Page 47 of 121 FirstFirst ... 37444546474849505797 ... LastLast

• Munchings & Crunchings

Re: New Duffy Merchandise

For those who bought the Pj's, how do they feel? Are they made of flannel? What does the quality feel like? I'm with Aimster in that I want to see what the quality is like before I buy them. I did see them on Disney Store.com, but hesitated.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders,Artists & Romantics
    Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

Also, Check out my Duffy blog and become a follower.

http://duffythedisneybear.blogspot.com/

• Munchings & Crunchings

I know I could edit my post, but I really want them to be separate, since the one above is a question, and this is more info.

Anyway, apparently Hong Kong Disneyland is featuring Duffy on lots of it's Christmas merchandise. I was looking on Ebay and saw some of it. The official site has very little of the merchandise shown, but you can see some of it.

Hong Kong Disneyland | A Sparkling Christmas

There are Christmas ornaments, pins, stickers, candy tins, the small plush the US got, and it says that there are new outfits. I wonder it that is the sweater and the PJ's that were released here? Anyway, what I've seen looks pretty cute, and personally, it's like a cross between the TDS level of cuteness mixed with the American version of Duffy. I like that HKDL at least attempts to mimic what TDR does with it's seasonal and event merchandise.

Here's the cute ornament:

A sticker:

Gummy candy tins:

Photo frame with lots of characters:

Cell phone straps:

Keychain:

So, it looks like Hong Kong Disneyland is doing more with Duffy than any other park besides Tokyo DisneySEA.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

That sticker is the same one they handed out last year at HKDL. I have one (courtesy of a friend who went there last year & snagged one for me).

Thanks for the scoop, Gurgi! I wonder how popular he really is there, and with whom?

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    For those who bought the Pj's, how do they feel? Are they made of flannel? What does the quality feel like? I'm with Aimster in that I want to see what the quality is like before I buy them. I did see them on Disney Store.com, but hesitated.
    I would like to know too! We're planning on buying them in eight sleeps in DTD

They are a soft flannel material outfit. Very cute! The slippers are a super soft also. I really do love these jammies!

http://smallcrazyworldafterall.blogspot.com/

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics

• Minion

Got back from DL earlier this week and found a couple new items I haven't seen before.

So I know that Disney's tactic with Duffy is basically subliminal advertising by sneaking him into the crowd on merchandise that features a variety of characters. Now it seems like Disney thinks the concept of Mickey having a teddy bear isn't connecting with guests, so they've started featuring Duffy with Minnie Mouse instead. Here's a cute magic towel (those washcloths that you soak in water and bring to life). The colors are really vibrant and I just love it. $3.95

There is also a series of plastic keychains that depict the 'Superb 6' (Whoa, Daisy was finally included! It's a miracle!) enjoying a day at DL/MK. Mickey holding Mickey balloons, Goofy studying a map upside down while eating a Mickey ice cream bar, etc. The Minnie keychain is holding a Duffy. $6.95

They are somewhat poorly painted and I tried to pick out a nice one, but this is the best Minnie one I could find.

There's a cute hidden Mickey on the back of her dress, though.

• I love that tiny bear!

I LOVE Minnie with Duffy! It might be a great idea marketing-wise (I prefer Minnie to Mickey myself, and I reckon a lot of, um, littler girls do too). And I think it's still true to the spirit of Duffy, since Minnie made him and the Spring Voyage show definitely has Minnie and Mickey interacting with both bears, not just "their own."

That washcloth is crazy cute. It even says Disneyland! Too bad the keychain is so poorly painted. It's funny because the feet are painted just fine. That was $6.95 for a full set of keychains, right, not just the one?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Eeee-va View Post
    I LOVE Minnie with Duffy! It might be a great idea marketing-wise (I prefer Minnie to Mickey myself, and I reckon a lot of, um, littler girls do too). And I think it's still true to the spirit of Duffy, since Minnie made him and the Spring Voyage show definitely has Minnie and Mickey interacting with both bears, not just "their own."

That washcloth is crazy cute. It even says Disneyland! Too bad the keychain is so poorly painted. It's funny because the feet are painted just fine. That was $6.95 for a full set of keychains, right, not just the one?
    Haha, yeah no. $6.95 each! Sad considering they probably cost like 10 cents to make.

Wow, that's pretty pricey for the quality if that's the best keychain you could find. I'm happy they cheaped out and left that "Duffy" stamp off the hat, though!

I'm gonna be deeply sad if Duffy gets marketed as "for girls," though. I accepted "for kids" vs collectors, but one of the exciting things about the US is our more open sense of gender roles. In fact, I think of teddy bears as the "boys' toy" equivalent to "girls'" dolls. I really hope they don't move in that direction.

With the UK Disney Stores readying to sell Duffy, I doubt the US will be far behind. I predicted it, but I still don't like it. Park-exclusivity is a major component of the Duffy brand for me, as is Cape Cod. Widely available Duffy makes him much more "just another Disney plush." It is very difficult after that to think of Duffy as symbolic of and synonymous with the park experience or fan experience. He will no longer be Disney's most exclusively positioned mascot, and then what you're buying into is just the cute teddy bear. I wouldn't have gone for Duffy if he'd been like that four years ago. I don't see a lot of longevity without the park-exclusive component, and I can't really imagine that shift going over well in Japan.

Disney Stores here, too, are no longer run or operated by OLC. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out over the next year.

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    I think of teddy bears as the "boys' toy" equivalent to "girls'" dolls.
    Ok I'm going to go out on a limb here. Not all girls like dolls. I sure didn't. Growing up, I always preferred stuffed animals to dolls and I still do. And I'm sure there are other girls out there who are the same way.

On the other side, there are boys who prefer dolls. Really. They do. I've even seen grown men in the Magic Kingdom with those soft Precious Moment dolls that are dressed like Disney princesses and they take photos of them all over the park. I personally find THAT a little creepy, but to each their own. I know I get strange looks sometimes when I'm taking photos of Duffy, but I just laugh and ignore them, so I'm really not one to talk.

I just wish Disney would re-think how they're marketing Duffy overall in the States. But it is a cultural thing. In Japan, he's popular with ALL ages. In the States, stuffed animals are seen as a "kids" thing. I say PHOOEY. I'm pushing 40 and I still play with my stuffed animals, but I'm weird like that. I'm quirky.

• Minion

I'm not sure I agree with the notion of teddy bears being seen as the boy alternative to dolls. Now of course teddies are a universal toy that can and do delight both boys and girls, but I have to say that there's a reason why you walk into Build A Bear and it's mostly filled with tons of girly clothes and accessories, while the boy stuff is less substantial. And the "Ride Makerz" store (build your own toy car) that they opened in Downtown Disney is considered to be the 'boy' alternative to BaB. Not saying it's right or wrong, just making an observation. It is not surprising to me that they have started to pair Duffy with Minnie Mouse, for this very reason.

Obviously I don't agree with the US's belief that stuffed animals are just for kids, hehe. But it's hard to fight something that seems so deeply engrained into the culture.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Wow, that keychain's paintjob is very scary! Shame on you, Disney, for selling it for so much while it looks like a cheap Mexican knockoff. The concept is cute, but boy did they cut corners on the paint!!

As for teddy bears and dolls, yeah, It's more nuanced than marketers would like. Teddy bears are more acceptable for boys to play with than dolls, but it's always a grey area. I remember loving both growing up, and getting very mixed messages about gender rolls from adults. I was given my sister's hand-me-down dolls to play with, and I had Strawberry Shortcake, Care Bears, etc. But I had the "boy" stuff too like toy trucks, Transformers, and G.I. Joe. At a certain point though, it was unacceptable to play with things like Barbie, My Little Pony, or Cabbage Patch dolls...it made no sense to me as a kid.

I think that places like Build-a-Bear see that it's mostly girls who are interested in creating bears and dressing them up. There are boys, but I guess not as many as the girls. Even something like American Girl doesn't even have any "boy" dolls to cater to boys. I went into a store the other day just to check it out and the little boys (and dads) all looked miserable. I do think I saw one family with a little boy, and he was picking out a doll and clothes. I was happy to see that, but it was not the norm in there to be sure...

Growing up, I had Barbies, but I gave most of them mohawks and stuff like that. I preferred playing with my Star Wars action figures (which I wish I still had... and I remember stealing the neighbor kid's Han Solo because his little brother bit me ). I even had an ugly Star Trek Captain Kirk doll for some reason that I preferred over girly dolls... and I was NEVER a Star Trek fan (always liked Star Wars better). Yeah I was an oddball.

• Minion

BTW, I just have to say that the other character keychains in the series didn't have such a bad paint job, oddly enough. Not perfect mind you, but the Minnie one seemed to have suffered the most. The others even have cute details, like an upside down castle on Goofy's map, and little "E" tickets in his back pocket. Donald has Fastpasses in his backpack, and one of those round white Mickey Mouse stickers CMs give away stuck to the bottom of his foot, hehe (which is probably what caused him to drop the ice cream he's holding). Mickey is wearing a watch, which I'm assuming is to keep track of his balloon selling shift. So yeah, they are really cute, but still probably not worth the $6.95. But then again, none of the trinkets Disney sells are really "worth" what they charge. Pretty much all of the keychains they sell are $6.95.