Page 44 of 128 FirstFirst ... 193441424344454647546994 ... LastLast

Re: New Duffy Merchandise

There is a new 12" Duffy for the 30th Anniversary for EPCOT. Unfortunately it is another just add a t-shirt to the bear. If they are going to do that I wish they would just sell the t-shirts alone. You can see it here:

Commemorate the 30th Anniversary of Epcot with New Merchandise Starting September 28 Disney Parks Blog

I agree they should just sell the shirt alone, its better that way cause I dont wanna have to buy another Duffy just for the shirt.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Also, it's the 12" version, so it's not like you could share the shirt with his big brothers...it would be a little snug. How much harder would it be to just sell the shirts for the 17" bear separately? It can't be MORE expensive...I mean they wouldn't even have to waste money on putting it onto the bears...

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    Also, it's the 12" version, so it's not like you could share the shirt with his big brothers...it would be a little snug. How much harder would it be to just sell the shirts for the 17" bear separately? It can't be MORE expensive...I mean they wouldn't even have to waste money on putting it onto the bears...
    Agreed. I do like the shirt though as I've been a Figment fan for a looooong time. I just wish it was made for the 17" bears. I'll be at Epcot this coming weekend so I'll see firsthand how these things look.

(On the other hand, I totally want one of the new iPhone cases for Epcot's 30th... just can't decide which one! I just upgraded to the 4S from my three year old 3GS - the 5 looks ok but I don't need that right now.)

• I love that tiny bear!

Are they really selling that 12" Duffy for $30, you think??? When they added cheaply-made T-shirts to the 17" Duffy, that bear retailed for $30 as well, right? Same price as an unclothed Duffy? Certainly not $45 (price of Duffy plus outfit).

Selling the Epcot 12" Duffy for the same price of a 12" Duffy that has at least some semblance of a full costume (hoodie or shirt and hat) seems like a money-grab.

Strangely, the blog entry links to an outdated page on Duffy that claims he's not sold online.

The Christmas Duffy's are out in Florida. I am not sure about if they are out in California yet, but I will see on Tuesday.

Disney Christmas Holiday Santa 9 inch Duffy Bear Mickey Mouse NEW 2012 Release | eBay

Also there is a very cute Santa Mickey holding a stuff Duffy Bear.

Disney Parks Santa Mickey Mouse with Duffy Bear 15" Plush Doll NEW | eBay

Very happy that these are cute this year. I am still curious about what the 17" outfit will be.

http://smallcrazyworldafterall.blogspot.com/

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Surely that second one is not a real thing. I mean for Duffy to work in that context, the proportions need to be really different, with shorter limbs and wider head. That's just the keychain attached to a Mickey plush. I think maybe the seller just did that to "add value?"

• Minion

Well I certainly wouldn't put it past Disney to "repurpose" overstock of the Duffy keychain in this way (I don't think they're selling all that well. Then again, what Duffy item in the US is? Heh). However, I've Googled and this picture by this one ebay seller is the only one of these that comes up. It's possible that it's a fake. I tried looking at Disneystore.com but the website is conveniently undergoing maintenance right now.

• I love that tiny bear!

That 9" Duffy is wearing the walkabout's Christmas outfit! OK, that's a must-have for me.

I wonder if they'll make a 9" Duffy with a sailor outfit...I know they want to keep him more seasonal, but they have his Christmas outfit, so I don't know that I can rule it out.

• Munchings & Crunchings

That Santa Mickey plush holding Duffy is the real thing. I've seen others. It wouldn't surprise me if they did repurpose the keychain plush or something like that. For them it would be easier and cheaper to just use an existing size rather than create a new one.

As for the 9", it's cute, and I noticed that it is the same costume as the walkaround character...and also it reminded me of Eeee-va's hand-made Santa costume for tiny Duffy.

Question, do these new 9" bears have beans in the bottoms? I'm wondering if they are like the Spring Voyage bears, or if these are just regular stuffed ones with no extra weight.

The Halloween 9" Duffy does not have beans. It is all plush.

• I love that tiny bear!

Less exciting news, but the Disney Store Outlet out here in Arizona had the plush Duffy Christmas ornaments for sale. They were in the Disneyland/Clearance section but were NOT discounted. I think they have a 30% off Disney Parks clearance merchandise this weekend so he may or may not have been discounted that way.

Unfortunately (or for the sake of my pocketbook, fortunately) I consider that ornament the homeliest bit of Duffy merchandise ever made, so I didn't take one home. If it would have been ANYTHING else under $20 I would've been tempted just for the novelty. I was trying to figure out the dollar amount for which I would've broken down and bought him...in the store I thought I wouldn't take one at any price, but now I'm thinking if they were $3 I'd look through them all and find the cutest one.

It's the first time I've seen Duffy for sale in my home state, though. Makes him less "exclusive" but since they've been selling all kinds of Duffies in the Florida outlets for some time, I figure it's only fair that he gets to come to Arizona too.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Quote Originally Posted by Eeee-va View Post
    …Makes him less "exclusive" but since they've been selling all kinds of Duffies in the Florida outlets for some time, I figure it's only fair that he gets to come to Arizona too.
    Surprisingly, even to me, I agree with you. The "mystique" of exclusivity was taken away the moment Duffy was made available to order on the website, underscored by all the "3 for…" and "30% off" sales. Don't get me wrong; I love a bargain as much as anyone. But I felt, even at the time, that this strategy sent a message akin to "We understand. Duffy is only worth it provided with easy delivery options or below a certain price point."

The ship has long sailed on the strategy of presenting Duffy as a must-have object worth going to the parks for or the approach that positions Duffy and Duffy goods as premium objects epitomizing a quintessentially "Disney" commitment to design and construction, destined to become a cherished keepsake. I wonder if the approach to quickly present Duffy as universally/genericly cute, convenient, cheap and disposable is working to win many over? I wonder if a slower, steadier approach with premium materials and build quality would be more effective, even if it took longer to build the fan base? I mean, it really seems to me like other Disney boards still don't have strong Duffy communities, and many MiceChatters are overwhelmingly impressed by the Tokyo standard. It seems to me that this is where the base is, and I want the brand to stay uncorrupted. Yesterday I saw something I've never seen in Tokyo: ShellieMay with a totally conical, rat-like nose. This concerns me.

I may be wrong, but I really believe quality is the most important element of long-term success. As for availability, it's too late. They might as well try increasing awareness by having him released all over the country. I think the clock is winding down, though. I look at what Tokyo has done with Cannery Clothing this year and I look at how global Duffy's Christmas release is — despite plenty of fan feedback — yet another pre-dressed bear with even less detail than last year's…I look at the HUGE missed opportunity to make a Captain EO costume for EPCOT's 30th…and I just wonder if there really is a long-term commitment to the character outside Japan. Marketing Duffy in local Disney Stores, if executed properly, could generate a lot of excitement about both Duffy and the stores. It really matters how it's handled, but with the direction the marketing has gone, this is one more possibility. I actually have a plan; maybe I should really apply for the job!^^
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 10-06-2012 at 04:04 PM.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    I may be wrong, but I really believe quality is the most important element of long-term success. As for availability, it's too late. They might as well try increasing awareness by having him released all over the country. I think the clock is winding down, though. I look at what Tokyo has done with Cannery Clothing this year and I look at how global Duffy's Christmas release is — despite plenty of fan feedback — yet another pre-dressed bear with even less detail than last year's…I look at the HUGE missed opportunity to make a Captain EO costume for EPCOT's 30th…and I just wonder if there really is a long-term commitment to the character outside Japan.
    I found out Duffy's US Christmas costume is the same one from last year (the santa pants & hat with the t-shirt). Cute but generic compared to what TDS puts out year after year.

As for a Captain EO costume... I am SO glad I have the special one my aunt made for me. An official costume would be awesome if done right. But I love what I have and glad I have something really unique. But in all honesty the costume for Epcot's 30th wouldn't be right as the attraction didn't debut at Epcot until 1986... 4 years after Epcot opened. Now, a Dreamfinder costume (with a little plushie Figment) would have been very apropos.

• I love that tiny bear!

Yesterday I saw something I've never seen in Tokyo: ShellieMay with a totally conical, rat-like nose. This concerns me.
    Sold in TDS?!?!

Marketing Duffy in local Disney Stores, if executed properly, could generate a lot of excitement about both Duffy and the stores. It really matters how it's handled, but with the direction the marketing has gone, this is one more possibility. I actually have a plan; maybe I should really apply for the job!^^
    I would be SO excited to see your ideas come true! One more great thing would be that Disney Store releases would allow a lot more people to experience Duffy events--or even just touch the merchandise--in person. If Wikipedia is right, about as many people live in the Tokyo area as live in ALL of California (and not all of California is close enough to get to Disneyland for a day trip). Since the United States is so spread out, I'd say the vast majority of Americans can't do day trips to a Disney park (even if they could afford it!) but a lot more could visit a Disney Store.

Aimster, I love your special Captain EO costume! Too bad there was no great EPCOT merchandise for Duffy. I'm also disappointed that the same old Christmas costume is out, though I don't know why I'm disappointed since it was pretty predictable. Maybe I thought they might make a costume to match the walkabout, I guess? Since they did it for the 9" Duffy. (An outfit to match the walkabout, if made of soft, quality fur, could've been kind of neat. Might have even worked with the pants on the existing outfit, though I'm not sure the colors would be right.)