Page 41 of 132 FirstFirst ... 163138394041424344516691 ... LastLast

Re: New Duffy Merchandise

Wow, I just LOVE how they said Monty designed the brazilian T Shirt as if it was so artistic it needed credit. I never thought cutting out a mickey head shape from a flag was so creative and hard! I have new found respect for the artists and the US Duffy team!

PA-thetic

The food and wine one is ok, I'll admit. The bow tie is cute and doesn't look like super cheap fabric. But that print is just so ugly! Why do they rely so heavily on those ugly prints! Uuuuggggh!

• Tosses glitter on stuff

I understand why everyone is upset. But at the same time, I can't bring myself to hate what they're doing.
    The nice thing about having an extra group like the Oriental Land Company on board is that you have a whole extra source of money to work with. The Imagineers can focus on rides and other projects to their heart's content while a completely separate entity handles the merchandising.
    Whereas with a division of Disney handling it, there are so many other projects on hand that spending anything more on one can easily decrease the quality of another...
    That's how I see it, anyway. Maybe I'm just overly optimistic.
    Pudding sure is nice~

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Sad Re: New Duffy Merchandise

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    …I gotta admit the Brazil shirt is kind of cute and is a smart/sneaky way to get the bazillion Brazilian tourists that come to the parks to hopefully get them to buy a Duffy.
    Hm. It seems we see the same thing but from very different perspectives. Another cheap T-shirt with barely any "design" elements transparently intended for a quick cash-in does not impress me as smart, and it's too obvious to even get my vote for sneaky. "Crafty" at best. There's no evidence of someone having fun designing this; if it took more than five minutes to do a Google image search for the flag, add the layer of the Mickey mark and "create" the "artwork," Monty should be fired immediately. Something about the implication that only Brazilian tourists would want a Brazilian tee also doesn't sit well with me (I know it doesn't say that; I said "implication").

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyParksBlog
    “We saw success with the Mother’s Day and Father’s Day shirts, so we decided to introduce a shirt for a country not represented in World Showcase at Epcot,” explained Denise [Edelmaier, product developer for Duffy]. “We selected Brazil as we hope our Brazilian guests who are visiting Walt Disney World Resort this summer will discover the happiness that Duffy brings.”
    This really makes clear the way they are defining, "success," I think. Although I hate to imagine those insults to life-givers were profitable, even with the nearly nonexistent investment in production. If they can cut and paste unoriginal, low quality graphics onto generic plain white tees and make money just by telling a little (true or not?) story about how much they love it and saying it's "limited," well, then I imagine we'll see more of these. I see little evidence that Denise Edelmaier, Monty Maldovan or anyone else at WDC understands the happiness that Duffy truly brings, not in the slightest. Unless, of course, one chooses to define "happiness" the same way they apparently define "success" =

Quote Originally Posted by NRubus View Post
    Wow, I just LOVE how they said Monty designed the brazilian T Shirt as if it was so artistic it needed credit. I never thought cutting out a mickey head shape from a flag was so creative and hard! I have new found respect for the artists and the US Duffy team!

PA-thetic…
    Absolutely. The good thing about named credits in the US is at least we know who to blame! I'm with you on the tiresome prints, too. I understand why they do it. To those less "finicky" about design, each element feels like an added detail, yet the randomness means less need to worry about seam placement or be too careful in construction.

The bowtie is cute, I guess, though last year's red scarf was more appropriate and bowties are neither hard to purchase nor to make. The fact that it's mentioned as a "feature" strikes me as being as ironically hilarious as Monty gushing about how pleased he was with himself over those horrid aviator goggles.

Quote Originally Posted by kyunkyua View Post
    I understand why everyone is upset. But at the same time, I can't bring myself to hate what they're doing.
    The nice thing about having an extra group like the Oriental Land Company on board is that you have a whole extra source of money to work with. The Imagineers can focus on rides and other projects to their heart's content while a completely separate entity handles the merchandising.
    Whereas with a division of Disney handling it, there are so many other projects on hand that spending anything more on one can easily decrease the quality of another...
    That's how I see it, anyway. Maybe I'm just overly optimistic.
    OLC handles its own merchandising and runs its parks and hotels, too. They are constantly planning seasonal events with exclusive merchandise, including custom items designed by guests. Every event has new costumes, shows and choreography as well, some of which WDC recycles in the US while OLC pays Disney for 100% of the development. Their menus change each season as well, and they pay Disney both for licensing and development, as well as sharing profits. Disney gains from OLC while losing nothing. This year, OLC has launched a major new attraction in the form of Toyville Trolley Park, which is like a little Disneyland inside DisneySEA. They've also added Goofy's Paint House (sic) in TDL and are preparing their updated Star Tours. Additionally, they are upgrading rooms in the Ambassador Hotel and preparing for next year's 30th Anniversary. All this while recovering from an unprecedented natural disaster and long park closures.

OLC doesn't draw money from the numerous arms WDC has at its disposal, so the money thing is a hard sell. As for time, if the largest entertainment empire on earth can't manage its vast resources to achieve what it cares about, something is very wrong. I think it's pretty obvious that the problem is that they don't actually care about Duffy. In every Tokyo product, you can see designers having fun, celebrating both the Disney legacy and their own creative skill. The same simply cannot be said for any aspect of the US releases. Everything looks like someone did the bare minimum, as instructed, and as quickly and cheaply as possible. It is beyond clear to me that WDC does not care about Duffy, and does not respect his legacy of creators and fans in Japan. This is why, now, I do truly hate what they are doing. They rely on the fans to care about Duffy while they laugh at those same people, all the way to the bank. I don't think it's "optimistic" to support this; I think it's a crying shame.

• Wag More, Bark Less!

So, I tried to buy the Duffy Vinylmation that just came out and they were totally sold out at WDW. I couldn't believe it! It came out last Friday and sold out in TWO days? What?? They said DStreet was the only place to buy it and this time. However, he is available on Disneystore.com.

• I love that tiny bear!

The Duffy deals on the Disney Store website are getting weirder and weirder.

They still have 3 outfits for $30. Not surprising.

But now there's Spend $75 on Duffy (minus Vinylmation), get a free 12" 2012 Duffy.

And buy a 28" bear ($45) and get a free keychain and magnet.

And buy 3 12" Duffies and get the 2012 12" Duffy free.

Maybe the weirdest is "Accessorize your Duffy for $50." (Duffy wristbag, keychain, magnet, and pinset for $50.)

They still haven't technically discounted the 17" bear himself (aside from lowering the quality which does nothing to make the consumer MORE interested in buying). But they're pushing to get everything else moving.

Speaking of pushing Duffy...is this art new, or did I miss it? Duffy is on a lot of WDW merchandise.

Luggage tag: Walt Disney World Mickey Minnie Mouse Duffy Bear Luggage Tag NEW | eBay

Duffy temporary tattoos??? Disney WDW Mickey, Minnie, and Duffy Tatoo Set | eBay

He's even on the license plate frame! Walt Disney World Storybook Mickey Minnie Duffy Bear Car License Plate Frame NEW | eBay

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

I think it's new. There's a Drink Holder, too. Even the Mouses look really generic. I'm not loving it.

The Disney Food Blog posted today some new merchandise coming out for the 2012 Epcot Food & Wine Festival. Looks like there will be a limited edition Chef Duffy pin (love!) and a 12" pre-dressed Chef Duffy bear (too bad it's not a costume).

Name:  Chef-Duffy-Pins-2012-Food-and-Wine-Festival.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  26.8 KB
    Name:  Chef-Duffy-2012-Food-and-Wine-Festival-406x625.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  60.7 KB

It's interesting how they changed the quality of the 17" version, but the 12" seemed to have retained it's cuteness factor. If it was a costume for 17" I would be getting it.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Yeah the 12" bears are still mostly cute, but most of them are leftovers from last year they brought back out for the various holidays.

So in Steven Miller's last Duffy post he responded to a question about upcoming Duffy merchandise and said that with a new halloween costume there will also be a 9" Duffy product. Not sure if it is a pre dress, halloween or some other kind of Duffy item. Details will come in a later post he said. Probably towards the end of July or August since it will be dealing with the subject of halloween merchandise.

Duffy the Disney Bear Adds International Flavor to His Wardrobe at Disney Parks « Disney Parks Blog

I hope for the best which is anything other than a pumpkin outfit.

http://smallcrazyworldafterall.blogspot.com/

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

• I love that tiny bear!

9" Duffy? That would probably be smaller than the pre-dressed smiling bears from Japan! Goodness; at this rate I will be able to have a whole line of Duffies and Shellie Mays in descending order of height.

They said it was "for Halloween" so that sounds a bit like he might be Halloween-themed, but who knows?

• I love that tiny bear!

Apparently you can get a Duffy CAKE at Disneyland! (You would have to order it in advance to be delivered to your table service restaurant. The smallest cakes are $39, but I don't know what size/s they do Duffy cakes in.)

This site has the picture. Cake details are here (2011, so prices/options may have changed). I'm guessing the Duffy is edible, which would mean no actual merchandise to take home.

• Minion

That's really cute! Who would have guessed that you could order a Duffy cake!

If it was me, I'd still save the edible decoration. Take it home, and apply a spray sealer to keep it forever! I've done that with the little pastillage Jack Skellington that came on top of my cheesecake at the French Market, as well as the white chocolate World of Color film strip from my dessert platter at Ariel's Grotto. It works great!

That's actually pretty awesome! Now if only it was a bit cheaper. And if I do ever get one I'll use your advice Diznygrl! Thanks to both of you for the info!

I'm not sure if this was mentioned but DLP are selling Duffy cups and straws (I wasn't able to read the whole thread).

We recently got sent a St Patrick Duffy and he is a lot cuter and fluffier than our 17" bear from DLP. The costume is a bit cheapy, but Duffy was a gift so I won't complain and my Daughter loves him.

I know at DLP they are now selling a XL Duffy, not sure on the height I can check when I go in October. Are they selling these at any of the other US parks? I'm not sure if I buy him or the 28" version.

If anyone wants a 20th Anniversay Duffy (the prices I see on Ebay are a joke) please let me know as I can pick some up. They are 30 Euros if I remember correctly.