Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Re: FINALLY!!! NEW Duffy Goods at Tokyo DisneySEA!!!^^

I'm probably gonna buy it, but I'm inclined to agree with the speechless sticker shock.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Yes, sticker shock is right! Ugh...I'm not sure if this is the start of the end, or not. I don't mean dislike, I mean cost. I try to keep up with every costume release, and some extra items. However, between what I just spent for Halloween, and anticipating the Christmas stuff, this is just too much!

I just don't know how I can afford any of this, but I do like it, and the idea. I do have to say, I can justify the cost of these costumes compared to the Steiff Duffy though. At least the costumes would get use. Still, damn! Why are they so much? It's difficult to tell from the pictures, but is the quality even higher than the standard costume? I see the shoes are more like BAB shoes, which is great. The details look amazing, but I just don't understand how the extra $50 on each makes sense. Did they do it to make it seem more limited and "hot"?

And, these are going to be once a season? So, 4 each year? In addition to the normal costume releases? This is just so much! I would almost rather they do one or the other, but not both. Well, that's selfish of me, I guess. With both, they create a subset of Duffy collectors who can afford everything, and then those who just buy the basics.

I have to say something else about the Cannery Clothing Co. costumes. They look like fan creations. It seems like OLC is really noticing what the fans are doing, and have been releasing things in similar styles. The "Duffy head" Halloween tote this year, and these new CCC costumes. They just have that sensibility to them. I'm not sure I like it totally, as I would rather they emulate true fashion designers and not home-made stuff, but still, it's apparent they are paying attention.

Also, if they do one costume for each season, I guess they aren't sticking to the weather. These first two don't seem like fall clothes much, but...maybe they are. We'll see how this sub-series evolves over time. I do like the concept, and it makes sense. I just wish it wasn't so expensive!

The 10 Magical tops are cute too, and I did buy the first series. Maybe I'll get the new ones, but again, I wish they had waited...especially with Christmas right around the corner.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders,Artists & Romantics
    Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

Also, Check out my Duffy blog and become a follower.

http://duffythedisneybear.blogspot.com/

• Munchings & Crunchings

I just found out that there was a Steiff Duffy released for Tokyo DisneySea's 5th anniversary too. It looks very similar, including the packaging. I had no idea this existed.

• Adventures with Duffy

Wow that's pricey. It's very cute and at first I was like oh I want it. Then I looked at it closer for those who bought the swim suite costume in 2009, you already have a stripe jacket it's just not dress or fancy. I love blue & white so with this thought I easily talked myself out of the want for this costume. There are still very cute items along with this jacket but not worth $116. In my mind.

I'm wondering if olc is seeing other Disney parks getting nock offs of their costumes and have decided to up their costumes to set them apart? This costume sure makes anything at DL or WDW look more and more like BaB. And Disney costumes cost more then BaB.

D
    uffeteer
    Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

OMG the cannery costumes are CUTE! But OMG SPENDY! But considering everything you're getting I can kind of see it but... yikes! I'm going to save the photos and see if my aunt can make me versions of these that are similar, but unique in their own way.

• ~*Princess*~

Actually, Shellie May's Halloween outfit comes with more pieces than the Canary Co. despite being like 4,000 Yen cheaper. I think Duffy's has one more item though...but regardless, it's still a lot cheaper for a small piece.

Question Re: FINALLY!!! NEW Duffy Goods at Tokyo DisneySEA!!!^^

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    I just found out that there was a Steiff Duffy released for Tokyo DisneySea's 5th anniversary too. It looks very similar, including the packaging. I had no idea this existed.
    What do you mean? You posted it on your blog in August 2010 - it's the same one that was released in the US. It came here a bit after, I think, or maybe it was a simultaneous release...can't remember. Anyway, it's the same event.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    What do you mean? You posted it on your blog in August 2010 - it's the same one that was released in the US. It came here a bit after, I think, or maybe it was a simultaneous release...can't remember. Anyway, it's the same event.
    I guess you could be right. The bears might be the same, but the packaging and names are different. I was just not aware of the 5th Anniversary one with the red duffel bag and bottle necklace. The Disney Bear version just had the storybook around his neck.

If it's the same bear, it actually kind of sucks, because the TDS one said it was limited to 1,000...so, if there was another one with a different name, then they actually made more...I guess they consider the package & stuff as the limited number....

Anyway, I keep thinking about these Cannery Clothing Company costumes...I will probably find a way to get them. The main reason is to see for myself if the quality of fabrics and design is improved from the basic costume set. I hope that the packaging is special too, considering how much they're charging. Maybe they are on a real wooden hanger, and come in a box? There has to be something that sets them above the usual stuff, because, like Wondering said, the amount of pieces in each set is not far off from other costume sets.

Thumbs up Re: FINALLY!!! NEW Duffy Goods at Tokyo DisneySEA!!!^^

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    ...And, these are going to be once a season? So, 4 each year? In addition to the normal costume releases? This is just so much! I would almost rather they do one or the other, but not both...
    Let me be clear, I was told that there was likely to be one pair of CCC costumes per season, but it was purely my own speculation that there would also be an additional regular release at a lower price point. I could not confirm whether or not this is actually the case. It may well be that the CCC line represents the new standard for Duffy outfit releases, at least for the next year. I suppose we'll have a glimpse come November.

I agree that this looks more like Late Summer, and perhaps it is. Maybe there will be another one in the CCC series released soon for autumn, but that seems hard with winter so near. Who knows?

Also, it does look a lot like the fan-made costumes, although considerably cheaper than a fan-made costume of this quality would ever be at the end of auction. But what CCC really evokes for me is the costumes in the display case at the Cape Cod Village Greeting Place, which is why I'm most likely gonna have to have the entire collection. As much reservation as I have about the pricing strategy (kind of the polar opposite of my feelings about US Disney - the irony is not lost on me and yes, i plan to be far more careful what i wish for from here on out), if the materials and construction really are on the same level as what Imagineers created for that case, these will be fantasy heirloom items. Heck, I'll adopt kids just to have some to pass these on to!^^ That's really what they look like to me, and that's a great achievement.

Still, I will also add that I'm a little frustrated thinking that the official designers are taking so many cues from the cottage industry Yahoo!ers. Not only does it feel more like stylebiting than homage, they should be blowing the doors off with highly original designs. While this set is wonderfully Cape Cod, I hope the future sets get a little bolder... I'm thinking here of the Raincoat (which Shellie still needs) and the Halloween Cat. Those are quintessential Duffy in my mind. Still, I'm pretty sure once I see these in person, they're likely to become my new default faves. I love how well they match each other, I love the personality of the characters in them, I love how versatile the individual pieces are, I the shoes and I'm pretty sure that in person they're gonna be absolutely irresistable...and I'm not gonna get to eat for a couple of days.

The issue for me is the dramatic degree of the price hike. It's not double, but it's close. Considering the already fantastic quality standard for Duffy costumes at TDS, I'm having a difficult time understanding what it is that makes these that much better. I can clearly see that they look more expensive than typical releases, even by Tokyo standards. But double? I'm not seeing that yet. Although if you really can see it live and they really do only release four sets, I'm sold. I hope it's one year only at this level, though. Personally, I've just identified my reasonable limit for Duffy merchandise. The Steiff bear crossed it, and Cannery Clothing Company sits precisely on the line.
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 10-01-2011 at 03:12 PM.

• Adventures with Duffy

Does anyone have an idea about how well this will sell at this price point with average guest? I'm sure Duffy fans will buy them or at least one. I just hope the price point doesn't detract from new fans or fans who have just started. Because that would be so sad.

I'm not up on world economy other then I know the US economy sucks. Can the average Japaniesse guest afford a costume at this price point? With all that has happened in Japan this year I'm sure there isn't as much fun money going around. People are rebuilding.

---------- Post added 09-30-2011 at 12:10 PM ----------

Oh I forgot, what's up with the shorter pant leg? Capris? Longer pant legs is why I love TDS pants over BaB. Yes I have bought a costume for the pants and shoes before. Hi I'm Janell and I'm a Duffy a holic if these prices keep going up like this we may need a 10 step program lol

D
    uffeteer
    Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics

• Surfin the net with Duffy

OMG these costumes are beyond adorable. I have just had to add another 250 dollars to my souveneer budget for my trip!! uggh! I hope they stil have them when I am there 10/18!!!!

We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

• Lemony Goodness

Ugh... I'm IN LOVE with the new outfits but that is just WAY out of my budget.. It's a big risk, I think because this limits the audience. Not to mention the Halloween one was kinda expensive, too.. I'm getting nervous for the holiday season! I would love to get Duffy and Shellie new outfits, but I cant break the bank.

Those new outfits are adorable, mostly Shelly's .

However, I'm shocked about the price also, I wonder why is like that, I guess its a very limited release or the fabrics are of top quality , I hope they add bigger pics so we could see.

Quote Originally Posted by LilTeacup View Post
    Ugh... I'm IN LOVE with the new outfits but that is just WAY out of my budget.. It's a big risk, I think because this limits the audience. Not to mention the Halloween one was kinda expensive, too.. I'm getting nervous for the holiday season! I would love to get Duffy and Shellie new outfits, but I cant break the bank.
    Agree, they are pretty but there's no way I can afford that, I hope this its just a special release and for the cristhmas ones they could have the regular prices from before this set, or this could be the end of collecting Duffy stuff for many people.

• Become part of MY world!

WoW! I am just in shock of these costumes! At first glance they are beyond cute!(although I don't get the sudden need to have Shellie's costumes with shorts now....not my cup of tea) but at that price? Just WOW! I showed them to my bf and he instantly said HELL NO to the price! I'm also so very confused as to what would justify that price! It's more than I spend on my own clothes! I think I'll have to skip these, but will always want them.

---------- Post added 09-30-2011 at 09:09 PM ----------

Hmmm just notice the costumes have a small little badge of a bear on the jackets. Can't tell if it's embroidery or a pin. Maybe that's the reason for the high cost?
    Poor unfortunate Souls.

Question Re: FINALLY!!! NEW Duffy Goods at Tokyo DisneySEA!!!^^

Summary: Though I will probably find the money to buy the CCC releases, I think how I feel is this: At 3000~6000 each, Duffy costumes are a go-ahead-and-spoil-yourself cute addict treat; at 9000 Duffy begins to seem like a luxury brand marketed to and created exclusively for the wealthy. That sentiment is just not "Duffy" to me, and takes away from the sense of him as a bonafide character, which is already a hard-won battle. Until now, Tokyo Duffy releases have cost 3000~5000, but in quality felt like a 10K value. It's hard for me to imagine that these will feel worth double or triple their asking price. I think they should have called CCC a "special/deluxe/luxury edition." That would have made it all okay for me. Non-collector fans wouldn't feel pressured and collectors would have a value-add. Many Japanese bloggers are protesting and saying they won't buy it. I kinda wish I could, but I really do love these and I think I'd regret not having a set too much. The costumes are what made Duffy "real," and these are as real as it gets. I just wish I could shake this feeling that the pricing inflation is disproportionately exaggerated, based precisely on the company knowing I'll feel this way and on the way that US Duffy has created disdain for a "cheap" version, rather than squarely on increased production value.

Quote Originally Posted by Janell View Post
    Does anyone have an idea about how well this will sell at this price point with average guest? I'm sure Duffy fans will buy them or at least one. I just hope the price point doesn't detract from new fans or fans who have just started. Because that would be so sad.

I'm not up on world economy other then I know the US economy sucks. Can the average Japaniesse guest afford a costume at this price point? With all that has happened in Japan this year I'm sure there isn't as much fun money going around. People are rebuilding...
    Yeah, considering the events of this year and the months it took for people to start feeling comfortable going back and spending time and money at Disney in a big way, this seems like a strangely timed release to me. I share the concern that it might turn off new fans, but am honestly less concerned about that than the way it divides the fanbase, something Gurgi mentioned earlier. As everyone here knows, I believe in both each park having interesting original offerings and in Tokyo's "indulgent" quality standards when it comes to Duffy. But if the new all-the-time costumes are gonna be ¥8900, that may be it for me. That's a lot of money. I guess "real" teddy bear and doll collectors pay considerably more for considerably smaller and less flexible pieces... But I just think this, again, changes what Duffy is. This makes Duffy no longer an occasional "treat" for your Disney or seasonal holiday spirits. Now you have to be mega-hardcore or you're missing out on the costume releases.

*And isn't this a line where parents might start saying "no?" In Japan, Duffy is clearly more of an adult collector item than a child's item, but every kid has one, too, these days. I think many parents would buy the ¥3000~4000 costumes without hesitation, since Build-A-Bear costs only slightly less here for a complete outfit. But ¥9000 each might be the point where a parent decides no more Duffy...ever. Because OLC has made them disappoint their child. And with Christmas and New Year's just around the corner. Hm...

Quote Originally Posted by LilTeacup View Post
    That's the thing, it really is a risk. If people start to feel disappointed about not being able to afford the "premium" costumes, they may just decide to skip out on Duffy support altogether. The problem with this price is that it makes even people like me begin to question the value of spending so much for a teddy bear. At around ¥4000, or even ¥6000, it still feels just like an indulgence for myself, a special gift. But as we inch closer to ¥10K, even I wonder if the quality can truly be justified. I'm just not sure. The thing is, now that I've started collecting, if I don't have these - the very best Duffy costumes ever made - it feels like my collection itself isn't complete and loses value. I can accept not getting the WAY-expensive Steiff bear, and I don't buy the costumes that I don't particularly love. But skipping a costume I love solely because of pricing makes me conscious that price matters and that thought undermines the spending whimsy that facilitates the whole Duffy hobby for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire-Light View Post
    Those new outfits are adorable, mostly Shelly's .

However, I'm shocked about the price also, I wonder why is like that, I guess its a very limited release or the fabrics are of top quality ...

Agree, they are pretty but there's no way I can afford that, I hope this its just a special release and for the cristhmas ones they could have the regular prices from before this set, or this could be the end of collecting Duffy stuff for many people.
    I'm sure that the fabrics are of what would even be considered impeccable quality for human clothing. I imagine there is no paint or glue used anywhere on these and that stitching is probably both exquisitely beautiful and ruggedly durable. The embroidery is likely to be perfect, with no stray threads and including strong backing. Liners and labels will surely be stitched in and gorgeous; I imagine that even the labels inside the shoes will be embroidered, not printed. They appear to use molded metal buttons, hopefully with a unique Disney/Duffy mark. They will be nothing short of gorgeous. The thing is, though, if I start to feel like only the fans who spend a lot of money have the "real" Duffy, I won't like it. That's what bothers me about the American releases. They didn't even start by offering a variety of products so that fans who were willing to spend just a little bit more on a domestically-offered product could afford the same quality standard as Japan. By not releasing anything with equal quality construction, accessories, packaging or presentation; they forced fans who want a "genuine" Duffy experience to import, and pay a premium for doing so. I don't think they should just have Japan's releases, but it would be nice for them to match them in quality. In my mind, it drew a line, making Japan's Duffy more authentic. Honestly, because of the Japan Disney community's work, this doesn't bother me horribly, but it is an issue that could not exist. And it could inspire Duffy to be and do more, and Disney to be and do more with him.

This thing, though... This is different. This is a line drawn between people who can pay $100 for a teddy bear costume and those who can't. If it was treated as a "special release," numbered and limited, I could accept it. Collectors who don't buy it could just feel they stay away from the uber-luxury releases. But as it stands, it just looks like the Duffy fandom prices have been raised from the foundation. I'm not sure how I feel about this yet. I'll tell you, though, a lot of Japanese bloggers are saying "No!" to this and that they're not buying it. Where Steiff bears and expensive watches and jewelry seem not to ruffle any fluff, this release seems to have more than a few people pulling their stuffing out...

Quote Originally Posted by Ursulalvr View Post
    ...I think I'll have to skip these, but will always want them...
    I think this feeling says it all. This is a biiig risk that could alienate parts of the fanbase. That said, owning costumes of the same quality level as the display items in Cape Cod Village Greeting Place will be like a dream come true. It really is a dilemma.

By the way, Ursulalvr, how can you be sure that "pin" is a bear? I'm not even sure whether it's embroidery or a button or a pin or what???
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 10-01-2011 at 04:47 PM.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast