Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Duffy Moments in Real Life

Quote Originally Posted by The Forbidden Eye View Post
    Off-topic but I found this interesting.

Went to a Banfield Vet for my dogs appointment on Saturday and the doctor who did the general checkup had a interesting last name: Dr. Duffy! It took a while but her name on her coat confirmed it. Reminded me of this thread.
    This is a thread that was always impossibly off-topic without an actual Duffy forum, but one I've always wanted. I have these moments often. The way this forum came into existence - from the DLR thread to Malin's suggestion for coming here ("gatecrashing" aside^^) to the merging to a full-fledged forum - it also has the hallmarks of Duffy magic. In the real world, for me, Duffy has really come to be a symbol of diversity and facing adversity...with loving kindness.

For a less philosophical example, I was really exhausted yesterday, having not slept at all. I dragged myself to the train for work, sat down and the woman beside me had a Shellie May strap on her bag. It's a tiny coincidence, but it cheered me right up. It always cheers me up to have a random Duffy sighting, and fortunately, it happens without fail multiple times every single day. I don't really "look" for it, but I stay open to it, so it still counts. I have this theory that when "coincidences" start piling up, that's the Universe's way of telling you to keep paying attention - something is happening!^^

• Munchings & Crunchings

Re: Duffy Moments in Real Life

I haven't had one personally in NYC yet. Although, the closest I've come is this. My friend and coworker likes my Duffy bags I bring in to work. I use them almost every day, unless the weather is very bad (they have an open top, so things can get wet). Anyway, I rotate the bags all the time depending on the season, so everybody sees me with them (and want to steal them from me because they're so cute!). Well, she went to the post office near our job one day and came back to tell me that she was in line behind an older man who had one of the Duffy bags too. So, it's not just me, and somebody else in NYC loves Duffy enough to get and use the canvas tote bags too!

My boyfriend and I spent Christmas at home with my family in NY and we were snowed in (at the house, thank goodness!) due to the blizzard. Two days after we were supposed to leave, we woke up at 4:45 AM, as we had an early flight out of NY. The flight was smooth but we were very tired and I was not in the best mood because I really missed my family. When we arrived in Chicago and headed towards the gate for our flight to Orlando, I saw a young lady, probably in her mid-20s, carrying Duffy in his German outfit. She had a sense of confidence about her and held him close. She was only holding him, nothing else. Seeing someone else just smiling and carrying Duffy through a crowded airport made me smile (and made me want to take my Duffy out of my backpack and give him a hug!) Duffy is really such a special bear.

Welcome, WDW486!

Thank you for that moment with us. I can already see how this is going to become my favorite thread on MiceChat. More, more!

PS: Gurgi, if you don't log on and check out the Sweet Duffy thread soon, I'm gonna go crazy!!!^^

• Adventures with Duffy

Ive haven't seen a Duffy outside DLR locally. While at Disneyland my nephew had his wristlet Duffy. His dad was pushing him around the park and about 10 Japanese students saw Duffy and started to shoot photos of my nephew and his Duffy. My nephew is a real flirt(he's 2 years old) so he posed for them with Duffy. It was really cute.

Its always fun to run into Japanese tourist at Disneyland. They are so interested that someone else here has a Duffy. The notice that I have the clothing form TDS. I just wish I could talk to them more. Most don't know that much english and I don't know much japanese. But its cool, Duffy brings people together.

• Surfin the net with Duffy

*thumbs up*

That is so true Janell, I have had several Japanese girls yell out "Duffy" while traveling in various American airports. It makes me smile that he brings happiness :-)

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

• Adventures with Duffy

Thats funny Travis. And its cool too.

• Banned User

Well it's not really me, but Every time I ring up a Duffy I always ask the guests why they are getting one and if it's their first! The most common response I get is "Oh, my husband's name is Duffy so he will love this!" or "My last name is Duffy! and he's just so cute!". Theres a lot people with Duffy in their name! LOL

Also, when I bring Duffy to the parks, people always ask me where I get him and what he is! They're always so intrigued! And I love showing off the costumes to my friends while they're working! They always think I'm insane! But at the same time are jealous of the high quality! I've even come to bring him when I hang out with friends, and now they all want one! Especially my best friend's niece! She's really excited I'm giving her one for her birthday! But she also wants a Shellie May! Duffy just brings everyone together and makes me happy!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

If you come out to Busch Gardens Tampa this Saturday, I guarantee you'll see a Duffy there.

Saw someone carrying duffy through adelaide airport here in australia and it was a women about mid 20s. Never seen one here in oz before so I almost crash tackeled her to grab him :P Only just over 2 weeks till I have my very own duffy

My partner and I were recently at a Titanic exhibition in Melbourne Australia when my she noticed a clip-on bear on someone's handbag. She took off after the girl to try and get a closer look. The girl was a Japanese tourist and didn't know much English, but with sign language, she understood my partner wanted to look at the bear. When she turned its head, my partner yelled out "Duffy" (I could hear that across the exhibition lobby!). The Japanese girl broke out into a big smile and said "You know Duffy!" - the only English sentence we got her to say

Now when we talk about our Melbourne trip, she always says "Remember how we met that Duffy down there?"
    KayBee
    Sydney, Australia

DLR - May 2005, Sept 2006, Sept 2009, June 2011, June 2012, April 2013
    WDW - Sept 2006, Mar 2013, April 2013, Sept 2013
    DLRP - Sept 2006
    HKDL - Mar 2006, Sept 2006, April 2011, Dec 2011, Jan 2012, Mar 2014
    TDR - April 2008, Oct 2010
    Disney Fantasy - Mar 2013

• Banned User

I Kinda had a Duffy moment today while at work! I was ringing a guest up and he pulled put his ID for his discount! And guess what it was a TDR ID!!! I was so flushe with excitement I just started gushing about the parks and how much I wanted to go there! And then he told me " well you should meet her! She the Home Manager for the resort!" and he pointed to his entorouge and the woman he was with was like he said the home manager! My eyes started watering and I told her how proud she should be with the parks! And through her translator she was very happy I wanted to go to the parks! And then I told her about my love for Duffy and Shellie May! And then I said I was REALLY excited for Sweet Duffy and that I was going to get some items from the event! She was shocked and happy that I knew so much about the parks! And I told her I was a HUGE fan of Disney and she urged me to go visit the parks in the future! It was actually a very exciting encounter! And really made my day! They truely seemed like the type of people who cared about their product! And that's what really hit me and got me teary eyed! It reminded me of keeping Walt's legacy and dream alive!

• Munchings & Crunchings

That's a cute story, FutureImagineer183. It's interesting that they were in your store shopping. I wonder what she thought of US Duffy? I'm glad you were so enthusiastic too, I'm sure that made an impression on her.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

During a trip to California in 2009 as I was checking out of my hotel after spending a couple of weeks at the Disneyland Resort. A Japanese family showed up to check in and the girl has in her arms a Duffy dressed in a dress. Lets say thanks to OLC who introduced Shellie May so we no longer have to put up with cross-dressing Duffy's.

During my last trip to Tokyo as I was lining up at Heathrow Airport in London to drop my bagage off and the Girl next to me had a small Duffy attached to her bag.

• Future Indy Castmember

As I was leaving DCA last night, I saw two japanese tourists who were waiting for the majority of the WoC crowd to disperse. I saw that each of them had Duffys. I looked closer and saw that the costumes the two Duffys were wearing were clearly from TDS! And the way they looked also confirmed that they were from Japan.

I like hearing responses from people who notice my Duffy. Yesterday on the DLRR, several young kids in the row in front of me (was on the foward view cars) kept looking at my Duffy.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast