Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Wag More, Bark Less!

Re: How can Disney expect fans to love Duffy as special if they don't genuinely seem

Just got back from DTD and HS and sure enough they raised the prices on the Duffys and the outfits. The other non Duffy merchandise was the same price. Why raise the princes on Duffy and nothing else. I also thought this is because of the gas prices going up. Everything is going up though - food, clothes, etc. Oh well, not sure how people are going to want to spend $30 on Duffy, but you never know. It is Disney and if people are spending $12 to $75 on those Vinylmations thn so be it, they will spend $30 on the bear! Oh, speaking of Vinylmation, any idea on what the Duffy Vinylmations will look like? They are supposed to start showing up this month.

Re: How can Disney expect fans to love Duffy as special if they don't genuinely seem

To raise prices on any of their merchandise and blame it on gas prices would simply be a joke. They charge $23-$27 on t-shirts that cost them a few dollars to make. Most pins cost less than $1 to make and they charge 7-12 times that at retail. If Disney doesn't make enough$$$ they will simply stop producing the item. It happens all the time, especially with plush. Company A may make the outfits for $3 apiece. When the order is filled then they may want $5 apiece or tell Disney they will no longer make them. If Disney doesn't see enough profit then they will simply discontinue selling that item. The fans may think $10 profit on an outfit is great and Disney may only sell them if their profit is at least $12. I always wondered why they don't sell stuff cheaper so they can sell more. There are so many things they can do to help Duffys sell but raising prices is not one of them. I won't be surprised if Duffy is gone by 2012.

• Adventures with Duffy

I also thought, I remember a few weeks ago, the news said that the price of cotton was going up. I forget why. Anyhow, the news said things like clothing would go up in price. So maybe that has something to do with Duffy. Which also means the t-shirts and other items may go up too. Why they haven't gone up now, maybe because they already bought the items and they have been waiting in storage. Where Duffy may not have much in storage.

What the....? I've been away from the online forums quite a bit while traveling, but they raised prices?!!? I was just at DL on Sunday and picked up the Woody and Buzz outfits just for comparison sake so I need to see what we paid. This is truly annoying -- it's sad enough that I saw NOT ONE SINGLE Duffy Bear (besides ours) wandering around the California Adventure that day. For that matter, I barely saw Duffy the character. It's no wonder he's failing miserably at DCA when he's the character with the shortest amount of face time each day. Other characters meet-and-greet like 9am - 5pm, while poor Duffy is just out like 2x a day for like 2 hours each! WTH?

The question I am most wondering about is how this will affect Hong Kong. Remember, Hong Kong has Tokyo based pricing on the bears while they have both TDS and US Disney Parks outfits. Will Hong Kong raise their prices as well? I won't be at HKDL until the first of April so can't check any sooner than that.

It's really sad how the US merchandising continues to focus on $$ only. Since they combined buyers for both WDW and DL a few years back, things have really gone down. This whole "One Disney" is crap imo.

There's also a big disconnect between Disney officials. When the Head of Merchandising is finding out about Duffy release stuff by reading the FB page, something is wrong.

DuffyD - the bears from all the parks do indeed appear to be absolutely identical. One of the things I loved about TDS bears is that they all look different. None of them look like they came off the assembly line (hence, why I have so many lol). The US and HKDL bears have the same characteristics. Many of them look different, have slightly different faces, snout shapes, etc. If you put one bear from each park in line next to each other, you could not find any differences...except one -- their tush tags. The difference is the park name on them, but with HK it is identical "Disney Parks" tag plus a secondary tag that says HK Disneyland on it. I have an older post on my blog showing the packaging on the HK Duffy release outfits and such. When I get back home this next week, I will try to take some good photos of all three types of bears next to each other and with their tags so you guys can see.
    New Disney Blog: Pooh's Travels
    Worldwide Disney Theme Parks Examiner for Examiner.com

• Felice Natale!

