Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Hot Air Balloon Ride in Paradise

I just had an idea, thought I'd share it and see what you all think. I was thinking that it would be cool if they put one of those tethered hot air balloon rides like they are planning to add in WDW's DTD in the location where they are removing the Maliboomer.

It could be an authentic looking Victorian era balloon, which I think would be really neat because the Victorians were very interested in air ships and it would fit the theme well. It would also be cool to see a big balloon that would rise out of the helix and be really nice looking. It would be something that wouldn’t need to be permanent, and could probably be worked into the garden area that they are creating there very easily. What do you think?
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Re: Hot Air Balloon Ride in Paradise

I love, love, love the idea!
    "We are the change we've been waiting for! Yes we can!"

Very cool idea. It'd be very low capacity though, wouldn't it?

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by scrappydawg View Post
    Very cool idea. It'd be very low capacity though, wouldn't it?
    Yes, very low, they'd probably have to charge an additional fee to ride it, which I know isn't popular with some of the fan community, but they obviously are interested in adding these type of premium experiences, thus why they are putting one at WDW.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• DCA FTW!

I like the Idea, but that location is horrible. If you look over the Disney walls on screamin or Maliboomer you get a good look at the butt of the Anaheim convention center and the top of some mediocre restaurants and then there's the huge power lines...
    Everybody's got a laughin' place-
    trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it.

• Fancy that...

I really like the idea, It wouldn't be hard to replace it either if they really wanted to put something else there, It wouldn't be too high cost and bothersome and it would be a very cool ride and add to the atmosphere

good thinking Uncle Bob!

• Senior Minion

I like the location because like I said, it would look cool coming out of the helix and add some interest to Screamin' as you traveled around the balloon. I also thought of the less than stellar views of Anaheim, but it still would give a nice view of the DLR and be something neat and appropriate to PP.
    -Walt Disney

• Fancy that...

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I like the location because like I said, it would look cool coming out of the helix and add some interest to Screamin' as you traveled around the balloon. I also thought of the less than stellar views of Anaheim, but it still would give a nice view of the DLR and be something neat and appropriate to PP.

Yeah, you already get those views on the sun wheel anyways.

• Senior Minion

Maybe the back of the gondola should have a screen, and you'll have to wear 3D glasses and when you look south all you'd see was a view of the ocean.
    -Walt Disney

• Fancy that...

Maybe the back of the gondola should have a screen, and you'll have to wear 3D glasses and when you look south all you'd see was a view of the ocean.
    Even better!

• DCA FTW!

Sweet!
    Everybody's got a laughin' place-
    trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

To view the ocean clearly from Anaheim you would need to look west because the southern view of the ocean is blocked by the San Joaquin Hills.

Speaking of views, this attraction would be a bit boring during the summer because all the smog and haze limits the view, and Anaheim besides having Disneyland, is not one of Orange County's more exciting cities. However it would be wonderful during the winter -- to the north would be the DLR, then the ocean to the west, then the San Joaquin Hills and the Santa Ana Mountains to the south and southeast. Heading north again is the best view which would be the snow-capped San Bernardino Mountains -- a beautiful sight in the winter.

• Senior Minion

I think people would just like the experience of riding in a hot air balloon, and the views of DLR are cool and will become only better and better over the coming years. I agree the some of the views aren't great, but people will mostly focus on DLR I would think. Probably the only real question I have is the capacity and that I wouldn't really love if it you had to pay extra to ride it.
    -Walt Disney

• "I Break Things"

I could be wrong but I believe an early concept of Disneyland featured such a balloon. At the same time I can't help but think the Santa Ana's alone would make it impractical. That... and the automatic connection to various car dealerships! IMHO Best to leave the giant balloon to the Great Park in El Toro.

Now prior to opening this I thought the reference was to a classic balloon style ride similar to Flick's... and I would have said a perfect model of this can be found at Adventure City. However having it in DCA would mean either tearing out the only actual well themed attraction in Bugsland, or duplicating attractions. I have a similar thought in regards to installing actual bumper cars on the Pier. Unfortunately after my experience at Knott's, I have come to the realization that the only "normal speed" bumper cars that can be found are at carnivals and fairs. Everything else lacks the speed to even make a bump.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• WDW CP Spring 2013

I really like that idea of a balloon floating overhead PP. But I think it would work better as just a prop. I was also thinking about maybe using it as a special dining experience. Guest can pay to eat dinner on the balloon for 30 minutes starting from 6 PM until park closing. Although only a limited amount of guest would be able to eat, like about 8 groups if they close at 10. You could even charge more for the time slot when World of Color plays. Although, i'd hate to see something happen to the balloon and its passengers during the show.
    Last edited by Indiana_James; 07-10-2008 at 07:53 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast