• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Who is Shellie May?

Quote Originally Posted by FutureImagineer183 View Post
    Nope no Shellie. I wouldn't expect her for a while. The main focus for the merchandise in this coming year will be Duffy. He needs to get more exposure before they can introduce his lady friends. I do wonder how they would handle her release. She, to me, seems more of a TDS product than Duffy. Duffy has the background of traveling around the world, but to me Shellie only fits with Cape Cod. We'll see!
    I agree that Shellie, like the Disney Bear, started out as simply a product. To be fair, though, she was created in response to consumer demand for a distinctly female Duffy. Oh, and I finally thought of one non-romantic male/female Disney character pair - Woody and Jessie! Can you guys think of any others?

Last year, as some probably remember, I was deeply opposed to the very idea of Shellie May. Now that we're approaching Sweet Duffy 2011 and her first anniversary, I thought it might be interesting to talk about how we perceive Shellie May. I still think she did change the meaning of "Duffy" in a limiting way, but I think she added more than she took away. I have to say, I can't believe it's only been a year and she's grown on me this much.

Her magic is really different from Duffy's magic; she definitely has her own identity. While I'd agree with you that the need to have a male version and a female version of "the teddy bear character" probably is a TDS market thing, Shellie does potentially add something worth having to the Duffyverse. She's not officially developed yet, but I do think she's a genuine character. I really find her energy different from, yet completely complimentary to Duffy's. I have a true story about Shellie May magic in the real world that I can't wait to share, but it's still unfolding...

By the way, FutureImagineer, I imagine that Shellie loves to travel and explore as much as Duffy does, but her spirit was inherited from a shipwreck, so she likes big cruises but not daring sea voyages. Maybe she's even actually terrified of the sea! Or maybe just because (for me) her origins involve brave seafaring, she kinda thinks, "been there, done that." I think for Shellie May, it's less about adventure and more about socializing and cultural learning. I think she's fascinated by the human world, particularly its artists and creators (but she sees that in everyone), in a way that is slightly different from Duffy. In my world, Shellie May is a jet-setter (who wants to invite everyone to the party)! How do you guys see Shellie?

The one good thing about a lack of backstory is that we still get to have this kind of speculation, I guess.
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 01-02-2011 at 01:41 AM.

Re: Who is Shellie May?

So only at Disney Sea.... hmm.

I like that they didn't make her bright pink, is a lot more nicer that she is paler color of Duffy.... and this is coming from a my little pony collector, LOL

Looking at your site, her story is good.

• Munchings & Crunchings

My view of Shellie May is like yours, DuffyDaisuki. Your story helped a lot, but even with her basic "no frills" official story, there is a different vibe to her than Duffy. She seems more outgoing than he is, and her purpose seems to just be a friend. Duffy was made to comfort Mickey and help him not be lonely, so Duffy was a loyal companion and then set off on his own adventures. She seems to just be happy meeting people and looking cute. I like to think she's even more fashionista than Duffy. I am also very happy they haven't made them overtly a couple (yet anyway). Sure, they had them sharing treats and she was staring at Duffy kind of...suggestively in last year's Sweet Duffy artwork, but there have been no "kisses" or other romantic things the other Disney couples get. I like that more innocent approach...just good friends.

Oh, and your example of Woody and Jessie is a good one, although she does have a romantic attachment to Buzz. Woody has...well, had Bo Peep, and Buzz has Jessie. It's kind of interesting that she and Woody can be such good friends. I like the duality of that. You don't see Mickey and Daisy just hanging out being friends.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Thumbs up Re: Who is Shellie May?

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    ...I am also very happy they haven't made them overtly a couple (yet anyway). Sure, they had them sharing treats and she was staring at Duffy kind of...suggestively in last year's Sweet Duffy artwork, but there have been no "kisses" or other romantic things the other Disney couples get. I like that more innocent approach...just good friends.
    I actually see them as siblings - twins - so if that kind of thing ever happens with them, it will really turn me off. Regardless, smoochie romance just does not match their innocent, open feeling. I sort of think this is something Disney really understands and we will always see the bears as close, but they can always represent siblings, boy/girl friendship *gasp!*, or even sweethearts (if you're into that). I think this kind of open interpretation is important for the nature of them as fan emotive mascot characters. I don't think they should be clearly defined as twins, either, just because that's how I see them. We should just know that they're close, and everything else is up to fans.

This way, dads and daughters, mothers and sons, male/female BFFs, brothers and sisters, and yes even couples will all be able to buy Duffy/Shellie merchandise and identify with it. And since they're mass-produced unique bears, Duffy/Duffy and Shellie/Shellie combos can carry all of those same meanings. From a merchandising perspective, which for these characters more than most is always part of how story has to be conceived, it's the obvious way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    Oh, and your example of Woody and Jessie is a good one, although she does have a romantic attachment to Buzz. Woody has...well, had Bo Peep, and Buzz has Jessie. It's kind of interesting that she and Woody can be such good friends. I like the duality of that. You don't see Mickey and Daisy just hanging out being friends.
    Yeah, there's an episode of House of Mouse when Mickey and Daisy are totally BFFs and they even do a duet together - I it precisely because of this! (YouTube LINK) Why isn't House of Mouse on DVD??? I would pay anything to have all of it! It's the best little time capsule of the main gang I think Disney has ever done, and some parts of it show a lot of creativity. I love how it's contemporary and also shows classics. This episode, "Daisy's Debut," is a great one, I think, even though it doesn't really feature the classic cartoons.

I hate the way Bo Peep just disappeared like that. I hope Toy Story 4: Finding Bo Peep has them using a computer to find her on eBay or Craig'sList or something. I love Annie Potts and I love this character! As far as Buzz and Jessie, I think it's sweet - and original! They aren't a design pair. And I appreciate that they didn't make some "space babe" version of Buzz for Woody to like just to make things all the same. Jessie and Woody are still the only non-romantic design pair I can think of... If anyone thinks of more, please post!^^

• Surfin the net with Duffy

Very insightful, and I enjoy your story of Shellie. I am waiting to purchase her in person.

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

• Munchings & Crunchings

Yeah, I admit, I like the more ambiguous interpretation of Duffy and Shellie May. They can be friends, siblings, a couple, whatever anybody wants. I hope it always stays that way.

Oh, and I had forgotten about that Mickey & Daisy number on House of Mouse. I'm not sure why more from that show was not released on DVD. They did a couple specials, like Halloween and Christmas, but never the whole series. There was also an episode on there that was really hilarious. Mickey and Donald had dress up as Minnie and Daisy to fix a mess they created. It's the first time I've ever seen them in drag, and it was very funny. Here's the short I'm talking about.

YouTube - Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck in: Mickey's big break

Oh, and I also love that Jessie and Buzz are an unexpected couple. The lazy thing would have been to have her be Woody's girlfriend, since they match. I like that they didn't do that. And, the "Spanish mode" thing from Toy Story 3 was a cute way to give Jessie & Buzz a new angle.