Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom Outfits

• ~*Princess*~

Custom Outfits

I'm just curious--what do people think of them? Would you ever get them for your Duffy/Shellie May? Have you ever made a custom outfit yourself?

I always see them while browsing Yahoo! Japan so I was curious what the opinion was here.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Re: Custom Outfits

I think it was the backbone of the Duffy fan community even before OLC started releasing so many high quality official outfits, and it still plays a major role in generating energy among fans. I would love to see this develop more around the world, perhaps on Etsy or something. Duffy fandom in Japan has a highly creative element that is greatly valued. Sadly, I have no sewing skills; my "custom outfits" are mix-n-match.

• ~*Princess*~

I really love looking through them. I love seeing what they come up with and the quality is amazing. I had gotten one outfit a while back that my dad decided to give me money for and it's just adorable. Actually, let me see if the auction pictures are still up *checks* Yep! Still up:

Made by this talented person

I love everything about it and the price was definitely worth it. (Though, the bidding service site ended up having me pay an extra 6000 yen in fees. -___- There's something ridiculous about having to pay more than the outfit price in fees)

I think that's one of my favorite things though when it comes to these kind of fandoms--just seeing the creativity that people use to make such beautiful things. Heck, I saw a pink detective outfit recently that is just all kinds of awesome:

(How I wish I could get it XD)

I'm hoping when Duffy gets more popular here (seriously, if he doesn't, I will be surprised), outfits will pop-up on Etsy or even on Ebay. It's not too common to see custom outfits for stuffed animals (I see some for Build a Bear occasionally), despite them being pretty common when it comes to doll fandoms, but just with how Duffy is, I'd like to think that'd motivate people to want to make custom outfits.

I also can't sew so I understand how that can feel XD It's especially frustrating as I have a lot of ideas too! I'd like to try and ask someone I know that can sew (I know quite a few people), but my shyness tends to get in the way of that. Mixing and matching can be fun though I have to do it often, personally, due to the fact that my sister also has a Duffy.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Wow those are great!

I can't sew to save my life, but my aunt makes really awesome doll clothes (she makes a lot that fir the American Girl dolls)... I wonder if I could talk her into making something for my Duffy sometime. I just got my mom a Duffy of her own for Mother's Day & my aunt can use him for measurements.

• Adventures with Duffy

Those are very cute. I like the shoes. I have been working slowly on some clothing for Duffy. Im not that good at making clothing so its trial and error at the moment. lol

D
    uffeteer
    Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics

Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

• ~*Princess*~

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Wow those are great!

I can't sew to save my life, but my aunt makes really awesome doll clothes (she makes a lot that fir the American Girl dolls)... I wonder if I could talk her into making something for my Duffy sometime. I just got my mom a Duffy of her own for Mother's Day & my aunt can use him for measurements.
    You should ask her Maybe she can help make Duffy custom clothing because a bit more common outside Japan! :P

Janell - Yeah--and while I can't say much on the second (as I don't have it XD), the first one feels so nice and soft and it's just so pretty. I wish you good luck! I hope you show us how your trial and error goes.

• Surfin the net with Duffy

I wouldn't even know how to thread a needle, but I LOVE the outfits in the 2011 TDS Calender. I want this month's outfit especially!

We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

• Banned User

I've also been sewing more and more, I got me a nice sewing machine at a goodwill for only $25 to hold me over while I save up for a better one! It really is trial and error. I'll start making an outfit, and then realize I sewed the fabric inside out, so I'd have to rip the seams and do it again! LOL It's mostly cause I have a really hard time thinking opposite, but I'm starting to get better. And watching videos on youtube helps too! I'm learning cool tips and tricks and even want to start making dresses! The videos make it look easy LOL! But I just don't have enough time! Sewing really takes up a lot of time! Thats why I want to start taking classes so I can get better and have a set time for sewing! I also have some great ideas and am trying to translate those into costumes! It's a long process and I hope to share my results with all of you!

• Adventures with Duffy

Great idea of looking on you tube for help videos. Thanks for the tip. Yeah sewing can take up a lot of time. I tent to watch movies or catch up on shows while I sew.

The 2011 TDS calendar has Duffy costumes in it? Would you be willing to post photos of it? I love to see what they are going to offer this year.

D
    uffeteer

i would really like to practice sewing and try to make custom outfits for duffy!

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Quote Originally Posted by Janell View Post
    ...The 2011 TDS calendar has Duffy costumes in it? Would you be willing to post photos of it? I love to see what they are going to offer this year.
    Duffy takes December in the 2011 Tokyo Disney Resort calendar, but it's just the classic knit Christmas sweater; it's not a new costume. Travis, are you holding out on us?!

Check out the photos at the Toy Shop blog!

Wait...are you talking about this?
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 04-13-2011 at 05:35 PM.

Oh I do hope they offer those outfits!!, so cute!

• Adventures with Duffy

Thanks DuffyD. I take it that those don't show what costumes come out? I wish they were, they look very cute.

D
    uffeteer

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Resurrecting this thread from the dead!

I talked to my aunt who makes the doll clothes last night and asked if she could make versions of some of the Duffy & Shellie May costumes that have been available in the past and sent her some photos (the Sweet Duffy cafe costumes and the Heartful Sailor costumes to start). She thought they were cute and said she probably could do something similar but not exact due to copyright laws, which is totally understandable. She said she can't work on anything for me until August as she has other commissions to finish first, which is fine with me. I told her she can use my mom's Duffy for measurements (they live down the street from each other). Can't wait to see what she comes up with and I will definitely take photos once everything is done.

• ~*Princess*~

You could actually probably have her do exact since they're just for you and she isn't selling them.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast