Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Thumbs up Re: Disney UniBEARsity finally earns its A+! (Shopping Trip Deadline: 4/29)

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    First, an exchange site like XE.com is a great tool. You can plug in the Japanese Yen total and convert it to US dollars.

Second, here's a list of the items & prices. There are not item codes. You can send DuffyDaisuki the names of the items. If you're descriptive, it's pretty easy to figure out. So, here's an example for you.

Disney UniBEARsity bear 30cm "Mocha" (boy) - Quantity: 1 = 2,990 Yen ($36.53)
    Disney UniBEARsity bear 30cm "Pudding" (girl) - Quanity: 1 = 2,990 Yen ($36.53)
    Disney UniBEARsity school uniform - Quantity: 1 = 2,500 Yen ($30.55)
    Disney UniBEARsity plush keychain set - Quantity: 1 set = 1,290 Yen ($15.76)

Total = 9,790 Yen (this equals roughly $119.66)

Then you'll add the 25% handling/shopping fee, which is 2,442 Yen ($29.83)

Grand total = 12,232 Yen ($149.45)

Mind you, the exchange rate can fluctuate, so the US prices are based on today's rate at XE.

After he's done shopping for your items, he'll send you a total for shipping, so you'll end up sending him two Paypal payments. The first one is for the items & shopping fee, and the second is shipping.

Now, in your Paypal account, there is a drop-down menu when you are imputing the total to send him. You can choose which currency to send in, and Paypal will do a conversion right there and tell you what it will be in Yen. Also, make sure to check that the payment is a "gift", that way he doesn't get charged a fee from Paypal.

Oh, and you don't have to put the American conversions in your wish list to him, just put the total in Yen.

Also, the keychains you wanted, are they these plush ones?
    ƒL[ƒ`ƒF[ƒ“ | •i• | UniBEARsity | ƒfƒBƒYƒj[ƒVƒ‡ƒbƒsƒ“ƒO

Or were you wanting the "BearBrick" ones that are plastic LEGO-like characters?
    ƒxƒAƒuƒŠƒbƒN | •i• | UniBEARsity | ƒfƒBƒYƒj[ƒVƒ‡ƒbƒsƒ“ƒO

I hope I answered your questions and made it a little bit more clear. If you are in doubt about anything on the Japanese sites, just ask here and we'll help you make decisions and create a list.
    OH.MY.GOSHNESS!!! It's official, gurgi! You're my favorite! Thank you SOOOO much for helping out! I'm applying for what may be my dream job this week, have one student starting aggressive preparation for MBA abroad, one who's just about to take over European sales at her subsidiary, two who are slipping a bit and a recent high-school-graduate-now-college-freshman who won't come even if I offer her candy!...wait...that last part came out wrong...

I really, really needed your help answering redsoxmama and I cannot tell you how grateful I am. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by FI183 View Post
    ^Actually, it has to do with Japan's yen. Since the earthquake events the cost has gone up, it's only natural. It will get back down eventually, but the economy needs to recover from the disaster. It sucks for us, but anything to help their economy!
    Thank you, too, for reminding us of this. I have to admit, even though I live here, I've started to lull back into "normal" mode. There was a fairly significant aftershock last night around 9:30, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Chopsticks View Post
    Waaaaaaah what are the odds of Mocha and Pudding coming to the US?
    I have no idea, but I feel fairly confident in saying that seems very unlikely. Still, Duffy's US launch surprised me, too. Cos it was pretty much a public admission of the fact that OLC - a licensee - salvaged an idea that the US WDC totally ruined and failed with. Not only did they make it work, they actually made a product character - with no animated cartoons or films or mass marketing - eclipse Mickey in terms of sales volume, wait times and perhaps even general popularity. If they were willing to admit that, they may be willing to import UniBEARsity, but I doubt UniBEARsity is ever gonna pull in numbers or pop consciousness on the same level as Duffy. In fact, I imagine that a lot of Japanese folks, too, have been waiting on the costumes...so they can put them on Duffy and Shellie May.

Quote Originally Posted by Janell View Post
    Okay so the uniform is like what one would ware in Japan. Does anyone know would boys and girls ware the same jacket? I ask because I wonder if they will come out with a girls school uniform and that could work for Shellie.
    In Japan or also a European boarding school or American elite private school. It really depends on the school, but often boys and girls do wear the same basic jacket, although cut different for different body types. For Shellie and Duffy, though, this isn't an issue.^^ My thought was that they might eventually make a green or red one for pudding; I can see that.

The great thing about it is that pocket being a separate piece and not a paint job. If you really wanted to get creative, you could take off the pocket (pretty easily) and carefully cut around the bear, which looks to be embrodered well enough that you could actually cut right up to it without it unraveling. Then you could use heat-reactive fabric adhesive to make that bear into an iron-on patch and apply it to any jacket you want - even make your own (if you wanted the male and female versions to be sewn differently, for example, or different colors). The construction is so good that reconstruction would be pretty simple for someone like me with even fairly rudimentary sewing skills. While that's all true, it would ruin the jacket. And while it is just a little bit small for Duffy, the fabric is so unbelievably wonderful, I imagine that the cost of making it yourself (Build-A-Bear doesn't offer anything with fabric like this) would probably be prohibitive for most. Speaking of fantastic fabric, I think some of you who are so quick to write off the shorts will change your mind when you see the texture. It looks similar to the Build-A-Bear pants, but feels very different. However, they did cut corners by not including a liner and not trimming loose threads as much as they would if it were a TDS release. Nothing visible, but TDS releases have no shortcomings, visible or not. When there's not a lining in something at TDS, I wonder why.

• Adventures with Duffy

Re: Disney UniBEARsity finally earns its A+! (Shopping Trip Deadline: 4/29)

Thanks DuffyD. Wow, its that good that you can take it apart and redo it into something else. that says so much for what they do. Is it OLC that is designing the UnisBEARsity? I think they must be, WDC wouldn't have done that high of quality. I hope they do a jacket for Pudding(I'll have to try and get use to these names lol) And I hope its a good color for Shellie May.

It will be interesting to see if the UniBEATsity Bears will show up with Guest at the parks? Will they carry them like they do Duffy and Shellie? How loved will they be? Time will tell. They are pretty cute, but Duffy is still the best.

D
    uffeteer
    Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics

Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

Talking Re: Disney UniBEARsity finally earns its A+! (Shopping Trip Deadline: 4/29)

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    OH.MY.GOSHNESS!!! It's official, gurgi! You're my favorite! Thank you SOOOO much for helping out! I'm applying for what may be my dream job this week, have one student starting aggressive preparation for MBA abroad, one who's just about to take over European sales at her subsidiary, two who are slipping a bit and a recent high-school-graduate-now-college-freshman who won't come even if I offer her candy!...wait...that last part came out wrong...

I really, really needed your help answering redsoxmama and I cannot tell you how grateful I am. Thank you!

ank you, too, for reminding us of this. I have to admit, even though I live here, I've started to lull back into "normal" mode. There was a fairly significant aftershock last night around 9:30, though.

I have no idea, but I feel fairly confident in saying that seems very unlikely. Still, Duffy's US launch surprised me, too. Cos it was pretty much a public admission of the fact that OLC - a licensee - salvaged an idea that the US WDC totally ruined and failed with. Not only did they make it work, they actually made a product character - with no animated cartoons or films or mass marketing - eclipse Mickey in terms of sales volume, wait times and perhaps even general popularity. If they were willing to admit that, they may be willing to import UniBEARsity, but I doubt UniBEARsity is ever gonna pull in numbers or pop consciousness on the same level as Duffy. In fact, I imagine that a lot of Japanese folks, too, have been waiting on the costumes...so they can put them on Duffy and Shellie May.

In Japan or also a European boarding school or American elite private school. It really depends on the school, but often boys and girls do wear the same basic jacket, although cut different for different body types. For Shellie and Duffy, though, this isn't an issue.^^ My thought was that they might eventually make a green or red one for pudding; I can see that.

The great thing about it is that pocket being a separate piece and not a paint job. If you really wanted to get creative, you could take off the pocket (pretty easily) and carefully cut around the bear, which looks to be embrodered well enough that you could actually cut right up to it without it unraveling. Then you could use heat-reactive fabric adhesive to make that bear into an iron-on patch and apply it to any jacket you want - even make your own (if you wanted the male and female versions to be sewn differently, for example, or different colors). The construction is so good that reconstruction would be pretty simple for someone like me with even fairly rudimentary sewing skills. While that's all true, it would ruin the jacket. And while it is just a little bit small for Duffy, the fabric is so unbelievably wonderful, I imagine that the cost of making it yourself (Build-A-Bear doesn't offer anything with fabric like this) would probably be prohibitive for most. Speaking of fantastic fabric, I think some of you who are so quick to write off the shorts will change your mind when you see the texture. It looks similar to the Build-A-Bear pants, but feels very different. However, they did cut corners by not including a liner and not trimming loose threads as much as they would if it were a TDS release. Nothing visible, but TDS releases have no shortcomings, visible or not. When there's not a lining in something at TDS, I wonder why.
    Gurgi- You are my new best friend!! you explained that so perfectly. Thank you sooo much.
    now I am of to send my shopping list.

DD- If you see this I need the contact info to send you my shopping list. My emails and contacts got deleted. I need to send you my shopping list. Gurgi was so helpful. You are 13 hours ahead of me so it is already Thursday 4/28 in Japan my deadline is 1 day.

Gurgi- can you tell me a link or web-site to view the outfits for Mocha and Pudding- I am looking for the outfits that look like Mickey and Mini Mouse clothes? I want to order those so both bears have an outfit but I need the names not sure what they are called and the amount in yen. Not sure where to look for those.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Chopsticks View Post
    Waaaaaaah what are the odds of Mocha and Pudding coming to the US?
    My guess would be 0%...seriously.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Thanks! I'm glad I could help. I just sensed it was what was needed, and also I figured it would help you out.

I'm crossing my fingers for you on the job opportunity. Sounds like you've got some good students in your group. I hope you can coax the unwilling girl to come to class...maybe bribe her with Duffy, LOL!

I figured I could provide the helpful info, since I've had to do this stuff often, and not even just with you. I've become an "expert", LOL.

Thank you, too, for reminding us of this. I have to admit, even though I live here, I've started to lull back into "normal" mode. There was a fairly significant aftershock last night around 9:30, though.
    I'm glad things are slowly feeling normal, but I know the aftershocks are nerve-wracking. They say those will happen at least a year after the initial earthquake too...
    Growing up in Southern California, I remember them well, even though there has not been anything as strong as the one in Japan.

I would be shocked, completely shocked if they brought Disney UniBEARsity to the US. It seems the Disney stores here are even more lax about things than the parks are. There are some cute plush, sure, but they tend to stick to established characters & franchises. It's sad, but I dislike going into our Disney Stores because it looks like a toy store, and not all that different from WalMart or Toys R Us, except all Disney stuff. There is very, very little for adults, and the products for kids are the typical stuff they always have. To try a new concept like Mocha and Pudding would be surprising.

You know, the more you talk about these costumes, the more I want them. I can see from your pictures that they are not quite TDS standards, but they look to be just "bearly" ;-) below that. That's one thing about Build-a-Bear I wish was better. They have great concepts, but they skip out on quality sometimes. When things should be lined if they were a piece of human clothing, they leave that out. Sometimes fabrics are thin and cheap, and they don't account for wrinkling. It's funny, not one costume I have from TDS ever gets wrinkled, and I have them all stored in plastic bags. However, the Build-a-Bear ones get pretty mushed when stored like that. I can only imagine the US Duffy costumes are even worse than the Build-a-Bear ones...

Quote Originally Posted by Janell View Post
    Thanks DuffyD. Wow, its that good that you can take it apart and redo it into something else. that says so much for what they do. Is it OLC that is designing the UnisBEARsity? I think they must be, WDC wouldn't have done that high of quality. I hope they do a jacket for Pudding(I'll have to try and get use to these names lol) And I hope its a good color for Shellie May.

It will be interesting to see if the UniBEATsity Bears will show up with Guest at the parks? Will they carry them like they do Duffy and Shellie? How loved will they be? Time will tell. They are pretty cute, but Duffy is still the best.
    Yeah, I wondered if Japanese guests would embrace them as much as Duffy. There were the "Cuddly Bears" that were sort of a licensed addition to Duffy that I just haven't seen many pictures of in the parks. It was a girl bear with lots of outfits, even a "fashionista" line...although it was kind of un-fashionable if you ask me. She was supposed to be Minnie's bear. Possibly a counterpart to Duffy. Of course she came along before Shellie May, so now that there's real competition, I wonder what happened to Cuddly Bear? So, with UniBEARsity, I also wonder how many will be seen "out-and-about" in Japan?

Quote Originally Posted by redsoxmama View Post
    Gurgi- You are my new best friend!! you explained that so perfectly. Thank you sooo much.
    now I am of to send my shopping list.
    You're very welcome. I always like to help connect people and make sure new fans are not left in the dust.

Quote Originally Posted by redsoxmama View Post
    DD- If you see this I need the contact info to send you my shopping list. My emails and contacts got deleted. I need to send you my shopping list. Gurgi was so helpful. You are 13 hours ahead of me so it is already Thursday 4/28 in Japan my deadline is 1 day.

Gurgi- can you tell me a link or web-site to view the outfits for Mocha and Pudding- I am looking for the outfits that look like Mickey and Mini Mouse clothes? I want to order those so both bears have an outfit but I need the names not sure what they are called and the amount in yen. Not sure where to look for those.
    Ok, let me get that for you.

Here's the main Disney UniBEARsity page.
    UniBEARsity | fBYj[VbsO

You can use a translating service like Google, or if you are using Google Chrome, they have a toolbar that will translate the site for you. However, a lot of times the text is either in a graphic, or flash-based. So, those can't be translated. Any basic text though, should be readable.

Anyway...here's a link to the costumes page.
    RX`[ | i | UniBEARsity | fBYj[VbsO

This page shows all 4 costumes for sale. Each one is 2,500 yen each, so the pricing is even for all of them.
    When you add them to your wishlist, you can just call them by what they look like.

Disney UniBEARsity Sorcerer Mickey costume - Quantity: 1 = 2,500 Yen
    Disney UniBEARsity Basic Mickey costume - Quantity: 1 = 2,500 Yen
    Disney UniBEARsity Basic Minnie costume - Quantity: 1 = 2,500 Yen

Just make sure to re-calculate the 25% from your new total.

• Banned User

Ok, dumb question, I sent you my shopping list, but I haven't gotten a response back. Do I wait for a response or send out the money now? I'm just paranoid and don't wanna do it if I haven't gotten a response email! Thanks!

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

...Disney UniBEARsity plush keychain set - Quantity: 1 set = 1,290 Yen
    These are actually ¥1290 each, not for a set of two. For both, it's ¥2580.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Quote Originally Posted by FI183 View Post
    Ok, dumb question, I sent you my shopping list, but I haven't gotten a response back. Do I wait for a response or send out the money now? I'm just paranoid and don't wanna do it if I haven't gotten a response email! Thanks!
    You should wait for a response, which you also should have already received. I'm not a business, so 24- to 48-hour turnaround (which it has been) is acceptable, I hope. I will always want to confirm your list and total before you send any money. I'm paranoid, too.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

I have received UniBEARsity School Supply lists from several MiceChatters.

I have replied to all of you and confirmed your lists and totals. As soon as everyone has transferred PayPal funds, I will transfer the funds to my bank account. To save on service fees, I will make the whole transfer at one time. Speaking of fees, please remember to transfer in YEN, and to send as GIFT with fees paid by you, the sender, not me, the payee. I should be able to go shopping next week and get your Care Packages out right away!^^

PS: If anyone wants me to remove the costume(s) from the board and send only the clothing, please let me know via email. The board is MUCH heavier than Duffy items, due to the entire piece being made of the same cardboard as the hanger in Duffy releases. If you're not actually going to use it for anything, this could save you a lot. Though it also may hurt potential collector/resale value. It is entirely up to you; I'm okay either way. Just though I'd offer the option.^^
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 04-29-2011 at 01:53 PM.

• Munchings & Crunchings

I think for this one time, I want the board. I'm a huge fan of packaging, so I want to see it in person myself. I'm guessing for the rest of the costumes (when I get around to buying them) I won't care about having the cardboard.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

I think for this one time, I want the board. I'm a huge fan of packaging, so I want to see it in person myself...
    Roger that!^^ Here's hoping the transfer comes through today. If not, it may be next week before I can shop. I forgot it was Golden Week and the banks will be closed here.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Ok, I have a question for you, DuffyDaisuki. Do you know how the hats/bows are attached to the bear's heads with these costumes? Like the Sorcerer Mickey hat, and Minnie Mouse bow. I ask because I hope they fit Duffy and Shellie May. Are they elastic bands like the ones for Duffy, or are they something different? Since Mocha and Pudding have such...large...heads, I wonder if it will be a problem with sharing the headwear with Duffy & Shellie...

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I really like that Sorcerer Mickey costume, but I saw Duffy will be getting one of his own here in the US (according to the artwork board Disney released that showed all the upcoming costumes for the 17" bears), so I'll wait and see what that one looks like. If I don't like it, I might want the UniBEARsity one in the future.

However, I LOVE the pin badge!
    sobW | i | UniBEARsity | fBYj[VbsO

Think these will still be around when you do the Shellie May shopping trip in July? Would the Disney Store at Ipskari have them?

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    I really like that Sorcerer Mickey costume, but I saw Duffy will be getting one of his own here in the US (according to the artwork board Disney released that showed all the upcoming costumes for the 17" bears), so I'll wait and see what that one looks like. If I don't like it, I might want the UniBEARsity one in the future.

However, I LOVE the pin badge!
    sobW | i | UniBEARsity | fBYj[VbsO

Think these will still be around when you do the Shellie May shopping trip in July? Would the Disney Store at Ipskari have them?
    The Sorcerer costume is probly gonna depend on priorities. The US version should be a more perfect fit, while the UniBEARsity one is likely higher quality material with better construction; I particularly love its shoes.^^ I'd go with fit in this case, unless (as is likely) the US release doesn't even include shoes. Really, though, I'm skipping both and waiting for Duffy's and Shellie's "Be Magical!" costumes in September, which are the costume Duffy's wearing for his first-time feature in key concept artwork, a matching set for both, perfect fit and TDS quality. I have to be a little patient, bit I'd rather have Duffy in his own wizard robes, and I'd like both bears to match.

As for the pin, it seems to have sold out nationwide within a few days of release, before I even knew it existed.. That's why I crossed it out. If it gets restocked (which I kinda doubt), I'll post it here.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast