Thread: My First Duffy

Talking My First Duffy șOș

FINALLY got my first Duffy today--actually, my first Duffys. LOL! They're like potato chips---you can't have just one! LOL! I went to get one today at DCA, and ended up with TWO! I couldn't decide between them & had been wanting one for some time; since I had a Birthday Fun Gift card with a lot still left on it, I had to get both. Plus I would have felt bad leaving the other one behind...lol! They are SOOO adorable, especially together!!

I even got a hug from Duffy out in front of the Treasures in Paradise store. We all rode on California Screamin', then went & watched them make tortillas & sourdough bread. I think they enjoyed it...

I thought it would be cool to have a thread where everyone talks about the first time they got their Duffy. So, maybe if anyone would like to share their first experience with Duffy, how & where they got him, and how they first heard about him, I guess this would be a good place to do it! I Duffy!!!
    Last edited by Duffy Lover; 01-14-2011 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Added photo

• Banned User

Re: My First Duffy

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy Lover View Post
    FINALLY got my first Duffy--actually, my first Duffys. LOL! I thought it would be cool to have a thread where everyone talks about the first time they got their Duffy. They're like potato chips---you can't have just one! LOL! So, maybe if anyone would like to share their first experience with Duffy, how they got him, and how they heard about him, I guess this would be a good way to do it!
    Congrats on getting Duffy I feel the same way. I first heard about him from Tokyo DisneySea Trip Reports... and I always thought "big whoop, it's a bear... come on people" and now I actually see what the fuss is about. The story, the magic, the need to take pictures of him. It's addicting, really. Anyway, I started to get more interested when I heard they were bringing him to the United States. I guess that was a good thing because otherwise I would still be wondering what the big deal was!

Quote Originally Posted by stevo505 View Post
    Congrats on getting Duffy I feel the same way. I first heard about him from Tokyo DisneySea Trip Reports... and I always thought "big whoop, it's a bear... come on people" and now I actually see what the fuss is about. The story, the magic, the need to take pictures of him. It's addicting, really. Anyway, I started to get more interested when I heard they were bringing him to the United States. I guess that was a good thing because otherwise I would still be wondering what the big deal was!
    Thanks! I know! I'd NEVER heard about him; we were standing in line last month waiting to get on the tram from Disneyland to the parking structure, and we saw two people with these bears, and I finally had to ask them what they were. My friend already knew who Duffy was and what the story was...but I just totally fell in love with him!! Now I have ODD---Obsessive Duffy Disorder! Today's the first day I've been able to get back & get one...er, two...of him. LOL! He's TOTALLY addicting!!! Can't wait to start taking pics all over with him! SOOOOO adorable!! So cute!!! I LOVE Duffy!!!

• Future Indy Castmember

I still remember the day I got him. When they announced that Duffy was coming to the North American Disney Parks, I became interested in Duffy as I read that he was extremely popular over at Tokyo. 2 days after Duffy was released (effectivley the day of the CHOC Walk) I made another visit to the parks and one of the first things I did was to head over to DCA and check out Duffy after I got my World of Color FP. Took a picture with him first then headed into the store to buy my Duffy! With the sailor suit, the cost would've been close to $40 without tax. Fortunatley the holiday discount (20% with Premium AP) and the $5 gift card I still had which came with the Tim Burton Alice DVD when I bought it in Disneyland, brought it down to around $29.

The first day was spent taking pictures with my Duffy. Since then, I haven't brought him back to the parks, but i'll bring him back one of these days.

As I type this, Duffy is having fun watching the Lakers.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

Quote Originally Posted by The Forbidden Eye View Post

As I type this, Duffy is having fun watching the Lakers.
    I think mine are going to be big Lakers fans as well!

• Banned User

Well, I was like stevo505. I had known about Duffy for a few years, but never really understood the big fuss. Then they had the whole CM preview of Duffy, and I was like "Seriously, could this be any stupider??!?". But I kept creeping more and more into the TDR forum, and read DuffyDaisuki's translation of the story and was intrigued. I kept looking more and more into him and found Gurgi's blog also and found out the whole history behind him. I think thats when I fell in love! I researched all the cosplay from Japan and it really motivated me to get one! By the time he was released here in the states, I wanted one! But I waited it out until the CM 40% discount was in effect, October 24th. I went to the park with the sole purpose being to buy Duffy! I went with my boyfriend and it was quite an adventure heading to Treasures, seeing all my friends from work. When I made it up there, I took my time choosing just the right Duffy for me and I am sooooo SOOO happy with the one I picked! I also got him his sailor outfit. And right after getting him I took my picture with Duffy right outside, had a blast and took photos all over both parks! What a great day it was! The day most of my coworkers thought I lost my marbles! LMAO

I also want to take the time to talk about Shellie May, because she is also VERY special to me! I received a contact from a MCer here on the site that could help me get costumes from Japan! She is very gracious and I'm glad I've stuck a deal with her and she helps me so much with TDS Duffy swag! Well, after a few months of loving Duffy, Duffy told me he was lonely and wanted a friend to keep company! So I contacted my friend from Japan t inquire about adopting a Shellie May! She was gracious enough to not only get one Shellie May, but two! Just so I could choose the best match for Duffy! After much contemplating, I chose the one would make the perfect friend for Duffy! She came to me straight from Japan on 12/23! Duffy was so excited to meet her! And even more that they had matching outfits! Duffy and Shellie work hard to keep me motivated and they even help me when I sew! Especially Shellie! She has become quite the seamstress and fashionista! She can't wait to show you guys what we've got cooked up! (I'm saving up for a new sewing machine first though) Duffy helps too! He's the model! So far we've got a prototype for a raincoat design!

Anyways, thats my story, and they are very dear to my heard! They keep me motivated and on my toes!

• Munchings & Crunchings

Great idea for a thread. For me, it built up slowly. The first "Meeting" was back in 2003 when I saw him as "Disney Bear". At the time, I thought he was cute, but couldn't bring myself to buy one because the story was weak, and I didn't need another plush thing. Plus, they didn't have costumes then, so it was just the bear. I'm kicking myself now that I didn't at least buy the lavender one, because I love that color and a lavender Duffy would be so cute.

So, I dismissed Disney Bear as a fad, and sure enough they all ended up at the outlet stores. I never bought one even then. Well, by new you guys know how Disney Bear became Duffy in Japan. At the time, I still didn't really take notice. I think I saw pictures of him online and knew at some point he became Duffy, but it didn't catch me yet. It was not until late 2008 that I noticed more activity. It was because of Tokyo Disneyland's 25th anniversary, and the big Duffy costume push that year. I thought they were cute, but still didn't buy anything.

This is when DuffyDaisuki came to Micechat and really helped me see who and what Duffy was. He was the first champion over here. I fell in love with Duffy because of him. I didn't actually get my very own Duffy until the spring of 2009 though. So, now that I think about it, it's been almost 2 years since I adopted my first Duffy.

When I got him, I wanted to savor the moment, so I took my camera and documented opening the box and trying on all the costumes. It was a lot of fun, and I've fallen in love with my bears even more. I've since adopted the "smiling" Duffy, and also Shellie May. So, I have my own version of the 3 bears. They really do bring me comfort and help me "de-stress" just by looking at their cute faces and giving them a hug.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders,Artists & Romantics
    Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum

Also, Check out my Duffy blog and become a follower.

http://duffythedisneybear.blogspot.com/

• no flash photography...

that look exactly like the bear I bought about 4 years ago. It was a my first bear thing...So did they recycle it as a duffy?

never mind. I read the above post. I gave the Disney bear to my puppy. As he got older the destroyed the bear. He loves tearing stuffies apart, but only his.

•   
    • Daffy about Disneyland

Blog Entries

Aren't the Bears in the first post identical? They look the same to me. That's why I am confused as to why the originator of this thread said that they couldn't decide between the two Bears.

I guess I will have a first hand look at Duffy when I visit DCA two weeks from now. I am sure I will have my picture taken with Duffy. Will I come home with one in my suitcase? Probably not since there will be no room.
    My Next Disneyland Vacation - ​May 29, 2014 - June 5, 2014

My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

well we like to say, every duffy is different to each person

a lot of the fun is picking out which duffy you want

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    Aren't the Bears in the first post identical? They look the same to me. That's why I am confused as to why the originator of this thread said that they couldn't decide between the two Bears.

I guess I will have a first hand look at Duffy when I visit DCA two weeks from now. I am sure I will have my picture taken with Duffy. Will I come home with one in my suitcase? Probably not since there will be no room.
    Can you take him as a carry-on? It would be a shame not to have a Duffy of your own.

•   
    • Daffy about Disneyland

Blog Entries

I will let the moment decide whether or not I come home with a Duffy. I am sure I could always have them ship him if I really decide to purchase one.
    My Next Disneyland Vacation - ​May 29, 2014 - June 5, 2014

My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• Munchings & Crunchings

It's not so much that there are different Duffy plush anymore, its more like deciding on which in the same
    pile you want to buy. It's like any plush where there are variances between each plush that make it more...or less attractive to you. They are subtle differences though, like the two in the first post.

• Munchings & Crunchings

It's not so much that there are different Duffy plush anymore, its more like deciding on which in the same
    pile you want to buy. It's like any plush where there are variances between each plush that make it more...or less attractive to you. They are subtle differences though, like the two in the first post.