View Poll Results: What do you think Duffy's relationship to Shellie May is?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sweethearts

14 56.00%
  • Brother/Sister

2 8.00%
  • Just Friends

8 32.00%
  • Other (please explain)

1 4.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Duffy's Relationship to Shellie May... What do you think?

In light of DuffyD's suggestion for a poll.... What do you think?

And feel free to add any discussion!
    Last edited by aimster; 07-05-2011 at 05:03 PM.

Re: Duffy's Relationship to Shellie May... What do you think?

I like to think of Duffy and Shellie as sweethearts but in an "innocent" way much like Mickey and Minnie. I guess it's the romantic in me wanting everyone to be happily coupled. :P

• ~*Princess*~

I think they are advertised as sweethearts but I also see it as Shellie May having a crush on Duffy and Duffy just...being oblivious XD

Quote Originally Posted by madoka View Post
    I like to think of Duffy and Shellie as sweethearts but in an "innocent" way much like Mickey and Minnie. I guess it's the romantic in me wanting everyone to be happily coupled. :P
    When I said that shelliemay was duffy's girlfriend thats what I was thinking that they are like mickey and minnie!

• Lemony Goodness

I think they're besties. I had a boy as a best best best friend all throughout my pre-k and elementary years and there was no thought of gooey mushy stuff like that. I think that Duffy and Shellie May are both young souls and are too innocent to be thinking of such matters. Shellie May is just very cute and girly to me and I like to think of her as a little sweetie to everyone, with no exception to Duffy. It's easy to see a male and female together and assume they're together - it happens all the time at my school (Especially to me because I have a lot of friends who happen to be boys) and Duffy and Shellie are no exception.

But this is just my opinion.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Quote Originally Posted by LilTeacup View Post
    I think they're besties. I had a boy as a best best best friend all throughout my pre-k and elementary years and there was no thought of gooey mushy stuff like that. I think that Duffy and Shellie May are both young souls and are too innocent to be thinking of such matters. Shellie May is just very cute and girly to me and I like to think of her as a little sweetie to everyone, with no exception to Duffy. It's easy to see a male and female together and assume they're together - it happens all the time at my school (Especially to me because I have a lot of friends who happen to be boys) and Duffy and Shellie are no exception.

But this is just my opinion.
    This! It's exactly how I feel about them too. They do cute things for each other, but not in a romantic way. Even the Sweet Duffy, where the adults are being romantic, I feel like Duffy and ShellieMay are just being good friends to each other. The only time I've felt that TDS was pushing a romantic angle was when ShellieMay was introduced, and some of the artwork had her looking kind of wistfully at Duffy. I'd like to think that was not what the intention was, but that's just me. I'm definitely not knocking anybody else's interpretations of their relationship either.

Like DuffyD always says, "Every Duffy is Duffy", and the same goes for ShellieMay. They have the name, but they are all different.

• Felice Natale!

Thumbs up Re: Duffy's Relationship to Shellie May... What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    The poll sounds like a great idea. It's not a "you have to think this way about ShellieMay", but more of an understanding of just how varied everybody's thoughts on her are. I'm in the camp of her being a close friend of Duffy's, and both of them being too innocent and young to have any romantic feelings. My ShellieMay is a bit of a tomboy, but likes being girly too. Climbing trees and tea parties are totally things she loves.
    Absolutely!

I that there are so many perspectives on this, as long as none of them is forced as canon by the Company. That's my only reason for always bringing up the sibling or friend option when people say they are sweethearts. One of the immediate draws for me with Duffy was that he wasn't a "paired off" character. I don't personally see them as "young," though. More like ageless. And with the kind of wise innocence or innocent wisdom of the enlightened. Teddy bears are kind of similar in function to bodhisattvas, I think.

• Future Cast Member

Well according to the story in the Duffy FAQ, Shellie May was created when Duffy liked Minnie being Mickey's "friend" and wanted a "friend" of his own, so Minnie made Shellie Mae. So the word "friend" is used for both Mickey and Minnie's relationship and Duffy and Shellie May's, so both pairs would have parallel relationships, and Mickey and Minnie are more like sweethearts, friends with a bit of a mutual crush and love for each other, so I think Duffy and Shellie May are, too.

I have always thought of them to be sweethearts, but all the different perspectives make me reconsider...

• I also like Stitch!

Quote Originally Posted by ChessurInWonderland View Post
    Mickey and Minnie are more like sweethearts.
    No Mickey and Minnie are married. So That would mean Duffy and Shelly May are Sweethearts because they're only threeish.

• Quality not quantity

Ohh! "Duffy" I read that as "Dusty" which gives this thread a whole different spin.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyfan5534 View Post
    No Mickey and Minnie are married. So That would mean Duffy and Shelly May are Sweethearts because they're only threeish.
    Ummmm... ¿Que? No they're not married. Where did you get this from?

• I also like Stitch!

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Ummmm... ¿Que? No they're not married. Where did you get this from?
    In an interview Walt said that Mickey and Minnie are married.

• ~*Princess*~

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyfan5534 View Post
    In an interview Walt said that Mickey and Minnie are married.
    I know in Japan they are at least considered married (And have twins no less). I never knew it was confirmed they were married in the US too though--I thought they were just dating.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering View Post
    I know in Japan they are at least considered married (And have twins no less). I never knew it was confirmed they were married in the US too though--I thought they were just dating.
    The "twins" you're referring to are most likely Morty and Ferdy... Mickey's NEPHEWS (like how Huey, Dewey & Louie are to Donald), not kids. Minnie also has 3 nieces: April, May & June. The nieces were only featured in a few of the old comic books back in the day. Morty & Ferdy were regularly featured in the comic books too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast