waste.
    Now THAT is awesome... solar/geothermal water heaters would be nice, as well as the Dyson Airblade... I just checked out the Dyson Airblade online right now. Dyson really has a great grasp of the physics of airflow don't they? Love their Vacuum Cleaners!

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    Do Not Want.

Besides the odor problems, and the replacing the cartridge every 7,000 uses (one to three months) and disposal costs of the old cartridge, it will probably cost as much to operate as the water you save did...

The waterless units are also very hard on the drain pipes, as the 'effluent' being put into the urinals is rather corrosive. Using water to flush dilutes that effluent during disposal, but with no water added it is very hard on the (required in commercial buildings) cast iron drain plumbing. It just sits there on the horizontal runs and concentrates through evaporation up the vent stack...

It was a nice idea, but doesn't really work in practice. I suppose if you are in a critical water shortage where it's $10 a gallon, but we are not. Just put in low flow fixtures and be done with it.
    Once again Bruce nails the real problems with waterless urinals. As a service and repair plumbing contractor I can't begin to tell you of how many urinal drains that I've cleared which were completely blocked with urine salts and minerals due to inadequate dilution (i.e. not flushing) of the urinals when the user has finished with his task at/in hand.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by Circarama View Post
    Once again Bruce nails the real problems with waterless urinals. As a service and repair plumbing contractor I can't begin to tell you of how many urinal drains that I've cleared which were completely blocked with urine salts and minerals due to inadequate dilution (i.e. not flushing) of the urinals when the user has finished with his task at/in hand.
    And I'm not even a plumber - only an electrician... But you get good at spotting the root cause when you have to go repair the same kind of things over, and over, and over, and over, and over...

There are two kinds of ideas in this world - those that do work, and those that DON'T. The ones that don't work usually weren't thought through. Or someone did foresee the problems - and the analysis was discounted.

And there are the ideas that offer short term savings - but long term heartache. Example: Direct Buried "UF" Romex for outdoor lighting. It's legal, goes in fast and cheap, works fine - for maybe 10 - 15 years before it starts to fail. And it's inevitably under hardscape, so you are trenching across driveways and walkways to fix it... But the builder got paid, and he only has to warrantee the work for a year tops.

We're going to see a lot of this at DCA, I fear. When you build things on the cheap with no planned growth allowed for, they're going to be redoing water mains and sewer lines and A/C Chilled Water supply/return lines all over the place. Because they didn't allow that they'd want a building added over there -->, never mind it was a big blank space on the map with (Future Show Building) pencilled in.

And the true solution of Utilidors (even a partial system) would be expensive to build, but pay big dividends for decades that would easily offset the initial costs.

"You can pay me now, or you can pay me later."

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Cake Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post

Evil Stepmom needs to tell you the bathroom scrapbook story!... but yeah I am not a camera/bathroom type of person.
    Damn I knew I shouldn't have told you that story!
    Taking contributions to get me back to Disneyland!

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Step-Mom View Post
    Damn I knew I shouldn't have told you that story!
    Greatest scrapbook story ever... now you have to post it!

• Cake Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Greatest scrapbook story ever... now you have to post it!
    It is only great in the fact that I only know of one other DL restroom scrapbook in existence.....beside most MC'ers don't know me yet and I don't want to scare them off to soon.....

• I'm not really here

It is only great in the fact that I only know of one other DL restroom scrapbook in existence.....beside most MC'ers don't know me yet and I don't want to scare them off to soon.....
    Scare us off? This is MiceChat, saavy?

You gotta share this story, now that you have teased it so wonderfully.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Hey, it could be worse - another Disney Fan Site (whose name they would want me to mention, but I won't... ) did a whole website section focused on the potties at DL. With ratings, even. Holy Consumer Reports, Batman!

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• "I Break Things"

Hey, it could be worse - another Disney Fan Site (whose name they would want me to mention, but I won't... ) did a whole website section focused on the potties at DL. With ratings, even. Holy Consumer Reports, Batman!

--<< Bruce >>--
    We did a best n worst here... worst ended up being the ones in NOS by the train station if I remember correctly!

• Cake Anyone?

--<< Bruce >>--
    Okay here is where my confession comes in. Yes, I once only read that site but in my defense I didn't know about this wonderful place at that time. Anyway when I decided to do the scrapbook I of course googled DL restrooms and came up with the article you are talking about. When I was done with the scrapbook I placed a link on that site just so the woman who did the article could see what I had done. Any way here is the link and if you can read the script on the pages you should be able to figure out why I did it. Oh and the password is scrapboook

http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g4...apbook%202008/

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

I love that story, haha!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast