• Wag More, Bark Less!

Re: New Duffy Merchandise

Well, that is so wrong!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I hate deceptive people like that!

Well, no matter what, l think that costume is very cute. It would match my Santa Duffy very much. But I don't have enough money in my piggy bank.

Hey guys, I thought you might be interested in hearing some insight on the quality of the US costumes straight from Monty Maldovan himself (via a comment he made in response to a comment I made on a mutual friend's Fabcebook feed):

Thanks Amy, we have been working on the quality of the U.S. Costumes. Not sure we will ever reach the quality of the Japan costumes but I'm trying. We have a lot more saftey restrictions on our plush than they do in Japan. Plus we don't "age grade" our plush. What this means is that when ever I'm designing plush, I have to keep in mind that the plush could be purchased for an infant and placed in a crib. That means, no real buttons, or small parts that could be swallowed. Plus, this also restricts certain types of "rich" looking fabrics. It's tough. Many times, what I design rarely comes out the way i had invistioned because of all the rules and restrictions I have to abide by. But sometimes, in the case of the Sorcerer costume, (thanks for the love) it does work out the way I want. Thanks for all your support on the U.S. Duffy. We have some fun stuff coming up that I think you'll love.
    So there you have it... they don't add real buttons or stuff like that here because of the choking hazard (because overall, the human race is, well, stupid. Yes I said it, sue me. ). But I did respond to him mentioning how some clothing items from Build A Bear have real buttons and small stuff that could be a "choking hazard". Will let you guys know how/if he responds as I'm curious myself. But overall, I think that this proves Monty does "get it" when it comes to Duffy, it's just the suits and the legal stuff that prevents his designs from coming out the way he would really like them to. But it does sound like they're trying to move in the right direction with better quality costumes, despite the limitations.

• Future Indy Castmember

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Hey guys, I thought you might be interested in hearing some insight on the quality of the US costumes straight from Monty Maldovan himself (via a comment he made in response to a comment I made on a mutual friend's Fabcebook feed):

So there you have it... they don't add real buttons or stuff like that here because of the choking hazard (because overall, the human race is, well, stupid. Yes I said it, sue me. ). But I did respond to him mentioning how some clothing items from Build A Bear have real buttons and small stuff that could be a "choking hazard". Will let you guys know how/if he responds as I'm curious myself. But overall, I think that this proves Monty does "get it" when it comes to Duffy, it's just the suits and the legal stuff that prevents his designs from coming out the way he would really like them to. But it does sound like they're trying to move in the right direction with better quality costumes, despite the limitations.
    Thanks for the info. Yeah, I can imagine it being a tough job to make all of these outfits while keeping to what limitations and saftey things to adhere to. The recent costume releases for the US Duffy is getting to better quality (the aviator outfit and the sorcerors is a good start) and I have no doubt that they will be better soon.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

I was very happy to hear an explanation, though it kind of begs the question, "Why not 'age-grade?'"

Probably because Americans are so sue happy.

Yeah. I guess it's like if they wanna market to kids at all, they feel they have to be safe for toddlers. That thinking unfortunately also means Duffy will primarily be marketed toward toddlers and young children. It's disappointing to me, but I guess there's an approach to accept that it can't be helped.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    Yeah. I guess it's like if they wanna market to kids at all, they feel they have to be safe for toddlers. That thinking unfortunately also means Duffy will primarily be marketed toward toddlers and young children. It's disappointing to me, but I guess there's an approach to accept that it can't be helped.
    I think it's also just "Disney" as a whole, and not just limited to Duffy. I know ALL Disney plush is treated this way, and that's why you now see embroidered "buttons" on all plush, and no real small pieces that can be swallowed. Although, I do know there are exceptions. Maybe they've gotten in trouble with some of the previous ones. Like the plush that used to have metal "coins" sewn onto the feet with special event, or year logos on them. Now they don't do that, they just have an embroidered patch instead.

I'm not sure why they can't age-grade the plush, but maybe it's for ease of use? I mean, most stores are going to put all of the plush together, so it's just "easier" to treat them all the same way.

With Duffy though...he does still have plastic eyes, and nose...so...yeah.

It is nice to have an explanation from Monty, and the fact that he says he's trying to push for better quality. Hopefully he can finally find a way to do it. I would love to see things that are at least up to Build-a-Bear standards. I agree with him that the Japanese standards are probably never going to happen in this country, because of all of the regulations. Still, There could be compromises. He just has to learn to work within the limitations. Also, don't do desings that will not look good with cheaper and safer alternatives. Like the Aviator goggles. Those just weren't executed well because of the "no small parts" thing. So, maybe just make the jacket? I don't know, but hopefully more interesting designs will appear later.

• Wag More, Bark Less!

I can see why Disney is afraid of lawsuits. They are a HUGE target. People are stupid though and they will still give their child things they should not have. If you read the tags on Build A Bear it says remove all clothes, ribbons, tags, etc before giving toy to a child under 3. Still, I see a baby with a build a bear that has all kinds of gadgets on it.

---------- Post added 11-28-2011 at 07:20 AM ----------

I thought that as long as there is a warning tag on the item then they don't have to worry about any lawsuits. Remember the lady at McDonalds who spilled the hot coffee and now they put CAUTION: HOT on the lid because of her?

• I love that tiny bear!

I'm not shocked at the plush thing. There's also a recent thing called CPSIA that means that all children's toys/etc. containing anything that could possibly contain lead be subjected to destructive testing for each batch, at a cost that can easily be several hundred dollars. Granted, when you spread that cost out over a thousand outfits, that cost is pretty minor, but it's still something I'm sure they consider…especially if they don't make all the outfits in just one "batch."

BTW, I read yesterday that the Tokyo Disneyland railroad doesn't make a round trip, because if it did it would be considered transportation and subject to Japan's stringent transportation regulations. (Duffy Daisuki or anyone else, do you know if that's true? It was in the Disney Gallery at Disneyland.) So every country has their quirks that need to be dealt with.

Disney has hundreds, if not thousands, of lawsuits thrown at them in any given year, because as it's been said, people (especially Americans) are stupid and sue-happy. They'll sue if they trip and stub their toe if it was on Disney property even if was their own dumb fault they weren't paying attention where they were walking. So the legal department has to find ways to dumb everything down, which honestly benefits NO ONE. Even with warning tags, people still will choose to ignore them and do as they please because they think the rules don't apply to them.

What we as fans can do though, is if we like how a design turns out, we can take that design and improve it on our own so it looks how we'd like. Like sewing a real button on where one is embroidered or adding other pieces to "plus" a costume for our own personal enjoyment. I do that by adding things from Build A Bear (mostly... PANTS).

I too hope they can at least achieve BAB quality and I think in the end it could be possible if Monty and his team stick to their guns and come up with some designs that will please both the fans and the legal suits. I did tell him I'm looking forward to that Mouseketeer costume coming early next year (it looks like it's improved a LOT since the initial prototype was shown at the D23 Expo) and I know they've hinted at a Star Wars themed costume (probably a Jedi... too bad BAB already beat them in that department). I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with next year. If I like how a design turns out, I'll buy it. If I don't, then it stays on the rack. Simple as that and a good way to let them know what we like and what we don't like.

The fact that Monty Maldolvan is even willing to engage in this conversation encourages me to respect him more than I have. I still don't like the way he said the US Halloween release was "inspired by" Tokyo; it's a copy, just with those "safety" limitations. But, honestly, jaded as I am about US Disney, I'm inclined to give this guy the benefit of the doubt. At least he didn't say he was only "inspired by the hang tags," like the…ahem…"author" of the US storybook, Jessie Ward. That was certainly worse.

He didn't mention that the Tokyo Disney Resort Halloween Pumpkin costume was designed by artists at the Oriental Land Company. He hasn't made any reference that I can find to the fact that many of his "original" compositions and details for the US storybook are directly lifted from the original Tokyo version. However, at least in the first instance, he did at least bother to mention Tokyo (although, as always, it would still sound to anyone but the most die-hard TDR fan as if Tokyo Duffy had always been a Disney pilot project rather than OLC's creative endeavor.) And for the storybook, one could choose to believe that where it's nearly identical to the original, Monty is attempting homage.

One still comes up against the fact that he had a big signing event for his work, featuring the debut of a T-shirt that was his "original" design using the face of Duffy that was created by an unnamed, uncredited Japanese artist. The issue of representation and honor is still a major block for me with Mr Maldovan, as Disney has positioned him to be the face that I blame for the Company's irresponsible, negligent and arrogant missteps with the character I hold so dear. I'm yet to be convinced that Maldovan is a true-hearted artist of remotely the same caliber, vision and integrity as his unknown, unsung, uncelebrated counterparts in Japan who still now invest far more of their talent and love into Duffy for absolutely no personal recognition.

I'm still extremely uncomfortable with what appears to be Disney's attempt to position this man as the "father" of Duffy, and I sincerely hope that the fandom does not allow Disney to rewrite history, further elevating Monty Maldovan while downplaying Duffy's authentic Japanese origin. Despite all my concerns, though, the fact that Mr Maldovan seems truly interested in communicating with fans makes me heart-lighteningly happy and carefully optimistic about his genuine sincerity and — perhaps — artistic integrity. He just might feel the Dufflove after all. He could — perhaps — be the real deal.^^
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 11-28-2011 at 03:58 PM.

• Munchings & Crunchings

This morning, while I was walking from the bus station to work, I saw a delivery truck with a slogan on the side that made me actually write it down to remember for later. The truck belonged to a design studio, and had a quote on the side. It said "The details are not the details. They make the design." That quote was from designer/architect Charles Eames. I just thought it was so appropriate when applied to Duffy...well, applied to anything, really. This is why I think Duffy is such a success in Japan, it's not just the details they have, but those details actually make the design, and the character.

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    "The details are not the details. They make the design." That quote was from designer/architect Charles Eames. I just thought it was so appropriate when applied to Duffy...well, applied to anything, really. This is why I think Duffy is such a success in Japan, it's not just the details they have, but those details actually make the design, and the character.
    I whole-heartedly agree!

And thank you aimster for posting the comment from Monty Maldovan. I am cautiously optimistic and looking forward to the costumes coming out in 2012.