Trip Report: 7/3, 7/4, and 7/6! (Stuck on Monorail Red)

Okay, I'll start this off saying I had a great time as usual, but I have to point issues out. =-)

Got there early on the 3rd, overall had a great time.. my wife is pregnant with twins, so she wanted to avoid most of the E tickets, so we went on most of the older rides, some I hadn't been on in over a decade. Crowd seemed a tad light compared to last year. Had lunch at the Jazz Kitchen, great as EVER (I highly recommend this place, great food and service...)

TOY STORY MANIA is fantastic... wait times (All around noon) btw were 45 mins on the 3rd, about 50 mins on the 4th, and 25 mins on the 6th.... they seemed long, but it moves quickly. Scores were 120K, 140K, and 144K.

July 4th, Continued on, with a 3 day pass, it was great to sit around and watch the park. Crowds were fairly light at first, but got to insane in the afternoon.

I was able to ride on Monorail Red just before 1PM... and... enjoyed the ride from tomorrowland, we get to the Matterhorn, and we have to wait for Purple to leave. It's not too bad, the fans inside were still working, but then the driver get on the intercom (which kept popping in and out) That monorail Purple needs to be towed back to the depot, and that we'll need to backup and wait.

So we backup and wait, with about 12 people in our car... then the mule comes out and they cue power to the fans... so we're sitting over Autopia for about 25 mins, in direct sun, in Monorail Red without the fans running.

The good news... is we survived... but we were "fanning" outselves with anything that could be used as a fan... about 15 min in a monther with two children starts panicking, saying the driver much be lying, calls the Disneyland switchboard saying we're going to die, and then tell everone that our train has lost power and it'll be another 30 mins for them to tow us.

Now during this time the driver is telling us... just a few more minutes...and he was right, we got moving in the timeframe the driver stated. It WAS HOT, but nothing near dangerous.... It was probably about 80-85 in the car at the time.

But I was able to get a picture from the inside of the great "fix" using the escape hatches... problem is they don't work when you don't move (they do work quite well in motion though)... Notice the tape... it seems they quickly thre things together to get this up and running.

Interesting was the driver was saying that the A/C isn't working in the drivers bubble. (This seems to be correct as when we got on someone wanted to get in the front and they said that the A/C was not working and therefore only the drivers were being allowed in)... so it looks like the small part that DOES have A/C has issues.

Once we got off the train, they gave us "Re admittance Passes" for any ride.

Still nice ride, and overall not bad, since it was quite warm outside, and this was probably one of the "worse case" breakdowns... I think they could get the new Monorails up full time sooner than later.

Now the fireworks... ugh... One... Disney kept selling tickets, more and more tickets, it was insane, people lineing up 4 hours before. I lined up over 2 hours before and was in front of the camera store.

Now, I fully understand why Disney had to cut the show short , but I'm still amazed that Disney... 1) Doesn't do something to entertain people in the crowds... a simple "Trivia Game" over the intercom would be better than anything (and a game forcing people to stand up rather than cast members screaming for people to stand up so they can shoe-horn a few more customers in main street. 2) Come up with a "In case of high winds" plan...
    A light show to the music, something... ANYTHING rather than cutting the music and telling people to get lost. (I had to argue a few times when cast members were basically forcing people to leave the park through a back gate, when all I wanted to do was go to Tomorrowland (since I still had 2 hours before the park officially closed).

Last Day on the 6th we had a nice relaxing day, decided to watch the Electrical Parade... for the first time since it was "put away" for Light Magic =-). I was at the "Last" performance... (as "Main Street"). Still an amazing parade... and glad it seems to have a home.

Okay... another gripe.

I've never had a harder time buying food than this time. Other than at Rancho del Zocalo, (Which is Fast)... the "average" time was about 10 mins for every customer in front of you. I was at the Enchanted Cottage, and there was 4 people in front of me... it took 50 mins before I had my two Brauts... on a bun that was rock hard... and then they forgot the chips, I took a few steps before I noticed, walked back and told them, and somehow in this 10 seconds the cast member forgot who I was, but 2 minutes later she was able to take the 3 steps over to the vat of chips and hand them with an apology about the wait... which I kept hearing more, and more at every food line... the Disney fix is to simply apologize for the wait, rather than fix the problem. Yes, it's nice and all that you are sorry, and I know that the "Disney" Customer Service... but come on... over and over again, no matter where I went, it was just as bad. (And strangely I didn't have this issue at Disney World Last Year... and it's much worse than Disneyland was last year on the same weekend.

The Enchanted Cottage is a great example... they had about 4 people working there, and I was thinking... hey, they're basically not that different that Costco's food court...

Why is it that Costco can serve hundreds of people an hour, with about the same staff levels?

Disney needs to hire Costco to run it's concession stands... =-). Hell, they could doube the staffing (or pay the staff more to get better-trained staff) and make the difference (and then some) in increased sales... this is basic economics...

• Goofy

Re: Trip Report: 7/3, 7/4, and 7/6! (Stuck on Monorail Red)

july is crazy month to go to disneyland.

• FastPass n00b

Quote Originally Posted by pinkertonfloyd View Post
    Now, I fully understand why Disney had to cut the show short , but I'm still amazed that Disney... 1) Doesn't do something to entertain people in the crowds... a simple "Trivia Game" over the intercom would be better than anything (and a game forcing people to stand up rather than cast members screaming for people to stand up so they can shoe-horn a few more customers in main street. 2) Come up with a "In case of high winds" plan...
    A light show to the music, something... ANYTHING rather than cutting the music and telling people to get lost. (I had to argue a few times when cast members were basically forcing people to leave the park through a back gate, when all I wanted to do was go to Tomorrowland (since I still had 2 hours before the park officially closed).
    These are excellent ideas! They don't cost any money at all and solve a lot of nagging problems with a very easy and palatable solution. It's a shame they pay the Disney MBAs so much money to come up with elaborate and expensive measures when all it takes is creative ideas such as these. Personally, I feel all that "training" the Disney suits got from the MBA classes clouded any sense of creative thinking or problem solving. If it can't be put in a chart or financial report, they're clueless how to solve it. These truly are fabulous ideas though!

As for the heat in the Monorail, it sounds like some people were wigging out over nothing. It was 95 degrees the day I went to Knott's Berry Farm and I was in small outdoor building for Jaguar with about 50 other people...it must have been close to 110 degrees in that line. It was uncomfortable, sure, but people get too entitled nowadays. If it's not 70-74 degrees inside a building or vehicle, people scream to high heaven. Now if it's cold, that's a different matter. I can stand being hot and sweating like crazy, but if it's 20 degrees out and there's no heat, it's terribly uncomfortable. SoCal is not immune to these temperatures, it was wise to make the new fan-panels interchangable since no one is going to want that Arctic breeze blowing inside an already frozen cabin.

I know people usually require pictures of their trips, but I prefer this near-pictureless format much better because I like to save my Disneyland images for when I actually get there.
    Last edited by Athlonacon; 07-07-2008 at 08:57 PM.