Page 48 of 125 FirstFirst ... 38454647484950515898 ... LastLast

Re: New Duffy Merchandise

Look who I found hiding at disneyland today! Didn't expect to see this little guy yet, but it was a nice surprise. He is a cutie. I got one for my mom and one for me since they seem to sell out so fast anymore.

He is so soft and so is his clothes. Just a little sweetheart

http://smallcrazyworldafterall.blogspot.com/

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

• Munchings & Crunchings

Is this the smaller 9" one? I'm glad they finally came out with a new Valentine's design. Although they kind of jumped the gun considering we're still a few weeks away from Christmas...

How Much?

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

The 9" ones are $15.

I'm really, sincerely glad you found something you like, Messica. I your tone and excitement. I have never felt so strongly both that I have to say something and that I don't want to say it, so I've used "spoiler tags" to hide the reasons I'm not such a fan of any of the US Valentine's releases so far:

Spoiler
    But for me, honestly, with that, and the old Cherub design too, I don't even see Duffy. That looks like the Disney Bear. It makes me sad. Everyone should enjoy what they enjoy, I know. But what Disney is doing is not just different and not just cheaper. They are actively re-genericizing Duffy, ruining his good name by putting it on generic Disney Bear products, selling them cheap and pushing them hard. They are unmaking Duffy, undoing Japan's work.

I don't wanna put a cloud over anyone's experience, but I also can't, as a fan, just silently go along with this. Look at Sweet Duffy, not only in terms of design and construction, but conceptualization and integrity. Think of its history as Duffy's "main event" until Spring Voyage last year. Then look at that pink vest covered in red hearts and really ask yourself if that's the same amount of effort, care, or even the same character. Imagine how much talent and planning goes into each one. Imagine how excited or not the people who worked on each were to finally see the finished product reach the public. They do not love Duffy. They do not respect him, and they don't respect fans enough to feel that they have to fully invest to earn our support. That's just crazy. And wrong.

For fifteen bucks, I guess I could think it was sort of cute as the Disney Bear. But it isn't Duffy. And knowing that if it wasn't using Duffy's name it would never sell as well — a name Disney neither created nor seems to care about — and that in using that name they are sullying it… It just breaks my heart.

The "Be Mine" font is very nice, though. The heart pattern seems to be printed more carefully, not too cut off on the edges. The stitching looks ok and the buttons seem cute, though I'm looking at small photos. It's not that it's a "bad product" — not at all. It's that it isn't Duffy. If Duffy was just a Disney product to me, I suppose I wouldn't care. But he isn't, and I do.
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 12-07-2012 at 03:20 PM.

The Valentines Duffy is a 9". He is $18. Why $18 and not $15, well because he is technically 2013 merchandise and at the first of the year there is a tradition of a price increase.

I stand by my original statement that he is cute. I think alot of it has to do with his size and how huggable he is.The vest and the newsboy cap is perfect at the 9" size. It also seems to make the Valentines Duffy that much sweeter.

I honestly think that he was put out early as a mistake by a Castmember. He was only out in one store at Disneyland and nowhere at California Adventure. Still, I am glad I found him.

http://smallcrazyworldafterall.blogspot.com/

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics

I'll stand with you, Messica. He absolutely is cute, especially in this second photo. Although it looks like the heart patterns get cut off along the seams in the hat, which is a bummer. Still, the shape of the hat and your posing definitely enhance my appreciation. Thanks for posting another photo. Annual price hiking sounds like a fairly unpleasant tradition.^^

• Adventures with Duffy

He is really cute. How is his quality? I keep hoping it improves. Its not like they dont know what good quality is they can just look at what TDS has.

For me I wish they do the seasonal in the 17". A friend of mine who use to work collectables for Disney says the guest in the states are more likely to buy more plushes in different costumes then to buy one plush and the different costumes. I take that has Disney is giving the USA guest what they will like. I just with the gave options, not all USA guest want a pre-dress plush.

D
    uffeteer
    Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics

I find that a bit hard to believe, Janell, because even Duffeteers who support the US releases are always saying they want more 17" costumes. It seems like a case of relying too much on consumer surveys, test marketing and research data. Duffy's phenomenal success has always been more surprising and magical, of the "if you build it, they will come" variety.^^

• Adventures with Duffy

I see your point. I don't know for sure. It's one persons view.

In Ca build it they will come doesn't work. Maybe it's because of Hollywood but CAers can't be won over buy just building it. Look at DCA big flop till carsland. Most APers who make up a huge number of DLR guest are not fans of Duffy as he is just a money machine. So sad but it's why he's having a hard time.

D
    uffeteer
    Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics

I was at WDW today and did a Duffy "quality check". The faces on the 17" bears are getting cuter again (some are nice and fat and exuding personality plus the bigger ears seem to be making a comeback), but the bodies are under-stuffed and too floppy. And they're still using that icky waffle fur.

I also saw the PJs in person and... I decided not to get them. I don't like how Duffy's name/image is plastered all over them. I know the bear's name, I don't need a constant reminder. If the jammies were just plain stripes and the anchor graphics, they would be a lot cuter.

I agree, Aimster. It's a shame, cos I'd almost buy that costume anyway, for the slippers… Although the OLC pajama slippers still blow them away, the US version is (ironically) more "Cape Cod." They should pursue that classic Americana style; it's something the US might even do better than Tokyo, if they cared to.^^

My Duffy likes his bunny slippers from BAB, but we're still on the hunt for the Star Wars jammes he wants. BAB doesn't carry them anymore and most ebay auctions for them are too expensive.

Ok so the Mad Hatter & Peter Pan costumes are now available at Epcot. A friend of mine picked up hers today. Mad Hatter is on the usual Duffy shaped hanger. Looks cute but it's just the hat and coat (no pants). Peter Pan is in a trunk and it looks good from the photo she posted on her Facebook. She said Mad Hatter is $20 and Peter Pan is $30.

I didn't see the peter pan costume so I can not comment, however I did get a chance to see the mad hatter costume. Here at the build a bear in downtown disney they have alice in wonderland costumes (mad hatter, alice, and the queen of hearts) and honestly bab is nicer at least it seems to be to me