Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Sweet Duffy 2011

Anlthough she started out as just a product, Shellie May was launched during Sweet Duffy 2010 with major fan-created fanfare, and the same amount of quality and attention to detail as Duffy. Throughout the year, she's been given the same level of merchandising support. OLC was completely caught off-guard by the response to Shellie last year and the hype was largely a result of the fans themselves.

My suspicion, based on absolutely nothing, is that this year's Sweet Duffy will feature a further expansion of at least the Sweet Duffy storyline that will include Shellie May. It's actually not based on nothing, I guess. There's already the story of Duffy opening his cafe, but it's tied to the old version of his uniform. Sweet Duffy seems like the annual event where, so far, some measure of new storyline is always created. It's part of what makes Sweet Duffy so special for Duffy fans. I think we may see a story this year about Shellie working at the cafe with Duffy, to feature the new uniforms that continue the "+Shellie May" reboot of old costumes that's been going on all year.

I can't wait for Sweet Duffy 2011! I really hope it does add a little depth to Shellie May, or at least gives her something to do. Sorry for those hoping for the merchandise info. I was just thinking about Shellie May and then Sweet Duffy and just kinda planned this thread as a "placeholder" for that update, which should be any day now...

• Surfin the net with Duffy

Re: Sweet Duffy 2011

I cannot wait till more info is released!

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

• Munchings & Crunchings

I think there will at least be new artwork incorporating Shellie May into the cafe concept. Maybe a new storybook with her included? I'm also hoping for another canvas tote bag. I have all of them so far, and I was thinking that this year might be caramel colored at the bottom. Last year it was pink, so they probably won't repeat that. We'll see...

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    ...I'm also hoping for another canvas tote bag. I have all of them so far, and I was thinking that this year might be caramel colored at the bottom. Last year it was pink, so they probably won't repeat that. We'll see...
    I'm guessing dark chocolate brown if they do one; I don't think they've had that yet. You know what else I just realized? - none of those Japanese Duffy blogs have merchandise other than the bears, costumes and plush straps. I mean, Disney Bear Duffy has the medallions, but I'm talking about towels, mobile straps, jewelry, snacks, etc... You have all of those totes, don't you? You should add them to your blog! Just an idea.^^

• Munchings & Crunchings

They did release a chocolate brown one, this past Halloween. The first canvas bag was released for Halloween 2009, and it was orange. They've done one every season since, including a larger, generic one that is blue. I can do a "bag" update on my blog. There are 2 Halloween ones, (orange & brown), 2 Christmas ones (red & green), and one Sweet Duffy/Valentines Day one that's pink. So, I hope that this year is caramel. I was actually hoping they would do purple, but that doesn't seem to be the color scheme for this season's Sweet Duffy. It looks like just shades of brown and pink. So, that's why I figured they might go with caramel. Unless they decide to abandon the bag idea...I hope not.

Oh, and you're right, I haven't seen a blog that shows all of the other Duffy merchandise. That would be really nice to see as well, to get an idea of what's been released before.

I sure hope the official site updates next week with the Sweet Duffy stuff.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Lightbulb Re: Sweet Duffy 2011

Good news, gurgi!

There will definitely be a new tote! Thanks to a friend who gave me a head's up, we now have at least a more complete list of merchandise, even if we can't actually see photos and pricing yet. This is from the "Duffy Goods Entry Service" page on the official site, translated for your pleasure:

*I honestly can't tell from the layout if "1/21 Release" means all three categories or ONLY Sweet Duffy. 1/21 seems WAY too soon for a new HFCC release and since the picture book is with the regular series goods, I'm gonna go ahead and assume the header only really applies to this first group. I was totally wrong; THERE WILL BE A NEW "HELLO FROM CAPE COD" RELEASE ON 1/21!

1/21 RELEASE GOODS:
    SWEET DUFFY
    Postcard (I imagine this is actually a set, but it doesn't say so)
    Stickers
    Pair Strap Set (1 Duffy, 1 Shellie seems a safe bet)
    (Metal?) Strap (Duffy and Shellie May designs sold separately...I think this is the one in DisneyFAN)
    Mug
    Thermal Mug
    Bowl Set (I guess with spoon???)
    Cafe Costume Set (Duffy and Shellie May sets sold separately)
    Cafe Plush Badge (Duffy and Shellie May designs sold separately)
    Lap Blanket
    Earring Set (This intrigues me...)
    Tote Bag (Since it probly won't be chocolate again, I'm betting golden caramel, too^^)
    *UNLESS: It's a new version of the BIG tote like 2009's...also a possibility, but I kinda doubt it
    Wash Towel (Duffy and Shellie May designs sold separately)
    Candy (Probably in tin can)
    Chocolates (Probably in tin box)
    Cookie (Probably in paper box)
    Hot Chocolate (Probably also paper box)

Come to think of it, a lot of - maybe even all of - the sweets were also in DisneyFAN; I was busy that day and just focused on the costumes. Anybody have DisneyFAN and wanna edit this list with photos and pricing? Thanks in advance!^^

HELLO FROM CAPE COD
    (MYSTERY???) Costume Set (Duffy and Shellie May sets sold separately)
    (MYSTERY???) Plush Badge (Duffy and Shellie May designs sold separately)
    *THIS IS A NEW RELEASE ON 1/21!!! IT IS UNKNOWN AT THIS TIME WHAT THE NEW "HELLO FROM CAPE COD COSTUMES WILL BE. From the Official Site

REGULAR GOODS
    Picture Book (Sadly, the location of this item and the fact that they've been selling the "Sweet Duffy" storybook everyday since last year's event makes me think we shouldn't expect a storyline expansion with Shellie May. On the other hand, that means my story is still canon for all intents and purposes, which I'm fine with)
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 01-06-2011 at 08:01 PM. Reason: WHOA!!! Crazy LOTS of releases!

• Adventure and Discovery!

I see a few things that have piqued my interest, mostly the Postcards, Stickers, and Thermal Mug.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Whew...thanks for that list, DuffyDaisuki! I can breathe a sigh of relief that there isn't anything new that sounds extremely tempting. Also, that the tote bag is a go. As of now, I definitely need both sets of costumes, and then just the tote bag. I'm still contemplating the dessert plate & mugs. I need to see the design better, I think. I was personally hoping there wouldn't be a ton of new things to buy for this event, because I need to not spend too much...

The anticipation is killing me!!

I am ready to see the blanket, last year I was sitting on a bench with a cute japanese couple that had Duffy blankets. I really wanted one!

We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.

• Munchings & Crunchings

I noticed that there is no pillow this year in that list. I should have bought both the 2009 and 2010 pillows. They were very cute. Oh well. A blanket would be nice too, but I have to see it. Also...so much money...I need to hold back, LOL!

• Banned User

OMG! I almost fainted! My boyfriend is gonna kill me! This is just way too much! As much as I love costumes, I really hope this isn't a new trend: 2-3 costume releases a month. I am going to go (EVEN MORE) broke! I'm actually gonna do my taxes really early this year!

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Thumbs up Re: Sweet Duffy 2011

Quote Originally Posted by FutureImagineer183 View Post
    OMG! I almost fainted!…This is just way too much! As much as I love costumes, I really hope this isn't a new trend: 2-3 costume releases a month…
    I have to say that I agree. I hope this is just to increase the hype of Sweet Duffy, but I really can't imagine that the 1/21 costume is Valentine-themed. With the duffel coats already out today, I'm actually not sure what the theme might be — it really is a mystery!

On the plus side, I guess it's a good opportunity for new Duffy fans to get a lot of costumes at once? Maybe they feel that Shellie May's launch one year ago was the beginning of the major push into mainstream Tokyo/Japanese consciousness, and now they're trying to offer new fans a way to catch up quickly? I dunno… It is totally unexpected, though. That alone makes me smile. Whatever it is, it will be a complete surprise. Let's hope it's a welcome one!^^

*faints*

• Adventure and Discovery!

Well there goes my bank account. However Duffy will be extremly happy.

• Munchings & Crunchings

OMG....just when I thought it was safe, LOL! Wow...six costumes in a month! I hope I can handle that. And...I also hope it's not a trend, I cannot keep up with that all year long...we need a break! However, with TDS' 10th anniversary, I'm scared...

It's going to cost over $300 just for all the costumes! I'm going to pass out, I think...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast