Page 36 of 131 FirstFirst ... 112633343536373839466186 ... LastLast

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: New Duffy Merchandise

Well, I just found out the DLP 20th Anniversary Duffy has sold out at every store that was carrying him. I'm really hoping they weren't all bought up by resellers. Disappointed I wasn't able to get one (my CM friend didn't have a chance to try to get one for me until now), but oh well. And apparently they don't know if they'll be getting more in as most of the special DLP 20th merch has been limited edition.

• I love that tiny bear!

That's too bad about the 20th Anniversary Duffy in DLP, Aimster. I wish they would have made as many of that one as they did the 2011 bears in the US. (Not only is he STILL $9.99 on the Disney store website, but there's currently a code (PARKSFORTY) that lets you get him for an additional 40% off...that makes him $6!). Seems like they are trying to clear him out before July. If they keep practically giving him away, they might manage. I'm tempted to buy some to give to Toys for Tots, but I should probably stop my Duffy hoarding.

Speaking of which, they had free shipping last weekend, I think it was, so I ordered ANOTHER 2011 Duffy (to surprise a certain someone in my family, sssssh...I will make him clothes, though). And also a couple magnet Duffies (ever since I saw those subpar ones at Disney California Adventure and Downtown Disney, I've been stockpiling a bit, as I think they make great little gifts).

I THINK the magnet bears are fine (did not take them out of the plastic since I already have 2 out and open). The face on one looks a little off-center but nothing catastrophic. The one I tested seems to be able to precariously sit, which means if he were freed from his plastic prison he'd probably be fine.

What I DID notice is that the $8.00 price tag on each of them was ripped off. It's just a little perforated tag, so you can remove it before gift giving.

Sure enough; the price for the magnet bears (and also the keychain bear) at Disneystore.com is now $8.95! I paid $8 sometime last week so evidently I got in just under the wire. Hopefully that means we'll get (or possibly keep) TDS quality. (I'm not certain all of the magnet bears here have been, but maybe the ones I saw in November were just a bit "off".)

Unfortunately, it seems like it'd be an OK opportunity for Disney to get a new manufacturer of the magnet bears, too, if they haven't already, since they need to have new price tags printed and put on.

Anyway, I still have 4 giftable magnet bears over here and I don't have that many friends, so I'll probably be OK for a while.

The wristbag is $16.95 now--I don't recall if that is a price increase or not.

Summer 2012, Duffy is coming out as a Vinylmation! I think these Vinylmations are adorable.

Duffy the Disney Bear Explained

Name:  duffy vinylmation regular 01.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  24.8 KB

"Sailor Duffy

Disney changes the mold for this lovable bear. The large rounded body and arms and legs sticking out putting Duffy in a sitting pose make for the perfect look that makes it distinctly different from the Mickey mold. It’s an inviting pose that will attract both the Duffy lover and casual guest. The Mickey paw prints are also well shown off in this pose. A good looking hat as well as some “indentations’ in the face for the eyes, nose and mouth."

Name:  duffy vinylmation flocked 01.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  21.3 KB
    "Flocked DuffyThis version has a peach fuzz like feel to it."

I remember them telling us at the Pass Holder event that there would be some fuzzy Duffy pins. I don't remember the fuzzy Vinylmation - he's cute!

• Become part of MY world!

eh, it's..... ok (?) it looks like a weird baby/alien Duffy, but not really my cup of tea.

---------- Post added 05-02-2012 at 11:03 PM ----------

I also have a feeling that Disney will take the Lazy route with these. They'll make great original designs, but for the Vinylmations, not the actual bear. Which is just a cheap way(in my eyes) of being creative with Duffy.
    Poor unfortunate Souls.

• I love that tiny bear!

The mouths are all wrong. I thought the problem was the flatness of the face, but no, I think it's just the ridiculous goofy grin, almost straight from those horrible Disney Bear drawings of old.

Details on Duffy the Disney Bear T-Shirt for October 14 at Disney California Adventure Park Disney Parks Blog

The open mouth helps somewhat, but the smile is ridiculously wide and it would be MUCH cuter without the lines at the corners of the mouth.

I think the proportions of the Mickey face are off too, though Vinylmation is traditionally stylized, so I'm OK with that. I think the nose is too big too, though that could be the "style." Just...why did they have to add extra lines to his smile? UGH.

I think it would've been bordering on quite cute with the removal of just a couple lines and a smaller nose. As is, I can't get that cheap Disney Bear drawing out of my head.

You can see in the (ADORABLE) box that they have CORRECT adorable smiling Duffy pictures (though I wouldn't be surprised if that picture was partly copied from TDS's art; it looks so familiar, though I see in another angle, I think he's winking.

Duffy Vinyl Series Sneak Preview! | VinylNation.net – The Original Vinylmation Resource!

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Talking Re: New Duffy Merchandise

Quote Originally Posted by Sandrita View Post
    Summer 2012, Duffy is coming out as a Vinylmation! I think these Vinylmations are adorable...

I remember them telling us at the Pass Holder event that there would be some fuzzy Duffy pins. I don't remember the fuzzy Vinylmation - he's cute!
    Thanks for the details and photos, Sandrita. These are MUCH better than I thought they'd be. I expected the arm/leg/head/pose style to be just the same as Mickey's; they really changed up this mold, and as a stylized blank slate for artists to reinterpret Duffy, I could not be more pleased. I only hope that the Duffy Face/Mickey mark on his back hip is actually molded raised, like the feet. As long as that mark is molded, too, I think they totally freaking nailed this to the wall!

Quote Originally Posted by Ursulalvr View Post
    eh, it's..... ok (?) it looks like a weird baby/alien Duffy, but not really my cup of tea.

---------- Post added 05-02-2012 at 11:03 PM ----------

I also have a feeling that Disney will take the Lazy route with these. They'll make great original designs, but for the Vinylmations, not the actual bear. Which is just a cheap way(in my eyes) of being creative with Duffy.
    The vinyl world is highly stylized, and it's understandable that it won't be to every taste, but for making Duffy merge with that world, this really is a great mold. I hope the feet rotate and the arms and head are posable. I hope they don't just do these designs in-house, but have guest artists from the vinyl toy world like David Horvath, Tara McPherson and Simone Legno (tokidoki) playing with these little guys. Heck, let's have Murakami Takashi, Marc Jacobs and BEAMS versions, too!^^ I can't wait to get my hands on a "blank" of one of these; the mold is dramatically more in tune with the actual curves, lines and aesthetic of the designer vinyl world than the Mickey version. The mold is fantastic!

Honestly, I see these making Duffy a lot more popular, likely eclipsing the plush in the US. Also, I think sophisticated vinyl artists will be far more drawn to this "canvas," potentially giving Vinylmation some real street cred, which it has always seemed desperate for. The Mickey Vinylmation never reminded me of Kid Robot, Rolitoboy or Tokyo Plastic; the Duffy mold reminds me of all of the above. Honestly, I've already given up on the US plush and costumes...they just don't get it. This format has real potential, and they got the foundation as "just right" as Baby Bear's porridge. Hopefully they won't blow it!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeee-va View Post
    The mouths are all wrong. I thought the problem was the flatness of the face, but no, I think it's just the ridiculous goofy grin, almost straight from those horrible Disney Bear drawings of old...

Just...why did they have to add extra lines to his smile? UGH...
    I agree with you wholeheartedly, Eeee-va. Hopefully somebody who cares enough and has the power to do something about it will see your post and change that before it goes into final production. And, y'know, with the inevitable blanks that will be released, you can always paint one yourself!^^

• Munchings & Crunchings

I agree about the mouth lines, and the face. But, like DuffyD said, if they have a blank, we can make the one we really want. I would be open to trying that. Also, I am curious to see what they let artists do with them.

• Adventures with Duffy

Im glad for Duffy that he is gaining in popularity to become a Vinylmation. Im not a fan of Vinylmations, I did think i would pick up a Duffy one, but Im not a fan. I hope for those who like Vinylmations like Duffy and he does well.

D
    uffeteer
    Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics

Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

I am happy with the design. I am glad that Disney gave Duffy his own mold and didnt try to put him on the Mickey mold. I cannot wait to see them in person. I always find that with Duffy merchandise the pictures never truely do him justice.

http://smallcrazyworldafterall.blogspot.com/

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics

• Become part of MY world!

New Duffy the Disney Bear Items Celebrate Moms and More at Walt Disney World Resort Disney Parks Blog new merchandise announcement. Honestly I'm pissed. Not only are they continuing the 12" predressed bears, they're now releasing 17" predressed bears! And the first looks really bad! They're saying this is a test run. Obviously, they think they're going to be making more money this way since a lot of people probably complained that the bear and costumes were expensive so now they're going to do a predressed bear with super cheap costumes at the same price as a naked Duffy. I'm just pissed that they're doing this! Gaaah!

They also announced new pins which don't look that bad and of course the vinylmation. I wonder if they will do more with different artist designs like DuffyD hopes but I have a feeling that those are the only 2 they'll release since they're open faced boxes. Maybe if they become popular they'll make more, but who knows.
    Poor unfortunate Souls.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

17" pre-dressed bears? Ummm... what? Seriously... WHAT? That makes absolutely NO sense at all.

Hey here's an idea, up the quality on the costumes for the existing 17" bears, discontinue the 12" bears and just have better quality merch all-around!

Oh wait, that's too logical for Disney!

*FACEPALM*

• Munchings & Crunchings

Not impressed...not in the least. The mother's day t-shirt is just...boring. Such lazy design. I really wish they would do more quality costumes, but part of me wonders if they are just going to phase those out completely and just sell all pre-dressed bears of both sizes. Maybe it will be better for their bottom line not to have too many lines of stock, but it sure won't help Duffy become anything more than a teddy bear on a shelf.

I do like the DLP 20th dressed bear, and I did like the California Adventure one at first, but I guess I don't need either. I would prefer just the costumes for the 17" bears instead.

The pins...eh, I'm not into them, and I don't care for these designs. Not that unique, in my opinion.

I also noticed that they said the vinylmation was only going to be done in those two designs. I'm sad about that, and I sure hope they don't mean that's it. To go to all that trouble to make a completely new mold and then to only do two? And there's Monty Maldovan's name again...

• MiceAge Columnist

A Disneyland Paris Duffy is on his way to me. He's French, I had to have him. I may be tempted to buy the DCA Duffy because I like the hat (stupid reason but c'est la vie) but I'll have to see him in person. Beyond that, I'm sick of all this pre-dressed bear baloney (not the word I want to use but trying to keep family-friendly). I continue to be nothing but disappointed in what Disney is offering for American Duffy collectors and pine away with envy at all the wonderful merchandise Tokyo puts out. I don't care about pins and don't need a bunch of little plastic Vinylmation Duffys.

It feels to me like the American Disney team is lacking in creativity and is bent on pushing the styles of merch they already do. But why does Disney's American Duffy team not listen to the Duffy fan community, get rid of those the 12" pre-dressed bears, start making quality costumes for the 17" bear and introduce some more interesting items to the line like Tokyo does? I guess they're happy with losing $$$ to Build-A-Bear and ebay. Very sad that they're so clueless.

• Adventures with Duffy

Sue I'm tempted to get the dca one for the hat too lol.

when I first saw the mothers day one I love it. Mostly because Duffy is special for my mom and I and we always go to dlr on Mothers day. Unfortunately I lost her in 2010, so mothers day for me is a bit tough. So I thought this would be perfect. Till I read its only in WDW. I know I complain about same things at both resorts. But really, is mothers day only celebrated in Orlando? Its just a generic t-shirt doesn't even say WDW on it. Needless to say I was disappointed.

as for the design of the t-shirt. Its almost like Disney doesn't have enough cm as designers and they don't have a lot of time to design cool things. I can totally see some head person coming into a designers office late Friday afternoon saying I need a 17" Duffy t-shirt designed before you leave tonight. I'm sure the cm is tired over works like most people in this bad economy doing the job of several people. Anyhow, I'm not a fan of the design, not a fan of the white t-shirt that can get easily dirty in the parks, the font I don't like, where is the Disney font? And where is the pretty design? Its Disney for goodness sake, they have to have clip art of Disney balloons and flowers somewhere on their servers. Its disappointing.

as for the pins, they are pins. I'm not a pin collector.

I like the Paris and dad pre-dressed Duffy are cute. I plan on getting them, mostly because I got the Tokyo 12" smiling Duffy ( he is so cute) and I'll figure out a way to take on and off the clothes.
    Last edited by DuffyGuardian; 05-04-2012 at 04:14 PM. Reason: spelling error

D
    uffeteer
    Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics

• Minion

17" pre-dressed bears. There are no words....

Sometimes I think there are people working for Disney who sit in some little room somewhere and ask themselves, "Hey, wouldn't it be neat if we did the EXACT OPPOSITE of what fans want?"

I can't even begin to see the logic here.