Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• "I Break Things"

A waterless Disneyland? (bathrooms)

Something I thought about the other day. Disney must spend a small fortune each and every day when people in the resort flush the toilet. I think the main reason I was thinking about this, is that a lot of places I have been recently have moved to the "waterless" variety. As if this conversion wasn't enough, you are always greeted with a sign stating their decision to go waterless, and their commitment to the environment, and how they are saving x amount of gallons per day. Obviously this doesn't apply to everything, the sit down variety still has some water, but even those are converting to "low flow" these days. Probably cost a small fortune to upgrade a bathroom to this new "waterless" and "low flow" tech, but sounds great to me if it is helping save some water and puts a penny back in the business pocket. Many zoo's and aquariums who have limited budgets are able to do this and promote it as saving the environment, while saving them a couple bucks. What about Disneyland... not like they are hurting for money there. Granted at this point there is a plan in the works to recycle waste water into drinking water anyways... not a big fan of that sorry, no matter how you try to dress it up that water wasn't always clean... so I was wondering what others thought. Should Disneyland go waterless?
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: A waterless Disneyland? (bathrooms)

Normally Disney is on the cutting edge of making things enviro-friendly. I think this would be a good move.

• Banned User

It would be very unwise not to go low flow where it can be used practically, especially in Southern California. It's an environmental thing, it's a money thing, but it's also a smart way to conserve water; something LA just can't afford to waste. I mean, it's not easy getting water down there, and it's not as abundant as one might like. In a sense, it's like gas.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

My folks have "low flow" toilets and we have them at my job too. I like them better than the lord knows how old toilet in my bathroom that uses a bazillion gallons of water every time I flush is. Considering my A/C was 30 years old before they replaced it with an energy efficient one this spring, wouldn't surprise me if the toilet is that old too.

My work went with the waterless toilets. We have regretted the decision ever since. What they do not tell you about the waterless is that the chemical cartridge has to be changed every so many uses. Each cartridge costs about 50 dollars. And if you do not use have enough uses in a certain amount of time you still have to change them every 3 months. So on a minimum the cost per urinal is 200 dollars per year. With the amount of uses the disney toilets get they would probably have to change them every month so that would work out to about 600 bucks. I wonder if they actually flush 600 dollars of water per urinal per month?

Then the final problem is you have to discard safely the chemical cartridge and that is not cheap and then the toilet also has a smell that we can not seem to get ride of because of the urine going through the chemical cartridge. Very Very EWWW.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

The Irvine Company has recently installed low-flow urinals in all of its retail properties, including the Irvine Spectrum Center and Fashion Island.

It's large and doesn't have water in it but has a special opening on the bottom that leads to the drain. I wish I had a picture of one, like a good Micechatter should but I don't usually take too many pictures of urinals!

But yah. Actually I was thinking that they should install these in Diseyland...

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by stagefx View Post
    My work went with the waterless toilets. We have regretted the decision ever since. What they do not tell you about the waterless is that the chemical cartridge has to be changed every so many uses. Each cartridge costs about 50 dollars. And if you do not use have enough uses in a certain amount of time you still have to change them every 3 months. So on a minimum the cost per urinal is 200 dollars per year. With the amount of uses the disney toilets get they would probably have to change them every month so that would work out to about 600 bucks. I wonder if they actually flush 600 dollars of water per urinal per month?

Then the final problem is you have to discard safely the chemical cartridge and that is not cheap and then the toilet also has a smell that we can not seem to get ride of because of the urine going through the chemical cartridge. Very Very EWWW.
    Thank you, and welcome to Micechat. It is information like this that is useful, I am not familiar with the purchase, installation, and upkeep costs. I want to say the current urinals are either 1gal or .5gal per flush... can't remember... but given the amount of use they get the water bill is likely just as high. Also as I said most zoos and aquariums have standardized on this, and while it is not Disneyland, they get a lot of use.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I wish I had a picture of one, like a good Micechatter should but I don't usually take too many pictures of urinals!
    Evil Stepmom needs to tell you the bathroom scrapbook story!... but yeah I am not a camera/bathroom type of person.

There is actually signs in some of the Knott's restrooms stating that photography is strictly prohibited... I was shocked they needed to put a sign up.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Troublemaker

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Thank you, and welcome to Micechat. It is information like this that is useful, I am not familiar with the purchase, installation, and upkeep costs. I want to say the current urinals are either 1gal or .5gal per flush... can't remember... but given the amount of use they get the water bill is likely just as high. Also as I said most zoos and aquariums have standardized on this, and while it is not Disneyland, they get a lot of use.

Evil Stepmom needs to tell you the bathroom scrapbook story!... but yeah I am not a camera/bathroom type of person.

There is actually signs in some of the Knott's restrooms stating that photography is strictly prohibited... I was shocked they needed to put a sign up.
    I'm glad Disneyland hasn't done that yet. I would have lost out on one of the two good corny moments of our Indy podcast! :-)

The only problem i see with low flow is the amount of problems that might arise from clogged toilets. People tend to throw all kinds of thinsg in these toilets that could easily clog the toilet. The high pressure water they use assures that everything is flushed down and thru the pipes.

What they should consider is the waterless urinals. My company changed to them a year ago and the reduce cost of water was significant. We had them changed in about 35 urinals and did see a diference in water being saved. I could imagine Disney has many more urinals than that though.

The only problem like mentioned above is the upkeep, it could be costly and requires proper scheduling. With the amount of urinals in Disney they would realy need to make sure that it is worth the change.

• Little Miss Sunshine

It seems that low-flow toilets often need to be flushed more than once...
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• Merry 2014!

How earth friendly is it to dispose of those chemicals in the filters of the "waterless" toilets?
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

• Sugar & Spice

Blog Entries

Both seem like good solutions but no matter what we do there is some kind of problem ie: waterless chemicals vs. water usage. I like the low flow toilet idea... but there is the issue of needing to flush more than once. It would be nice to be able to do a comparison of the regular toilet flush with a low flow twice or three times.

Anyone know if there are consumer reports on these yet?
    <3 There are a million cupcakes in the world but only one is Cupcake Terror. <3

I AM THE REBEL SPY.

• Is it summer yet???

Quote Originally Posted by nbodyhome View Post
    It seems that low-flow toilets often need to be flushed more than once...
    My thoughts exactly! That always happens to me at Angel Stadium and, at the risk of TMI (which most of you love anyway), I just hate leaving any "physical evidence" behind!
    Rally Rat, Oh how I've missed thee!

• Sugar & Spice

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasmico! View Post
    How earth friendly is it to dispose of those chemicals in the filters of the "waterless" toilets?
    Not at all unless it leaves ZERO FOOTPRINT. I highly doubt it but there's always wishing. Maybe it can be recycled... etc.
    <3 There are a million cupcakes in the world but only one is Cupcake Terror. <3

I AM THE REBEL SPY.

• Banned User

the chemical cartridges used in the low flush toilets:

a) are they harmful to the environment?
    b) are they harmful to us?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast