Page 30 of 132 FirstFirst ... 52027282930313233405580130 ... LastLast

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: New Duffy Merchandise

That looks like a 17" Duffy in the photo to me, but I could be wrong. If it's another 12" pre-dressed bear I will NOT be purchasing.

• Future Indy Castmember

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    That looks like a 17" Duffy in the photo to me, but I could be wrong. If it's another 12" pre-dressed bear I will NOT be purchasing.
    I saved the photo and zoomed in. That is no question a 17" Duffy. If it was a predressed, 12" Duffy it would've been smaller.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

• I love that tiny bear!

I like the outfit from the tiny preview. Obviously it's not super-detailed or perfect, but I like the concept of a merchandise event based on one concept...it reminds me a tiny bit of TDS in that regard. And I think the hat is something different we've seen since maybe even the first wave--it's an outfit with no link to an existing franchise like Pixar films, pirates, etc. but linked to a specific place or concept (DCA/Route 66/travel). I personally don't mind Duffy being pantsless but I think that's probably because I'm partial to my adorable exhibitionist tiny bear.

Too bad the merchandise overall isn't as cute as the concept art.

Thanks for the link, Forbidden Eye!

Is this the Valentine's Duffy from last year?

''Be My Valentine'' Duffy the Disney Bear Plush Toy -- 12'' H | Plush | Disney Store

That is...er...not my favorite look for him... Actually, I find the Duffy in satin boxers look somewhat disturbing.

it's this time limited merch?

I really like the retro hat, now I have images in my mind of Duffy and Shellie in outfits of the Micke's shorth the niftynineties.

Quote Originally Posted by Eeee-va View Post
    Yes that's the exact same 12" Valentine Duffy as last year. My mom carefully clipped the costume off hers and dresses the bear in BAB stuff the rest of the year, but will put him back in his cupid outfit next month.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire-Light View Post
    But actually what is bugging me the most is a typo in "Los Feliz Five & Dime"

If they are using "feliz" it's singular, example "ella es feliz" (she's happy) , but when it's plural it should be "felices" example "los niños son felices" (the children are happy)

So it the case above it should be "los felices five & dime", since they are talking about plural, since "los" means "the" in plural.
    *facepalm* Surely they could have asked a Spanish speaker to proof-read that...

Quote Originally Posted by madoka View Post
    *facepalm* Surely they could have asked a Spanish speaker to proof-read that...
    True, it's strange mostly when there's many spanish speakers in cali, but it appears they just used babel fish :/

At my last job, we translated pretty much all our workshop presentations and brochures into Spanish and the translations were checked very carefully by one of our bilingual employees to make sure everything was translated correctly. There are several dialects of Spanish, so the way for ALL Spanish speakers to understand was to do it in the simplest form of the language, which was tougher than you'd think.

• Minion

I don't know about that Duffy...I have a sneaking suspicion that he's a 12", but I hope I'm wrong.

Los Feliz is the name of a fancy neighborhood in Hollywood, and Wikipedia has this to say which would explain why the shop has that name:

Mickey Mouse was "born" in Los Feliz—Walt Disney drew his first image of the now-legendary character in the garage of his uncle's house which was located on Kingswell Avenue between Vermont and Rodney. Disney's first animation studio was on Kingswell Avenue, just down the street from his uncle's house and east of Vermont (now a photocopy store). The second, larger studio (now a Gelson's supermarket) was located at the corner of Griffith Park Blvd and Hyperion Avenue, on the Silver Lake side of the Los Feliz-Silver Lake boundary.

At my last job, we translated pretty much all our workshop presentations and brochures into Spanish and the translations were checked very carefully by one of our bilingual employees to make sure everything was translated correctly. There are several dialects of Spanish, so the way for ALL Spanish speakers to understand was to do it in the simplest form of the language, which was tougher than you'd think.

True, spanish it's complicated, it's almost like french were many words have different meanings depending in the situation.
    --------------------------------------

I wish they could have made a bit of effort on this event thing that was lazy , finishing something plural wit a z it's a mistake,

Spanish words that end in z

Spanish words that end in the letter z have a different way to make a plural -- just drop the letter Z and add ces. Here are some examples:

Singular Plural English
    una vez dos veces one time
    una luz dos luces light
    source Instruction on How To Make a Noun Into A Plural in Spanish

---------- Post added 01-12-2012 at 09:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Diznygrl View Post
    I don't know about that Duffy...I have a sneaking suspicion that he's a 12", but I hope I'm wrong.

Los Feliz is the name of a fancy neighborhood in Hollywood, and Wikipedia has this to say which would explain why the shop has that name:

Mickey Mouse was "born" in Los Feliz—Walt Disney drew his first image of the now-legendary character in the garage of his uncle's house which was located on Kingswell Avenue between Vermont and Rodney. Disney's first animation studio was on Kingswell Avenue, just down the street from his uncle's house and east of Vermont (now a photocopy store). The second, larger studio (now a Gelson's supermarket) was located at the corner of Griffith Park Blvd and Hyperion Avenue, on the Silver Lake side of the Los Feliz-Silver Lake boundary.
    Neat! thanks for the info first time I see that.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Quote Originally Posted by Eeee-va View Post
    ....Obviously it's not super-detailed or perfect, but I like the concept of a merchandise event based on one concept...it reminds me a tiny bit of TDS in that regard. And I think the hat is something different we've seen since maybe even the first wave--it's an outfit with no link to an existing franchise like Pixar films, pirates, etc. but linked to a specific place or concept (DCA/Route 66/travel)...Too bad the merchandise overall isn't as cute as the concept art...
    I like the unified merchandise concept, and I agree that it's cool to see a concept not tied to a franchise, except that this is obviously tied to Pixar's Cars (the only Pixar project I can't stand) and the opening of Cars Land this summer, so I think it is actually linked to a film, but at least it's based in the park event and the Cars characters are not mixed in with the concept art. I don't really think this is anything like TDS, though, because here Duffy's events are completely centered on Duffy and Cape Cod, running alongside yet independent from park events. Here, Duffy looks like an add-on to the park event instead, like just one part of a larger merchandise push, which I think is pretty clearly how Disney Parks sees him.And I couldn't agree more about being obviously lacking in detail or approaching perfection. It's become the standard for US Duffy to have a seamless pattern slapped onto a generic "armholes and neckhole" design, now throwing on a zipper cos they already had that hoodie.* It makes for a "more interesting" look than just a plain solid color, without requiriing accent details like buttons or pockets. And since the "pattern" is a seamless mess, it doesn't matter where the hems/seams are or how it's cut. Even in the design process, you just click "fill with pattern" once and ta-da, you got it!^^

*I thought the red was a zipper, but I see now that it's a red T-shirt under a buttonless(?) open-front shortsleeve shirt with a decent pointed collar. I still scorn the click-n-fill and I certainly wouldn't buy it, but it's significantly less horrible than I thought, and more in tune with its design era than I understood at first glance.^^

Above images from Duffy's Facebook Wall. SHOCKING! This one's not even anti-aliased...You'd think they'd have the original artwork and wouldn't need to cut and paste it anyway...Above image from Disney Parks Blog
    Especially if it was just gonna be another top, I would have liked to see something like this:
    It would especially impress me if Duffy's name was actually embroidered on the left breast and a multicolor design (or even cheap out and do only the "Route 66" with Mickey marks - even as a patch) was embroidered on the back. The very coolest thing would be if they set it up like Mouse ears and would do the custom embroidery for you, or even let you mix-n-match sleeves and shirtfronts and the patch on the back, coming back to pick up your custom item later. That would have blown me away, because it would show they were actually trying to impress me.^^ The fact that there is nothing "Route 66" in the design of the outfit, just a repeated road sign mish-mash scattered over a totally generic shape with a zipper is seriously disappointing when I think about how both a) cheap and b) easy it would have been to make a fashionable retro shirt like this with just a couple details like Duffy's name (even printed) and the back detail (even printed). You'd just have to want to. The idea is obvious if you think of Duffy as a fashionable character and not just a piece of merch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire-Light View Post
    it's this time limited merch?I really like the retro hat, now I have images in my mind of Duffy and Shellie in outfits of the Micke's shorth the niftynineties.
    Looks an awful lot like Duffy's Spring Voyage hat to me, the shape anyway. Only the Tokyo one won't have a big park logo splashed across the front of it and will most likely be constructed from better materials.
    Yes that's the exact same 12" Valentine Duffy as last year. My mom carefully clipped the costume off hers and dresses the bear in BAB stuff the rest of the year, but will put him back in his cupid outfit next month.
    I didn't know BAB could fit the 12" bears!
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 01-13-2012 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Hey...that ain't no zipper!^^

• Wag More, Bark Less!

I was at Epcot today and look what I found:

• I love that tiny bear!

Most of DCA (including Los Feliz Five and Dime) is going to be themed to the 1920s and 1930s, which seems more appropriate for Mickey's ensemble to me, and there were Route 66 references in different areas of DCA prior to (the unfortunately-named) Cars Land. I don't recall if those references are staying or have been removed; I would guess the latter.

The poster art shows several attractions from Paradise Pier, plus Soarin' and Grizzly River Rapids. So I don't consider this event JUST Cars Land. Now, granted, many of the rides shown are character tie-ins of some sort, but I'm OK with that. The event itself appears to be a celebration of the redesigned DCA--Cars Land is a big part of that but it's definitely not the ONLY part. (Nor the part I'm most excited about...though I think Paradise Pier is still the best land, and that's already done. )

Anyway, so in a sense (again, minus the truly excellent planning and merchandise of TDS) it's more like the "Be Magical" anniversary event than a "Sweet Duffy" event. (Though no, it's not much like either of those events.)

It sounds like Los Feliz is referring to the city, so the grammatical error is in the (existing) city name, not the store. Which is probably historically accurate for the 1920s-1930s as well.

Updebrooke, is that a new Duffy? Hate to see more of the 12" Duffies, but a Duffy actually dressed like Mickey would be cute. Don't see it coming, of course, but just saying.

• Wag More, Bark Less!

It's another 12" Duffy dressed as a Disney Tourist. He's kind of cute though.

Can you imagine if they did make this in the 17" size? What would they do in Tokyo if you had Duffy dressed like that? Probably point, smile and say "kawaii".

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011