Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 199
  1. #31

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,387

    Re: Duffy The Disney Bear - Discussion

    As much as I know that Disneyland isn't implementing Duffy at his full potential, I'm already in love with him, so much that I asked my aunt to bring me back a Duffy from Walt Disney World for Christmas - even though we're going to Disneyland in a couple months. Maybe it's because I know how special he is at Tokyo.

    DuffyDaisuki, I still need to read over your longest post, but I read through the one above that. You said "Obviously, this only works if, as Malin suggests, WDC actually has people in planning and promotion who are doing more than their jobs - who actually believe in "birthing" a character." I agree. But it doesn't seem like the executives know what they're doing with the bear. The only one who truly seemed to love Duffy was Danielle DuBois, Disneyland Ambassador, which you'll notice if you watch his welcoming ceremony from DCA: YouTube - Duffy Makes His Debut at the Disney California Adventure
    It's unfortunate that she doesn't have more power to do something with Duffy. She even took the time to mention Tokyo, his popularity, and his back story. I truly hope that Disney gets it into gear and is able to make Duffy a part of the parks just as he is in Tokyo.

  2. #32

    • Munchings & Crunchings
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    2,468

    Re: Duffy The Disney Bear - Discussion

    It is appropriate to have a Duffy thread going here, since he's now "worldwide". The only downside is that this section gets much less traffic than any of the individual park sections do...oh well. I guess it's up to the fans to keep checking over here. I sometimes even forget to check the non-TDR section for Duffy information.

    Speaking of information, I read on Duffy's facebook page that they are thinking about a storybook, like the one he has at TDS to be released in the US. I hope they do that, so that the story is more fleshed out.

    Also, I'm surprised they don't have Duffy information printed on the maps for DCA, or even Disneyland. Why not just put something on there stating who he is and where to find him? Especially with all the construction going on. Another possible idea would be to stock him at World of Disney, and only there, as an alternative.

    I hate feeling so cynical toward the Disney company and the way they handle things, but I don't know if I can trust that they will do right by Duffy. It will take people who can truly appreciate what the character can be, and who treat him, and the fans with respect. That's lacking lately, it's as if the fans are no better than toddlers, who need to be told what to buy and what to like.

    I would be willing to bet that if Disney started releasing some attraction costumes for Duffy in very limited quantities, that more fans would take notice. He can't exist in America on cuteness alone, because we, as a society, love tearing cute things apart...unless you're a kid, then you're allowed to love it. The one breakout success in the last decade was Spongebob Squarepants. He was a character that even adults were allowed to love. Wearing a Spongebob T-shirt in public was not something to be embarrassed by. Both of my parents love the show, and collect Spongebob stuff. So...it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility for adults to embrace "kid's stuff" here. It's just an uphill battle...especially for a soft & cuddly teddy bear.

    Disney just has a bad habit of just using characters to cash in. Look at Figment, he's not really had any more story than his attraction, and any time he's used outside of that, it's to sell pins, or other merchandise. It's not like they are using him to tell more stories or anything. I would love it if the company would truly care about it's legacy and put some love into the characters they've created and treat the fans with mutual respect. I'm just a bit pessimistic about that these days...

  3. #33

    • I see mouse people
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Too far from Disneyland
    Posts
    3,768
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Duffy The Disney Bear - Discussion

    Wow...great post, DuffyDaisuki!!

  4. #34

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,387

    Re: Duffy The Disney Bear - Discussion

    I have a question about Duffy outfits also. Disney released a Santa outfit and they also released a 2011 winter coat for Duffy, but are these only for the smaller Duffy, or can you use them on the 17" Duffy too?

  5. #35

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,594

    Re: Duffy The Disney Bear - Discussion

    The 12 inch Christmas Duffy costume is stitched into the Bear and can't be removed. The 2011 Duffy Bear costume is removable but will not fit the regular size 17 inch Duffy Bears. All 12 inch Duffy Bears come provided with costumes. The 17 inch Bears are the only Duffy's you can buy seperate costumes for him to wear.

  6. #36

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,387

    Re: Duffy The Disney Bear - Discussion

    Thanks Malin. I wish we could have seasonal outfits for the normal Duffy bears instead of having to buy a new bear each time.

  7. #37

    • Munchings & Crunchings
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    2,468

    Re: Duffy The Disney Bear - Discussion

    Yes, I don't understand why they don't release the holiday costumes for the larger bears. I suppose they hope to sell a 12 inch bear for $25 every single time there's a new one, but what's the harm in also creating a $15 costume for the 17 inch Duffy? Not a lot of people have the room for 100 smaller Duffy bears...

    Oh, and speaking of costumes, Disney Fan magazine in Japan has a preview of the upcoming "Sweet Duffy 2011" costumes and merchandise. Very cute, as always. This year it's a variation on the 2009 cafe costume Duffy wore. The colors have been changed, but the concept is the same. Shellie May is wearing a "country style" dress with lace trim and heart-shaped pockets. She's holding a cookie heart, and Duffy is holding some kind of chocolate treat...I think. Oh, and his shirt is pink and his bowtie, apron, and pants are all shades of brown. The original version of that costume had him in jeans, a blue shirt & blue bowtie, with a brown apron.

  8. #38

    • Premium Passholder
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    28

    Re: Duffy The Disney Bear - Discussion

    To anyone who has been to California Adventure in the past couple of days: have you seen the duffy bear pouches on sale at the Treasures in Paradise Store? They were sold out last time I went and I am visiting tomorrow.

  9. #39

    • Dolcetto o scherzetto?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,172

    Re: Duffy The Disney Bear - Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by stevo505 View Post
    As much as I know that Disneyland isn't implementing Duffy at his full potential, I'm already in love with him, so much that I asked my aunt to bring me back a Duffy from Walt Disney World for Christmas - even though we're going to Disneyland in a couple months. Maybe it's because I know how special he is at Tokyo.
    I'm so happy to read that! Duffy needs fans outside of Japan! He really does, for me, embody everything that separates the Japan Disney experience from the US cynicism (even among fans) when it comes to Disney: no judging, just fun and HIGH quality CONTEXT-specific merchandise charged with just enough story to inspire and delight. Plus, he's cute and cuddly...and chic!^^

    Quote Originally Posted by stevo505 View Post
    ...But it doesn't seem like the executives know what they're doing with the bear. The only one who truly seemed to love Duffy was Danielle DuBois, Disneyland Ambassador, which you'll notice if you watch his welcoming ceremony from DCA: YouTube - Duffy Makes His Debut at the Disney California Adventure
    It's unfortunate that she doesn't have more power to do something with Duffy. She even took the time to mention Tokyo, his popularity, and his back story...
    I felt EXACTLY the same way when I first saw that video. Maybe it's just great training or good money or she just has a strong work ethic, but she felt utterly sincere and genuinely excited about Duffy. She also conveyed - subtly, almost unconsciously - that there is a need to understand the history of the character in order to really grasp the context of why he matters. My gut feeling was that she had been to Tokyo, likely even has Japanese friends, and that she actually personally understands what Duffy is about. I remember when that video went up, I said I wish she was in charge. I instantly trusted her. I still do, and I wish I could be her assistant!^^

    Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    Oh, and speaking of costumes, Disney Fan magazine in Japan has a preview of the upcoming "Sweet Duffy 2011" costumes and merchandise. Very cute, as always. This year it's a variation on the 2009 cafe costume Duffy wore. The colors have been changed, but the concept is the same. Shellie May is wearing a "country style" dress with lace trim and heart-shaped pockets. She's holding a cookie heart, and Duffy is holding some kind of chocolate treat...I think. Oh, and his shirt is pink and his bowtie, apron, and pants are all shades of brown. The original version of that costume had him in jeans, a blue shirt & blue bowtie, with a brown apron.
    I posted photos on the Tokyo Boards, if you wanna see them. They really are, in my mind, a return to form. But then, they're also kinda recycled, so I suppose that's to be expected. Still, I'm very excited about these. If you didn't get the first Sweet Duffy costume last year, I'd suggest not missing this opportunity. When it was first announced, it was the event that told Duffy fans that the character we'd championed had truly "arrived" as a bonafide park character and earned his rightful place of relevance in Disney history. In fact, it makes him the only single character (that's right, not even Mickey) to carry his own annual themed event with full merchandise assortment. It's when Shellie May was introduced. It's the "big deal" Duffy event, which speaks to his character as "bringing the love." Christmas is also major, probably even with higher sales, but thematically, Sweet Duffy is very, very special for Duffy fans. All the other characters are tied to the overall Valentine park events, but Duffy's is truly his own, with its own storybook, theming and merchandise. Pretty impressive for a little bland branded teddy bear.^^
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 12-22-2010 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Added link to Sweet Duffy 2011 photos on Tokyo Boards

  10. #40

    • Adventures with Duffy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Too far from TDR :(
    Posts
    1,128

    Re: Duffy The Disney Bear - Discussion

    They have Duffy Bear ponchos? For people or Duffy's?

  11. #41

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,387

    Re: Duffy The Disney Bear - Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    I'm so happy to read that! Duffy needs fans outside of Japan! He really does, for me, embody everything that separates the Japan Disney experience from the US cynicism (even among fans) when it comes to Disney: no judging, just fun and HIGH quality CONTEXT-specific merchandise charged with just enough story to inspire and delight. Plus, he's cute and cuddly...and chic!^^
    It's sort of funny how I used to look through DisneySea trip reports and think "Why the heck is that bear so popular?" Now I know why. If Disney hadn't brought him here I would probably still be confused about Duffy. In that sense it was good that they brought him here but I really think they could do more with him. Seasonal costume releases for the 17" Duffy, not just the 12", would be good for a start. But I think when California Adventure completes its expansion in 2012, Duffy should be the character to represents the park and its spirit. Duffy's spirit of adventure is perfect for the park's theme. An event with Duffy taking us through the new adventures waiting for us would be so much fun, and guests could be encouraged to take pictures with Duffy at all of the new locations, like the Little Mermaid ride and the Carthay Circle Theater.

    By the way, does anyone know where someone in America could buy Duffy Costumes from DisneySea online? Ebay sellers list them for $100 and that is just too expensive, even if they are great quality outfits. Are they generally that expensive at DisneySea?

  12. #42

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,364

    Re: Duffy The Disney Bear - Discussion

    Today I impulsively bought two Duffy bears. The $25 versions. One probably to keep and the other to give to my mom. Are these the versions that come with clothes? I didn't have the time to explore and look.


    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

  13. #43

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,387

    Re: Duffy The Disney Bear - Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Today I impulsively bought two Duffy bears. The $25 versions. One probably to keep and the other to give to my mom. Are these the versions that come with clothes? I didn't have the time to explore and look.
    Yeah, I believe they have the separate costumes for the 17" bears, the $25 ones. The 12" bears come with clothes on them.

  14. #44

    • Dolcetto o scherzetto?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,172

    Re: Duffy The Disney Bear - Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Janell View Post
    They have Duffy Bear ponchos? For people or Duffy's?
    Neither yet, but I've got a feeling TDS will release another rain set this year, so Shellie May has one, too. No promises, but we should pay close attention. I knew I shoulda just gotten you one anyway!^^

    Quote Originally Posted by stevo505 View Post
    It's sort of funny how I used to look through DisneySea trip reports and think "Why the heck is that bear so popular?" Now I know why. If Disney hadn't brought him here I would probably still be confused about Duffy. In that sense it was good that they brought him here but I really think they could do more with him. Seasonal costume releases for the 17" Duffy, not just the 12", would be good for a start.
    I'm glad you're enjoying him, but I think the seasonal/event releases are a must - that's what really makes Duffy a park mascot - his outfit, website theming and merchandise all changes with the park. The other characters all have event-specific merchandise, but since your one-and-only (except that some fans have many) Duffy actually stays the same but changes costumes for each event, there's a kind of continuity. From what I've heard, though, the rhythm of the US parks doesn't include totally new events with brand-new one-time only costumes, park theming and tons of very high quality merchandising. Without that, Duffy feels like an oddity. Here, Duffy is in sync with all the changes in the park. In the US, it seems like Duffy could potentially be the one park element that changes seasonally, but he needs that element to be exciting. Without constantly having something new and limited, it really is just a bland branded bear.

    Quote Originally Posted by stevo505 View Post
    But I think when California Adventure completes its expansion in 2012, Duffy should be the character to represents the park and its spirit. Duffy's spirit of adventure is perfect for the park's theme. An event with Duffy taking us through the new adventures waiting for us would be so much fun, and guests could be encouraged to take pictures with Duffy at all of the new locations, like the Little Mermaid ride and the Carthay Circle Theater.
    The TDR 25th Anniversary offering a new costume each month, inspired by an attraction- or service-uniform, is really what made Duffy crossover completely to the mainstream. I think you and FurtureImagineer183 are absolutely right - this is a great opportunity! Hopefully, that's the plan. Maybe they just released him now as a teaser and they are smartly planning a seamless push that will have him fully integrated into the excitement of the park expansion. That is certainly what happened here with the 25th and then the ball just kept rolling with Sweet Duffy and on and on... He first became the mascot of DisneySEA, and then evolved into the universal emblem of Disney fandom. This is the best - and most obvious - marketing plan. If they don't do this, they really don't care about Duffy at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by stevo505 View Post
    By the way, does anyone know where someone in America could buy Duffy Costumes from DisneySea online? Ebay sellers list them for $100 and that is just too expensive, even if they are great quality outfits. Are they generally that expensive at DisneySea?
    Moved reply elsewhere. HERE.
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 12-23-2010 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Modded. Adjusting for compliance.

  15. #45

    •     
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Orbital Pluto
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, CA
    Posts
    4,330

    Re: Duffy The Disney Bear - Discussion

    Folks, any discussion of possibly helping other members out with the purchase of items from the parks which involves the exchange of money, is not allowed in our general discussion forums. Such discussions are limited to our Community Outpost, or to the "Merchandise Buy/Sell/Trade" forum here under the General Collecting Lounge. If you are interested in pursuing this topic, please start a thread in one of those two forums. This thread needs to return to a general discussion about Duffy.

    Thanks for your cooperation and understanding.
    "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
    raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

    Ernest Thompson Seton

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Trip Report] The Forbidden Eye meets Duffy the Disney Bear 10/17/10
    By The Forbidden Eye in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-19-2010, 11:49 AM
  2. [Chat] Best outfits for Duffy The Disney Bear
    By MikkiMausu99 in forum Tokyo Disney Resort
    Replies: 114
    Last Post: 01-09-2010, 03:45 PM
  3. [Pictures] The story of Duffy the Disney Bear, with pictures.
    By gurgi in forum Tokyo Disney Resort
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-29-2009, 07:12 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •