Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

TDS Duffy Shopping Service

Quote Originally Posted by stevo505 View Post
    By the way, does anyone know where someone in America could buy Duffy Costumes from DisneySea online? Ebay sellers list them for $100 and that is just too expensive, even if they are great quality outfits. Are they generally that expensive at DisneySea?
    These are the old rules, the old discussion. Check out the new, more streamlined version HERE.

Sticker price for costumes is usually in the ¥2500~4000 range. I used to do a shopping service, but I wasn't organized enough. It got to be a lot of work that started to distract me from the parks. Several recent posts, though, have made me interested in providing the service again. Buyers will have to pay shipping +???*, and must transfer funds before the release date, which means paying attention to the website and making your "wish list" in advance. I'm happy to make my price cheaper than any other option (provided my transportation costs are covered and I get some small reward for my effort. Amid fanatical crowds, I take the time to choose every item carefully, buying only items that I myself would purchase. I can tell you that the other people who buy in bulk to sell online do not do this. I'm one of those people who thinks that every strap and every bear - every item - is unique, and I always only want the best one. This takes a lot of time and had kinda started to stress me out, but if enough folks are interested that we actually had a "Duffy Fan Club" vibe, that would make me really excited and motivated.

I'll definitely go to pick up my own "Sweet Duffy" stuff next month on 1/9 or 1/16, depending on release schedule, so we'll start with that. I'll also probably have the Annual Pass from April which will make it much easier for everybody. Until then, if I don't have your order and your money, the day I go, you'd have to also pay for my ticket if you want me to buy stuff. That's why those people charge so much, by the way. Even for folks who buy the very expensive Annual Passport, you have to figure that for them to get that item, it cost them much more than the sticker price - they had transportation fees and they paid a lot to get inside the park. Plus, I have a feeling that after seeing the super-cute photos of the upcoming "Sweet Duffy," the madness of first-day Duffy releases is about to return. I think that release date will be 1/7, if memory serves, and I'll plan to go on 1/9. Work means that 1/7 and 1/8 are not possible.

*So, for "+???," what do we think is fair? Anybody remember what the arrangement was before? Everyone who's interested can be involved in this discussion. As long as the suggestions are reasonable to all parties, I'm sure we can come up with something in time for everyone to get their own "Sweet Duffy" stuff.^^

I'll tell you my first thought, but it could potentially be very bad for me if there are a lot of people ordering many items, so I'm not sure about it yet:

COST + TICKET PRICE/# of people who order + TRANSPORTATION/divided by # of orders + SHIPPING/PACKAGING

I really like this one because it makes all of us in it together, like a co-op, which is like Duffy's spirit, I think. It also ensures that I recover at least the cost of admission each time, which is nice if one or two people just want one or two items. But if a lot of people order a lot of stuff and I get back less than 30% on each person's order, I know it's gonna bother me pretty quickly. It is kinda stressful to shop for everything/carry everything/pack everything/ship everything. It becomes the focus of that day in the parks (and another day at the post office), and depending on the level of hype, it can actually take the entire day just to get in and out of the shops. If there are quantity purchasing limits, that presents another problem. I haven't seen this recently, but it's also something to consider. It's not just buying something and handing it over. So, then I think:

COST + 30% (of your personal total) + TRANSPORTATION/divided by # of orders + SHIPPING/PACKAGING

Maybe we'll do this one for occasions when more than three people order? I think before each person paid full transportation costs, so this second one is potentially discounted over what I did in the past. Creating a Duffy Fan Club would be like a dream come true for me. That's my motivation. Any pricing system must have at least one variable that depends on how many people are ordering, but I'm open to suggestions!^^

By the way, that "Packaging" charge is for purchasing the box/bag from Japan Post. I think it's nice to see that box arrive, and it's much easier/cleaner than me trying to send by size-matching random boxes from wherever. It's not an additional "handling" charge. I think 30% is plenty reasonable for all of that.
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 01-16-2011 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Updated for your pleasure...and knowledge!^^

• Munchings & Crunchings

Re: TDS Duffy Shopping Service

Hmm...interesting ideas! It's definitely going to take some logistical planning. I would say there should probably be guidelines for ordering. If anybody has a wish list, they must have it to you on a specific day. If they miss the deadline, they will have to wait until you visit again, and possibly risk the items being sold out. Have it all organized on a list for your own sanity. Print it out and take it with you. Mark items off as you pick them up.

