Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Adventures with Duffy

Re: How can Disney expect fans to love Duffy as special if they don't genuinely seem

I saw no one at DCA with a Duffy today. Other then me. I did get asked by a CM where I got Duffys outfit he had on today. I said it came from Tokyo. He was warring the zip up hood from the swim suite set and blue pants for 2010 winter coat set. The CM said it was really cute. Which I have to say I agree. Its one of my favorites.

So I went to all three stores that sell Duffy items. Only two of the stores had Woody and Buzz and both had the higher price. In fact the only item that had the old prices was the Disney Baseball shirt and Hat. (so I picked it up, because I don't want it later and have to pay the higher price) What I found odd was there is two sets of t-shirt and hat. One is the Baseball one and the other is My first Trip to DCA. The DCA set was up prices to $18.00 where the Baseball set was still at the $15.00. They are the same thing, a hat and shirt. Why DCA is $3.00 more I'll never know.

I noticed that Disney has put a price tag sticker with new price bar code over the old price bar code that was printed on the packaging. So its not like Disney is getting new items with new bar codes already on the packaging. So Im thinking why are they raising the price on items they already had? I can see if they are paying more for the item or gas to get it to the parks. Passing that long to the guest. Disney is big enough they can do that. (little companies would go out of business more likely if they did this all the time) I find this disappointing. I can understand their cost going up and passing it along. But to me it doesn't look like that is the case. It think they want more money just because they want it. Sad to do that to a character they are trying to launch?

Im not really sure what the cost of other items are. I did see an adult t-shirt for $24.99. I think I bought an Epcot on in Aug 2010 for $22.00. So I wonder if other items are on the raise. As I am writing this, I think I remember thinking the cost of a hat had gone up a few months ago. So maybe items are on the raise. I don't think that is a wise move as the economy is still not good and its hard enough for families to afford a day at a Disney Park or even a vacation. What is sad is Disney may not realize that things aren't selling due to the economy and their pricing and they may pull items and no longer offer then even when the economy is doing well. Oh well hopefully they learn.

• Banned User

Re: How can Disney expect fans to love Duffy as special if they don't genuinely seem

Ok, I got the nonofficial word, or official word, on why the prices were raised. SCALPERS! That's right. It seems MOST of Duffys sales are from people who are buying loads of them and selling them on Ebay for inflated prices. So whats their solution? Raise prices. If they're going to charge more for an item, they figure they should make more profit on it also. Is it fair? HELL NO! Is there a better solution? YES! But to them this is the easiest solution to fight off scalpers and get more money in the long run. It really is sad. And Janell, not all the costumes have the new prices yet, but all the costumes will be raised to $18. It really is an arduous task to change all the prices that lands on us(Back of House), so it takes a while to have all items prices the same, but some of the costumes have either a new price sticker or the prices is just simply blacked out until we get new shipments that will have the new prices already printed on them.

Quote Originally Posted by updebrooke View Post
    I saw 6 people with Duffys today at Epcot.
    The most Duffy bears I've seen in one day is three...

Quote Originally Posted by FutureImagineer183 View Post
    Ok, I got the nonofficial word, or official word, on why the prices were raised. SCALPERS! That's right. It seems MOST of Duffys sales are from people who are buying loads of them and selling them on Ebay for inflated prices. So whats their solution? Raise prices. If they're going to charge more for an item, they figure they should make more profit on it also. Is it fair? HELL NO! Is there a better solution? YES! But to them this is the easiest solution to fight off scalpers and get more money in the long run. It really is sad. And Janell, not all the costumes have the new prices yet, but all the costumes will be raised to $18. It really is an arduous task to change all the prices that lands on us(Back of House), so it takes a while to have all items prices the same, but some of the costumes have either a new price sticker or the prices is just simply blacked out until we get new shipments that will have the new prices already printed on them.
    That makes me sad...

Ooops...double post...sorry!
    Last edited by WDW486; 03-03-2011 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Double post

• Wag More, Bark Less!

I don't believe that is the reason why they increased the prices. That is false. The reason is because the people who are making the Duffys are charging Disney more so Disney has to raise the prices. It's not Disney, it's the people who are making the Duffys. They are the ones who are the scalpers.

• Adventures with Duffy

FutureImagineer183, thanks for the info. I wish I could have found more then the one costume yesterday at the old prices. Oh well. I'm sure it's a lot of work to changes the prices. The bar code isn't in the best spot on some of the costumes, like Buzz.

I'm really hurt and pissed off at Disney for this. Scalpers???? Really???? You are going to raise the price on an item because someone is selling it for higher on eBay? Why not limit how many of an item a person can buy at a time? Try something eles before raising the price which will kill Duffy in the state parks. What a bunch of dummies.

I'm now seeing what others have said about Fisney for years. Greed!!! They are doing this. They are thinking of changing their hotel resgistration to a stupid f... up system. Which I will not be a part off after spending the last 25 years on New Years at the resort. Plus staying at the resort other times during the year. I mo longer buy their crap merchandise because it's no good at a high price. I saw yesterday in a window a cute new little bag in DCA. I went inside the store to find it. When I found it, it was cute but I thought as time went buy the decal which is what makes it cute. Will rub off. Had it been stitched on, they would have had a sale. Oh well Disney I keep my money and you keep your product.

I guess we can wait a while, they will discount Duffy at Charicter Warehouse and we can get him for the last time in the states on discount. I can't see Duffy lasting at these prices with poor quality.

I feel sorry for the next generations. I loved Disneyland. It was a great place to go. Now it's all about getting the money in the guest pockets for the least amount of effort and quality. So sad. I wonder if locals to WDW feel the same? I'm still guessing the WDW does have some value. More parks, higher quality of places to eat and they get more money and better designs then DLR.

Wake up Disney. Right now LAX to NRT $799.00. In peak season $1200-1400(is what I've found). TDR tickets are cheaper the WDW and DLR. And the more people go, the more TR there are, the more affordable hotels in Tokyo are found, more guest who will travel.

To OLC keep designing great things. More people headed your way.

I think what angers me the most is all these high prices high profit and what the guest gets. The guest doesn't get the great experience as they did 10-20 years ago. The shows they offer today aren't the best, they are cheap. Food locations at DLR suck compaied to WDW. They are cheap and not taste. But the guest sure pays s high prices for them. New innovative attractions don't come to DLR often. And don't think the redo of DCA counts as new attractions. It's not the guest fault you build a cheap park in the first place. Where is the value? I don't mind paying top dollar for something if it has good value.

It's so sad to watch this all go down. I was the little girl who loved Disney. Dreamed of working there, which I did and it was great. Dreamed of a Disney wedding which I did have. Had to go to WDW to beable to afford it but that is ok. Now I dream of sharing Disney with my kids. I like to not have to tell them that we can't afford to go because Disney has priced them selves out.

• Munchings & Crunchings

That seems like a very lame excuse. Shouldn't the first thing you do to prevent "scalpers" is limit the quantity you can buy? Come on, the people showing up early in the morning buying 25 bears at a time doesn't tip you off to limit them? Instead, let's raise the prices and punish people who might not be scalpers. I think it all boils down to greed, and they just need to make up some dumb excuse to rationalize it to guests. I don't have an MBA, but it doesn't take one to figure out how to prevent scalping...

Quote Originally Posted by updebrooke View Post
    I don't believe that is the reason why they increased the prices. That is false. The reason is because the people who are making the Duffys are charging Disney more so Disney has to raise the prices. It's not Disney, it's the people who are making the Duffys. They are the ones who are the scalpers.
    Are you sure about this? Since the factory (at least for the plush bears) is the same one TDR uses, why would they be charging Disney more and let OLC slide? The prices haven't gone up at TDR.

• Banned User

^yea it has nothing to do with production. Cotton isn't even a factor. Check your Duffy bear tags, he's all parts polyester. Same with the costumes. This price increase is OBVIOUSLY just for greed and nothing more. It really is a shame. I saw some guests looking at Duffy and how cute he was(today) and as soon as they saw the price, they put him down without a thought and just left. Another Duffy lover lost over greed...

• 秘密のヘルツ

^yea it has nothing to do with production. Cotton isn't even a factor. Check your Duffy bear tags, he's all parts polyester. Same with the costumes. This price increase is OBVIOUSLY just for greed and nothing more. It really is a shame. I saw some guests looking at Duffy and how cute he was(today) and as soon as they saw the price, they put him down without a thought and just left. Another Duffy lover lost over greed...
    It's sad but true... I wanted a Duffy for YEARS before they were in the U.S. parks, and finally when I got him in my hands I really, really had to think about spending $25 for a teddy bear. It's not that I don't want to spend the money... It's that I'm really poor. I make $200 a month and most of that goes to food, etc. Luckily I am not the main breadwinner in the house, and I don't spend that much money... But $25 is not a small amount of cash for me.

I did end up buying my Duffy, and I sleep with him every night (I don't care if it's silly!) cuz he's so soft and adorable. But I literally sat on the bench outside the store and thought about it for about 15 minutes before I went through and bought him. I shouldn't HAVE to think that hard.

For the record, I think if he was sold for $15 or even $20, he'd be flying off the shelves. I certainly wouldn't have thought twice if he was $15. It's a really good price point for things.

Edit: I mean, if Disney wants Duffy to be a luxury item, then that's different... but they need to make it clear that he is one. $25 is a weird price that just seems too expensive for a somewhat puzzling toy (i.e. I knew about his Tokyo fame, but hardly anyone will). If Duffy is really special and Disney wants people to think so, it would probably be wise to charge even more than $25.

Not that I know anything about this sort of thing. Just thinking outloud.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

^^ I was talking to my dad about Duffy not too long ago (my mom has the Valentines/Cupid one) and we both agreed $25 is too much. $15 sounds much more reasonable for what is really, just a teddy bear you can dress up. You can can get bears that are just as cute and even better quality at Build-A-Bear for much less.

I buy my Duffy's clothes at... Build-A-Bear. Why? Cheaper, better material quality and I can mix and match outfits & accessories.

Oh and last month when I was at Downtown Disney at WDW to get a St Patrick's Day Duffy, I saw a trio of Japanese tourists looking at the different Duffys (the holiday ones & the WDW 40th Anniversary one). I happened to glance over and the girl was wearing a little plushy Shellie Mae purse thingy! I gasped and pointed and said, "SHELLIE MAE!" She got excited I knew Shellie Mae, then her companion showed me he had a matching Duffy purse thingy, which I thought was cool. Was neat to see some Tokyo Duffy stuff in person like that.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Quote Originally Posted by jupitertronic View Post
    …It's not that I don't want to spend the money... It's that I'm really poor. I make $200 a month and most of that goes to food, etc…

I did end up buying my Duffy, and I sleep with him every night (I don't care if it's silly!) cuz he's so soft and adorable. But I literally sat on the bench outside the store and thought about it for about 15 minutes before I went through and bought him. I shouldn't HAVE to think that hard.

For the record, I think if he was sold for $15 or even $20, he'd be flying off the shelves. I certainly wouldn't have thought twice if he was $15. It's a really good price point for things…
    Let me clear the record a bit here, too. I never meant that Duffy should be expensive for the sake of being expensive or for luxury status or anything like anything like that. I grew up poor, and I earn in the first or second range on every income level form I've ever filled out. It's hard not to see myself as "poor" even now, although the fact that I've ever been to a Disney park or can write this on my laptop or iPhone or can afford either to buy or spend this much time talking about or even thinking about a mass-produced product of any kind, I know means that that mine is a life of obscene luxury, especially when compared with the truly impoverished of this world. So, when I say "Duffy is not for cheap people," please PLEASE don't misunderstand. I absolutely do NOT mean Duffy is for wealthy people. Nothing of the kind. Duffy would hate that, I think.

When I say Duffy is a luxury item, what I mean is that a "product" so apparently "useless," especially one that has fairly similar and far cheaper alternatives commonly found elsewhere, becomes something greater than the sum of its parts when it's created with an unnecessarily high level of care and craftsmanship and stewarded by someone who truly appreciates its artistry. Paying for luxury like this is like an offering. Whether to a loved one or for ourselves, it is a sign that the recepient deserves nothing less than the absolute best love we can display. Since the archetypical function of teddy bears has been unconditional love for generations, Duffy is exceptionally good at this. Add to that the entire scope of the Disney park experience, all the awe and respect for WDI, plus the ageless nostalgia for Disney and that same fictional world which held nostalgia for Walt (which is precisely where Duffy comes from when you buy him in McDuck's or Aunt Peg's), and you have "purposeless" item that has the potential to fulfill a great purpose, as both a genuinely precious gift (to yourself or someone else), or as a symbol of the faith between a company of great artists with loving, lofty visions and the connoisseurs of their work — both of whom respect this truly magical legacy in the history of American art and the fabric of our culture. Oops…I guess that was two purposes.^^

There were two possible marketing strategies: a) offer designs and products with wide appeal at prices that are likely to have mainstream success or b) offer high-quality, highly creative designs tailored toward a segment you know will these products enough to pay luxury prices. But Disney bypassed the luxury path out of the gate, selling Duffy and his accompanying goods at half the price of TDS, less than half the quality, almost none of the sincerity, and completely missing the mark. While I think it was wiser to go for the larger market rather than trust themselves to deeply understand Duffy's core audience, I think there were a lot of missed opportunities to create a better experience for potential buyers. Though I like all the suitcase and travel shop displays, my overall impression of the US shops is that they look more like Galleria Disney than McDuck's or Aunt Peg's. He has a greeting gazebo, but no "home." All the stuff is all available all the time in piles and piles that say, "Buy Me!" rather than facing front on shelves that must constantly be tended, straightened and restocked, calling out, "Take me home."

That there are US Duffy fans with hearts to see through this to the real potential of Duffy is wonderful!^^ I wonder, though, how many of the people who carry Duffy in the parks don't know about Tokyo Duffy? I'm guessing few.

In the US, the luxury concept was, as I said, scrapped out of the gate. What should have replaced it was a "Duffy for everybody!" campaign. I think, actually, this is what they were going for, but they missed so many beats… They should have given away Duffy straps (or at least a freaking sticker or something) to people who guessed Duffy's location on Facebook. It sort of feels like someone probly did suggest that and got shot down. And you're right; Duffy should have been $15. It's true, at that price point it's far enough away from $20 that there is almost literally no critical debate I'd imagine for most people. You've seen it; it's "hot" right now. Your kid wants it or you think it's cute so you just get it. $16 is the max for this. High school kids on dates can even sometimes afford that — maybe — but it's still enough to be an impressive gift. Once we get to $17, that's like $20 and we start thinking of meals and clothing, awakening exactly that part of the brain that both we and WDC want to "tune out" in the theme parks.

More than this, though, "Duffy for everybody!" should have been about bringing people together, making Disney fandom visible as a real community with Duffy strap mascots, and celebrating the Company's bold admission that they had created the Disney Bear as a marketing ploy but had been genuinely moved by the way Tokyo audiences sincerely connected with this character, valued it, learned from it, and wanted a clear rallying symbol of a new vision for the future. Sadly, it feels now like reality is pretty much precisely the opposite of all that.

The thing is, Tokyo Duffy is ~both~. He is an extremely high quality luxury item that at this point almost literally everyone has in the park, at least at TDS. That was never gonna happen in the US at Tokyo prices, but I'm still convinced the profit margin for Duffy in the US is too high. Not only that, it's apparent that the design team there is just phoning it in; none of Duffy's outfits screams impressive originality. I don't think it's cos they can't do it; do you? There need to be people making decisions about Duffy who actually love the character. He doesn't have to fail. Two years ago, he was still mostly at TDS. He's very common at TDL, too, now. But he's not just there; he's everywhere. Because in Japan, the measure of Duffy's success genuinely seems to be about how much he is loved rather than how much he sells and how cheaply he can be made to turn the biggest profit. When that trust is there, people will pay for it. And when everyone is sharing the luxury (and the Disney magic), it feels really, really good.^^
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 03-03-2011 at 04:30 PM.

I've received the same type of response at WDW about the price hike. Most of the sales are coming from resellers and Asian guests. They think that if something is selling at $30 on Ebay then they can get that in the stores. I won't use the term scalper because there has to be a shortage in an item to scalp it at a higher price. There is no reason to limit quantities if anyone could buy 500 in one day throughout the parks and still leave many on the shelves. The regular US guest is not buying Duffy so Disney is trying to pinch every penny out of the resellers and Japanese guests. If you check Ebay then you'll see that Duffy isn't selling well enough to make a return profit on the new higher prices. So now Disney has no regular guests buying Duffy and probably no resellers either. I really didn't think Disney was this stupid, but they proved me wrong. They have killed of Duffy in less than 6 months. You raise prices if there is a SHORTAGE in product, not if you have piles in each store. I don't know if it is greed or stupidity, maybe both this time.

• Adventures with Duffy

I should have paid more attention yesterday when I was in the stores. I do remember in the one store, by Duffy meet and greet. It was the only place where other guest were looking at Duffy. I was the only one in the store buy anything Duffy. Sad to see.

I have read on other web boards, that people just don't like Duffy. Even when I have linked them to the back story that is on this web board. They think he is just shoved into their face as something to spend money on. That he isn't spacial. Just some bear with a mickey on his face. So sad. But it maybe why Duffy wont make it here in the states. No movie attached to him. At least he has a home in Japan and maybe he picked up a few friends in his journey to the states.

• Future Indy Castmember

Quote Originally Posted by Janell View Post
    I should have paid more attention yesterday when I was in the stores. I do remember in the one store, by Duffy meet and greet. It was the only place where other guest were looking at Duffy. I was the only one in the store buy anything Duffy. Sad to see.

I have read on other web boards, that people just don't like Duffy. Even when I have linked them to the back story that is on this web board. They think he is just shoved into their face as something to spend money on. That he isn't spacial. Just some bear with a mickey on his face. So sad. But it maybe why Duffy wont make it here in the states. No movie attached to him. At least he has a home in Japan and maybe he picked up a few friends in his journey to the states.
    Thats how I feel when I'm at Treasures in Paradise. Each time i'm there, i'm like the only one that looks at (and buy) the Duffy merch. But I do try to explain to others about Duffy whenever I can and I have my Duffy poking out of my backpack while at DCA.

Higher prices when they have so many Duffys to sell seems to be a premature move and should've been done when the sales went up. Not when they are starting to pick up.

I'm just prepared to send a letter to Disney regarding their move to raise the prices on Duffy. Not sure if it'll change things but it will let them know of my distate of the price raise.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast