Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Talking Disney UniBEARsity finally earns its A+! (Shopping Trip Deadline: 4/29)

For those unfamiliar, the Disney UniBEARsity is a Japan-only (likely forever) product line about the strangely animated stuffed bears Mocha and Pudding, based on Mickey and Minnie, with more bear versions of classic Disney characters appearing in the storybook. The UniBEARsity bears were born from Mickey and the gang's homework assignment for Professor Ludwig Von Drake – and a healthy sprinkling of pixie dust. Check my DuffyClo blog for details. If you read a bit, you'll see that at first I was really excited, then less than impressed with the background story. The fact remains, though, that this uniform (and its gorgeous logo) is my #1 dream fantasy costume for Duffy and now that it's here, I could not be more excited! They even made a brilliant last minute change - the original design has been like this for months:

Image from Disneystore Japan

...But the final, released version also includes the logo mark on the foot, just like the UniBEARsity plush bears! Whoever insisted on making this happen did so at the last minute and we should all be thankful for the sensitive genius who made sure we got this cherry on top...or bottom, I guess!^^

Check it out on Duffy!

They embroidered the foot, just like the UniBEARsity plush!

This pocket is incredible! Photos don't do justice!
    The bear is actually embroidered as a FULL round head onto the jacket,
    and the pocket is a completely separate piece of embroidered felt! WOW!
    *Naturally, both of the jacket pockets are "real" and open.^^

Check out the embroidered paw print on the tie (which snaps closed at the back). It's an unexpected and unnecessary detail I didn't even know existed until I got it home!

This is the tag inside the collar - nice detail!

Of course the tail is super cute!
    And here's a special VIDEO!

And check out the new Uniform, Fantasia, Mickey and Minnie costumes HERE.

Plus the adorable backpacks for folks who wanna carry their bear in the cutest style. I imagine there are a limited number of grown-ups who can really pull this off, but it’s adorable. For a kid, it’s a fantastic gift!

So, without further ado, I’d like to announce a “Disney UniBEARsity School Supplies” shopping trip. Lists can be submitted now through Friday 4/29. After that, I’m afraid things will start to sell out. The Cast Members couldn’t say how long the costumes would be available, but did not expect them to be around forever. The really awesome pin badge has already sold out at every Disney Store I called. Minimum order is ¥2500 so that you can buy just one costume if you want. We’ll use the lowest 25% rate no matter how many people get stuff, cos it's easier to shop at the Disney Store than at the Resort and I don't have to pay admission to shop. Reply in this thread or email me (if you have the Duffy Post email address) if you're interested. Subject line MUST read: "UniBEARsity School Supplies” and items must be listed clearly, with prices, quantities, sub-total and total:

UBC Uniform ¥2500 x2
    UBC Fantasia ¥2500 x1
    UBC Mickey ¥2500 x1
    UBC Minnie ¥2500 x1

UB Pin Badge ¥1500 x3 Item no longer available. SOLD OUT in less than a week!
    UB Backpack, Mickey ¥2000 x1
    UB Backpack, Minnie ¥2000 x1

Sub-Total ¥16500

Gratuity (25%) ¥4125

TOTAL ¥20625

I'm just so excited about them FINALLY releasing the school uniform, I couldn't resist showing my school spirit. I think also I was really excited about the next Duffy Post which isn’t happening until who knows when. Let me know if you’re interested, guys!

OOPS! Forgot keychains and BE@RBRICKS. Check out all the stuff HERE!
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 04-24-2011 at 07:02 PM.

Re: Disney UniBEARsity finally earns its A+! (Shopping Trip Deadline: 4/29)

Those are very detailed touches they have is cool that Duffy can wear them, for the pics of the bears I thought they were a lot smaller.

I wonder if an uniform for girls is going to come out too.

In spanish the duck's name is Ludwing von Pato , well not too original since pato= duck

• Banned User

hmmm, idk, I think I'm interested. The costume is SUPER cute, but the bears kinda freak me out! they have a huge forehead and tiny face! If they sold Donald's I would jump right at it! I love Donald, hmmm it is a lot cheaper than Duffy merch, yea, ok, I'm interested! I also wish there was a girl costume! I would want one for Shellie!
    Last edited by FI183; 04-24-2011 at 08:12 PM.

• Banned User

Eeek, I just did a conversion on google and it looks like yen has gone way up......I'm still interested though, but guys, keep that in mind!

is the shopping list only for the unibearsity stuff, is there no way in the disney store to get shelliemay or is that only in the parks? i'm only asking this cause in america you can get duffy everywhere in wdw even the disney store.

• Banned User

^no, in japan all Duffy related product is exclusive to TDS. And I think Disney Store merch and TDR merch are separate. They sell different things.

oh gosh that uniform is just too adorable to pass up!!! even though i'm not a fan of ho the pants are like shorts on Duffy, the rest is to die for!!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by flylikadove22 View Post
    oh gosh that uniform is just too adorable to pass up!!! even though i'm not a fan of ho the pants are like shorts on Duffy, the rest is to die for!!
    Yea, thats my only issue too! Those shorts are really TIGHT! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by FI183 View Post
    Yea, thats my only issue too! Those shorts are really TIGHT! LOL
    you can say that again!! but i'm thinking (even though i don't like using build a bear clothes on duffy) buy him some pants from there and use it as an alternative! i just cannot refuse the jacket and tie!

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire-Light View Post
    Those are very detailed touches they have is cool that Duffy can wear them, for the pics of the bears I thought they were a lot smaller.
    I thought they'd be way too small, too. The jacket is about a centimeter shorter than I'd like, to be honest, although I really like the length in the sleeves to show off shirt buttons if you change to a Build-A-Bear dress shirt. Either way, even with the slight shortcomings, it's just too cute, and the material itself is WONDERFUL, details aside!^^ Plus I'm just bowled over by the fact that someone actually ADDED detail on the sole of the shoe as a surprise for the official release, rather than cheaping out and taking it away like they do in some places...:

The fit is not as perfect as an official release, for sure, but Build-A-Bear is just a teeny bit too big for Duffy, too. If you've used Build-A-Bear stuff and you understand that difference, this is about the same, but in the other direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire-Light View Post
    I wonder if an uniform for girls is going to come out too...
    Quote Originally Posted by FI183 View Post
    ...I also wish there was a girl costume! I would want one for Shellie!
    If you have Shellie's basic skirt and panty set, I think that would look great with the jacket and shirt! I always thought it was weird that her base set is topless anyway, but I guess it's really cheap and nicely made, so...whatever. For me, this feels like fate. I don't have a Shellie May without bones and I don't really feel comfortable dressing Duffy in drag, so I'm not gonna post a photo, but it should be possible.

I agree with you about the UniBEARsity bears, F183. I am just not feeling the design of the bears themselves, but their logo mark, clothes and general theming are classic and great!

Besides just not really liking the design, my biggest issue is that the fundamentals of the design concept - tiny eyes, huge heads with big round ears - seem to be "stolen" from the bears' school, another project started by Japanese author Hiroyuki Aihara and illustrator Nami Adachi. The first of these storybooks was published in 2002. the bears' school has become immensely popular, with its main character, Jackie, popping up in as many different kinds of character goods as every other character in Japan.

The similarity is striking, and somehow works better for the bears' school, almost as if the UniBEARsity versions are some kind of knockoff that doesn't quite work as well as the original design... Mocha and Pudding's color are even the same as Jackie's and most of the bears' school bears.

Quote Originally Posted by Erika Glagowski View Post
    ...is there no way in the disney store to get shelliemay or is that only in the parks? i'm only asking this cause in america you can get duffy everywhere in wdw even the disney store.
    Duffy goods, like all Resort goods, are only available from Tokyo Disney Resort. Duffy goods, in particular, are exclusively available at Tokyo DisneySEA, and only in four select shops - Aunt Peg's (the original), McDuck's (the high street department store), Galleria Disney (the overflow alleviator) and The Sleepy Whale (for kids, with no logical theming connection). Duffy items are not even sold at Bon Voyage.

you can say that again!! but i'm thinking (even though i don't like using build a bear clothes on duffy) buy him some pants from there and use it as an alternative! i just cannot refuse the jacket and tie!
    The shorts are designed to be shorts, like a very young elementary school look. To that end, I think they are both cute and effective. I, however, would also prefer an older junior high or high school look for the uniform. Longer pants do make a difference:

This image also shows a Build-A-Bear dress shirt, so you can see what I mean about the buttons -
    I think it would be fun to switch out regular buttons for Mickey-shaped ones!

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post

This image also shows a Build-A-Bear dress shirt, so you can see what I mean about the buttons -
    I think it would be fun to switch out regular buttons for Mickey-shaped ones!
    OMG are those pants from build a bear?! they are so perfect for the uniform!!!

• Banned User

OK, I'm sold! I'm getting the costume! Ahhh it's just too cute! I'm very tempted to get 2, but the exchange rate is just too high right now. Duffy just has to learn how to share! LOL! PM your email DuffyD!

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

I'm usually not comfortable to do this, but since they're not in plastic anyway, if you want me to remove the costume from the cardboard backing and just send the clothing pieces to save on shipping I can do that; the board is pretty heavy. It's supposed to be designed so that you cut out the bear yourself and hang the clothes on it. I guess the elastic in the pants is just snug enough to hold on??? I dunno...I don't think it's cute and I'm not gonna use it.

Here're a couple photos to help you decide if you need the board or not:

Red Face Re: Disney UniBEARsity finally earns its A+! (Shopping Trip Deadline: 4/29)

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    I'm usually not comfortable to do this, but since they're not in plastic anyway, if you want me to remove the costume from the cardboard backing and just send the clothing pieces to save on shipping I can do that; the board is pretty heavy. It's supposed to be designed so that you cut out the bear yourself and hang the clothes on it. I guess the elastic in the pants is just snug enough to hold on??? I dunno...I don't think it's cute and I'm not gonna use it.

Here're a couple photos to help you decide if you need the board or not:

Hi- I was hoping that some of you Veteren Duffy shoppers would be able to help me out on my first order. This is all so new to me. I live in the United States and I do not understand the money exchange?? I have looked on-line and I still don't get it. If something is 2500 yen what is the cost for me in American money?? also how do I pay DD in Yen from paypal?? One more question. I want to order the school outfit here, the fantasmic outfit and one of each bear ( I do not have the bears yet) also want the set of the two keychains of the two bears? where can I find the item numbers and the cost for them in Yen??
    DD if you read this I am trying to work on my first shopping list for you but my need the email address to contact you so please send me the information that I will need to get it to you. I do not want to miss out on this shopping trip. Thanks to all that can help me figure all of this out!!!

Hi everyone- not sure I replied correctly so this may be duplicated (sorry) I am new to this site and I am looking for help with my first order with DD. I do not understand the money exchange. I live in the US. What is my cost if I order the school uniform and it is 2500 yen?? How do I pay DD in Yen from my United States paypal account?? Also I would like to order the 2 bears 1 girl and 1 boy (I do not even have these bears yet) one school uniform, one Fantasmic outfit and a set of the two keychains of the bears. How do I find the item numbers? Thank you to all that can help me through my very first order.

DD if you read this I'll need the contact information so I can get you my shopping list. I am trying so hard to figure this all out. I don't want to miss out on this shopping day.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast