Yahoo Japan Auctions?

Does anybody know how you can pay with paypal on the yahoo auction japan? I want to bid on duffy items but can't becasue it says i don't have any funds and they have a payment method on there that I can't use cause i'm in the us, yet they let me sign up to have an account so I can bid it makes no sense at all, i can bit but i can never win an item because i can't use there payment method

• ~*Princess*~

Re: Yahoo Japan Auctions?

You can't. Most people in Japan use bank transfers and things, not paypal. In fact, it's rare they will have a Paypal which is why so few use Ebay.

Thus why a bidding service is needed :/ Even if you had a friend or family in Japan who could ship you the stuff, unless they know how that system works and could also do the money transfers and things for you, you still can't actually buy anything.

Though, if you are bidding yourself, I would recommend making sure they do say they ship anywhere as most auctions on there are Japan only.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Thumbs up Re: Yahoo Japan Auctions?

Quote Originally Posted by Erika Glagowski View Post
    Does anybody know how you can pay with paypal on the yahoo auction japan? I want to bid on duffy items but can't becasue it says i don't have any funds and they have a payment method on there that I can't use cause i'm in the us, yet they let me sign up to have an account so I can bid it makes no sense at all, i can bit but i can never win an item because i can't use there payment method
    Almost no one uses PayPal in Japan. Both eBay and PayPal failed to make any serious attempt to enter this market until very recently. The dominance of Yahoo! Auction and Japan Post bank transfers is apparently ubiquitous. Cautiously conservative Japanese consumers are unlikely to trust/embrace a new system that offers no benefit. For example, where PayPal's system is incredibly complicated and packed with fees for both buyers and sellers, a Japan Post account is free to Japanese residents and it's also free to transfer payment to a seller. Cash-on-delivery is still a very common payment method in Japan, too, as well as paying in convenience stores. Japan is still a heavily cash-based society; although more and more transactions use virtual cash, credit is still sen by many as a risky concept. It is a different economic ecosystem.

As far as your ability to sign up, I think that makes perfect sense. You are simply registering for a Yahoo! Japan account. You could also register for Hotmail Japan or Yahoo! España even if you can't understand Japanese or Spanish. The Internet is open like that, and Yahoo! Japan has no responsibility for whether or not you have a Japanese bank account or Japanese address. I'm pretty sure eBay doesn't actually require a PayPal account at the time of registration either. In fact, I don't think registration requires a credit card or bank account nor any other method of payment in order to set up the account. This is not unusual or unique. Yahoo! Japan and eBay merely provide a platform and marketplace; they are not responsible for buyers' and sellers' ability to transfer funds or complete transactions. That's a personal responsibility.

By the way, even with a Japanese bank account or the extremely rare seller who accepts a non-Japanese method of payment, most sellers on Yahoo! Japan do not ship internationally. It is so rare, on fact, that I would be wary of such an offer. At best, I would suspect extreme price inflation and at worst, some kind of scam.

Unfortunately, as Wondering says, this forces people outside Japan to require a proxy buying service. I have thought many times about my desire to extend Duffy Post to include this assistance, but it is such a troublesome service to offer that I'm not sure I'd be willing to do it fir less than the existing services. It means being available at multiple times whenever auctions finish, comparative pricing research for a customer who probably doesn't understand even rudimentary Japanese, and spending time making contact with a seller using my own limited Japanese, as well as sharing my personal contact and banking information with the seller while the actual buyer's information remains protected, seen only by me. Technically, this also means that I, rather than the actual buyer, become legally liable as proxy bidder, even if the buyer flakes out. I'd like to help folks with this, as I use Yahoo! Auctions all the time, but I think these issues are likely to ensure my reluctance for at least the immediately forseeable future.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

As far as your ability to sign up, I think that makes perfect sense. You are simply registering for a Yahoo! Japan account. You could also register for Hotmail Japan or Yahoo! España even if you can't understand Japanese or Spanish.
    This is true, as I have an iTunes Japan account, so I could download the free version of Taiko no Tatsujin (the drumming game), for my iPhone as it's only available on iTunes Japan's App Store.

Thanks so much for the info. sometimes I wish that person on ebay didn't have to put his prices so hight for one duffy costume, its ridiculous!