Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Munchings & Crunchings

What did poor Duffy do to deserve this?

Why???

NEW PINK SLEEPY DISNEY MICKEY DUFFY BEAR 17 inch! PINKU | eBay

Seriously, this kind of makes me mad. Somebody is trying to capitalize on the Japanese love of the colored "Disney Bears" by dying a Duffy...red, and selling it as a "customized" bear. I don't know why, but I see this as taking advantage and hoping to find a sucker, as opposed to those people who create custom costumes. That, to me, is different than trying to make your own pink Duffy. Now, if somebody was completely honest and said they dyed Duffy on purpose, that would be different. This auction only describes it as "customized". Poor Duffy, he looks like he spent way too much time at the tanning salon and turned into a lobster...

Oh, and this seller has multiple auctions that have subjected other Duffy bears to horrendous dye jobs for the sake of making money too...poor bears!

Duffeteer Society of Tenders,Artists & Romantics
    Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

Also, Check out my Duffy blog and become a follower.

http://duffythedisneybear.blogspot.com/

• Banned User

Re: What did poor Duffy do to deserve this?

OH My, GOD! That is just HORRIBLE! It doesn't even look good AT ALL! And this is not a real Duffy! They even have the nerve to call it it's own name as if this product actually exists! Pinku?!?! Ok, that is just ridiculous! It looks like Duffy has a disease and is dieing!

• Banned User

This is just sick...

• Future Indy Castmember

My Duffy just did a code V. That is absolutley horrific.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

i saw that at first I thought it was a shelliemay that was dyed because of the eyelashes then i realized it was a duffy and they put those eyelashes on him, how dare somebody do that to a duffy, the worst thing my mom did was call duffy damn duffy cause he was everywhere we went and I wanted him so badly and wasn'y sure I was going to get him, but everything worked out in the end and I now have one

• North American Duffeteer

An absolute mess and it's no longer a collector's item. If I was a Japanese Duffy fan and saw this going on, I'd be very pissed of at this.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MikkiMausu99 View Post
    An absolute mess and it's no longer a collector's item. If I was a Japanese Duffy fan and saw this going on, I'd be very pissed of at this.
    I'm not even Japanese and this makes me angry. I hope a true Duffy fan won't fall for this.

Quote Originally Posted by FI183 View Post
    ...It looks like Duffy has a disease and is dieing!
    That was my thought, too. If they had done a good job with the dye process, I'd say go for it. But this just doesn't look like there's a lot of investment in technique; it's a blatant attempt to capitalize on collectors wanting colored bears. Hopefully everyone who sees this has a new computer with quality resolution that shows how technically terrible the process is here.

That said, people getting creative and trying to produce "art" that adds to the color and diversity of the Duffy fan community is always welcome in my book. It doesn't really seem like a scam. I think the intention of the seller seems to be pretty clear in asserting this as an "original customization." The original naming strikes me as someone who is proud of hir work and enjoys the naming process. The addition of the magnet and accessory, plus the doll furniture and obvious attention to creating a set and mood suggest someone who is genuinely interested in seeing hirself as an artist. We aren't all successful, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try. What I really hope is that the seller will figure out how to improve the dyeing techniques and comes up with a more impressive final product, and also that s/he reevaluates the pricing, becoming more motivated by the process and the product than the potential for profit.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

HAHAHHAHA!

At first I thought it might be one of those pastel Disney bears from a few years ago, that they sold in Anaheim. Those were nice for a little variety, but this thing pictured on EBay, .. . HAHAHAHAHA, it looks like Duffy is deathly ill!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Anyone who plunks down $99 for that is a fool.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    HAHAHHAHA!

At first I thought it might be one of those pastel Disney bears from a few years ago, that they sold in Anaheim. Those were nice for a little variety, but this thing pictured on EBay, .. . HAHAHAHAHA, it looks like Duffy is deathly ill!
    I hope you're just laughing at the fact that this is ridiculous... not at the fact that Duffy looks ill.

• ~*Princess*~

I'd just like to butt in and say the person may not be out for complete profit. They could actually be really proud of it and think they did a good job.

Having come from other communities with plushies and dolls, there ARE people who DO make customs and then either sell them to make more (or re-do ones they made and sell those to make future ones) and while some may be pretty bad, they are actually really proud of them and really love them.

I think it'd be neat to see custom Duffy in the future and who knows, maybe there will be some good ones. I've thought personally of adding eyelashes to my Pink Disney Bear due to the fact that Shellie May has them and I'd want it to be more obvious that it really is a girl. My main reason for not doing so is I don't really have the money to replace her if I mess up or regret it.

I'm not saying that I think the custom is great, but I am saying you may not want to just completely tell it off because like I said, the person may really like it and be proud of it. (Pretty much almost everything DuffyDaisuki said in his second paragraph)

Even if it's not our cup of tea and they could've done a better job, it's still their first try, and honestly, how many of you really think you can do an awesome job without any previous experience? It doesn't hurt to try and at the very least, it opens up the option to maybe see really nice ones in the future. However, you also have to think of the person's feelings--they could come around and see everyone bashing it and just feel completely discouraged/want to give up and not bother with Duffy again or even trying to make a custom one--and it's really not that nice. If you want to critique it, that's fine, like maybe suggest "The lighter color should be the face while the darker color should be the rest" like other Duffy. I actually don't think it's that bad the more I look at it--it may not be something I'd want, but it's a lot better than some dye jobs I've seen and I actually think it's an interesting look for a Duffy. Maybe not a "baby", but why not an older female Duffy?

I personally am just wondering as to why they described it as pink ^^; It looks more red to me.
    Last edited by Wondering; 04-21-2011 at 10:09 PM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by stevo505 View Post
    I hope you're just laughing at the fact that this is ridiculous... not at the fact that Duffy looks ill.
    For the record, yes, I was laughing about how ridiculously horrible Duffy looks in that photo, and the fact that someone is attempting to sell something looking that bad.

"For Sale, 1 Duffy, slightly used, 6 year old drew over Duffy's face and feet with pink magic marker"

If someone wants to call it a "Custom Duffy" or art, they have a different "eye" for art, than me.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

I see the same seller has another female "pink" bear up for sale, too. But look at what the seller has to say about the bears they are selling:

This is an AUTHENTIC DISNEY DUFFY BEAR. We ONLY sell Real Authentic Disney Bears From DISNEY WORLD & DISNEYLAND
    **ALL PICTURES AND IDEAS ARE COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED LEGALLY. IT IS ILLEGAL TO REPRODUCE IT IN ANY FASHION.

That's just rather interesting to think that the seller is claiming these "ideas are copyrighted and cannot be reproduced legally. It is illegal to reproduce it in any fashion", I'm sure Disney would claim otherwise! And the strangest thing is some people are ???bidding??? on these two bears.

• ~*Princess*~

Well, technically, while it's not too original (they just died it red mostly), if more people copied everything from the colors to the outfit to the name and etc. they could say something.
    While Duffy is the template, they did they the pictures and come up with the idea to make "Sleepy Bear Pinku".

As for the authentic thing, there are people who will get knock-offs and then dye those saying they're just real customs--maybe that's why.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast