Page 63 of 126 FirstFirst ... 133853606162636465667388113 ... LastLast

Re: New Duffy Merchandise

Quote Originally Posted by Ilovegreataur View Post
    tenchikiss, you must have missed gurgi's added comment that the $22 was CAD. $20 USD.

Gurgi, where did you find the information? I cannot find it online. ILG
    I did. I think I hit reply before they posted. XD Good to know that prices haven't gone up yet. I got the safari outfit the other day at an outlet store and it was 18 whereas all the costumes start at 20 now. You know how Disney wants to get every dollar from us. XD

I foresee a lot of Disney train rides in Duffy Lovers future now. XD I can't even remember the last time we rode the train at the Magic Kingdom. Probably in 2010 with my brother.

• Pals: Bart and Duffy

Not to go too off topic...we got on a train that took forever to move. When it did, it literally went 0.5 mph. People were walking faster than we were moving.

I have been looking but the engineer outfit has not been on line yet. I found it in Chicago. When the weather gets nice I want to take him on the train with me and have his picture taken with one of the conductor's. I will need to find the right conductor who will do it though, some of them are crabby old guys and some are pretty nice.

The tags say Disney store with a london address on them

Definitely a cute concept, and a fresh one. It's still a bit "costumey," but very much work-oriented. Duffy's work ethic and variety are very important to me, so I love that. If I didn't already have a similar Japanese independent designer outfit made with heavy denim and metal buttons and rivets, I might be slightly tempted.

It certainly does seem to be an improvement in design. It looks like finally Monty is considering the construction limitations he's working within and keeping the aesthetic simple enough that it looks like a conscious choice rather than a CSPA-neutered vision. I can even accept the embroidered buttons and hat badge, though black seems an out-of-place choice here; I'd have preferred a darker orange or the blue from the overalls for the Mickey mark. Still, I've come to accept that this is Disney's construction style; I can live with it, and one could always add metal buttons over these details with very minimal effort if they don't have safety concerns. BUT…that embroidered watch?! Just no for me.

Not only is it unnatural and unconvincing, but its presence means that if one tries adding their own accessory, the design becomes even noisier, which is at odds with the simple and clean base aesthetic. I would want to give Duffy a metal pocket watch for this, but this design limits my use of that to above-the-waist shots. I guess it's ok, but I think it would've been better — and cheaper — for Disney to have skipped the watch detail altogether. Or — best — designed a child-safe plush accessory pocket watch like Peter Pan's "sword." If it was designed like that, the only reason I wouldn't have it is because of my existing outfit. I really don't like embroidered faux elements, but embroidered accessories is a step beyond that I almost find cringeworthy.

The OLC utilizes faux pockets (and real pockets), but that's as far as it goes (although these bother me, too). I see the rationale for faux buttons as safe yet decorative on the Disney releases, though I'm very thankful not to have that limitation here. When it comes all the way to stitching on two-dimensional accessories, though, I think that's a design flaw. Just leave it out or make it a simple 3D accessory that parents can choose to give to their kids or not.

Taken altogether, though, this is not a bad direction for Disney. It definitely makes Duffy feel more like Duffy and less like the Disney Bear, but the $20 price for the level of detail still seems a little high to many consumers, I imagine, especially with BAB's quality standards and pricing structure, and now with Duffy completely lacking any kind of park exclusivity. I hope it does well enough to inspire the next step, but I hope the next step is a reboot of the whole Duffy costume line; with form, function, safety, price — and most importantly "Duffyness" — all carefully balanced. This Engineer outfit looks to me like evidence that Monty might be ready for that now and the Company might just give him the support he needs to do it.

Sitting by the door, waiting for the PIN to come… WishListers knowhutimean.^^

• Munchings & Crunchings

Oh, the info I got off of the costume itself. I bought one for my Duffy. The tags do say Disney Store on them, and have both the US and London Disney Store headquarters, so I'm guessing these will also be sold in the UK stores?

Here are a few photos of my Duffy wearing it. I do agree with what DuffyDaisuki said about it, and despite the embroidered watch, I do think this is a step in the right direction for the US costumes.

Oh, and I should have taken pictures of the back. In another good step for Disney, the front pocket on the overalls is an actual pocket, and the two back pockets are functional as well. And...there's a blue Mickey mark on his back left pocket, like the TDS costumes have. The shoes he's wearing are not part of the costume, they are from the Halloween Dream costume set from TDS, and also, since I don't have any trains for him to model with, I had to improvise with a streetcar toy...

• Pals: Bart and Duffy

So, I phoned the closest Disney store...no engineer outfits.
    She said they get shipments on Mondays. Maybe next week.

I also phoned the outlet. They don't have Duffy at all. She said that maybe the outlets aren't getting the Duffy products at all.

I think it makes sense for the outlets to not have duffy merchandise, at least here outlet malls are seen as more "discount" places for extra/older merchandise. I was looking at the Duffy section in my Disney store but a sales representative told me that they havent been selling at all. I guess without all the stories and exposure to the parks Duffy has a first appearance of a regular, expensive little bear.

That engineer outfit is so cute though! Great way to appeal to boys, plus good boy clothes are so hard to find.. Definitely a step in the right direction in my book

• Faith Trust & Shellie May

I called both outlet stores they only have 3 costumes sorcerer buzz and one other.no mention of even getting the new outfit

I just called the Avenues Mall and the Florida Mall. No train outfit there either.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Disney Store at Countryside Mall in Clearwater doesn't have it, but I called the one at International Plaza in Tampa and they do! Gonna try to to there tomorrow and pick it up.

• Lemony Goodness

I really like the pocket watch detail on the overalls, but I'm not a huge fan of the duffy paw prints on the soles of the shoes! The hankerchief is precious, however. <3

They don't have it at Florida Mall? DOH! I was hoping to swing by on Friday and pick one up. Oh well, maybe later!
    Luv Duffy & Shellie May

Quote Originally Posted by Naelyan View Post
    They don't have it at Florida Mall? DOH! I was hoping to swing by on Friday and pick one up. Oh well, maybe later!
    Yeah I called both since Sakuraskiies and Scruffy's owner are going to Downtown Disney soon. I figured we could stop by there before going. Maybe it is slowly being rolled out but the woman at the Florida Malls had no idea what I was talking about. But I have been told before that they, the associates, don't know what new displays will look like until the morning of.

If the train set is a Disney Store item, I wonder if that means they won't get in in at Downtown Disney or the parks. (I think it would sell well in MK).