• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

What is it about Duffy that makes him "one special teddy bear?"

I've written quite a lot about this over the years, but for me I think it is primarily the way he combines so many elements of the Japanese Disney culture - careful attention to quality detail, ridiculously marvelous levels of unnecessary indulgence, unabashed-yet-sophisticated branding, stylish fashion, a spoonful of sweet and a cupful of cute - into one adorable huggable whole.

Nah...it's about a million other things, too! What makes Duffy so unique to you?

• North American Duffeteer

Re: What is it about Duffy that makes him "one special teddy bear?"

All I can say is that you can create his own personality. What he likes and what he hates, for example.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

• Wag More, Bark Less!

I like the fact that he represents traveling around the world and you can take pictures with him on those travels. He's just so darn cute!!

• Surfin the net with Duffy

There are so many things.

-Create his own personality
    -World traveler
    -Mickey's Teddy Bear(I adore the story line)
    -He is so dang adorable
    -love buying him new clothes(he loves new stuff)

When I travel anywhere he goes along with me, and it is great to have him around when I am in a different city. He is pretty much family to me!

We also consider Duffy Japanese, and since we adore the Japanese culture he is even more special to us. I know my roommate and I sound crazy!

Ok that is for now, need to quit embarassing myself!

We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

• ~*Princess*~

updebrooke kind of said most of it for me. I have always loved traveling--it's been my dream to travel around the world so that kind of spirit in a teddy bear means a lot to me.
    I also love teddy bears and just being able to dress them up and think of personalities and stories is a lot to me.

And considering I grew up with Disney, just all of this mixed together is just a giant collaboration of awesome because it's really mixed with a lot of things I adore.

I'm pretty photo-shy personally, but I actually love looking at and taking photos of other things so Duffy also kind of helps me express that too <3 I'm hoping when I go back to Disney next time to be able to take pictures of my bears at all the spots

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

I actually never had a teddy bear thing before Duffy, but I've done a lot of research into the history and culture in the past few years. It really is fascinating, and it really is an art form and a culture.

After reading everyone else's, I'm afraid my original one sounds overly Japanese-centric. I know I often harp on the Japanese legacy of Duffy. It's because I think it's important that the Japanese artists and fans be remembered within the Duffy community. While Disney Parks Blog credits American artists like Monty Maldovan, Megan Kachur and Donald Ferro by name, and both Matt Whitlock (author) and Michael Sullivan (illustrator) were both credited in the hardcover edition of the old (failed) version of the "Disney Bear" storybook; Japanese (probably?) illustrators, outfit designers and storytellers have never received any kind of public recognition for their incredible contributions which really formed the bedrock of the character's ultimate success. To this day, we don't even know who they are. I think it's sad if fans forget or never even hear that Duffy as he exists today absolutely depended on and was born from Japan and the Oriental Land Company and its team of unsung talents. Of course, since we really don't know, the Tokyo designs and stories could even be produced by American creatives... I'd be very surprised, though, if that's been the case. I wish all of the people who have played a role in naming him and making him who he is were being acknowledged, whether they work directly for the Mouse or its esteemed licensee. This is especially true for the artists who created the name, new backstory, new artwork and costumes that actually made the concept work; they deserve our accolades and respect. It seems un-Duffy not to celebrate the Japanese creative team (if one exists...and I strongly suspect it does).

That said, after seeing everyone else's posts, I remember that the thing that originally drew me to Duffy is that he was a character who could truly be a blank slate for all my projections. More than any other Disney character, each Duffy is whoever and whatever each Tender needs him to be. That's his "special sauce."^^

I had a thought today, while hanging laundry, that I'd like to share along these lines. This is what Duffy means to me: Duffy's mission, like most teddy bears, is to release people from doubt, fear, hesitation, judgment and habits of negativity or unkindness. Duffy opens us to the softest, warmest, gentlest spaces in our hearts and imaginations. Duffy removes everything that keeps us from shining as D-STARs. Teddy bear magic is comfort and compassion. Disney magic is adventure and romance, and light winning the day. Both are about the power of craftsmanship and artistry to transform our hearts and our lives. Duffy brings love that is unconditional and unlimited, but only through our own power to imagine him this way, and to use our own sources of unconditional and unlimited love. It is an innocent love that we all have and all share, and the more you believe in Duffy, the more he believes in you, and the more real this love is. The more love you bring, the more love he brings, and the more love there is in the world. For me, Duffy is more than a character; he is also a symbol. Duffy is about not being afraid of this kind of mushy cheesy extremely deep and difficult to manifest sentimentality spirit, and putting as much of it out into the world as we can bear.^^ I just this character so much!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

My Duffy is all about having fun.

• Adventures with Duffy

For me Duffy represents a trip of a live time to see TDR. He is so loved by the Japanese and in 2008, Duffy wasn't in the states so he was special. I am glad he is in the states so that more people can find out about him. I wish Disney did a better job with his story line, but what can you do? lol

I love the Duffy is all about travel and you can take him with you. He is so cute and fun to dress up for fun photos.

I tend to love Disney items that don't scream disney. Items that you need to know the story line to understand what something is and why its so cool. Duffy is that. He looks like a normal bear, with some Mickeys on him. But there is so much more to him if you know the story and I love that.

D
    uffeteer
    Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics

• Wag More, Bark Less!

I have kind of a sad story but kind of good too. One of my good friend's Dad just passed away. His parents have been together for almost 50 years. He bought her the 28" Duffy to hold and hug at night since she has no one there with her now. At first she didn't care for Duffy but when she saw how big and fluffy Duffy was she was in love. She even talks to him at night and he sits in her husband's chair.

• Surfin the net with Duffy

awww that is so sweet!

We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Wow, these just get better and better with awesome personal stories! updebrooke, that really touched my heart. Janell, I agree with you about not screaming Disney. Duffy really is unique in that he totally doesn't and totally does, both at the same time. I the personal stories!^^

• Adventures with Duffy

updebrooke, that is such a sweet story. Its nice that Duffy brings comfort when someone looses someone they love. I lost my mom in September and Duffy has been great help. She love Duffy a lot and we use to take them to DLR before he was there. The only people who knew him were tourist from Japan. It was funny, they say Duffy and point. We try to chat as much as one can when we don't speak the same language. It was great.

D
    uffeteer
    Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics