Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: What did poor Duffy do to deserve this?

Yea, I would say this is art and that it's her first time so we should be nice, but then you see the copyright thing and the price and that just comes off as someone who is very arrogant and is trying to make a buck! Illegal to reproduce?!?! You are modifying a copyrighted character, isn't that enough to get her sued? idk, to me it just comes off as someone trying to make money. that dye job is just BAD! It's so splotchy and uneven. And she's obviously done this more than once. I just feel sorry for the ppl biding thinking this actually look worth paying over $100 for!

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering View Post
    I'd just like to butt in…
    You can't "butt in" when it's your community!

…the person may not be out for complete profit. They could actually be really proud of it and think they did a good job.
    That's possible, for sure. But when I look at the quality, the effort and the starting bid; I see a capitalist in a niche market. The real dealbreaker for me, though, was the ALL-CAP AUTHENTICY & "COPYRIGHT" insistence. I mean, Duffy is a copyrighted character. How can this person take the character, make it red, throw in a magnet and some accessories, give it a cutesy name and then claim it as their deeply "original" creation, enforceable by LAW???

If the seller was only presenting the bear as "Sleepy Pinku" I might even let this go. But there is the simultaneous aggressive linking to the pedigree of the true "Disney Bear," while also vehemently implying that anyone else who now dyes Duffy "pink" (and hopefully does a better job of it), adds a pacifier or princess/bridal wear, and gives their bear a name is somehow violating this seller's legal rights. I'm not an intellectual property attorney, but I'm pretty confident the courts would disagree. The thing is, I hate this about the Walt Disney Company, too — that they "own" Cinderella or Snow White, especially since their version has such media power behind it, it becomes the version that sticks with us. But the level of work and investment are different; this seller seems to me to be trying to scare off competition, not protect an admittedly very simple idea. This sentiment doesn't seem like someone encouraging others to create a thriving, creative grassroots fan community. This seems like someone who probably does think Duffy is cute, but is also trying to make a lot of money. We're looking at around 200% profit for something fairly mediocre and not fantastically original. I would be more inclined to believe in this person's integrity and intention if there was no copyright claim (or the bear had been handmade at least) or if the starting bid was $50 or $60.

…Even if it's not our cup of tea and they could've done a better job, it's still their first try… It doesn't hurt to try and at the very least, it opens up the option to maybe see really nice ones in the future. However, you also have to think of the person's feelings--they could come around and see everyone bashing it and just feel completely discouraged/want to give up and not bother with Duffy again or even trying to make a custom one--and it's really not that nice…
    Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    …And the strangest thing is some people are ???bidding??? on these two bears.
    This really surprises me.

Well, technically, while it's not too original (they just died it red mostly), if more people copied everything from the colors to the outfit to the name and etc. they could say something.
    While Duffy is the template, they did they the pictures and come up with the idea to make "Sleepy Bear Pinku"….
    Disney and OLC (who pays for their license — not that I think fans should EVER — just sayin'^^) have already produced both pink and red versions. The only thing remotely "original" here is the "Sleepy Bear Pinku" name, and I doubt anyone was clammoring to steal it. In fact, I think "Pinky" or "Pinkie" would have been cuter, so I'm hereby staking my legal claim to both of those.

My problem is a problem I have with a lot of "artists" in the EBay/Etsy/Internet age, which is heavily enforcing your own "rights" as a fan to interpret ideas that were not your own, then turning around and calling other fans copycats and intellectual property thieves.

While I don't appreciate people reposting my "Bear of Happiness & Luck" translation or "Shellie May" story without at least a reference, I'm certainly not threatening them with legal rights I don't have. Although the "Taffy" story is actually 100% original, so I'd maybe have a leg to stand on, I still used characters inspired by Disney and I know that.

• ~*Princess*~

Quote Originally Posted by FI183 View Post
    Yea, I would say this is art and that it's her first time so we should be nice, but then you see the copyright thing and the price and that just comes off as someone who is very arrogant and is trying to make a buck! Illegal to reproduce?!?! You are modifying a copyrighted character, isn't that enough to get her sued? idk, to me it just comes off as someone trying to make money. that dye job is just BAD! It's so splotchy and uneven. And she's obviously done this more than once. I just feel sorry for the ppl biding thinking this actually look worth paying over $100 for!
    I've seen people sell 80 dollar dolls for 300 dollars and the customs would look really bad. It's usually the price of the dye and materials, plus a bit of what it comes with. We also don't know if she got the Duffy in the US or Japan, considering the latter would be more expensive.
    She's not mass producing them which is why I don't think she could be sued--she just made a few customs with them. Not a bazillion red Duffy called Pinku.

DuffyDaisuke - :P I just felt bad since my opinion is different.
    As for the copyrited thing, see what I said above. XD There were dolls that were certain characters and people would customize them and make their own and make them a new character. It's how customizing tends to work. As long as they don't start mass-producing it when using Duffy or a Copyrited Doll as a base, essentially they do have the right.

I'm pretty sure Court's would disagree as well and maybe the person just doesn't know--but I don't think anyone's bear would exactly be like the whole package (which is what I was saying was copyrited). As for saying it's a Disney Bear/Duffy, well, that's essentially what it was made from, wasn't it? She could be trying to get her name out there. And to be honest, I have -never- seen a custom, for sale, or even just for show, that didn't say "This was customized from *INSERTTHINGHERE*" in the description and title. In fact, it's often how people introduce them--especially as not everyone names them ahead of time.

Like I said, I've seen people like them, so I honestly think they have a good motive behind it. Unfortunately, none of us will know unless we ask :P

As for the bidding, like I said, none of us may like it, but that doesn't mean there aren't people who think they're cute.

And again, I was saying the whole package (The color + the outfit + the name + etc.) :P Not that I agree with it and obviously, they can't do anything if someone makes one similar, but it's more of a mass producing thing I believe, rather than if a similar one pops up.

I keep reading the item description and thinking to myself...
    Will my hands turn red if I hold it too much?

Ha!

• Surfin the net with Duffy

I cannot even look at it, very upsetting!

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

• I can't stand you.

The sight of it hurts my eyes and my heart!!

so far it is up to $310.00 with 12 minutes left with a total of 11 bids on it, who the hell would want to pay that more for a poor dyed duffy when you can go get him for a cheaper price in one of the parks, and then show your love for him by buying him tons of outfits
    NEW PINK SLEEPY DISNEY MICKEY DUFFY BEAR 17 inch! PINKU | eBay

I just found that there is actually two of this bear on here and the other one is going for 445 dollars with 14 bidsNEW Hot PINK PRINCESS DISNEY MICKEY DUFFY BEAR 17inch ! | eBay

its terrible to do it once but to do it twice , thats just a crime

I stand corrected there are actually three pink duffy;s on ebay this is just murder

AQUA / TEAL Disney Hidden Mickey Bear -Pre Duffy RARE ! | eBay

• Banned User

And they glued eyelashes onto Duffy...

• Banned User

Wow! $600 for a piece of crap job?!?!?! You have got to be kidding me! Shoot, I'll buy me a few bears and dye em myself, probably better than what this person did, and see how much I'll make! But I'm not that greedy! SHEESH! People are nuts if they're willing to pay that much on a bear, just saying.

• ~*Princess*~

...I'll admit, even I'm shocked they went for that much.

However, it's not a crime--she didn't state them as anything other than what they were: A custom dyed Duffy Bear. She described exactly what she listed. The main thing we need to hope is nobody misunderstood her (as they may have trouble with English) and thought it was a OOAK Duffy by Disney which it's not.

As for the eyelashes thing, I'm going to go be depressed in my corner for even thinking of wanting to give my pink Disney bear them to make her look more girly. v-v

Erika - There is also another blue one.

FI183 - I'm guessing this shows that some people actually really liked them--like I said, while it may not be our cups of tea, it could be other people's.

Edit: I also have to say that the new ones up are a bit of an improvement.

Edit 2: And a lot more are appearing.
    Last edited by Wondering; 04-23-2011 at 12:43 PM.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Angry Re: What did poor Duffy do to deserve this?

...However, it's not a crime--she didn't state them as anything other than what they were: A custom dyed Duffy Bear. She described exactly what she listed. The main thing we need to hope is nobody misunderstood her (as they may have trouble with English) and thought it was a OOAK Duffy by Disney which it's not...
    I am officially raging at this person now. Looking at how much these sold for and looking back at the auctions, I realize that the word "dye" is never mentioned at all!!! The seller says the bears are "CUSTOMIZED in every way," but not by whom, and simultaneously that "This is an AUTHENTIC DISNEY DUFFY BEAR. We ONLY sell Real Authentic Disney Bears From DISNEY WORLD & DISNEYLAND." Misleading!

Without explicitly expressing that the bear has been dyed, it is absolutely possible that an unwitting buyer could believe that the customization only extends to the accessories and that the bears themselves are the older officially released colorways which are very rare and highly valued (though they were not one-of-a-kind). The more I look at the caps and the language, the more this screams scam. Keeping the starting bid high is also part of sending the message that the bear itself is worth more than it is; it seems intentionally misleading. And even if it's not, it's horribly irresponsible. This person has officially ruffled my fluff!

Edit: I also have to say that the new ones up are a bit of an improvement.
    If you're talking about the TEAL one on Ebay, the scam is even more insidious. First off, they emphasize the bear as "pre-Duffy," which anyone familiar with the original colorways would expect. Even worse is the language choice, "This Bear has been Customized;" it doesn't say by whom. Further, this section..."THIS IS AN AUTHENTIC DISNEY WORLD BEAR BOUGHT AT DISNEY WORLD IN. I KNOW THERE ARE SOME FAKES OUT THERE, BUT I ONLY SELL REAL AUTHENTIC DISNEY BEARS FROM DISNEY WORLD-ORLANDO and DISNEYLAND-CA."...really sells the false impression that this bear is a "RARE" colored official release, rather than a one-of-a-kind self-dyed bootleg. Even worse, you have to really read the fine print to find out that "Props are not included." They can say what they like, but this is a photo from that auction:

And here's an old Ebay auction for the real 2003 Easter Disney Bear:

Image from Pet Peoples Place

They don't really look the same at all, but depending on how much one knows about Duffy/the Disney Bear, it is potentially and unnecessarily misleading. At the very least, it is simply a poor man's version of an official release (yet being sold for $100+ hardly seems "poor man" to me). Japanese fans were making the Heartful Sailor when there was no official release. They created patterns and did really high quality sewing with human-grade materials. It was a significant investment. And yet, when OLC released an official version, fans stopped making that costume.

I vote no, to both of these sellers. This is nothing like what Japanese fans create. Even if the dye job were made clear, and even if the quality were very good; it still dilutes the value of the many people who paid alot to own the authentic colored Disney Bears by making them feel less rare.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Quote Originally Posted by FI183 View Post
    ...SHEESH! People are nuts if they're willing to pay that much on a bear, just saying.
    I've spent hundreds of dollars on Duffy, for sure, at this point. I'm not one to judge people by how they choose to spend their money. But I knew what I was buying and I knew that it was worth it to me. I only hope the same is true for the people who buy from these sellers.

• ~*Princess*~

I wasn't talking about the Teal one--I've seen about 6-7 more customs appearing.
    As for the Easter thing...they never said it was an Easter one and it is customized from a Disney Bear tag.

And to be honest, having been in a lot of places where people customizing is normal, when someone -doesn't- list who customized it, it has -always- meant that's because the person selling it customized it. It's never been something that needs more info so I honestly don't think people would mix it up. As for the authentic thing, well, that IS what it's customized from. And that's actually important to mention when customizing.

But yes, obviously, people like them, but if you guys are worried they're misleading, we could always send them a message saying they should add more info?

I honestly don't think these will decrease the value though :/ They're customs. People do this. People also have made customs before of official releases. It shouldn't decrease the value at all. It's not like they're mass-producing them.

Edit: And some of the newer ones have the Starting bid at just 99 cents.
    Edit 2: Also, the teal one is done by a different person.
    Last edited by Wondering; 04-23-2011 at 02:19 PM.

• Banned User

Wait a second.. who the **** is Duffy?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast