Hong Kong Disneyland Gets New Duffy Outfit....Sorta

I had high hopes that perhaps Hong Kong Disney might get something totally unique for Chinese New Year in regards to Duffy outfits since I hadn't seen any official pictures on the merchandise release yet. They have been talking about make sure you see Duffy when visiting during CNY, so I thought he might be dressed up and perhaps a new outfit to go with him.

Well, they do have a new outfit to them.....but, it's the sailor outfit from the US Parks! I got to see pictures of all the new 5th anniversary merchandise from a CM there and he's a big Duffy Fan so he had photos of what's in the stores right now. In addition to the sailor outfit, it appears they got the giant Duffy too.

So, when Duffy was released in HK back in November, they got the original Duffy TDS outfit and the Santa TDS outfit. All Duffy stuff was priced in line with TDS totals and now they are getting the cheaper US outfit. I am quite interested to see how the pricing is on this one, along with the big giant Duffy Bear. What pricing are they going to adopt? I am there this weekend for the Chinese New Year and 5th Anniversary kick off, so will definitely check it out.

I am pretty disappointed. I figured if they were going to release a US outfit, it would've at least been the Chinese one that was in line with the holiday. I am not necessarily disappointed they are releasing a US outfit because it is the US version, but I am disappointed by the fact that Duffy appears to be the step child in HK. He is getting outfits from Tokyo and the US -- but what about something that is unique to HK? HK Duffy fans are a large and loyal bunch -- they will get stuff form all the parks so why not even give them the satisfaction of having at least one outfit that is exclusive to HKDL?
    New Disney Blog: Pooh's Travels
    Worldwide Disney Theme Parks Examiner for Examiner.com

• Banned User

Re: Hong Kong Disneyland Gets New Duffy Outfit....Sorta

Awww, that really does suck! For a moment I actually thought I might have to start getting costumes from HKDL! But since they're just getting the same ones, I don't feel so inclined. It really is a shame.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Yeah, it is a shame, especially since they did the Duffy kickoff right. Although now that Christmas is over, I wonder how the park will handle him? I liked that they had the TDS costumes, even if they weren't originals. It's weird having both at the same time. Although, we were wishing they would do that at DL and WDW too. I"m curious about the pricing between them too. Oh, and whatever happened to Duffy appearing at Disneyland Paris? I know it got postponed, but I'm wondering if it's ever going to happen now?

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    Oh, and whatever happened to Duffy appearing at Disneyland Paris? I know it got postponed, but I'm wondering if it's ever going to happen now?
    Not to stray too far off-topic, but I've been wondering about that, too. In Paris, I keep imagining that Duffy is a true fashion icon like here. I was thinking about it the other day after seeing yet another Duffy on a designer handbag, that TDR and DLP are uniquely positioned in globally fashion forward cities. You could really make the argument for HKDL, too, which is why I'm kinda surprised they aren't doing more with him. Didn't Vivienne Tam do costumes for the Mouses in 2008? I'd love to see what she'd cook up for Duffy. Or...*swoon*...SHIATZY CHEN!!! Ok, I'm just fantasizing now.^^

But I'd love to see a Paris launch maybe even as a crossover project with designer brands like Louis Vuitton, Chanel, Givenchy, Hermes... Japanese fans would lose their minds over something like that!

Back to the point, do they not even have the Chinese one at all in HKDL? It seems just a ridiculous business decision since Chinese New Year is a really big deal there...

• Munchings & Crunchings

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    Not to stray too far off-topic, but I've been wondering about that, too. In Paris, I keep imagining that Duffy is a true fashion icon like here. I was thinking about it the other day after seeing yet another Duffy on a designer handbag, that TDR and DLP are uniquely positioned in globally fashion forward cities. You could really make the argument for HKDL, too, which is why I'm kinda surprised they aren't doing more with him. Didn't Vivienne Tam do costumes for the Mouses in 2008? I'd love to see what she'd cook up for Duffy. Or...*swoon*...SHIATZY CHEN!!! Ok, I'm just fantasizing now.^^

But I'd love to see a Paris launch maybe even as a crossover project with designer brands like Louis Vuitton, Chanel, Givenchy, Hermes... Japanese fans would lose their minds over something like that!

Back to the point, do they not even have the Chinese one at all in HKDL? It seems just a ridiculous business decision since Chinese New Year is a really big deal there...
    Wow, that kind of fashion tie-in would be amazing! Although it would require Disney paying a lot more attention to Duffy. I have to say, that might turn some heads though, if serious designers were making Duffy clothes. I probably couldn't afford them, LOL, but I would love to see them.

The Chinese costume not being sold at HKDL does seem like serious oversight. I mean the costume exists...it's not hard. I mean they went so far as to change "Tokyo DisneySea" on the "Hello from Cape Cod" costumes to "Disney Parks"...so what's the deal here?