Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• Munchings & Crunchings

Re: Sweet Duffy 2011

Wow again, DuffyDaisuki! For one thing, I didn't even know there was a story. When I click on the Sweet Duffy banner on the official site, it's broken and just reloads the main page. So, this story is new to me. Thank you for translating.

I really like the art style of minimal lines, and only faint color for everything but Duffy and Shellie May. I also appreciate that they keep Duffy and Shellie May from expressing feelings for each other. Both of them are content to bring love and joy to others, not themselves. It's also very nice to see continuity between all of the previous Sweet Duffy events, by having Duffy "train" Shellie May on how to do things...since he's done them before. Oh, and I love how they use the Hello From Cape Cod winter coats in the artwork to further tie things together. You could even use the coats over the Sweet Duffy costumes if you really wanted to, just like the artwork!

Anyway, thanks for staying up so late and doing all of this. Sleep well, and have "Sweet Duffy" dreams, LOL.

• Banned User

Thanks DuffyDaisuki for taking the time to translate the page for us and thanks for the info on the badges! I really like the story also, it's simple and cute! And like gurgi said, I like that there are no feelings between Duffy and Shellie! I think that would make it too awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    Oh, and I love how they use the Hello From Cape Cod winter coats in the artwork to further tie things together. You could even use the coats over the Sweet Duffy costumes if you really wanted to, just like the artwork!
    I thought the same thing! I'm actually planning on doing that! I think they propably designed the HFCC costume with the mindset that people would use them over te Cafe costumes! Love it!

• Munchings & Crunchings

I updated my blog with all of the Sweet Duffy merchandise.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Thumbs up Re: Sweet Duffy 2011

Quote Originally Posted by FutureImagineer183 View Post
    Thanks DuffyDaisuki for taking the time to translate the page for us...I really like the story also, it's simple and cute! And like gurgi said, I like that there are no feelings between Duffy and Shellie! I think that would make it too awkward.

...I think they propably designed the HFCC costume with the mindset that people would use them over te Cafe costumes! Love it!
    I took some photos like that; you can find them on my blog! Click the link in my signature and "Follow the fluff!" More followers means more updates...probly.^^

Also, they did put English captions on the Sweet Duffy 2011 story after all! I've gone back and added the new captions HERE.

And don't forget to check out the NEW official story, Duffy and Shellie May posted in the FAQs. The merchandise storybook actually has an English translation for the whole story!^^

• Munchings & Crunchings

Well, I got all my Sweet Duffy stuff yesterday, and the duffel coats. The details are so great. The coats are so nice, and there is no skimping on quality. They have lining, and the fabric is nice and thick. I have a coat that is similar to them, and the fabric is just about the same. They are very classy looking, and the scarves & hats are soft & truly knit. Sure, by a machine, but they are basically shrunken down human scarves, they're that nice.

The Sweet Duffy cafe costumes also are nicely detailed. I think ShellieMay's is a bit better than Duffy's though. Everything about her costume is high quality. Her hair bow is a nice, stiff fabric and sits on her head wonderfully, and the little lace trim is visible. The one thing that made me realize just how much attention to detail the Japanese "Duffy team" put into these costumes, were ShellieMay's panties. Ok, don't laugh, it's true! These are "bloomers" that you don't really see, except for the lace trim at the bottom, barely sticking out under her dress. However, they are a fully realized garment. There's a tiny little pink bow on the waistband. It's a totally unnecessary detail, because unless you're looking under her dress, you don't see it. It's like her other set of "drawers" from her basic skirt set. Those had a little embroidered "S" on them, and again, you only notice if you're looking at it. So, the fact that her Sweet Duffy costume consists of bloomers, a full dress, an apron, bow, and a giant "cookie", you really get a lot. Each piece is separate, and you could theoretically mix & match her clothes. No "one piece" outfits for these bears!

So, for those of you that chose to get any costumes from TDS, I'm sure you'll agree that it's all in the details, which have been amazing. It even puts Build-a-Bear stuff to shame!

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Thumbs up Re: Sweet Duffy 2011

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    ...The one thing that made me realize just how much attention to detail the Japanese "Duffy team" put into these costumes, were ShellieMay's panties. Ok, don't laugh, it's true! These are "bloomers" that you don't really see... However, they are a fully realized garment. There's a tiny little pink bow on the waistband. It's a totally unnecessary detail, because unless you're looking under her dress, you don't see it...

So, for those of you that chose to get any costumes from TDS, I'm sure you'll agree that it's all in the details, which have been amazing. It even puts Build-a-Bear stuff to shame!
    Honestly, Build-A-Bear doesn't even compare, except for shoes. TDS Duffy really is a completely different thing. The thing that makes Duffy "Duffy" for me is precisely this level of detail. It makes me sincerelly sad that the American parks are even lacking behind Build-A-Bear in this respect; that is truly shameful.

Tokyo Duffy has the kind of attention to detail that we romantically remind ourselves Disney is all about. It's the things we imagine Walt Disney and Ub Iwerks and Mary Blair would have done. With TDS Duffy merchandise, it's right there, in your hands, undeniable.

Everything about Duffy is superfluous and absolutely unnecessary - to craft mass-produced character goods with such luxurious abandon and delicate precision - there really is something special about these bears! Duffy is, more than anything else for me, the symbol of what makes TDR (especially TDS) so wonderful - it's literally the Disney that I imagine Disney to be when I wax nostalgic in my heart/mind. I can actually go there; and with Duffy, I can even bring that romantic quality into my home and everywhere I go. Now that he's spreading to the world, I see Duffy as a symbol of Disney's potential. I really hope that if Duffy's gonna continue to go global, eventually the quality catches up, too. It's only when Duffy and Shellie are infused with lots of genuine care that they really do become magical, for child-hearts of any age.

• Adventures with Duffy

DuffyDaisuki, you should think about doing marketing for DLR and WDW. The way you talk about Duffy would make anyone fall in love with him.

I agree that the detail in TDL and TDS is amazing. Walt would be proud of those parks. I think Walk would love the idea that a bear with a Mickey face has become so well loved and so well designed. I can't think of any other line that has been so well thought out and deigned like all things Duffy.

When I received the coat, I thought wow, where is one in my size. lol I think that TDS could do something like that, have clothes for the guest that match Duffy. I know it would here, I do wonder who the Japanese guest would like it or not. Im not thinking it has to be matchie matchie. Just the same style, different colors. Maybe a few more feathers in the guest ones. Like an inside the coat pocket for cell phone and wallet.

Ahh Mary Blair. What a great designer she was. It did bring an idea, it would be cool if they did costumes from Its a Small World for Duffy and Shellie May. Bring back the detail that Mary Blair did in her costumes. I know she did more then iasw, its just the first attraction I think of when I think of Mary Blair.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Janell View Post
    When I received the coat, I thought wow, where is one in my size. lol
    That's funny because when I showed one of my friends Duffy in his coat she seriously said "OMG! This bear has a better coat than any of mine!"

It just proves how well Tokyo does it! Every time I show one of my fellow CMs pics of my Duffy, they always freak out and want to know where I get the costumes! It's actually kind of sad because our costumes are rags compared to TDS quality! They are just so wonderful! And it makes me want to replicate the amount of detail! So much so that I'm investing in a embroidery/sewing machine to start making pieces! I've said it before and I'll say it again, Duffy makes me want to create! Of course I usually don't have time to do things, but when I have free time I'm going to try to start creating creating creating! It's just what he does to me! LOL

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234