Page 14 of 144 FirstFirst ... 411121314151617243964114 ... LastLast

Re: New Duffy Merchandise

Quote Originally Posted by updebrooke View Post
    Just wanted to let everyone know that Epcot has the Priates and Cars outfit. Another surprise that I found, they have the 7 piece Pin set. I love it!!
    I was at EPCOT today and didn't see these. Can I ask where and what time you saw them?

• Felice Natale!

Quote Originally Posted by FI183 View Post
    All the details on both costumes are embroidered or stitched! They did not skimp out on these! The pockets are even REAL! They are so cute in person! And finally we're getting some detail!!! Can't wait to see them on Duffy! I REALLY want the pirate one! It's just too cute to pass up!
    It's nice to hear that the pockets are not just flaps (I had assumed they were). And while I agree that embroidery is generally better than painted on, it certainly isn't the same quality as a sewn-on button. Further, since it's even harder to remove than painted on, replacing these "buttons" with real ones wouldn't even be a very practical option unless you use simple plastic discs exactly the same size and shade as the existinge embroidery. Build-A-Bear never does painted-on or embroidered buttons - shame on you, Disney!

I expect Disney, as the owner of the character and the planet's most celebrated and well-resourced character merchandising house, to be the industry leader producing the absolute pinnacle of creativity and construction. Disney's details should be perfect; that's what makes it Disney. The problem is that if these sell well, we should expect to see more corner-cutting in the future. I think it's a step in the right direction, but I'm reserving my jumping claps for when they actually start producing at an acceptable standard of quality appropriate to the Disney legacy, which is precisely what the Duffy character/product is meant to be ensouled by and embody.

The pirate costume is cute, but clearly not their best possible work, which for me creates a disappointment. How much are these, by the way? At $15 I'd say it's "reasonable" but not a bargain; I'm thinking they're up around $30 now, though. That's getting close to Tokyo price for not nearly the same quality - and they don't have to pay licensing fees! I find that outrageous. I would like to see more photos, though. My opinion could change considerably if those garishly over-bright and unsophisticated colors look really adorable when they're on an actual Duffy.^^

• ~*Princess*~

To be honest, the pirate costume reminds me of a Blue version of the Halloween Pirate costume that had come out in...2007 I believe for Tokyo Disney Sea. I saw another picture on Ebay and the gold buttons look almost exact. I personally don't mind them not being real buttons as it's nice to just have a soft outfit.

I think the costumes are 18-20 now. Maybe 25 tops. I believe it's only 25-30 for the 12 inch Duffy that come with costumes on.

• Wag More, Bark Less!

It was actually in a store that I didn't expect. It's the little shop at the International Gateway going towards the resorts (Beach Club, Boardwalk). They didn't have a lot of them, just a few. I don't know if this is because they didn't get a lot in yet or if all those ebayers are buying like a thousand of them.

• Felice Natale!

Question Re: New Duffy Merchandise

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering View Post
    To be honest, the pirate costume reminds me of a Blue version of the Halloween Pirate costume that had come out in...2007 I believe for Tokyo Disney Sea. I saw another picture on Ebay and the gold buttons look almost exact. I personally don't mind them not being real buttons as it's nice to just have a soft outfit.

I think the costumes are 18-20 now. Maybe 25 tops. I believe it's only 25-30 for the 12 inch Duffy that come with costumes on.
    I guess you're talking about this one. I never noticed the stitched buttons. Still, while I suppose you could argue that these terrible buttons and that hexagonal sash buckle are similar, I think that's a pretty weak connection considering how very different all the other elements and the overall impression are. Plus, it includes pants and boots that are among the best of all the TDS footwear releases. Check the details at the Disney Bear Duffy blog. Is this what you're talking about?

Here's the TDS Pirate for comparison, clearly more inspired by Jack Sparrow than by the cartoony eyepatch pirates I grew up with - and FAR more complex, detailed and sophisticated than the US one, terrible buttons aside (although at least they look gold and not yellow, making it easier to sew on metal buttons, which it would be worth doing with such a generally well-constructed costume and which I would do immediately):

As for US pricing, I really only go by what people post here. I remembered there being a bit of discussion about a price hike around the time of the release of the Buzz Lightyear costume. I was thinking of DBEAR's post from March, although it was two weeks before the earthquake and now it feels like it's from an eternity ago:

Quote Originally Posted by DBEAR View Post
    The prices on some items did go up today at WDW. I'm sure Disneyland also raised prices since they use the same merchandising computer/pricing system. The outfits are now $18, except Buzz and Woody are now $20. The large Duffy went up $15, from $60 to $75. The 17 inch Duffy is now $30 instead of $25. The 12 inch dressed Duffys were marked $30 at 1 location out of 3 that I checked but still ring up at $25. I was told that they were suppose to go up to $30, so who knows what is happening with those. Didn't get to check the other items yet. I really don't see most tourists spending over $50 for a Duffy with an outfit. I have seen less than 10 people walking around with a Duffy since the relaunch and I go to the parks at least once a week. Less than 6 months and already price increases.
    I think I remembered the $30 from the bears. I think $15 should be the limit on this and most of the US costumes. $20 is reasonable, I guess, for Buzz and Woody...except that Build-A-Bear has sold both of these costumes for years - with shoes for Buzz and MUCH better details on Woody, including a stiff molded hat and a plastic pull ring that's actually sewn on with a string, as well as a MUCH better bandana and spurs - at a price point of just $16. What Disney makes isn't as high quality, so I think it should be less expensive, not more.

*The one good thing, though, is that the BAB "helmet" for Buzz doesn't fit Duffy right. In this, the US wins, but that's not a fair fight really since BAB wasn't designing for Duffy in the first place.

Oops! Looks like the photos got taken down. You can check out Duffy in the pirate costume in TheForbiddenEyes latest photo post HERE:

Quote Originally Posted by The Forbidden Eye View Post

By theforbiddeneye at 2011-05-15

By theforbiddeneye at 2011-05-15
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 05-15-2011 at 09:05 AM.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

The TDS costume is agreeably better, but the US one isn't that bad. Just needs pants and you can get a pair of black pants at BAB for $6 and you can get some black boots for $7. So yea that adds more to the overall cost (almost doubles it really), but you can use the pants & boots for other outfits, so it's a good investment overall.

• ~*Princess*~

Yes, that's the one I was talking about...which, like I said, I have and know the details off as my Duffy has been wearing it since I got it that year. It was one of the three costumes I got when I went to Tokyo Disney for the first time. I still think the buttons are nice though and that both are very similar in style.

Not to mention it's not essentially a bad thing there's no pants--it means you could try on other pairs, rather than the pants that are attached to the shirt in the Tokyo Disney Sea outfit.

I think the main thing with the US release is it looks more like a Pirate Captain than the TDS one does.

• Felice Natale!

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering View Post
    Yes, that's the one I was talking about...which, like I said, I have and know the details off as my Duffy has been wearing it since I got it that year. It was one of the three costumes I got when I went to Tokyo Disney for the first time. I still think the buttons are nice though and that both are very similar in style.

Not to mention it's not essentially a bad thing there's no pants--it means you could try on other pairs, rather than the pants that are attached to the shirt in the Tokyo Disney Sea outfit.

I think the main thing with the US release is it looks more like a Pirate Captain than the TDS one does.
    I didn't realize you had the costume; I thought you said you saw photos of it on eBay. I've only seen it in photos, so I never noticed the gold buttons. I also didn't know that the shirt and pants are one piece. I can't imagine TDS ever releasing a costume like that now.

I guess even the TDS quality standard has evolved over time, and I hope it will continue to do so. Perhaps in the US they are trying to slowly increase expectations, rather than knock our socks off right from the start. I don't see "very similar in style," but I guess you're right about the US one looking more like a captain, unless you're thinking of Captain Jack Sparrow, which the Japanese team clearly was. I wish I had the TDS release and the hat from the US; that would be the ultimate Duffy pirate! I mean, you'd have to do a little alteration to the hat to shape it more like Sparrow's, but the elements are all there. That would have been a smart re-release to go with the film here in Japan; TDS needs to release something new for Duffy so he can start making money for them...

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    The TDS costume is agreeably better, but the US one isn't that bad...
    I never said it was bad; I said I want to want it. It just is clearly not the best creativity, quality or value that the Walt Disney Company can offer. It is not their best artistic work and it is not representative of the ethos of the Disney legacy. In that sense, it is disappointing. What it says to me is that they don't love Duffy as much as I do and they're just pimping him out for money with no integrity or commitment. It also suggests that since this is "good enough" for the fans, there is still some level of the people in the company seeing the fans of the company as sheep to be easily herded. In this sense, it is distasteful. I want to look at Duffy releases and see a company of proud artists trying to impress me. I didn't see it with TDS releases last Halloween either, so I didn't buy anything.
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 05-15-2011 at 06:55 PM.

• ~*Princess*~

I meant I saw another photo of the US Pirate outfit on Ebay. ^^;

Quote Originally Posted by updebrooke View Post
    It was actually in a store that I didn't expect. It's the little shop at the International Gateway going towards the resorts (Beach Club, Boardwalk). They didn't have a lot of them, just a few. I don't know if this is because they didn't get a lot in yet or if all those ebayers are buying like a thousand of them.
    That is really odd because the computer system shows that WDW does not have these costumes yet. That store usually sells the sailor and baseball outfit but no other costumes, it is not listed as one of the stores that will carry those outfits either.

• Wag More, Bark Less!

I don't know! That is where I saw them unles I'm seeing things. Sometimes my mind plays tricks on me. I have seen things in that store where I haven't seen them in other places though.

• Adventures with Duffy

I'm shocked to hear DCA has something before WDW. that brings a huge smile to my face. WDC always for gets the park how started it all.

Anyhow, picked up the pirate costume yesterday, along with BaB black pants. He's so cute in this costume.

For those who might be looking for grey pants/shorts for the UnivBEARsity school uniform BaB on the Build a Dino section has grey cargo I think they are shorts. It comes in a set witha Dino tshirt. The Build a Dino section at DtD store is up stairs.

D
    uffeteer
    Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics

Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

Re: Christmas and Valentine Duffy on Sale!

FYI - The Character Premiere store at the Premium Outlet Stores - Vineland near DTD has the Christmas and Valetine Duffy bears on sale for $18.
    Mike L
    Premier Annual Passport
    D23 Charter Member

'09 - D23 Expo, Princess & the Frog preview, Magic & Merriment Weekend
    '10 - 1st Anniversary Party, Roy Disney Tribute, Pollyanna screening, Toy Story Marathon, Disney Archives 40th Anniversary, Dateline Disneyland 1955, Secretariat preview, Destination D, Zorro screening, Tangled preview
    '11 - Love is Magical, 2nd Anniversary Mixer, Absent Minded Professor screening, Destination D, Studio Tour, Sci-Fi Academy, D23 Expo (premier), Babes in Toyland screening, Magic & Merriment Weekend
    '12 - Newsies screening, Journey to Marceline tour, Sister Act screening, Brave preview, Brave artists meet/greet/screening, Treasures Exhibit - Reagan Library preview, Timothy Green premiere, Destination D (diamond), Treasure Island screening, Magic & Merriment Weekend
    '13 - El Capitan Peter Pan Panel & Screening, Disney Video Game Unveiling, Fanniversary, OZ preview, Son of Flubber screening, Summer Magic screening, Tiki Room 50th anniversary, D23 Expo (sorcerer), Sword in the Stone screening, Hocus Pocus screening, Frozen preview, 20,000 Leagues screening
    '14 - Pirate Fairy screening, Rebel Rendezvous, Three Musketeers screening, Mr. Toad screening, Snow White screening, Big Hero 6 preview, Little Mermaid screening, Destination D

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

^ I'll be at that outlet mall on Sunday. Maybe I'll pick up a Christmas one to give as a gift if they're still there.

• Banned User

Last edited by FI183; 05-25-2011 at 07:20 PM.