View Poll Results: With all the new shows coming out next year, should Disney extend Peak Hours till 1AM

Voters
183. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. 1AM Sounds Great!!

    113 61.75%
  • No. Isn't Midnight enough???

    55 30.05%
  • Doesn't Matter!

    15 8.20%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 98
  1. #46

    • Can see my car from here
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    The OC
    Posts
    740

    Re: With a new world of Entertainment next year, let's let Disneyland operate till 1A

    Quote Originally Posted by NCTJoe View Post
    ... they'd be leaving around 2:30-3:00 AM!!! That puts them on the road with all the drunks coming home from partying. ...
    That's not true. When I'm drunk that late at night I don't drive on the road. I drive on the sidewalks just to be safe.

    Staying open until 1am would be great!
    Far from the frenzy of the frantic world above.

  2. #47

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    JSC
    Posts
    1,879

    Re: With a new world of Entertainment next year, let's let Disneyland operate till 1A

    I can't believe they ever stopped staying open until 1 AM during the summer, at least.

  3. #48

    • Sock Puppet
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    36

    Re: With a new world of Entertainment next year, let's let Disneyland operate till 1A

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Chopsticks View Post
    That'd be murder on the 3rd shift crews..
    no it wouldn't, after all it's been said on here before that alot don't like the 3rd shift crews. why should anything be done to make our job easier? after all, we are just ex cons or current cons out there to harm all your children and prowl the dark corners of main street and toontown at 2:45 am in the morning....

    managers treat us like trash, guests treat us like trash, 1st and second shift people treat us like trash, and so forth. i've watched 3rd shift cast members walk past 1st and second shift cast members and try to talk to them, getting ignored, looked at like "oh lord, who let this escape" and/or usually get snippy stuff said to them

    I would love to see a 1 am closing, main street is open until 2 am, finally everyone and their last straggler gets kicked out around 3-4 am, early entry at 7 am... (or why not 6 am to cater to the many so the few can suffer?)

    the park will suffer alot. Want to see just how screwed up a policy can be pertaining to something? look no further then the fire engine that drives up and down mainstreet. Got parked a while back for it's brake system failing, operations was refusing to grant any money for it's rare parts needed until it fully broke. broke it did, wouldn't stop at all. money went through asap, the workers who maintain the vehicles hoped it would be a chance to get it down in a extended refurb, but nope. fixed and dumped back out there asap.

    Operations refuses to release the vehicle for a extended refurb, look at the passengers side back wheel, one of it's spokes is cracked due to overzealous work with a air gun tightening the bolts on... the brass is heavily trashed, when I used to work in that area, I refused to polish any of it. it's past the point of polishing it, it needs to be stripped down to every last bolt and axle then replated/sanded/prepped from the ground up.

    I can't help but look at that vehicle with utter disgust, the cast members voice echoing in my head as it drives down main street "we have asked numerous times to let it be refurbed, but we are constantly turned down. it's needed in parades, on main street all the time, it's a popular attraction. just last week it was at a long beach parade.."

    that vehicle is considered the voice of disneyland as evidenced by sending it out to classic fire engine shows, etc. in that condition?! ugh, if I was the manager of the park, I would be horribly disgusted that thing even left the property in that condition....

    what do we know though, we are just ex-cons prowling the dark recesses of the park at 2:45 am.....
    Last edited by custodialcleaner; 07-09-2008 at 12:00 PM.

  4. #49

    • Special Agent
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,725

    Re: With a new world of Entertainment next year, let's let Disneyland operate till 1A

    Quote Originally Posted by mrfantasmic View Post
    It is not. There's a tried-and-true method for dealing with Fantasmic! and fireworks, and a parade would just make things more spread out.
    Things were WAY different back then. Fantasy in the Sky was just a short collection of aerial shells that could be enjoyed from anywhere in the park equally. Believe and Remember were specifically designed to utilize the hub as a seating area.

    As it is right now, people start staking out spots for the fireworks after the last parade at 7:30. How could you run a parade down Main Street at 8:30 if it's already full of people waiting for the fireworks?

    Main Street has a higher capacity for fireworks than it does for a parade - since there is far more space in the middle of the street than on the sides of the street. Unless you can somehow convince everyone to not wait for the fireworks or change the show to be less hub-centric then I can't see it working.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric5675 View Post
    I'd like to see when DCA gets all it's upgrades having both parks open the same hours. Well, DCA can open late, but it should stay open late. It is really a night park...
    When that park first opened both DCA and Disneyland closed about the same time and they quickly found out that the parking infrastructure was not sufficient to handle the two parks closing at the same time. If the wait for a tram seems unbearable right after Fantasmic and Fireworks, Imagine if DCA was closing at the same time.

    I don't think the two parks will ever be able to close at the same time.

  5. #50

    • Special Agent
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,725

    Re: With a new world of Entertainment next year, let's let Disneyland operate till 1A

    Quote Originally Posted by Retrocool View Post
    I can't believe they ever stopped staying open until 1 AM during the summer, at least.
    The park is a ghost town at 12. What could be accomplished by staying open until 1? You can already walk onto most attractions for the last hour.

  6. #51

    • It's all about Theme!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,604

    Re: With a new world of Entertainment next year, let's let Disneyland operate till 1A

    Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    Things were WAY different back then. Fantasy in the Sky was just a short collection of aerial shells that could be enjoyed from anywhere in the park equally. Believe and Remember were specifically designed to utilize the hub as a seating area.

    As it is right now, people start staking out spots for the fireworks after the last parade at 7:30. How could you run a parade down Main Street at 8:30 if it's already full of people waiting for the fireworks?

    Main Street has a higher capacity for fireworks than it does for a parade - since there is far more space in the middle of the street than on the sides of the street. Unless you can somehow convince everyone to not wait for the fireworks or change the show to be less hub-centric then I can't see it working.
    The Parade route takes away a little part of the hub. Seating on the Adventureland/Frontierland side as well as in front of the castle could still be utilized before 7:00. Main Street Never fills up until an hour before so that would be fine. The only space that won't be filled up yet would be the Tomorowland side, but folks can still find spots on the sidewalk and later move into the middle of the street after MSEP.
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

    And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

  7. #52

    • Lady & The Tramp
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Glendora, CA
    Posts
    296

    Exclamation Re: With a new world of Entertainment next year, let's let Disneyland operate till 1A

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Chopsticks View Post
    That'd be murder on the 3rd shift crews..
    I, as a guest wouldn't mind going until 1 am, more time to be there. But yeah when I worked there and didn't get out till 1 AM it sucked. My boyfriend's sister did the strollers and she sometimes didn't get out until 3am or 4am. Man it sucked working those hours.

  8. #53

    • Lady & The Tramp
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Glendora, CA
    Posts
    296

    Thumbs up Re: With a new world of Entertainment next year, let's let Disneyland operate till 1A

    Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    The park is a ghost town at 12. What could be accomplished by staying open until 1? You can already walk onto most attractions for the last hour.
    I don't know when you go there, but usually there is still alot of people until it closes, and oh those horrible tram rides back to the parking structure. I still think it would be awesome

  9. #54

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    356

    Re: With a new world of Entertainment next year, let's let Disneyland operate till 1A

    With a 2-year old, we're never there until midnight anyway, so it doesn't really matter to me.


  10. #55

    • .
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,923

    Re: With a new world of Entertainment next year, let's let Disneyland operate till 1A

    Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    Things were WAY different back then. Fantasy in the Sky was just a short collection of aerial shells that could be enjoyed from anywhere in the park equally. Believe and Remember were specifically designed to utilize the hub as a seating area.
    This is true, but the simple way to handle it is to build it into the nighttime routine. After the 6:30 parade, it gives the Guest Control cast members who already have 1 1/2 hours off between parades and fireworks something to do, namely maintain the parade route.

    You're correct on the Hub-centricity of the fireworks. There would need to be an effort to expand comparable viewing areas, but from a Guest Control standpoint, this is an easy puzzle to solve.

  11. #56

    • Special Agent
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,725

    Re: With a new world of Entertainment next year, let's let Disneyland operate till 1A

    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Jr. View Post
    The Parade route takes away a little part of the hub. Seating on the Adventureland/Frontierland side as well as in front of the castle could still be utilized before 7:00. Main Street Never fills up until an hour before so that would be fine. The only space that won't be filled up yet would be the Tomorowland side, but folks can still find spots on the sidewalk and later move into the middle of the street after MSEP.
    Well first of all the Frontierland/Adventureland side of the hub offers HORRIBLE fireworks viewing due to the large trees behind Big Thunder.

    Secondly, following the previous model the evening parade would run from Small World to Main Street leaving Small World at approx 8:30 - with a parade completion time around 9:30. This was never a problem before because most folks never staked out a spot for fireworks since fireworks viewing was the same EVERYWHERE in the park. There was no point in finding a specific spot on Main Street.

    Quote Originally Posted by mrfantasmic View Post
    This is true, but the simple way to handle it is to build it into the nighttime routine. After the 6:30 parade, it gives the Guest Control cast members who already have 1 1/2 hours off between parades and fireworks something to do, namely maintain the parade route
    I don't have any doubt that guest control could certainly keep the parade route clear. They know how to do their job pretty well.

    Mostly though it's just the inconvenience of having so much traffic control being enforced for up to 4 hours (from 6:00-10:00) and the fact that viewing on Main Street for the fireworks will be greatly reduced. Essentially with the previous model, viewing on Main Street would pretty much be limited to those who had just waited to see the parade.


    Quote Originally Posted by kimbaloo05 View Post
    I don't know when you go there, but usually there is still alot of people until it closes, and oh those horrible tram rides back to the parking structure. I still think it would be awesome
    At midnight I can go on even the most popular rides (Space and Nemo) with only a 10 minute wait. Rides like Pirates and Mansion and Splash have almost no wait at all. It's really not that bad at all.

  12. #57

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    JSC
    Posts
    1,879

    Re: With a new world of Entertainment next year, let's let Disneyland operate till 1A

    Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    The park is a ghost town at 12. What could be accomplished by staying open until 1? You can already walk onto most attractions for the last hour.
    And you're complaining about this? You must really enjoy crowds. Consider moving to Tokyo and commuting by train!

  13. #58

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits
    Posts
    3,663

    Re: With a new world of Entertainment next year, let's let Disneyland operate till 1A

    Quote Originally Posted by mrfantasmic View Post
    You're correct on the Hub-centricity of the fireworks. There would need to be an effort to expand comparable viewing areas, but from a Guest Control standpoint, this is an easy puzzle to solve.
    Yes, it is. They made a good start by using the "Fantasmic" strobe lights and Liquid Sky lasers during "Remember", but they could do more. The 'surrounding you' fireworks should be easy enough to put on the roofs around the river, and they could figure out a way to project an image of the Castle and duplicate the Indy Flames and some of the castle low-level effects fireworks.

    About the only thing they can't duplicate is Tink flying above the island. But they have the water screens...
    Quote Originally Posted by custodialcleaner View Post
    no it wouldn't, after all it's been said on here before that alot don't like the 3rd shift crews. why should anything be done to make our job easier? after all, we are just ex cons or current cons out there to harm all your children and prowl the dark corners of main street and toontown at 2:45 am in the morning....

    managers treat us like trash, guests treat us like trash, 1st and second shift people treat us like trash, and so forth. i've watched 3rd shift cast members walk past 1st and second shift cast members and try to talk to them, getting ignored, looked at like "oh lord, who let this escape" and/or usually get snippy stuff said to them

    I would love to see a 1 am closing, main street is open until 2 am, finally everyone and their last straggler gets kicked out around 3-4 am, early entry at 7 am... (or why not 6 am to cater to the many so the few can suffer?)

    the park will suffer alot. Want to see just how screwed up a policy can be pertaining to something? look no further then the fire engine that drives up and down mainstreet. Got parked a while back for it's brake system failing, operations was refusing to grant any money for it's rare parts needed until it fully broke. broke it did, wouldn't stop at all. money went through asap, the workers who maintain the vehicles hoped it would be a chance to get it down in a extended refurb, but nope. fixed and dumped back out there asap.

    Operations refuses to release the vehicle for a extended refurb, look at the passengers side back wheel, one of it's spokes is cracked due to overzealous work with a air gun tightening the bolts on... the brass is heavily trashed, when I used to work in that area, I refused to polish any of it. it's past the point of polishing it, it needs to be stripped down to every last bolt and axle then replated/sanded/prepped from the ground up.

    I can't help but look at that vehicle with utter disgust, the cast members voice echoing in my head as it drives down main street "we have asked numerous times to let it be refurbed, but we are constantly turned down. it's needed in parades, on main street all the time, it's a popular attraction. just last week it was at a long beach parade.."

    that vehicle is considered the voice of disneyland as evidenced by sending it out to classic fire engine shows, etc. in that condition?! ugh, if I was the manager of the park, I would be horribly disgusted that thing even left the property in that condition....

    what do we know though, we are just ex-cons prowling the dark recesses of the park at 2:45 am.....
    Boy, someone here really needs a hug. (Stop looking at me like that.) If they have an attitude, that's their problem.

    And if the Fire Engine has deteriorated to where it's unsafe, say something. Drop a dime to the CalDOSH Permanent Amusement Ride Inspection Office and they can "decide to take a look..."

    Wheels are detachable, and they can build a new set and swap them out overnight easily enough, and the dismountable steel tire rims should be available as spares also.

    If it was me, I'd use the old wood-center wheels as a pattern, go to a foundry, and have a set of daily use wheels made out of solid cast aluminum. The wood wheels they use now are painted red - and you can paint aluminum, too. For daily use, nobody would know the difference. For parades you swap out to the real wood center wheels, and you varnish them so there is no doubt.

    Remember, it is a 1955 Gurrmobile built by the Studio Shops using antique car parts. The value it has is sentimental, not historical. Most of the problems you mentioned can be solved by the mechanics overnight, if they get the parts and permission to do the work.

    --<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

  14. #59

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    37

    Re: With a new world of Entertainment next year, let's let Disneyland operate till 1A

    Same thing with the ride maintenance - they can always start working on the trains that were pulled offline during the day for problems, and by the time those are fixed and done the ride should be closed for the night.
    Just a nit-pick from your local maintenance troll. A rather large part of vehicle repair often involves getting that vehicle back out onto the track for test cycling, etc. So later closings certainly *do* have an impact on our crews. The more pressing problem with "short nights" is allowing access to attractions for all of the crews that need it during the time allotted. Custodial wants to get in there and clean vehicles, engineering wants to come put their nose in something, operations wants to come in early to train, etc., etc.. Logistically, it can be a real mess, *but* we do it plenty of nights, and there's no reason we can't do it more often. Our convenience is not a concern if the attendance and revenue is there to drive a later closing. After all I'm a stockholder too, what's good for guests is good for Disney, and what's good for Disney is good for me.

    Just had to point out it's not quite as simple as "working backstage until things clear", but yes our job will still get done, and if enough guests want it, that's what they should get, imho. After all, they write the checks.

  15. #60

    • It's all about Theme!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,604

    Re: With a new world of Entertainment next year, let's let Disneyland operate till 1A

    Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    Well first of all the Frontierland/Adventureland side of the hub offers HORRIBLE fireworks viewing due to the large trees behind Big Thunder.

    Secondly, following the previous model the evening parade would run from Small World to Main Street leaving Small World at approx 8:30 - with a parade completion time around 9:30. This was never a problem before because most folks never staked out a spot for fireworks since fireworks viewing was the same EVERYWHERE in the park. There was no point in finding a specific spot on Main Street.
    Well, traditions change, the parade can start on MS and move up to ISAW. I don't see any real problem.
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

    And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Oprah & Disney's Anne Sweeney are Queens of entertainment world
    By ALIASd in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-05-2008, 04:46 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-29-2006, 02:54 PM
  3. Walt Disney World between end of Nov till Early Dec ?
    By DLRP_bopazot in forum Contests, Meets and Events
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-20-2006, 02:47 PM
  4. Entertainment World at SkyPlaza(HKIA) to complement HKDL
    By PennysBayChronicle in forum Hong Kong Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-05-2006, 05:56 AM
  5. 7 days till DISNEYLAND!!!
    By PotCRoxMySox in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-01-2005, 11:31 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •