Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• i heart plunging v-necks

Re: Duffy is so fluffing awesome that he needs a BRAND NEW greeting spot!^^

I want those outfits in the Friends of Duffy Costume Parade window display.

last time i buy crystal ball from pic n save!

Quote Originally Posted by malice View Post
    I want those outfits in the Friends of Duffy Costume Parade window display.
    Over 300 fresh pics of the new Village Greeting Place coming soon to DuffyClo... I say "soon," but it may mean "after getting all the DuffyPost WishListers' stuff mailed out!" Too many fires on the stove!^^

Thumbs up Re: Duffy is so fluffing awesome that he needs a BRAND NEW greeting spot!^^

Updated DuffyClo with 270 photos of Duffy's Village Greeting Place! You know, if I had more than nine members on my blog, I might update more often. Show some support, gang!^^

Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 07-25-2011 at 10:33 PM.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Wow, thanks! I'm a follower already, so I can't do it twice, LOL! I'm going over now to look at all the pictures.

---------- Post added 07-26-2011 at 10:57 AM ----------

Aw, it's not working for me. The slideshow is just blank. I don't know if it's on my end or what. Can anybody else see it?

So that's why no one's excited! I think I fixed it! Please try again and lemme know!^^

• Munchings & Crunchings

Wow, so much detail! Although I'm laughing at the "We are all daffy for Duffy" sign. The fact that imagineering went to such lengths to tie everything in so well for Duffy is amazing. I don't know if they got actual postcards from the different countries and reproduced them, or if they created their own based on what they thought historical postcards would look like. Either way, it adds authenticity to it. I love all the photos with Duffy. They obviously photoshopped him in there, but still, very cute. I like the ones where the men are holding Duffy.

---------- Post added 07-26-2011 at 11:43 AM ----------

I also know that I would love to own some of these decorations myself!!

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    Wow, so much detail!...The fact that imagineering went to such lengths to tie everything in so well for Duffy is amazing...
    That's what impressed me, too. What this "greeting spot"/attraction did for me was to really create the world where Duffy means what I've always believed Duffy means. I've never seen any other character seem so well integrated into our real world and such a beautiful vision of our unity. It's just absolutely stunning to see in person. I tried to include varied perspectives and distances to create the illusion of "looking around," but honestly, for Duffy fans, coming to Cape Cod is now a very big deal. I would for us to plan a D-STARs meet here, but I may leave in 2013, so we'd need to think soon...

One of the reasons the VGP works so well is that you can get so close to everything, you can really touch and immerse yourself in a world where Duffy has historically brought people together. And then you walk around Cape Cod and the rest of the park (and Japan), and you see Duffy everywhere and it feels real. The illusion lasts longer and has a much broader scope than the duration of the queue.

Also, the way it is integrated with the Transit Steamer is just incredible! I tried to take some photos to capture that energy, but it really wasn't possible to represent accurately. It's so quiet and peaceful in the line (for now), but then when the boat comes, all the people waiting for it move towards the dock and there's the feeling of a bustling port. The smell of the water, the breeze, the sound of chatting and the steam whistle blowing - all these elements come together to create an experience of the energy that Duffy truly embodies that I honestly don't know how to put into words. It is an astonishing experience, and a fantastic achievement for Walt Disney Imagineering.

I don't know if they got actual postcards from the different countries and reproduced them, or if they created their own based on what they thought historical postcards would look like.... They obviously photoshopped him in there...
    This is one of the most interesting questions to me! Did they a) edit Duffy's image into existing photographs or b) stage all of the photographs with models in period costumes and process the photos to make them look vintage? I think it may even be a mixture of both. However they did it, they really pulled it off. It feels like Duffy is and has been for many years, the world's greatest ambassador of love.

I like the ones where the men are holding Duffy...
    Of course we do! Gives credence to the maxim that "Real Men Duffy!"^^

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Wow, that's pretty awesome. I love how the photos make it look like Duffy has been around for like 100 years.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    That's what impressed me, too. What this "greeting spot"/attraction did for me was to really create the world where Duffy means what I've always believed Duffy means. I've never seen any other character seem so well integrated into our real world and such a beautiful vision of our unity. It's just absolutely stunning to see in person. I tried to include varied perspectives and distances to create the illusion of "looking around," but honestly, for Duffy fans, coming to Cape Cod is now a very big deal. I would for us to plan a D-STARs meet here, but I may leave in 2013, so we'd need to think soon...
    Nothing against what they did in DCA and EPCOT for the Duffy greeting spots, but they just can't compare. It's not even close. In the American parks, yes, the spots are cute, but they basically took the existing artwork and threw in some nautical decorations (in DCA's case) and that was it. I will admit that they did a good job. However, the amount of work that went into creating all of the tiny details for the TDS Village Greeting Place goes above and beyond that. Somebody, or a team of "somebodies" had to create the authentic photos and props. Obvious attention to historical accuracy, and detail was paid. I looked over each photo and couldn't find a cheap throwaway item, or a mistake. Somebody loved Duffy, and made sure to take extra care to tie him in authentically to not only Cape Cod at TDS, but the real Cape Cod. It's like the land and the real place are tied together by Duffy.

Man, I sure would love to do a D-STARS meet at TDS! I have no idea if it's feasible for me, but I sure would love it. I have no idea how expensive it would be either. However, it would be an amazing trip for me.

One of the reasons the VGP works so well is that you can get so close to everything, you can really touch and immerse yourself in a world where Duffy has historically brought people together. And then you walk around Cape Cod and the rest of the park (and Japan), and you see Duffy everywhere and it feels real. The illusion lasts longer and has a much broader scope than the duration of the queue.
    That's so cool that they integrated it so well into an existing space. The fact that Duffy is now ubiquitous outside of the parks really is amazing. It's probably impossible to recreate here, but I feel like there is some kind of momentum. I will say that if the US Duffy teams were to pay as much attention to detail as they do at TDS, then it would happen.

Also, the way it is integrated with the Transit Steamer is just incredible! I tried to take some photos to capture that energy, but it really wasn't possible to represent accurately. It's so quiet and peaceful in the line (for now), but then when the boat comes, all the people waiting for it move towards the dock and there's the feeling of a bustling port. The smell of the water, the breeze, the sound of chatting and the steam whistle blowing - all these elements come together to create an experience of the energy that Duffy truly embodies that I honestly don't know how to put into words. It is an astonishing experience, and a fantastic achievement for Walt Disney Imagineering.
    LOVE that! I can't tell you how much more interesting that kinetic energy makes the Disney experience. The fact that things are happening around you while you are doing something else just breathes life into it. You can imagine the real thing, and sometimes it is the real thing. People are really using the ships for transport, and it's easy to get lost in that hustle and bustle. It's why I love being at Disneyland and standing in New Orleans Square while the train is pulling into the station while at the same time, the Mark Twain is on the river. They will sometimes blow the whistles to each other. Tomorrowland used to be like that with many vehicles moving independently throughout the land, but it's not quite as lively these days.

Getting back to Duffy's greeting spot though, I'm happy they incorporated it into the Transit Steamer Line because that just adds another level to it, and it's not something tucked away in a quiet corner where you can't see anything. I think Mickey's house suffers from that a bit, because it's all sealed away. Although that one has a "working" film set, so there is stuff to look at. Still, I'm happy to hear about all the activity around Duffy.

This is one of the most interesting questions to me! Did they a) edit Duffy's image into existing photographs or b) stage all of the photographs with models in period costumes and process the photos to make them look vintage? I think it may even be a mixture of both. However they did it, they really pulled it off. It feels like Duffy is and has been for many years, the world's greatest ambassador of love.
    I thought of that too. Many of the photos look genuine, and as I was looking at them, I tried to see if Duffy was just inserted, and if the shadowing and placement was authentic. It would have been pretty expensive to recreate all of those, so I'm guessing it is real photos with Duffy added in. Still, that means lots of research, and editing, so it's still a lot of work. It also really does add to Duffy's mystique, and the fact he could have been there for a century is even more endearing. I mean, they have President Teddy Roosevelt visiting, and the fact that Scrooge McDuck can live alongside him, and sign the same guest book, it just makes things more compelling.

Of course we do! Gives credence to the maxim that "Real Men Duffy!"^^
    LOL, yup! I should totally use that quote. More men need to love Duffy, it's ok, we can all embrace our softer side. Wouldn't it be amazing to have a real "Village picnic and games"? I would love to do that in Central Park, but there aren't enough Duffy fans here in NYC to do that, I don't think.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12