Sad Re: How can Disney expect fans to love Duffy as special if they don't genuinely seem

Quote Originally Posted by updebrooke View Post
    Oh, speaking of Vinylmation, any idea on what the Duffy Vinylmations will look like? They are supposed to start showing up this month.
    I almost had the feeling that the response wasn't what they hoped for and that might not even still be happening. Keep us posted!^^

Quote Originally Posted by DBEAR View Post
    To raise prices on any of their merchandise and blame it on gas prices would simply be a joke. They charge $23-$27 on t-shirts that cost them a few dollars to make. Most pins cost less than $1 to make and they charge 7-12 times that at retail. If Disney doesn't make enough$$$ they will simply stop producing the item...I always wondered why they don't sell stuff cheaper so they can sell more. There are so many things they can do to help Duffys sell but raising prices is not one of them. I won't be surprised if Duffy is gone by 2012.
    Quote Originally Posted by Janell View Post
    I remember a few weeks ago, the news said that the price of cotton was going up...So maybe that has something to do with Duffy...
    Right on, DBEAR! Here's the thing: the great benefit of being a HUGE corporation the size of the Walt Disney Company is that you can leverage different arms of your vast operations to balance things out for the projects and properties you care about. I feel they've made it pretty clear that Duffy is NOT one of these. It has become painfully apparent to me that the only reason Duffy ever came Stateside is that they saw the money he was making in Tokyo and wanted a piece of that action. Period. The Oriental Land Company makes HUGE profits with Duffy, to be sure, but the genuine love of character and quality design shows in every release...which is why fans support it. Anything WDC does now would almost feel like placating to me; they've already shown their hand.

To be fair, though, I was looking at the Buzz Lightyear costumes on eBay (rather than the prototype which is all I'd seen), and the stitched details actually do make a nice quality difference, compared with Build-A-Bear. The "helmet" fitting properly is also a great feature. I'd actually like to have this costume. It's too bad they didn't include the shoes, though.

The Build-A-Bear version of Woody, on the other hand, is vastly superior. A more "sherriff" shaped star, a "real" plastic pullstring on the back, and better details on the bandana and jeans. Sadly, Build-A-Bear is "out of stock" on the website. I'd really check out my local BAB and pick this up now for $15 if I were interested and didn't already have it.

Quote Originally Posted by poohstraveler View Post
    ...I saw NOT ONE SINGLE Duffy Bear (besides ours) wandering around the California Adventure that day. For that matter, I barely saw Duffy the character. It's no wonder he's failing miserably at DCA when he's the character with the shortest amount of face time each day. Other characters meet-and-greet like 9am - 5pm, while poor Duffy is just out like 2x a day for like 2 hours each! WTH?
    Clearly, they expected an instant phenom, didn't get it, and aren't willing to invest in cultivating the relationship between Company, character, and fans that would create it. You're right; it's sad.

The question I am most wondering about is how this will affect Hong Kong. Remember, Hong Kong has Tokyo based pricing on the bears while they have both TDS and US Disney Parks outfits. Will Hong Kong raise their prices as well? I won't be at HKDL until the first of April so can't check any sooner than that.
    That is a very good question. Please let us know, and let us know how HK fans are responding to Duffy! Is he visible there? They seem to have integrated him into promotion rather than just marginalizing him. Is it working? Are people carrying him in the parks?

It's really sad how the US merchandising continues to focus on $$ only....

There's also a big disconnect between Disney officials. When the Head of Merchandising is finding out about Duffy release stuff by reading the FB page, something is wrong.
    Total agreement.^^

One of the things I loved about TDS bears is that they all look different. None of them look like they came off the assembly line...
    Even though they did indeed come off the assembly line at Minnie's Co-op Workshop,^^ she really does a great job of making each one feel special. I guess because everybody working there volunteers because they really love the character and want Duffy magic for themselves.

Seriously, upon writing this, I realize that the common thread among people who "get" Duffy is that they are all going to be able to understand the "magic" that Disney, at its core, is still about. The power to inspire and fill our hearts with wonder - to make us feel like kids again, unafraid to love something so cute and innocent simply because that connection makes us feel more pure and childlike ourselves. The people who understand and support Duffy are the people who love Disney's power of imagination, not just its convenience for entertaining young children. Duffy is a great opportunity for Disney to really connect with these most dedicated fans and redeem decades of missteps, but they just don't seem to understand how to position him at all, which suggests that they still don't really care about this opportunity, or this problem...or this character...or these fans.

• Future Indy Castmember

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post

Even though they did indeed come off the assembly line at Minnie's Co-op Workshop,^^ she really does a great job of making each one feel special. I guess because everybody working there volunteers because they really love the character and want Duffy magic for themselves.

Seriously, upon writing this, I realize that the common thread among people who "get" Duffy is that they are all going to be able to understand the "magic" that Disney, at its core, is still about. The power to inspire and fill our hearts with wonder - to make us feel like kids again, unafraid to love something so cute and innocent simply because that connection makes us feel more pure and childlike ourselves. The people who understand and support Duffy are the people who love Disney's power of imagination, not just its convenience for entertaining young children. Duffy is a great opportunity for Disney to really connect with these most dedicated fans and redeem decades of missteps, but they just don't seem to understand how to position him at all, which suggests that they still don't really care about this opportunity, or this problem...or this character...or these fans.
    Well said. I'm 19 years old and I really love Duffy because he reminds me of my inner child. I carry Duffy with me most of the time to the parks now and I really enjoy every moment spent with him.

What Disney should've realized is that Duffy wasn't going to be really popular from day one. Duffy is one of those things that takes time because it's a new product featuring a character that no one in the US knows about. If Disney did spent the time creating some sort of mini-campaign or promo in both DLR and WDW for Duffy, then maybe it would be really popular from day one.

As for the price raise, I know I responded to it, but i'll try to expand on that. First off, I don't know what factors could've caused them to raise them. And to say they did it for the $$ is an over-used reason in any discussion without any "solid" proof IMO. But $30 for a 17 inch duffy seems to be way too much for a toy that size which is decent enough for the standard plush price of $25. The smaller ones with the costumes should be at least $19.99. The outfits being $15 was a fair price and I saw no reason that the buzz and woody outfits need to be higher priced than the other outfits. Having the other outfits at $18 and the buzz and woody at $20 is a tad too high.

Perhaps the OLC people who created Duffy should spend a few months at both TDA and TDO so they can help expand Duffy properly to the American audience.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

• Banned User

Yea, I can confirm the prices have gone up on this side also. But the basic costumes are still marked as $15. But everything else is in line with what's happening in WDW. I am soo sad and disapointed in the company I work for. Oh Disney why don't u ever think!??!

• Banned User

I really do think the price increases are based solely on Disney making more money. Proof? Why would you raise the prices of the costumes to $18, but raise the Buzz and Woody costumes which were the same price and about the same quality to $20? Because they are character costumes, and characters always = money! That is why I am so frustrated! They have made it perfectly clear by these price increases that they see Duffy as nothing but something to make money off of. It really is a shame. I was going to purchase the Woody outfit, but even with my discount, I'd rather just get the BAB one which is much higher quality for a cheaper price.

• Wag More, Bark Less!

The price of cotton has gone up because a lot of the crops were damaged in the hard freeze last winter. This is why produce is going up as well. This is probably the reason why some companies such as Disney are raising the prices.

Do we know if Disney has raised prices only on Duffy goods? Have they raised pricing on any other selections? I'm only familiar with the pricing on Duffy goods, but can anyone confirm any recent price increases on other Disney goods?

• Banned User

I can tell u only a few other things have gone up, but that's just customary, and it's usually by a dollar or two. I haven't seen this much of a price hike since the raised the price of the 3 oz pretzel bags from $.95 to $1.95. but like I said its usually a very small price increase not as much as they've done for Duffy! This is a 20-30% price increase! That's a HUGE bump!
    Last edited by FI183; 03-02-2011 at 01:05 PM.

Wow, this is clearly a significant increase then...I'm baffled as to why Disney would do this. There's the obvious assumption that they just want to make money, but since this relatively large increase appears to be primarily, if not only, for Duffy goods, then I have no idea. I do not see that many park guests carrying Duffy around at all, maybe a couple at Epcot but that is it...makes me sad. At this point, I'd honestly much rather only support the TDS Duffy goods...the quality is far superior and therefore worth the higher prices.

• Wag More, Bark Less!

I saw 6 people with Duffys today at Epcot.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

$30 now for Duffy? What? I thought even $25 was too much but spent it anyway. But geez, they're outpricing their core audience and driving them away. Real smart. I guess they want Duffy to fail again in America.

I was planning on collecting all the holiday ones, but not anymore.

Ekk. is a good thing I got the outfits I wanted before the price raise

The Buzz one was the first I got and the Woody the last one, I got it minutes before I leaved the hotel.

When I compared the quality of the Buzz suit to the other regular ones, the quality is higher so I imaged it was just a matter of time before someone came wit a price raise.

And I thought some outfits were alredy overpriced like the mexican, french and others.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast