View Poll Results: What do you think Duffy's relationship to Shellie May is?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sweethearts

14 56.00%
  • Brother/Sister

2 8.00%
  • Just Friends

8 32.00%
  • Other (please explain)

1 4.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• ~*Princess*~

Re: Duffy's Relationship to Shellie May... What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    The "twins" you're referring to are most likely Morty and Ferdy... Mickey's NEPHEWS (like how Huey, Dewey & Louie are to Donald), not kids. Minnie also has 3 nieces: April, May & June. The nieces were only featured in a few of the old comic books back in the day. Morty & Ferdy were regularly featured in the comic books too.
    The keychain my friend got me of Mickey and Minnie with the two (one boy and one girl) while she was in Tokyo Disney says their twins... It's two sides of a heart since she knew I'd have fun giving one to my boyfriend and attached to the chain of the heart is one of the babies. :/ I honestly don't think those nephews would be in it.

• Felice Natale!

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering View Post
    The keychain my friend got me of Mickey and Minnie with the two (one boy and one girl) while she was in Tokyo Disney says their twins... It's two sides of a heart since she knew I'd have fun giving one to my boyfriend and attached to the chain of the heart is one of the babies. :/ I honestly don't think those nephews would be in it.
    Morty and Ferdie are twins, and that's definitely who's featured on your keychain. Tokyo s Mortimer and Ferdinand Mouse. Mickey and Minnie do not have children, in Japan or anywhere else, although I do think most Japanese see them as married and a large amount of merchandise and key visuals perpetuates and popularizes this image here. Still, no children, though. The closest we get is a dream sequence from the 1932 film, Mickey's Nightmare:

However, there are way more than two kids here, and as the title suggests, they are little terrors. Also, and more on point, they are absolutely not real. The young Mice on your keychain are Morty and Ferdie. Mickey and Minnie have no offspring.

I hope Duffy and Shellie remain platonic and practicing universal love. Just keeping on topic.
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 08-14-2011 at 05:41 PM.

• I also like Stitch!

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    The "twins" you're referring to are most likely Morty and Ferdy... Mickey's NEPHEWS (like how Huey, Dewey & Louie are to Donald), not kids. Minnie also has 3 nieces: April, May & June. The nieces were only featured in a few of the old comic books back in the day. Morty & Ferdy were regularly featured in the comic books too.
    April May and June are Daisy's neices

• ~*Princess*~

DuffyDaisuki - Then why is one very clearly a girl? XD Unless one of them likes to crossdress. :P But blah, I'll just go with they screwed up the keychain though, I do have to say I think it's a little creepy to just have their nephews randomly as cupid alongside them in a heart.

• Felice Natale!

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering View Post
    DuffyDaisuki - Then why is one very clearly a girl? XD Unless one of them likes to crossdress. :P But blah, I'll just go with they screwed up the keychain though, I do have to say I think it's a little creepy to just have their nephews randomly as cupid alongside them in a heart.
    Now I'm really curious to see a photo of this. Minnie has twin nieces, too, Melody and Millie. I don't think it's screwed up or creepy. It is a charming element of Tokyo Disney style to use obscure characters to accent key visuals. 2009 Christmas featured both the Duck and Mouse nephews in some of the best Christmas merchandise ever. In this artwork, all five of the nephews were depicted as angelic cherubs with wings. It actually sounds pretty similar.

Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 08-15-2011 at 03:28 PM.

• Munchings & Crunchings

It's possible that that keychain depicts both the adult Mickey & Minnie, and their baby counterparts. There is the whole "Disney Babies" line, so that's a possibility.

---------- Post added 08-15-2011 at 12:08 PM ----------

You know what's interesting? Disney has found a way to give the main couples children without, you know, actually procreating. It's a way to keep them innocent and no thoughts of "sex" at all. Donald, Daisy, Mickey, and Minnie, all manage to inherit their nieces and nephews. It's a way to let them be parents without actually having any of them be married.

The only exception to this is Goofy, and that's a very interesting case, because he's a single father, and Max is truly his son. I think that's ironic. Goofy, who seems to be always unlucky in love, manages to find a wife and have a son.

• I also like Stitch!

I would very much like to see all the characters married though

• Felice Natale!

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyfan5534 View Post
    I would very much like to see all the characters married though
    This is really becoming a separate thread now... But why is it necessary to see all of the characters paired off in hetero couples and married. I guess I would very much like to see a gay couple imbued with Disney's brand of fairytale magic and innocent love, but I'm not holding my breath. I remember what happened when I finally got to see the black "princess" I'd been hoping for my whole life...

In an attempt to keep on topic, I just have to say that the apparently growing number of people who see Duffy and Shellie romantically is startling to me. Duffy is the one character who doesn't force upon me the idea that a (hetero)sexually compatible mate is necessary in order to feel complete, as echoed by mickeyfan5534 above. Both Duffy and Shellie become immediately less complex (at least to me) in the love they represent and less interesting as individual characters as soon as they have to be "in crush/love/lust" with each other. It robs them of that pure and open love that teddy bears represent, so, in fact, it makes them less appealing than generic teddies. It strips away the uniquely universal love that teddy bears traditionally embody. I hope that the official line never goes in this direction, as I would immediately sell (or burn) my Duffy collection.

Every Duffy is Duffy, so they can do whatever you want them to at your house. If you wanna see Duffy and Shellie May making out or getting it on or getting hitched (even if you see them as toddlers), I suppose that's your prerogative. But to insist, as ChessurInWonderland does, that even when the word friend is used repeatedly, the message is still obviously that they are "sweethearts, friends with a bit of a mutual crush and love for each other..." This just feels forced to me, and speaks to the mainstream agenda that needs everyone to fall in line in order to feel secure.

Of course Duffy and Shellie May love each other; they love everyone. That's their thing. But why do they have to have crushes on each other? They're not even animals. They are plush toys. They have no "parts." Can't there just be one unique relationship in the Disneyverse? What does it add to the characters to make them gaga for each other? How is that new? How is that love better than universal? How does that make them more genuine or enhance their charm? And it begs another question: why do some straight (and gay, to be fair^^) people, religious zealots, racists, etc so desperately need everyone - even animated fictional characters - to see and be in the world exactly the same way that they have chosen to? I will never understand what it is that drives this need to (hetero)sexualize innocent animated cartoon characters. There's an image on some goods at DisneySEA that has Daisy and Donald half-hidden in a little shack on the pier, Donald looking flushed and little hearts flying around; it's actually a little racy. It's okay for them, because Daisy's pretty sexy and Donald's had some sex-crazed moments - it's part of their characters. I don't think this is who Duffy is or ever should be. I don't need to see Duffy as gay just because I am. And I certainly don't feel the need to encourage everyone else to see him that way. I want Duffy to be Duffy. And honestly, I'm happy just to have one Disney character who's not shoving the agenda in my face that "hetero=normal and good," with its flip-side implication.

As with the keychain Wondering mentions, almost all of these "pair goods" are clearly gendered, like an ever-present flashing sign that says, "Your love is not valid. You do not belong. Why are you even here?" And yet so many gay people identify with Disney's particular brand of "magic." Try this next time you go to the parks: Try imagining how it would feel to be a gay couple of Disney fans who believe in fairytale romance and cute-for-cute's-sake design and want to celebrate the day with charming goods that say "we are together and this is our special day of memories and magic." Notice how much more effort it takes, and how often you just feel like maybe that kind of love really is only for straight people. That really does seem to be the message, at least. It must be nice to be able to "have fun" giving one side of the heart to your boyfriend and not have to spend time resewing or tinkering to remove bows from one or add bows to another so that it represents you. In Duffy's world, there is only love, with no limitations or specific representations and I think that's amazing.

I'm not trying to take away from anyone's romantic view if that's what floats your boat. I just feel a tide coming, and I think Disney is likely to respond, especially if Shellie ever makes it to the US, by officially establishing their relationship in some romantic way - dumbed down and easy for the masses. "Safe." You see it in music all the time. The band you loved until they "sold out" with mainstream success. Most of the time people who scream "sell out!" were never real fans anyway, but sometimes it's true and they're right. Though the masses tend to get their way; it's profitable. The Company tends to move further in the direction of what is common, easy and safe in order to seal the deal with the masses. I really, really hope that never happens with Duffy.

The one project that comes to mind recently that almost completely avoided this and stayed true to its vision was Nickelodeon's Avatar: The Last Airbender. At least until the live-action film, which was such a total perversion of the characters, world - everything - that it pretty much balanced out the fact that the series kept its integrity. I pray that anyone who's seen that film has also seen the animated series in its entirety. And yet, in the very last scene - like the last five seconds - there's this completely unnecessary love theme that was, in fairness, slightly alluded to early on and at rare, occasional moments but never fully developed and had no real payoff at the end. It's the only part of the entire series that felt forced. Honestly, it felt to me like it was there just to make sure that the audience could rest assured that the hero liked girls, like he's supposed to...and to set up a sequel franchise. Again, profitability.

Also, mickeyfan5534, I don't know where you got that they're "threeish." Duffy runs a cafe and Shellie seems to work there as a waitress, too. I don't know many three-year-olds who could pull that off. They are teddy bears. Even surprisingly magical to other characters in a world of talking Mice and Ducks. They are special - ageless and innocent. I never wanna see them making out or dressed up in either baby clothes nor wedding attire. But that's the thing, every Duffy is Duffy...for now. But as more and more people clamor for "sweethearts," someday, it'll become the official line. That will break my heart. Not just because of the agenda it represents, but because I sincerely and strongly believe it unnecessarily narrows and weakens both characters' potential.

The fact is that Duffy didn't even have a female counterpart for years, and was actually either non-gendered, ambigendered or a crossdresser. I feel a wave of people coming with a heterosexual agenda and I just want it out there that there was a time when that agenda couldn't even be considered as plausible. Even now that Duffy is definitely "he" and Shellie is definitely "she," as far as I can tell, there's nothing overtly sexual about them or their relationship - this is important to me. I worry that as Duffy's mainstream popularity grows, the Company will eventually force Duffy and Shellie into positions that don't seem, to me at least, to be their nature. Besides the fact that I think teddy bears embody a love that transcends sex, I have always loved (and been grateful) that Duffy is a character I can identify with because he doesn't inherently challenge my own identity. Duffy's the only character who has any of this, and I hope it's never taken away.

• I also like Stitch!

I just had a horrible vision of Disney making a wedding Duffy and Shelly May for when you get married at one of there parks. I just shuttered.
    EDIT: Nice rant though. I like a good rant every now and then

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    T I guess I would very much like to see a gay couple imbued with Disney's brand of fairytale magic and innocent love, but I'm not holding my breath.
    Peter Pan & Captain Hook?

I'm with you though... Why should all the characters be paired off and married like that? I don't like that idea one bit. Might be my own personal stance regarding marriage (it's just not for me). Just being sweethearts/best friends is good enough and it works that way. Like the old saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

• Felice Natale!

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyfan5534 View Post
    ...Nice rant though. I like a good rant every now and then
    Yeah, it's been a while for me, but that was just really building up...

• Munchings & Crunchings

I appreciate the rant. I agree with most of it. I love that everybody's Duffy and ShellieMay can be whatever they want. As long as the official line stays ambiguous that can happen. I still see Japanese fans dressing Duffy as a girl sometimes, even though Shellie was supposed to take on that role.

If Disney does decide to bring ShellieMay to the US, I'm not sure they would go as far as ever having them married. Sure, Mickey and Minnie are available as wedding decor, and have been for years. Officially, they aren't married. In fact, there was a point where the company seriously considered a huge marketing campaign to have a "wedding" and get some publicity, but they decided against that.

I doubt that Disney would ever go that far with Duffy and ShellieMay. I don't see OLC doing it either. Even Donald and Daisy, with their more overtly flirty ways aren't married. So, I think Disney wants to keep things open for people to interpret them however they want. Sure, it's heterosexual, but I'm glad they aren't marrying off all their pairs.

I remember when ShellieMay was introduced, and we kind of had a fit. Especially because they had images of ShellieMay batting her eyes at Duffy. I think at the time we thought they would really push that romantic angle. However, since then, they have dialed it down, and even this past Sweet Duffy, they didn't push a romantic angle. They had both bears working in a cafe to make everybody else happy, which in turn, made them happy.

I love having that innocence about them, and I hope it always stays that way. As for age...I guess they're timeless. Not adults, but not kids either. Although, I will admit, mine act more like kids...

• ~*Princess*~

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    Now I'm really curious to see a photo of this.
    I'll see if I can find them--Mine is on my old cellphone that my mom moved and my boyfriend's

And well, I don't have issues with them being angels :P I just thought it was a bit odd (especially if you guys are saying they have so many more nieces and nephews and only two are featured) that it'd be nephews compared to kids. I still love it though!

...Who the heck are Mickey and Minnie's siblings though? XD

As for plush toys, well, Winnie the Pooh is a whole story of plush toys and Kanga does have Baby Roo :P But yeah, not all characters have to be married, but characters that aren't straight can get married too.

I do, however, get really sad when a pairing gets broken up--I don't mind if some/all are single (I believe Goofy is...except when he has Max. I don't even know if a mother is discussed there though) and know it wasn't directed towards me, but I guess I just wanted to give another perspective to it. But yeah, I'm still sad over Woody and Bo

Gurgi - Indeed, kind of like how my Pink Disney Bear is a girl. I've always seen Duffy as a boy though, but I guess if someone got their Duffy to be a girl, there's no harm in still pretending he is, right?

And the idea of it being their baby counterparts is definitely possible--I didn't think of that

• Munchings & Crunchings

"...Who the heck are Mickey and Minnie's siblings though? XD"

Now that's a good question! I have no idea. I wonder if it was ever said in one of the Disney comics?

I know Donald has a sister named Dumbella who sent his nephews to live with him. Daisy...I don't know who her sibling is either. I guess Donald is the only one who seems to have full custody of his nephews. The other sets seem to just come over for visits.

And yeah, they have never official said who Max's mother was. I know there were cartoons that depicted Goofy (called George Geef) with a wife and son in some of his "how-to" shorts, but that's not Max, and it's sort of not cannon anyway.

• ~*Princess*~

That's really neat Yeah, I think Donald's side of the family seems to the biggest dig in to the history of it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast