Page 20 of 136 FirstFirst ... 1017181920212223304570120 ... LastLast

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Re: New Duffy Merchandise

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    The hat on the sorcerer's costume lights up? OH AWESOME! THAT is going to be a lot of fun to have! I hope you can replace the batteries in it!
    That hat is the only thing that satisfies me here, and I'll probably still buy the Japanese UniBEARsity Fantasia costume for the shoes, pants, and robe made of higher quality material. The hat shape is also sturdier, but it doesn't light up.

I was genuinely excited about the Aviator, but those goggles look cheap. The cuffs and hem are a step up, but the collar fur looks like it won't age well. The "suede" and fake "pockets" just look cheap, too. I still would like to have the cap, though, just cos it will fit Duffy's head. I can't believe they cheaped out on the scarf; I mean, how much could it have cost them to include it? They should stop releasing concept art with details they don't include. In Tokyo, the "concept" art is a detailed storybook illustration with multiple poses and all kinds of merchandise. And everything - from the mugs to the straps to the snacks to the costumes - has all the detail, every time. This just bums me out. I wish they didn't get to have him if they weren't gonna love him. It's like watching him get ...taken advantage of.

The Chef is overly branded, Christmas uninspired, and the patch on the Mouseketeer ears already looks worn, even on the expo display. These "costumes" don't feel like outfits for a character; they make him look like branded swag you might get for free from a sales rep. Why not try caring, Disney?
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 08-20-2011 at 04:25 PM.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I can't begin to say how ugly I think the Christmas costume is. The Santa hat is cute, but the rest? Meh. Hopefully BAB will have some cute Christmas offerings this year. Otherwise I have a few other options for Christmas duds.

• Wag More, Bark Less!

The only thing I don't like about the Chef Bear is the date. I hate when they have dates on things. I also wish they didn't have Disneyland and WDW on the Mickey Mouse Club outfit. It was cutier without that.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Thanks for the pictures of the upcoming costumes.

The aviator is not as nice as I had hoped, but I will probably still get it, if for the jacket alone. The goggles look bad. They should have made molded plastic ones or something.

The MMC costume...eh, I already have the Build-a-Bear ones, so I don't need it. Plus, the BAB ear hats are exactly like the "real" ones. This one looks like it's all felt.

Disappointed that the Food & Wine is a predressed bear, but he still looks very cute.

The Christmas costume just looks weird. From what I can tell, it's actually the pants & hat from last year's "Hello from Cape Cod" costume that was released both at TDS and HKDL. The only thing is the white fur vest is missing, and they've added a very tacky t-shirt instead. It just looks...odd.

The sorcerer costume looks the best, and the light-up hat is a nice treat. Too bad there aren't any shoes, but overall, that one is my favorite.

I just wish, like DuffyD said, that Disney put as much care and thought into Duffy as they do in Japan. It's sad to see him treated like any old Disney merchandise, and they don't try nearly as hard as the OLC team. I mean look at this year's Halloween offerings from Tokyo, and compare them to any one of the US Duffy costumes...no comparison!

• ~*Princess*~

It's also their first Halloween costume though. I mean, the second Halloween costume in Japan was just a hat, shirt, and necklace. And what about the first Christmas costume? Just a hat and scarf :P

Of course there's going to be more stuff considering how long Duffy has been around in Japan.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering View Post
    It's also their first Halloween costume though. I mean, the second Halloween costume in Japan was just a hat, shirt, and necklace. And what about the first Christmas costume? Just a hat and scarf :P

Of course there's going to be more stuff considering how long Duffy has been around in Japan.
    I couldn't understand why you were comparing the first US costume to the second Tokyo costume until I checked it out. I guess it's because the first Tokyo Halloween costume, released in 2007 was almost as awesome as this year's costumes:

Of course, that wouldn't have made your point very well. So then I looked up the one from 2008 and again, if you can't see the difference in the quality of materials and construction (plus the fact that it's a full-sized costume), then I'm really sad for Duffy's growing fanbase:

Now, I suppose one could argue that OLC had three years to come up with these, but they didn't really get serious about releasing costumes until TDS's 5th anniversary in 2006, so...that doesn't really hold up. The first two years were just kinda "testing" the Disney Bear concept in Japan. The Walt Disney Company doesn't have the same excuse. Not only did they already launch the product before (although, admittedly, not as Duffy and not really as a character), but now they have at least five years of incredibly successful marketing experience to examine, learn from and be inspired by. They are not starting from scratch and they are not a little licensee company. If they had really cared to, they could have orchestrated a launch that blew us away. They didn't, and I see no reason to defend them, much less congratulate and kowtow to them, for that. I don't appreciate what they're doing, not just because it could be better, but mostly because it speaks to the evil merchandising that the Walt Disney Company embodies, and a MAJOR part of my love for Duffy was that the effort it takes to produce the quality we see in Tokyo means that when you purchase things here you are actually supporting someone's art, that they care about, that they worked hard on and want you to love. If you see that in the US releases, good for you...but bad for Duffy.

Almost forgot, here's the very first "real" TDS Christmas costume, from 2006. It looks a lot like Candlelight Reflections:

All images courtesy the fantastic Disney Bear Duffy fansite.

• ~*Princess*~

Well, besides that Gurgi had compared it to the most recent :P I picked the other for one similar to it for a better comparison (Shirt + hat to another shirt + hat). Though, regardless, if you want to go by the first, it's still just a costume and Disney has been making them for the 12 inch--not the 17 inch, so it's hard to do a full comparsion anyway.

I already have stated what I think on quality and how that's not a basis considering the price differences and the fact that the US ones come with the bear.

They didn't do a whole costume series--while there were some holiday ones, they were more accessories (Special held item or special hat) rather than an actual costume or themed for where they were sold. It wasn't what they were planning to do so it's understandable they didn't think it through.

Considering they have never done something like this for a teddy bear, it is in a way, starting from scratch. The costume they made is not unusual to other costumes that plushies in the US would have, to be honest. They made the costume match the image that was shown at the passholders event. I'm not sure why you were expecting more.

Just because the quality isn't amazing doesn't mean the amount of effort put in was less :/
    Last edited by Wondering; 08-22-2011 at 12:47 PM.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Yeah, I compared last year's Christmas costume to this year's. It looks the same, except the shirt. Check it out.

TDS "Hello From Cape Cod" Christmas set:
    Name:  Duffy+-+Hello+from+Cape+Cod+-+Xmas+2010+costume+02.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  32.4 KB
    Name:  Duffy+-+Hello+from+Cape+Cod+-+Xmas+2010+costume+01.jpg
Size:  11.4 KB

Compared to the picture that Ursulalvr took from the D23 Expo:
    New Duffy Merchandise

I
    couldn't get the picture to work...

Oh, and sometimes, even if a costume at TDS seems like it doesn't have many parts to it, usually there are multiple releases to kind of make up for that. For example, the Halloween costumes from 2008. There were actually two.

Halloween Sailor:
    Name:  duffy023.jpg
Size:  89.3 KB

And, Pumpkin:
    Name:  duffy024.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  89.1 KB

Like I said in one of my posts, Duffy started out slowly at TDS, so those early costumes were very basic. Also, the quality has improved. The very early costumes might have consisted of a scarf and hat...that's it.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    ...Like I said in one of my posts, Duffy started out slowly at TDS, so those early costumes were very basic. Also, the quality has improved. The very early costumes might have consisted of a scarf and hat...that's it.
    Those Christmas bears with the scarf and hat were never sold as separate costumes, but as special edition bears, and from at least as early as 2006, the Christmas version was the one time every year that you could get the open-mouthed "smiling" Duffy. They shocked us all by discontinuing this tradition last year. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens this season. Anyway, this very rare Duffy with the scarf and hat only cost an extra ¥500 or something. That Christmas version was never meant to be considered in the same league with other costumes, and the special sculpting really is a big deal. Also, it really gave a special Christmas feeling, knowing that you could only buy them in the Christmas season every year.

• Become part of MY world!

I still see no reason for Disney not to release less than exceptional costumes for Duffy. I mean, I even remember reading a Disney Blog article about Duffy where the artist said they got inspiration from TDS's releases. Obviously, someone higher up decided to cut the costs. I do see the artist trying to make an effort, however small, but Disney execs love cutting costs and making things on the cheap. It's the whole reason I am very anti Disney Consumer Products. All products from Disney are cheaply made with no consideration to the guests beyond "make it sell!". It really is sad that Disney has gone down this route, but that is why I appreciate Tokyo actually making an effort to please the guest. Idk if it's a cultural difference, but if an outside company can do a much higher quality product for a company they're licensing from, than that is pretty sad, and pathetic. Disney needs to learn their lesson before Duffy fans start to see him as nothing more than $$.
    Poor unfortunate Souls.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    Those Christmas bears with the scarf and hat were never sold as separate costumes, but as special edition bears, and from at least as early as 2006, the Christmas version was the one time every year that you could get the open-mouthed "smiling" Duffy. They shocked us all by discontinuing this tradition last year. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens this season. Anyway, this very rare Duffy with the scarf and hat only cost an extra ¥500 or something. That Christmas version was never meant to be considered in the same league with other costumes, and the special sculpting really is a big deal. Also, it really gave a special Christmas feeling, knowing that you could only buy them in the Christmas season every year.
    Oh, I didn't mean the special smiling Christmas bears. I was thinking more of the winter scarf and hat sets they started with in 2007.

Like this one:
    Name:  duffy012.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  87.5 KB

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    …I was thinking more of the winter scarf and hat sets they started with in 2007…
    I promise I wasn't trying to "correct" you or something; I had totally forgotten that one!^^

• Munchings & Crunchings

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    I promise I wasn't trying to "correct" you or something; I had totally forgotten that one!^^
    Oh, I didn't think you were correcting me at all, I just thought I probably was too vague.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Nope, I was just too forgetful. I totally remember that one now, cos the Sweet Duffy Paddington Coat Set is kind of a combination of it and a re-interpretation of the old Peacoat.

For those interested...BAB is releasing Snoopy (to stuff) on Sept.16 and there is an aviator outfit coming with him too! Not sure which will be better BUT I believe it has a red scarf and goggles.

I love the sorcerer outfit hoping its out in the next 2 weeks or so, since i will be in WDW on Sept.17 for a week. I would probably pick up the christmas if it was there as well. I will compare aviator outfits if available to the BAB one and buy the nicer one (to me).

I love the food and wine Duffy, guess i'll be ebay shopping that or hoping WDW merch services will be selling it through mail order.