Page 238 of 291 FirstFirst ... 138188213228235236237238239240241248263288 ... LastLast
Results 3,556 to 3,570 of 4351

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: Share your Duffy Photos

Considering drunken monkeys could run WDW better than the current suits at TDO. they are NEVER going to market Duffy correctly in the US. They saw him simply as a money-maker when they saw how popular he is in Tokyo. All they see is dollar signs. But Duffy does seem to be doing better at WDW than at Disneyland. There a very real hatred toward Duffy on the west coast, but he seems to be more accepted on the east coast (he fits in way better at Epcot than DCA, truth be told).

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Considering drunken monkeys could run WDW better than the current suits at TDO. they are NEVER going to market Duffy correctly in the US. They saw him simply as a money-maker when they saw how popular he is in Tokyo. All they see is dollar signs. But Duffy does seem to be doing better at WDW than at Disneyland. There a very real hatred toward Duffy on the west coast, but he seems to be more accepted on the east coast (he fits in way better at Epcot than DCA, truth be told).
    Actual "HATRED FOR DUFFY"? Aw, who can hate a stuffed bear? Poor Duffy. My sister likes the 24" Duffy, and I got my friend a 17" Duffy with the wizard's outfit, and now she got one of her friends into Duffy. My friend and the friend she got into him know the story but basically it got watered down to "the bear of happiness and luck" and they point out his paws and hip mark being in the shape of Mickey and they also think of him as their special friend and have him in a prominent place in their house. My friend is working on her brother, who is almost 60 years old and he said, "aw, that is ONE CUTE BEAR...bear of happiness and luck, huh? Maybe Santa will bring me one for Christmas. I can use a special friend." But none of these people are anywhere near the west coast.

• I love that tiny bear!

My observations are that there ARE people on the west coast online who actually DO hate Duffy, but even online, most people appear to be ambivalent. In person, I don't recall observing any animosity at all towards him during my trips, and some people have really liked my Shellie May.

Unfortunately, his meet and greet is literally a couple steps away from a store selling Duffy merchandise, so it's very easy for cynical west-coasters to view him as a money-grab. (And in fairness, Disney's intentions seem to be little more than that.)

There are also people on the west coast who hate Vinylmation, princesses and their associated meet and greets, etc. and those are very popular. I don't worry about the "haters" so much. The lack of lines to meet him is less encouraging...I guess his location may not get the most foot traffic, now that I think about it.

In the US, Duffy is also about "travel" (one of the few aspects that made it over from Japan). When some days the majority of people at the Disneyland Resort parks are locals, the "travel buddy" motif may not be as generally successful, either.

I actually just had my first experience with Duffy hate. I am still shocked by it. The person filled with Duffy hate is an Ap holder to WDW and so far has not been able to explain "why" they hate Duffy-they just do.

Sooooo I am going to love my Duffy even more. Shellie May is sitting right here with me waiting no so patiently to try on her new Christmas outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by Eeee-va View Post

In the US, Duffy is also about "travel" (one of the few aspects that made it over from Japan). When some days the majority of people at the Disneyland Resort parks are locals, the "travel buddy" motif may not be as generally successful, either.
    Oh, yes, I always explain about Duffy going on voyages with Mickey and now he's supposed to be a travelling bear (and my bears are very active) but that part, especially to friends who aren't big travelers themselves, gets lost...watered down in their mind and they mostly focus on "the bear of happiness and luck" and his mickey symbols.

Quote Originally Posted by mmommie View Post
    I actually just had my first experience with Duffy hate. I am still shocked by it. The person filled with Duffy hate is an Ap holder to WDW and so far has not been able to explain "why" they hate Duffy-they just do.

Sooooo I am going to love my Duffy even more. Shellie May is sitting right here with me waiting no so patiently to try on her new Christmas outfit.
    Here are a few choice phrases that my sister and I call Momisms (from our mom).

Regarding the Duffy hate but they don't know why, they just do.

"nothing up here" tap your forehead with your index finger
    "a few screws loose"
    "need your head examined"

• Happy Spring!

maybe we can add "need more stuffing"

• Minion

One time when I was going through security check at DL, I had Lil D with me and I could swear that as I was walking away, the CM said, "I can't stand that thing, by the way." Now I don't really know if it was directed at me or if maybe she was finishing some unrelated conversation I wasn't privy to with the CM standing next to her. But I always wonder.

But yes, there does seem to be a certain degree of hate for the bear, on both coasts. If you start a topic about Duffy on any Disney message board, you get a lot more "I don't get it, it's just a dumb bear" and "Kill it with fire!" type responses than you do positive ones.

Quote Originally Posted by JillT View Post
    Here are a few choice phrases that my sister and I call Momisms (from our mom).

Regarding the Duffy hate but they don't know why, they just do.

"nothing up here" tap your forehead with your index finger
    "a few screws loose"
    "need your head examined"
    I am far more devious. I bought Duffy's for the children of the hater. The children LOVE Duffy and take him everywhere .

• Felice Natale!

…Unfortunately, his meet and greet is literally a couple steps away from a store selling Duffy merchandise, so it's very easy for cynical west-coasters to view him as a money-grab. (And in fairness, Disney's intentions seem to be little more than that.)
    Truly unfortunate.

…In the US, Duffy is also about "travel" (one of the few aspects that made it over from Japan). When some days the majority of people at the Disneyland Resort parks are locals, the "travel buddy" motif may not be as generally successful, either.
    Keen observation. Seems plausible to me.

Really curious what the manifestation was like, and so relieved your Care Package arrived safely. All those breakables made me so nervous!^^

Oh, yes, I always explain about Duffy going on voyages with Mickey and now he's supposed to be a travelling bear (and my bears are very active) but that part, especially to friends who aren't big travelers themselves, gets lost...watered down in their mind and they mostly focus on "the bear of happiness and luck" and his mickey symbols.
    I find it odd, interesting, and wonderful that "Happiness & Luck" has traction there. Far as I know, that's exclusively Japanese; I've never seen it in US marketing. I guess the Japanese vibe really is transpacific — !

I am far more devious. I bought Duffy's for the children of the hater. The children LOVE Duffy and take him everywhere .
    Now everyone on the train is staring at the hysterical foreigner!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Actual "HATRED FOR DUFFY"? Aw, who can hate a stuffed bear?
    Yep real actual hatred as in "DUFFY NEEDS TO DIE!" "DUFFY ISN'T A REAL DISNEY CHARACTER!" type of mentality. He's an innocent little teddy bear, but here in the States, so many see him as nothing but a cash grab on Disney's part (they're really not wrong regarding that aspect... the suits see nothing but dollar signs) and an over-priced Build A Bear rip-off. These people have their minds made up and NOTHING you do will change their opinion so I've given up on those close-minded fools. I just say, "What has a little TEDDY BEAR ever done to you? Huh?" and then leave it at that.

Luckily most of my experiences with Duffy at the parks has been positive. I've had CM's come up to me saying, "Oh where did you get your Duffy's outfit?" or they totally go NUTS over whatever shoes he's wearing (especially if he's wearing his "Chucks", flip-flops or combat boots). One time I happened to have Shellie May with me and a CM stopped me as she was passing by and said, "Oh my gosh is that Shellie May? Can I hold her?" And I've had random guests come up asking where I got whatever outfit Duffy is wearing to "I just wanted to tell you I think your bear is so cute!"

I'm taking Duffy with me next weekend to Christmas Town at Busch Gardens. I'm going with a friend who is bringing her Duffy as well, so it should be fun. Duffy has gotten a positive reaction from the employees there too. I've had stilt walkers go completely nuts over him. One was all, "OMG It's DUFFY! I WANNA HOLD DUFFY!" It was so funny! Another time my mom and I both had our bears with us and a stilt walker (might have been the same one) was all "DOUBLE DUFFY!"

• I Heart ShellieMay!

Haters gonna hate. It's just their nature. I hear things all the time that "hard core" traditional Disney fans hate that I just don't get. I understand how people would think Duffy is just a cash grab in the states but it's not his fault! I always get really positive comments about my ShellieMay bags that I wear in the parks though. Maybe it's the curiosity factor since we don't have her here but people seem to be loving her.

My care package arrived today!! I got the email from my university's mailroom while I was still in class and I was so excited I almost couldn't stand it.
    It was definitely the "pick me up" I needed-- I've had a form of pneumonia for an entire month so I've been a little down lately but Duffy always makes things better.

Tiny Duffy wanted to help, too! The first thing I noticed was the cute stamps around the box. Very nice touch, DuffyDaisuki!

Hooray! We got it open!

Me and Duffy LOVE the bag! It is amazing quality-- I can't wait to take him out in it.

Tea!! The bag is adorable and I'll be using it for cosmetics. I'll be trying the tea tonight as well.

And what's this? The cutest Christmas card ever! DuffyD also included some tasty treats and pamphlets from Tokyo Disney Sea

DuffyD, you are truly an amazing person for doing this. You put so much thought into the packaging and it really made me feel special. I can't wait for Sweet Duffy!!

• I Heart ShellieMay!

Congrats kittyloaf! OMG, I'm loving the tea case. I can't wait until mine gets here later today. I'm going to have to find a use for the adorable Shellie tag attached to it too! Cute Christmas card, DuffyD! You are so thoughtful.

• Happy Spring!

I retrieved my package from the post office today and am still at a loss for a name for the Duffy blanket. Shelby was easy for the Shellie May one. Any ideas?