Page 50 of 129 FirstFirst ... 2540474849505152536075100 ... LastLast

Re: New Duffy Merchandise

Check out the Disney Blog, they have a whole bunch of new Duffy items coming out on it!!! I like the St. Patrick's Day outfit. I will have to get one and take him the the Chicago South Side Irish Parade!!!

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Thanks, immamouse! Here's the LINK!^^

I really like the Flower & Garden outfit, though one would immediately want to sew real buttons over those embroidered ones.

St Patrick shows noticeable improvement, even in the photo. The Easter on the other hand, while showing some creativity (thank you^^), drops the ball by not being very cute or charming.

BAB's egg outfits are MUCH cuter, although they lack the chicken suit which I'd consider another plus, especially with such cheap sculpting of the chick's head it looks like a tongue or a ball cap. And the zipper band breaks any illusion that Duffy is a character wearing a costume and forces the perception of a product-thing inside another product-thing. All of that could somehow be forgiven if one chooses to accept that Disney's designers are simply not as talented as OLC's or BAB's and that's (for some inexplicable-to-me reason) "okay." But the fact that an official press photo showcases this seam line where Mickey (or is it Duffy? or just coincidence?) is suggested, but the proportions don't actually work this is as unbelievable as last year's Mother's Day offering.

It is not just a lack of skill at this point; it is a visibly apparent lack of concern. This hubris is the very antithesis of Duffy, and it makes me furious. What excuse could there possibly be for this? No law caused it! Heck, I don't even see how price has anything to do with it. Better sculpting on the chick might have cost a little more, but cost has no bearing on the shape of that print. It's just WRONG, and it flashes its wrongness like a neon sign, daring you to either care and walk away or accept it and shut up, "be glad you got something." No, thanks.

This does not bode well for the Disney Stores announcement.

Pins are cute, but have come to represent my greatest and most expensive disappointment with Duffy.

Too be honest after looking at that link I am very disappointed with it all. None of those outfits scream 'Buy me.' and the easter one kinda freaks me out. It looks like Duffy crawled into the chicks skin and wore it. It's not very formed and all in all looks bad. This does not bode well at all for what Disney plans to do with Duffy. They need to get their act together and start making better quality things. Because this is not it by no means. And I know Disney can do it I just think they are being lazy and don't care about this bear.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Hmm...the St. Patrick's day costume is a good start, and something fans really have been asking for since the beginning. It still baffles me why Disney hasn't made all the seasonal costumes available as 17" bear costumes. It's not like they would not still sell the pre-dressed bears, but it sure would give people more options. I like all the green, and the shamrocks for sure. Not crazy about the hat, the brim is too wavy. But, it's still cute.

I like the gardening Duffy a lot, and sure do wish there were a 17" costume version of that! Even the 2013 outfit would be cute as a costume. I just don't have room, or the money to buy individual dressed bears.

I'm with DuffyD on that Easter egg plush though. I know the concept, and I have seen the original Mickey and Minnie versions (they also did the Pooh characters, I believe). However, the print on the egg is just bad. They cut the Mickey symbol right in half with the zipper. All it would have taken was to place that design either above or below the zipper line. The chick costume is...meh. I get it, and it's a cute idea on Duffy for sure, it's just they could have made the "chick" look much cuter. I'm not mad at it though, I just think the egg pattern is a big mistake.

I don't collect pins though, even Duffy ones, so I'm not excited by the character hat pins, but I'm sure lots of people will love them. I am not being critical about them, It's just not something that I collect personally.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    …I'm with DuffyD on that Easter egg plush though. I know the concept, and I have seen the original Mickey and Minnie versions (they also did the Pooh characters, I believe). However, the print on the egg is just bad. They cut the Mickey symbol right in half with the zipper. All it would have taken was to place that design either above or below the zipper line. The chick costume is...meh. I get it, and it's a cute idea on Duffy for sure, it's just they could have made the "chick" look much cuter. I'm not mad at it though, I just think the egg pattern is a big mistake…
    While cut across a zipper may not have been the best choice, having the design split and come together when closed is smart and that totally works for me. The problem is that the portion of the Mickey marks that was cut to make room for the zipper is significantly larger than the actual zipper in reality. This happens when designers know nothing about and are not communicating with a production team who cares nothing about and are not focused on realizing the vision of designers.

This is an embarrassingly amateur kind of problem. Tiny, independent hobbyist toy-/plush-makers don't even do this. And all those showy seams and creases — YUCK!!

But the significantly more disturbing problem is that these images are not "leaked." This is not some prototype that good ol' Monty and Disney never, ever wanted us to see. They saw the prototype and said, "Meh, good enough." I've never really gone there before but honestly, what kind of artist is Monty if he didn't demand to take a few minutes and fix these proportions before press release and production? Where is the commitment to the integrity of his own reputation, much less Duffy's vision?

For us to see this, there had to be a day a professional photographer came and Steven Miller saw it before he blogged. Merchandising saw it and Marketing saw it. Lots of people saw it. Not one of them could be bothered to say, "Hey, shouldn't the top and bottom be just a smidgen further apart? It's kinda the make-it/break-it point between a tiny bit cute or totally crappy. I mean, that Mickey mark is close to all this design has going for it. Maybe it's worth a couple seconds in CADCAM to fix." Nope.

Here it is, presented with flourish, sure to be a "hit." And every one of these that sells is a knife it Duffy's soft, sweet heart. I can hardly believe it. But I had actually forgotten Mother's Day, too, until this. I'm not sure which is more insulting.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Oh, I still think mother's day takes the cake. It was a t-shirt...with the most generic design on it. Not even a human should have worn that shirt, let alone Duffy. The egg is bad, but not as bad as that was.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Oh don't even get me started on those stupid Mother's Day & Father's Day shirts. They were LAME.

I like the St Patty's costume as it looks like the one the 12" bears have worn. But I got a St Patty's costume at BAB last year, so I don't need another one. I'm just tired of Disney coming out with costumes that are... costumey. This is why I like BAB so much. My Duffy likes to wear "everyday" clothes unless it's a special occasion (though right now he's in his new Peter Pan outfit my mom picked up for him... but he says he's not Peter Pan. He took the bow and arrows's from Shellie's Merida costume again and said he's Robin Hood).

The 12" gardener Duffy is cute, but I don't have the room or can afford to buy every pre-dressed bear they come out with.

The idea of the egg/chick is cute but not executed very well. Won't be getting that.

The egg think creeps me out to no end. I would have rather had Duffy just dressed in some sort of cute Easter ensemble. I do like the gardener bear. I will have to get that one. I really like the bowtie on the St. Patrick's Day outfit. Bowties are cool!
    Luv Duffy & Shellie May

• Minion

The Easter egg Duffy doesn't even look like the other Duffys. His face is different. Cute, but different.

Although I like the St. Patrick's Day outfit, I agree with Aimster. I've had enough of all the "costume" clothes, which are things my bears will only wear for holidays like Halloween or Christmas. I much prefer casual everyday wear, which is why out of all the new stuff presented, my favorite is the 2013 outfit the 12" bear is wearing (even though I have a general dislike for clothes with years on them). But then I guess it shouldn't matter to me either way, because my bears aren't 17" and I don't buy Disney's Duffy outfits anyway.

• Call me Dr. Ninja Ghost

I like the St. Patrick's Day costume. It would be perfect for Duffy and Shellie May to wear to either the St. Patty's Day parade or the Irish/Italian parade...assuming of course I triple bear dare to take them to a parade.

I agree with both aimster and Diznygrl and wish Disney would release more everyday/regular clothing. My bears and I love costumes just like any New Orleanian, so a reason is not necessary to wear one. Nevertheless, Duffy and Shellie May's casual Disney gear is seriously lacking. Actually, it's nonexistent. They have regular clothes from BAB and ones that I designed/am designing for them, but nothing from Disney and that's sad.

I do like some of the pins, specifically Aladdin, Jafar, Captain Hook, and the Mad Hatter. I especially the Mad Hatter. I just resist singing The Jabberwocky ("'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves...") or the Merry Unbirthday Song ("Have a very merry unbirthday to you...").

Oh, and I called Disney Theme Parks merchandise guest services line today because a significant number of people were asking about the Valentine's Day Duffy. Well, I have bad news to report. Apparently, he is completely sold out at both (yep, Disney World and Disneyland) theme parks. The GS representative said that basically, whenever stores could replenish their stock, it would sell out within a week. So if you go to the parks and happen to find one, buy him because you probably won't get a second chance.

Quote Originally Posted by ZTRinZler View Post
    I do like some of the pins, specifically Aladdin, Jafar, Captain Hook, and the Mad Hatter. I especially the Mad Hatter. I just resist singing The Jabberwocky ("'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves...") or the Merry Unbirthday Song ("Have a very merry unbirthday to you...").
    I absolutely love the Mad Hatter pin. It's the only one I really like and that's because I am a really big Mad Hatter fanatic. I would probably buy the Mad Hatter Costume and pin the Mad Hatter pin on it. ^.^

• Call me Dr. Ninja Ghost

Quote Originally Posted by DuffylovrDisney View Post
    I absolutely love the Mad Hatter pin. It's the only one I really like and that's because I am a really big Mad Hatter fanatic. I would probably buy the Mad Hatter Costume and pin the Mad Hatter pin on it. ^.^
    Me too!!! I would even be crazy enough to dress myself, Shellie May, and Duffy in Mad Hatter costumes and attach a Mad Hatter pin to each of our costumes. Two years ago, my friends and I dressed up as characters from Alice in Wonderland (book and movie) and Through the Looking Glass for Mardi Gras. It was so much fun speaking with British accents; singing the Merry Unbirthday song and The Jabberwocky poem; and having pseudo tea parties which we always initiated by shouting, "Tea time!" It was a bit hard to do while trying to catch Mardi Gras throws, but it was well worth it since many of the krewes had Alice in Wonderland-themed floats and consequently threw us a ton of stuff in appreciation of our hard work and craziness.

That is absolutely so cool ZTRinZler. ^.^

ZTRinZler-Are you making outfits for your Duffy and Shellie May? I would kill for an Alice costume to go with the Mad Hatter outfit! I wish I could sew. I would make many outfits for my bears!
    Luv Duffy & Shellie May

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Naelyan, BAB makes an Alice…and a Queen of Hearts. I only got the Queen of Hearts. The others didn't do it for me.