From now until April when you get your AP, your costs might have to be higher just to offset the cost of a park ticket. And...your visits would probably be fewer, I'm guessing. So everybody really has to have all requests in before your visit.

As for fees, that's a tough one. I would say your "plan B" is better. It's hard to calculate individual fees for things like transportation, ticket costs, time spent, handling fees, etc. Especially to divide that by how many people are ordering. A flat fee might be best to apply to everyone. I would say that 30% is about average. Don't go higher than that, because most of the Ebay sellers charge 20% to 30%...plush shipping, of course. Maybe try that once and see how much profit you get from 30% from everyone. It depends on how many people though. You might just recoup all of your costs and make some extra for your effort. I don't know...

Oh, and I'll tell you one thing, if anybody is asking you to ship the breakables, like the Duffy mugs & plates, the park sells them to you for slightly cheaper without the desserts in them. That's a way to cut down costs. Although I know you do not like shipping breakables, understandably.

Also, for anybody creating wish lists, they should calculate the costs themselves. Use the official site, with prices in Yen to do a total, and make it easier on you. The other thing is using one site like Paypal for all transactions. If you do that, make sure everybody sends the money to you as a "cash advance". Otherwise, if they use a credit card, it charges you a fee. And, they can also choose to send it to you in Yen to make it easier on you too.

I know that first attempt was stressful, and I'm sorry I contributed to that. I think it was just a big learning curve for everyone.

• Banned User

I would love if there was a way for us fans in the United States to be able to have access to the great outfits from DisneySea. You mentioned a fan club; what if there was a monthly fee we could pay for a Duffy fan club? The monthly fee could be enough so it would accumulate to cover outfit prices and transportation, etc. For me, that would be easier than having to do a transaction each time with a large sum. A monthly, smaller fee might be easier financially, but that probably depends on how often they have releases. Does any of that make sense? I didn't sleep much and might be spewing out nonsense.

i'm definitely interested purchasing TDS duffy items!

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Thumbs up Re: TDS Duffy Shopping Service

Merry Christmas, Duffy fans! It really does feel like the Dufflove is spreading, so I guess that's my holiday cheer.^^

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    As for fees, that's a tough one. I would say your "plan B" is better. It's hard to calculate individual fees for things like transportation, ticket costs, time spent, handling fees, etc. Especially to divide that by how many people are ordering. A flat fee might be best to apply to everyone. I would say that 30% is about average. Don't go higher than that, because most of the Ebay sellers charge 20% to 30%...plus shipping, of course. Maybe try that once and see how much profit you get from 30% from everyone.
    Well, if there are plenty of eBayers selling for 20~30%, then I guess there's no real need. I only offered because so many people were posting about listings starting at $100. I also thought people could save on shipping and confusion by having the certainty of everything coming hand-selected from one exporter, in one box. And from what I remember, eBay mostly only offers the plush and the costumes. Other merchandise is generally at least 50% markup or not there at all, as I recall. So, if there is a need, I'd love to help out. But I wouldn't add the stress of planning park trips to be sure nothing sells out or trips to the post office to my life for less than 30%. I think that's reasonable. Not "earning" enough for the service means I can't do special bonuses without losing my own money, too. Since those special touches are my primary interest, I just wouldn't do it if Im only gonna break even. I'd like to sometimes add extras for people who order the most or get new people into Duffy, stuff like that. I can't spend so much of my own time and money without some recovery.

That said, you're right about the way of figuring transportation/ticket costs. That gets overly complicated very fast. But I do want to create some incentive for people to talk to each other — to order at the same time, and to anticipate orders arriving and new Tokyo releases. My goal is to help people elsewhere in the world experience some of the energy and excitement that is Duffy in Tokyo.

So, here's the plan:

I will not shop for less than 3 people. If you want something, you have to communicate with other Duffy fans and get at least 3 people to order. Minimum order is ¥3000, so if you only want one keychain or strap or something, you have to talk to someone else and order together, though that will still only count as one — you'll have to get to know your MiceChat neighbors!^^ My goal is to make community, not money.

For 3~4 people, the system is:
    COST + 30% (of your personal total) + SHIPPING/PACKAGING
    *I'll "eat" the transport cost for now.^^

For 5 or more,
    COST + 25% (of your personal total) + SHIPPING/PACKAGING

*Less money for more work, but my goal is to personally know that Duffy is getting more popular, and that every Duffy fan in the world personally knows Tokyo quality. More orders means more Dufflove, which is good enough for me!^^

Oh, and I'll tell you one thing, if anybody is asking you to ship the breakables, like the Duffy mugs & plates, the park sells them to you for slightly cheaper without the desserts in them. That's a way to cut down costs. Although I know you do not like shipping breakables, understandably.
    I have always only asked for the cups and dishes separate when buying. But you're right; I'd rather avoid breakables unless it's something someone really, really MUST have — then it's fine.^^

Also, for anybody creating wish lists, they should calculate the costs themselves. Use the official site, with prices in Yen to do a total, and make it easier on you. The other thing is using one site like Paypal for all transactions. If you do that, make sure everybody sends the money to you as a "cash advance". Otherwise, if they use a credit card, it charges you a fee. And, they can also choose to send it to you in Yen to make it easier on you too.

I know that first attempt was stressful, and I'm sorry I contributed to that. I think it was just a big learning curve for everyone.
    It really was educational. You should never apologize to me for anything related to Duffy. One of the only Americans who believed in Duffy as much as me, until very recently, was you. I am grateful to you.^^ I was and am very happy to help folks get stuff from Tokyo, but I don't wanna just be buying stuff. I wanna make it more fun.^^ I also, though, don't want to burn out, so I think it's wise to ask something. Other sellers are true "sellers," whose strategy allows them to buy in bulk and sell extras later, as Duffy costumes seem only to increase, rather quickly, in value. It is not my aim, really, to be a "seller," but rather to create a fan club. If anyone is interested, please post here. I will contact you privately later. My inbox is nearly full, so please don't PM. One more thing I need to do…^^

You mentioned a fan club; what if there was a monthly fee we could pay for a Duffy fan club? The monthly fee could be enough so it would accumulate to cover outfit prices and transportation, etc. For me, that would be easier than having to do a transaction each time with a large sum. A monthly, smaller fee might be easier financially, but that probably depends on how often they have releases.
    I'm not sure I understand what you're describing here, Stevo. I think it's either:

A: I buy and send you the current and all subsequent costumes and then just trust you to pay me back in increments over time? I'm a nice guy, but I wouldn't even do that if I could afford to.^^

Or B: You send me small monthly payments and when it adds up to enough, I'll get you whatever happens to be out at that time or wait until you finally like something. I don't see how that's better for buyers than just saving up for a costume/merchandise (I'll get whatever you want!^^) you actually want and then letting me know and transferring funds.

I think a monthly/annual membership would be a great idea for Disney, but remember I'm just one guy. If I've misunderstood your idea, please correct me.^^

if anyone is interested please let me know! Duffy Daisuki's deal is ALOT better then paying the $100 plus $25 shipping on ebay!

Question though...how are we suppose to know what outfits are available? i went on duffy TDS website..all they had was the christmas outfit

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    Merry Christmas, Duffy fans! It really does feel like the Dufflove is spreading, so I guess that's my holiday cheer.^^

Well, if there are plenty of eBayers selling for 20~30%, then I guess there's no real need. I only offered because so many people were posting about listings starting at $100. I also thought people could save on shipping and confusion by having the certainty of everything coming hand-selected from one exporter, in one box. And from what I remember, eBay mostly only offers the plush and the costumes. Other merchandise is generally at least 50% markup or not there at all, as I recall. So, if there is a need, I'd love to help out. But I wouldn't add the stress of planning park trips to be sure nothing sells out or trips to the post office to my life for less than 30%. I think that's reasonable. Not "earning" enough for the service means I can't do special bonuses without losing my own money, too. Since those special touches are my primary interest, I just wouldn't do it if Im only gonna break even. I'd like to sometimes add extras for people who order the most or get new people into Duffy, stuff like that. I can't spend so much of my own time and money without some recovery.

i'm sorry but where did you see the ebay listings for 30-60%?

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

I appreciate you considering offering this service to Duffy fans who are after a higher standard of costume and don't wish to pay high prices. I'm sure we can find a happy medium where we could all benefit. I would only be after the limited edition costumes. I think 30%-25% depending on on the demand is reasonable to cover.

A few questions I do have about what your offering though?

* How would you go about payment. Do you have a PayPal account?

* Would you ship outside of the United States to destinations like the United Kingdom. And also will you be using tracking on the orders?

If I may suggest you consider proposing a date every 4-5 weeks where you would visit the park and pick up the merchandise. Doing it everytime you get a minimum of three people together is likely to burn you out very quickly and more likely I feel to abandon the service once the work load gets to much. I think you would be much better off saying to folk look I'm heading to the park on a certain date. Here is the list of products I would be able to pick up for you. If you were after anything let me know and have you payment paid to me before the day that I visit.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Quote Originally Posted by flylikadove22 View Post
    i'm sorry but where did you see the ebay listings for 30-60%?
    I haven't actually looked recently because I don't buy Duffy stuff on eBay, but I remember seeing stuff like straps and hand towels, which are ¥1300, selling for upwards of $26. My general rule of thumb is ¥100 = $1, but that's also no longer true. If eBay auctions offer satisfactory pricing and convenience, I will not be upset in the least if no one wants this service. I will never be an eBay seller. For me, it's all about the personal approach.^^

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    I appreciate you considering offering this service to Duffy fans who are after a higher standard of costume and don't wish to pay high prices. I'm sure we can find a happy medium where we could all benefit. I would only be after the limited edition costumes. I think 30%-25% depending on on the demand is reasonable to cover.
    Every new costume released at TDS is limited and seasonal, although apparently slight redesigns and colorways are possible. It should be noted, though, that while this year's "Sweet Duffy" is similar to 2008, that may only be because Shellie May didn't exist then and fans want it. Also, the material appears different, buttons and accessories are different. Every Duffy costume released now represents a particular moment in the parks.

I also appreciate your understanding that I do work and have a life outside of Duffy (though he's always in my ^^) and that despite my enthusiasm, I can't do this for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    * How would you go about payment. Do you have a PayPal account?

* Would you ship outside of the United States to destinations like the United Kingdom. And also will you be using tracking on the orders?

If I may suggest you consider proposing a date every 4-5 weeks where you would visit the park and pick up the merchandise. Doing it everytime you get a minimum of three people together is likely to burn you out very quickly and more likely I feel to abandon the service once the work load gets to much. I think you would be much better off saying to folk look I'm heading to the park on a certain date. Here is the list of products I would be able to pick up for you. If you were after anything let me know and have you payment paid to me before the day that I visit.
    Oops, I forgot to make this clear. That's how it worked before, but I anticipate a much larger response now. The timing will be as follows:

I get paid on the 10th of each month, so I will usually go after that (except special event releases like "Sweet Duffy" which fall too far before the tenth to be "safe"^^). Until I buy the Annual Pass, I will go on a Sunday or a Monday. For January (the first one^^), I plan to go on 1/23. It means people who want "Hello From Cape Cod" and other TDS/Duffy goods will have to wait. "Cape Cod" items are unlikely to sell out, but some of the non-costume "Sweet Duffy" items may go very quickly. Yes, you can also ask for non-Duffy items, as long as you are also buying Duffy stuff.^^

The "D-day" for orders will be one week before I go. For now, we should imagine that you have one shot at this. Once I have AP I might do multiple shopping trips, but for now it's only at the start of new releases. So, for the first group, you'll need to have submitted wish lists and transferred funds by 1/16. I would appreciate not making exceptions to this, honestly, but I am very understanding and will try to accommodate everyone until 1/22.

Naturally, I will ship anywhere in the world. My goal is to support Duffy everywhere, with quality merchandise worthy of the character. I have no bias toward the US.

I will only ship EMS, so all orders will ne tracked, and I'll send you the tracking number the same day or the next day. Payments should be through PayPal.

Did that cover everything?^^

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Anybody else getting database errors? Sorry for the double post.^^
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 12-24-2010 at 09:02 AM.

• Banned User

I am a little confused. In "Cost + 30/25% of personal total" what is cost and personal total?

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

I am a little confused. In "Cost + 30/25% of personal total" what is cost and personal total?
    "Cost" = "TDS Price," which, happily for all of us, includes tax.^^. "Personal total" is leftover from when I envisioned everyone sharing prices. Now I guess it's needlessly confusing. It just means 25~30% of your total order. Did that clear things up?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    "Cost" = "TDS Price," which, happily for all of us, includes tax.^^. "Personal total" is leftover from when I envisioned everyone sharing prices. Now I guess it's needlessly confusing. It just means 25~30% of your total order. Did that clear things up?
    Oh! Okay, that makes perfect sense. Thanks.

• Adventures with Duffy

This sounds really cool. Thank you for the offer.

Does anyone know what costumes TDS has right now? Other then chrismas. I'm not sure what the Hello Cape Codd is.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast