Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

• Adventures with Duffy

Re: Duffy The Disney Bear - Discussion

I agree with you DuffyDaisuki, I think they should keep the seasonal costumes at TDS at TDS. And I think they should make ones that are seasonal for just Epcot and ones just for DCA. Disney needs to remember to keep the idea of guest traveling and buying things they can't get at other parks.

Im guessing with the internet and e-bay maybe creating a reason to travel isn't needed as much anymore. So Disney could get around that by selling on their own website. Im not really sure how I feel on all this. I am tired of the same items sold everywhere in both DLR and WDW. I miss the unique items of TDR. And the quality of the items.

Is it just that, state side guest wont pay $36 for a costume? Because OLC is already having the costumes made. I would guess if they ordered more, they may get a cost break, which could be a win win for us all.

Because like what DuffyDaisuki said, the cheaper Duffy line didn't work before. What makes them think it will work now?

A side note, did anyone see the Disney Parks Christmas special? I noticed that Duffy costume in the parade, wasn't that great. You could see a seam on one of his arms, where his paw meets his arm. Yeah I know Im being picky, but they need to give Duffy a chance and give him the best quality they possibly can. Other wise why do it?

Quote Originally Posted by stevo505 View Post
    Right. But I think DCA and Epcot should follow the example of supreme outfit quality while offering unique seasonal releases. I think a "Hello from Paradise Pier" event would be fantastic. Then they could offer outfits unique to the Parks themes, such as Hollywood and the great wilderness.
    Yes, they should be doing this! Let's call it "Greetings From Paradise Pier" with a retro postcard campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by FutureImagineer183 View Post
    …The only reason Duffy is here is because he's so popular in Japan. And why is he popular? Because of the high quality merchandise! It's a complete paradox! They're expecting the same success with only half the work! Don't they realize people have access to the Internet? People will look up Duffy and see the high quality costumes in Japan and want to get those instead! …they should know what the consumer want because they post it on places like this! …Gives us TDS quality costumes and I won't have to go out of my way to NOT buy directly from you!
    This is another of the primary objectives that finally convinced me to renew the shopping service — to create this pressure and incentive. Disney doesn't make as much as OLC when we buy from TDS (and until they offer similar quality, charged with similar sincerity of heart and intention, I don't think they should). If no one at Disney Parks/Consumer Products is reading these boards, then they're completely hopeless. I joined MiceChat primarily because it had the most thriving English-speaking Tokyo Disney community. There is literally no better place for decision-makers to learn about their target audience than right here. Surely someone there knows this.

Quote Originally Posted by Janell View Post
    I agree with you DuffyDaisuki, I think they should keep the seasonal costumes at TDS at TDS. And I think they should make ones that are seasonal for just Epcot and ones just for DCA. Disney needs to remember to keep the idea of guest traveling and buying things they can't get at other parks.
    Right on, Janell! That is the very essence of Duffy and the key element in making him relevant and sought after. I would add, though, …things they can't get at other parks that are exclusively available for a limited time and intimately tied to seasons, park events and park locales.

Im guessing with the internet and e-bay maybe creating a reason to travel isn't needed as much anymore. So Disney could get around that by selling on their own website. Im not really sure how I feel on all this.
    As frustrating as it will be when I no longer live near TDR, I would hate to see Duffy available in any channel outside the parks. I'm still very unhappy about Duffy items being sold in Mermaid Lagoon with absolutely no context for being there. I understand the need to accommodate demand; I never wanna spend all day in line for a shop again, and I know that's a kid-heavy area…but I still don't like it. I don't even like that Duffy items have worked their way back to the "pawn shop" area of McDuck's, because DUFFY is not a "pawn shop" product!

Is it just that, state side guest wont pay $36 for a costume? Because OLC is already having the costumes made. I would guess if they ordered more, they may get a cost break, which could be a win win for us all.
    Yes, but only for the standard costumes. Having the Christmas "Cape Cod" costume at HKDL did not sit well with me. I'd actually love to see different localized design teams at each park "competing" to outdo each other with Duffy designs. And I'm still hopeful an exciting fan-made costume culture will develop globally, similar to the one in Japan. Can anybody here sew?^^

As far as their thinking about US consumers' willingness to pay for quality goes, I'm hoping our shopping service is successful and encourages them to rethink this. If a creative company doesn't believe its target audience supports ambition and quality, what does that say about the company?

Yeah I know Im being picky, but they need to give Duffy a chance and give him the best quality they possibly can. Other wise why do it?
    I wish Disney would remember that this is supposed to be their way of doing absolutely everything — it's their legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post

Yes, but only for the standard costumes. Having the Christmas "Cape Cod" costume at HKDL did not sit well with me. I'd actually love to see different localized design teams at each park "competing" to outdo each other with Duffy designs. And I'm still hopeful an exciting fan-made costume culture will develop globally, similar to the one in Japan. Can anybody here sew?^^
    While not Duffy, I'm pretty sure you will like too see this bears and their cute clothes.

http://www.desertmountainbear.com/bears-2008-09.php

http://montybearkins.deviantart.com/gallery/3780504
    Last edited by Sapphire-Light; 12-28-2010 at 02:22 PM.

• Banned User

The clothes look nice but those bears really creep me out! They look way too real! I like my bears nice and cuddly looking.

I've always liked plush, but I never really loved teddy bears before Duffy, even as a child. Since Duffy, I've learned more about other designer bears, especially when I was building the armature. It's a charming art form that I knew almost nothing about. One pair of designers who really impress me are Ma'Sal... Their prices really helped put my Duffy habit in perspective. I think I could buy a full year's worth of outfits for both Duffy and Shellie for the price of one of their oh-so-tiny but oh-so-perfect little creations.

For me, Duffy is less a teddy bear and more a Disney character. I don't just love him cos he's cute. It really is all about how much he connects me to the Disney I so deeply want to believe in. He's not just a Disney branded bear for me, but the spirit of Disney itself. His character is just so pure - always helpful, loving, curious, adventurous and connecting people. And the products connect people to that vibe, and to each other.

Now I love the new costume releases and all the merchandise, but if he wasn't Disney and if he didn't have his very unique history, I don't I'd've bought him just to have a teddy bear. I never even went into a Build-A-Bear shop before Duffy! I think Duffy is definitely the cutest bear in the whole wide world... Over the past few years, I really have started comparing, and the design and proportions are more impressive than I noticed at first blush.^^ ...But I also find his concept and character genuinely inspiring.

re: Duffy The Disney Bear - Discussion

For a good, quick visual overview of all of the costumes over the years, check out THIS PAGE from the Disney Bear Duffy blog I mentioned above. These are just the badges, but to get a sense of Duffy through the years, this really works.

• Adventures with Duffy

Oh I like the yellow vest with messenger type bag. Very cute. One of my favs is the swimming suite. The hooded jacket my Duffy wares that a lot. He likes to put his paws in the pockets and pose.

Thumbs up re: Duffy The Disney Bear - Discussion

Oh I like the yellow vest with messenger type bag. Very cute. One of my favs is the swimming suite. The hooded jacket my Duffy wares that a lot. He likes to put his paws in the pockets and pose.
    My Duffy likes that, too, mostly because he's happy that TDS pockets are real, so he can!

By the way, that's not a messenger bag; it's a fishing kit.^^ This is a costume from 2006 that is so rare I thought it was a scam when I first saw it pop up sometimes on auction. You can see better photos of both the badge and full costume HERE on this Japanese blog, Nana-Coucou.

It's official - Nana is the new queen of Duffydom. I have never seen anything like this. I think her blog even beats Disney Bear Duffy in terms of content and image quality! Check her out! As for the fishing set, I've actually been thinking this one might be due for a re-release in 2011. I'm curious what they'll come up with for Shellie's "girly" fishing look. I strongly suspect there will be new raincoats for both bears, too. I hope they do fashionable, non-childish versions, and I actually hope they'll include working umbrellas, though I doubt that part.
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 12-29-2010 at 02:21 PM.

• Banned User

Wow! that is a lot of costumes! As much as I would love all of them, it's pretty much impossible to find all of them with out a lot of money! All the costumes are cute! As much as I like the raincoat, I'm actually going to make my own for Duffy and Shellie. The one they released just looks too cartoony for me. I already have the patterns, I just need my sewing machine to work! I can't wait to start working on that!

Hmm I wonder how Duffy and Shellie (they sell her at WDW?) will look with vintage style clothes and accessories, I'm thinking in the possibilities, I still need to get a sewing machine.

Vintage style things are my weakness, I hope to find a Steamboat willie Mickey or a Oswald plush too.

Quote Originally Posted by FutureImagineer183 View Post
    The clothes look nice but those bears really creep me out! They look way too real! I like my bears nice and cuddly looking.
    Yes, they look so real , to make that look they use a fabric that has mohair that is the name of real angora goat hair, its very soft is like cotton.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Um... I'm thinking custom made steampunk Duffy gear... for the keychain size bear they would have to be hand sewn... but doable.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Future Indy Castmember

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    Um... I'm thinking custom made steampunk Duffy gear... for the keychain size bear they would have to be hand sewn... but doable.
    Steampunk eh? I just had flashbacks of the Necropolis Scare Zone at Knotts. That would be cool though.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    Hm…"Steampunk Duffy" — now that's interesting! Potentially that could even be an official release someday, through connection to Jules Verne's Mysterious Island. All I know is he HAS to have a monocle!. If you actually create this, please share photos with us!
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 12-30-2010 at 06:24 AM.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

If I figure out how to pull it off I'll be glad to post pics. But first I have to get my bear, and that won't happen until I go down next month for the anniversary meet.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Banned User

steampunk and Duffy, two of some of my favorite things. Now that would be awesome.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast