Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

Post DCA Duffy Meet and Greet moving!

So Al reported in his latest update that Duffy's current Meet and Greet at the entrance to the Treasures store will be moving. It will move to this area, in front of the store.

This is usually where they have the gazebo for Santa's meet and greet and most recently, Mickey's. Since then they've added some trees, and I think they'll add more Duffy elements, but Al said the reason for the change was because they want Mickey to start doing the meet and greets with Duffy. He said it would probably help Duffy's popularity. I'm actually a little excited about this. I think it could actually work out really well. Yes it will make it seem like Duffy is MICKEY's bear, but Duffy isn't as popular on his own to hold his own meet and greet just yet. I think it will help Duffy get much more exposure and popularity. What do you guys think?

• Future Indy Castmember

Re: DCA Duffy Meet and Greet moving!

The idea of Mickey doing meet and greets with Duffy sounds like the idea I proposed in Malin's Duffy thread in the DL forum to adress his meet-and-greet problems.

This is a great idea to help get Duffy more exposure to the public as a character. Even though there were lines at Duffy's current spot, I know that won't last long and it would go back to being a walk-on later. And once Duffy gets the attention and popularity their hoping he gets, I would think they would try again of having him on his own.

Hopefully the new spot looks good!

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Duffy is different in the US, and I guess we just have to accept that for now. If it helps folks connect with him, I guess…whatever. Probably realistically a lot of Japanese fans think of Duffy as "Mickey's bear," too. It's a shame since the story writer of the first book made real effort to avoid this as a limitation on the character's broader and more personal potential. This choice was among the most impressive decisions that separated Duffy from "Disney Bear," and made him more special.^^

• Adventures with Duffy

So that is what they are doing in that area. I don't like the idea that Duffy can't stand on his own. That his storyline isn't well known. If this helps get Duffy popular and become a loved character in the states, then Im cool with it. Im sure its enough for the guest to fall for Duffy. But I hope so.

I read on another board someone asking who was Duffy and so on. One person posted that they thought that $25 for a Duffy was to pricey. I was a bit shocked, thinking for a plush that seems right in cost. But then again its been awhile since I bought a plush, so Im not sure what they are going for. It does give in site to the average guest. Guest will pay a lot of money for some Pin, I think they are what over $8.00 each and some go really high. The pins are or can be collectiable, traded and something people search for. Maybe that is what is wrong with the Duffy line in the states. We know we can go back and buy a costume when ever they want too. Where in Tokyo, things get sold out in a day or longer. But most items wont always be there. And really the same thing is with Build a Bear. They have clothing that comes and goes. So maybe that is the deal with Duffy, he need to be more collectible.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Thumbs up Re: DCA Duffy Meet and Greet moving!

MOVED by DuffyDaisuki^^
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 02-27-2011 at 11:49 PM. Reason: It was never my intention to derail this thread...apologies.^^

• Munchings & Crunchings

Great post, DuffyDaisuki. You know, this might be a little bit sad, but I had a "Duffy dream" last night. No, he didn't visit me in my dreams like he did for Mickey. It was a "real world" dream where I was dealing with the US marketing executives in charge of the Duffy push. There was one guy who was just particularly down on the bear. He was badmouthing the concept and just told people to do whatever they felt like for this dumb teddy bear that he couldn't care less about. I think I must have been on the design team or something, because I was interacting with him and I basically told him off for using Duffy as a throwaway money maker. I told him that if he wanted to make money, which is all he really cared about, that he needed to invest in the character and do things right, even if he didn't understand the concept himself.

Yeah, it was a dream, but I'm sure there are lots of people in charge who couldn't care less about the concept and really just want to try as little as possible to get as much money as they can. They will cut corners, use half-hearted marketing ploys, and just general mis-management. This is not just a Duffy issue though, it's Disney as a whole that has this problem, and I can't imagine that they would miraculously "get it" with Duffy unless there were a fundamental shift in the entire company. It's just too big for it's own good these days. Way more corporation, much less creative. At least with OLC, they really only have the TDR parks to deal with...well, and some other things too, but their main bread and butter are the parks. So, they can focus on the details and do things the right way, because they are not stretched to thin...yet. Sure, Disney has a hand in design there, but OLC hold the purse strings, so even Disney can flex it's creative juices on somebody else's dime.

I truly hope that Duffy can find some kind of success with the US public, and if putting him next to Mickey and beating people over the head with who he is works, then so be it. There needs to be a lot more creativity and quality though for fans to truly be captivated.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

MOVED by DuffyDaisuki^^
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 02-27-2011 at 11:49 PM. Reason: It was never my intention to derail this thread...apologies.^^

Unfortunately Disney doesn't get it anymore. They have no idea what the fans want. They stated at the passholder event that they would not make any different colors, not even as limited editions. They have overproduced everything since the relaunch. Now they are raising the prices on everything. The Christmas Duffy is still available and they want to raise the prices $5 on most of the items. At least Vinylmation and pins had already caught on as collectibles before Disney got greedy. But then again Vinylmation and pins aren't selling that great anymore so I can see where the future of Duffy is headed. They could do so much to help Duffy connect with the average Disney fan but they just don't get it.

• Banned User

Well, here's the new meet and greet! It's still not done(more nautical elements to come) but it's close to the final product! I actually really like it! It looks very nice! Btw, this is now called Duffy Landing!

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Quote Originally Posted by FutureImagineer183 View Post
    Well, here's the new meet and greet! It's still not done(more nautical elements to come) but it's close to the final product! I actually really like it! It looks very nice! Btw, this is now called Duffy Landing!
    Is there a photo here that I'm not loading? I don't see anything, but I'm on my phone so maybe that's the problem…

Will it have an original storybook, a narrative-themed park event and an assortment of high-quality goods including the long-awaited popcorn bucket and a fashionable new outfit? If so, they're really listening.^^

• Banned User

Haha oops I forgot to post the link! That's what happens when u post from a phone! LOL

http://mintcrocodile.smugmug.com/pho...0_Vz82y-X3.jpg

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Thumbs up Re: DCA Duffy Meet and Greet moving!

Thanks!^^

• Keeper of the fruit rolls

I wonder if the plan is to have people pose with both characters together or if it'll be done where you meet one and then move to the other as the next group meets the first one.
    -Jennelle AKA Blue AKA Dory

Quote Originally Posted by drphibes View Post
    SBF's lasso of truth makes grown men want to go pee pee.
    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendGonzo View Post
    Have you considered buying a bed?...as far as I can tell you live in an apartment with a computer, a coupon for hungry howies, and there may or may not be a llama there...
    DLR trips in 2011: Jan 12,29,30, Feb 10, March 29, April 3, 22, May 14, 18, 25, June 9, August 8, 21...hopefully soooooooooon

FB, Twitter

• Future Indy Castmember

Quote Originally Posted by skybluefusion View Post
    I wonder if the plan is to have people pose with both characters together or if it'll be done where you meet one and then move to the other as the next group meets the first one.
    I think the plan will be to have both Mickey and Duffy together at one time.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Duffy's Landing is a real place in Jeffersonville, Indiana. Apparently it's a popular place to watch the annual Great Steamboat Race from Louisville to Jeffersonville as part of the Kentucky Derby Festival. This has great potential for theming, though at this point one wonders if the people who made this decision even know this.

It inspires me to write a "prequel" about Duffy winning the race with the great steam-powered lightship Shellie May! For some reason one year, the two big riverboats can't compete and everyone is afraid the Race will be cancelled. A cash prize is offered so Cap'n Pete "volunteers" to race with Willie but Mickey helps Duffy and Shellie May take home the Golden Antlers by comedically sabotaging Pete as his first mate!

WIKIPEDIA
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 03-04-2011 at 12:42 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast