Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What Duffy Bear would you like to see at the parks?

I think there should be more park themed costumes or bears in general at the parks!

I'd love to have a Haunted Mansion themed Duffy Bear What about you?
    2008- Off site
    2010- Pop Century
    2011- Contemporary

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: What Duffy Bear would you like to see at the parks?

You mean the plush bears or the costumed character?

If you mean the plushies.... we want COSTUMES, not more pre-dressed bears. So a Haunted mansion COSTUME for the 17" bears would be awesome. I'd love to see more World Showcase costumes (Norway, Italy, Morocco) as well.

Plushies...I think pre-dressed bears are cute but i wish they made costumes more removable and had other 12" costume items. It would be easier for smaller children that way or for people who don't want the 17" Duffy. I like both and I agree more world show case costumes would be great! I also think they should make a Mickey Costume for him! With the bow tie and everything! It'd be so adorable!
    2008- Off site
    2010- Pop Century
    2011- Contemporary

Here's the thing though... the 12" bears cost the exact same as the 17" bears, $30. So no one can play the "too spendy" card regarding that. And collecting the 12" pre-dressed bears can be more expensive than buying costumes/clothes for the 17" bears because since the 12" bears are also $30, that's pretty much the cost of two costumes for the 17" bears. And then you figure in the cheaper cost of clothes/costumes from Build A Bear (if you go that route)... yeah in the long run if you really think about it, the 17" bear is a better value.

I also think they should make a Mickey Costume for him! With the bow tie and everything! It'd be so adorable!
    I believe TDS already did that a few years ago.

Yes it would be pricey- but if they made 12" ones where you could have clothes for them separately (like the 17" but smaller!) then i think it would be a big hit for smaller children, I've never been to TDS, I have only seen the costumes in WDW but I plan to go someday (Can't wait!!)
    2008- Off site
    2010- Pop Century
    2011- Contemporary

Thumbs up Re: What Duffy Bear would you like to see at the parks?

Quote Originally Posted by Surahrah View Post
    ...I'd love to have a Haunted Mansion themed Duffy Bear What about you?
    Welcome, Surahrah!^^ TDS 25th Anniversary Haunted Mansion was my first Duffy costume and my Duffy is the smiling Christmas version from 2008! I combined them to make a "Holiday Nightmare" outfit!

Thank you! I LOVE the outfit!! Thats such a cute idea! I really have no idea what costumes are out haha I wish I did but Duffy is still fairly new here. Do you have any idea where to find the Haunted Mansion costume?
    2008- Off site
    2010- Pop Century
    2011- Contemporary

Thank you! I LOVE the outfit!! Thats such a cute idea! I really have no idea what costumes are out haha I wish I did but Duffy is still fairly new here. Do you have any idea where to find the Haunted Mansion costume?
    It can still usually be bought on auction for a minimum of around ¥15,000. It is not available for retail sale anywhere, and I doubt it ever will be again. More and more, I am completely convinced that Tokyo quality is never coming to the US. US fans simply won't DEMAND it. I'm starting to think it's true, too, that most of them wouldn't pay for it. Which I don't really get... For me, if Duffy was anything less than Tokyo quality - even slightly - I would have no interest whatsoever. It is the quality that makes Duffy "Duffy." I don't know what people in the US even have to be excited about unless they spend a lot of time scoping out Tokyo and importing. I want Duffy to be successful there; I want everyone to love him everywhere. But I just feel like what's passing as Duffy in the US right now is NOT the same character/property AT ALL and it's really starting to bug me...

As a more succinct answer to your question, I would like to see them release something that feels like a genuine offering of an artist's work and self in a true attempt to connect and touch the heart. Tokyo releases, even when I don't buy them because I don't like them, never just feel "phoned in." There is no reason that Disney can't do this if it wants to. But if American fans are willing to get excited, jumping up and down and throwing money at obviously apathetic, mediocre work... Well, it begs the question, "Why bother?"

Sorry...the US Halloween/Tokyo Halloween parallel has been an absolutely SHOCKING let-down and reckoning for me.

I couldn't agree with you more! I'll keep an eye out for it thank you I read about him online a lot before my trip and when I saw him at EPCOT he was probably the character I felt the least awkward going to, I have no idea why and he was the sweetest thing I just fell in love with him! Im kicking myself for not getting a 17" one while I was there, I saw them so many times and was like "ohh I gotta get one" and then never got around to it but I'm probably going to order one off of amazon, I just can't resist him!! Hehe, I got the My First Duffy Bear from DMR and he is GREAT, I saw him in the parks and thought it was cute but once again, never got around to buying one. I wish so much that he was a bigger deal here. Everyone is like "ohh he's not a real character" but I think he is! He has more of a story than Figment, I only know what Figment is because of Wikipedia and I still haven't seen him!!

Would you like to specify a little bit more on what you mean by 'an artists work'. I think I know where you're coming from because some of the costumes (at least the ones here) are expected and I think they could do so much more but I still think a lot of them are cute. I'm probably going to buy the Sailor outfit for mine (once I get it lol)

I saw the Tokyo Halloween merchandise and was amazed, Duffy doesn't even have a website here yet!!! So honestly I don't know what halloween merchandise it out for him over here! It's really sad and I would think that the Americans (I am Canadian btw) would love him because he's cute and friendly but they just don't seem to
    2008- Off site
    2010- Pop Century
    2011- Contemporary

• ~*Princess*~

Quality isn't really everything though--I found it was the story that made Duffy, Duffy, not the quality. I don't know, I've been happy for every US outfit because at least we're getting something. I think the main issue is everyone is constantly comparing. Not to mention a lot of people don't actually know too much about the parks or even people I know who have been to the different parks and are big Disney fans hadn't heard of Duffy--there's still a lot of people who are out of the loop with the internet and technology and some people who just wouldn't care anyway because at least we have stuff here too.

There's always the chance that part of the lower quality is just how much the economy sucks right now--even if Disney has tons of money to go around, they know not everyone could be able to afford otherwise. Build a Bear has several different prices for a reason for a bear. Not to mention even big game companies have had to do price cuts and salary cuts recently--it's effecting a lot of people.

And I think the main issue people are thinking is that people are expecting it to be an exact exchange of the price. The truth is though, when it comes to things like that, it is the same everywhere. So something that is 250 dollars here may be 250 Euros/Pounds in Europe/England and 25,000 Yen in Japan. Currency-wise, the US would obviously be paying a lot more if they had to pay equal to the other two, but in the end, that isn't how it works.

The Japanese costumes don't seem that expensive because those people are paying, what would be if those costumes came to here and stuck to it, 35-50 dollars due to them paying anywhere from 3500 Yen to 5000 Yen. That is a lot better than 60+, plus shipping, plus fees, plus whatever else anyone has to pay right now if they don't live in Japan.

I honestly think the main issue is the exclusiveness everywhere right now. Duffy is supposed to be all about traveling and exploring and spreading love and happiness and yet everything is separated off. All outfits are exclusives to that country which kind of kills a lot of it. I mean, obviously, things like some of the new outfits here in the US where it says Disney World or Disney Land would exist, but I think if everything could be shared, it'd be a lot better--I mean, there are quite a few Japanese fans who are paying those overpriced amounts on Ebay for the US costumes too, because they want to collect it all as well.

What it comes down to is Japan and the US do things very differently. It isn't new--you can see it in how they cook, in how the city's are taken care of, in people's behavior, in the type of TV shows they air, in the type of game shows they have, in the type of games they develop, etc. etc. etc. That's just how it is--it's what makes them different. Comparing them isn't going to do anything because it isn't the same. They don't have the same mindset, people in the US are much more worried about how they'd look holding a bear--heck, My mom won't let me take them out for pictures and things as she's afraid they could get stolen when I step back to take a picture. I'm still arguing with her to let me take them to Disney :/

And nobody is forcing you to get the costumes--it's fine to dislike the costumes, in fact, I dislike some details, but just bashing it and tearing it down and assuming that Disney doesn't care is really rude and it's all because you keep comparing it.

People can't afford many things right now--my mom barely makes enough for the food each week right now (In fact, she's the one who told me to buy a few things for myself because I should stop being so worried and paranoid), we might have to sell our house, and there's a lot going on right now. People are losing their jobs, people have medical bills, people have to get new clothes and things, so it's nice to see costumes that people can afford at a cheaper price.

And yes, there is Build a Bear clothes which "come for more at the same price" but their focus is stuffed animals. That is all they focus on. And some of the outfits are a bit tight of Duffy and most of them have brands everywhere or the colors are really bright. And while they can work, some people still like to be able to get official costumes made for the bear they want. More often than not, if I go into Build a Bear and there's a special new limited bear, I get the special outfit that was made for them BECAUSE it was made for them. I could get them anything else, but something about getting what was made for that bear is a very nice feeling. But once again, comparisons are just silly because they have different focuses.

Just, seriously, why can't we be happy for -anything- right now?

I saw the Tokyo Halloween merchandise and was amazed, Duffy doesn't even have a website here yet!!! So honestly I don't know what halloween merchandise it out for him over here! It's really sad and I would think that the Americans (I am Canadian btw) would love him because he's cute and friendly but they just don't seem to
    Most characters don't have their own website here XD And since Duffy is really parks only, you'll have to look for updates in like the Official Disney Blog and here, but so far, the only thing we've heard Duffy is going to get here is this costume.

Last edited by Wondering; 08-22-2011 at 09:10 AM.

Im so sorry if I seemed rude/ ungrateful, I didn't mean to come off that way at all, I apologize

You share some really good points about the economy and price exchange. I don't have any issues with the prices and honestly I'd just be happy with buying one or two outfits and maybe even a couple from build a bear if I liked them! I don't think I want to collect every single outfit just the ones I like I also have no issues with the price, I think for a good quality teddy bear its about the same price and yes I know I am comparing but people pay the same price for one at BAB. As for the website, I meant it as in on the Disney Store site, they have no sign that Duffy even exists and I think it would be nice to see him on there.

Im really sorry about your financial situation I hate to see that happen to anyone, nobody deserves that I hope everything works out for you and your family.
    2008- Off site
    2010- Pop Century
    2011- Contemporary

Yeah money is tight everywhere. I had to scrimp and save to be able to get my Shellie May and stuff I got in the last DuffyPost. And as much as I adore the new TDS Halloween costumes, I just can't afford them right now. I'm only able to get the new sailor suit because my mom offered to cover me for it since she's getting one for her Duffy as well. So the only money of my own that I'm putting towards the next shopping trip is for the Tippy Blue strap. My mom is splitting the rest of the costs (gratuity, shipping, etc.) with me (I just need to let her know her half so she can send it when she sends me her half of the shipping).

That's why my bears are "slumming" it and wear mostly clothes from Build A Bear. But I LIKE the clothes from there, so for me it works. I'm really looking forward to their Halloween/Fall and Christmas/Winter offerings this year. I did see next month they're going to have Snoopy plushes available and his Joe Cool outfit too! I want that outfit for Duffy!

But I agree with Wondering, how the US and Japan do things are completely different in all aspects. From the parks right down to everyday life. But that's how it is and that's how it will always be. I wish the US parks did better quality and more interesting costumes for Duffy, but so far what we got is what we got. But at least they're trying to make an effort by doing these costume releases instead of doing nothing at all. But I still don't like the Christmas costume.

FYI, my mom cut the costume off her 12" Valentine's Duffy and started dressing him in "regular" clothes to go with her 17" Duffy, but she can still put the Valentine's stuff on him when next Valentine's Day rolls around.

• ~*Princess*~

A friend of mine joked around that I should buy the 12 inch outfits, have my neighbor edit them to make them fit 17 inch Duffy, and sell the extra bears @-@

Personally, I find the Christmas outfit cute! But I think the hat on the Halloween outfit looks silly--it looks more like a bowl or one of those propeller hats without the propeller than something fitting of a pumpkin. I'm more of an accessory person though--I like to mix and match and have bits and pieces as I rarely put all of an outfit on my bear XD

Surahrah - It was honestly a general thing! Don't apologize XD I'm sorry if I offended you or made you feel bad. But yes, he's not listed on the Disney Store as he's supposed to be park only for where you can get him (though, they do mail orders).

The main difference is though that Japan will do giant celebrations of characters with their events (Their shows and parades are much bigger than here in the US), but the US is more of a few merchandise for each character and then maybe a few big collectibles. It's just very different.
    Last edited by Wondering; 08-22-2011 at 08:06 AM.

Aimster- I've been thinking of cutting off my Duffy's night cap so he could wear regular clothes and not look silly with a random hat on him haha I love the villain costumes from BAB, also they have some really cute pants and shoes too! which is good because then Duffy won't get his paws dirty haha

Wondering- That way the 17" ones could wear the 40th anniversary clothes for WDW which I really liked haha. I love halloween so Im sure my Duffy will get a costume from somewhere even if I have to make it myself! He isnt sure whether he wants a scary or cute costume for this year, maybe he will go as Duffy the Vampire slayer!! (probably heard that one before but w/e lol) And Honestly I really didn't mean for it to come off as rude so my apologies.
    2008- Off site
    2010- Pop Century
    2011- Contemporary

Question Re: What Duffy Bear would you like to see at the parks?

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering View Post
    Quality isn't really everything though--I found it was the story that made Duffy, Duffy, not the quality. I don't know, I've been happy for every US outfit because at least we're getting something. I think the main issue is everyone is constantly comparing...

Yeah...I'm gonna go ahead and say no. Quality really is what makes this character. His story - the Japanese high-quality version - is awesome (even though Japanese writers and illustrators get no credit for it), but that alone would never have been enough. The quality is what sold him. Lots of Japanese fans have probably never even read the long version of the story, and it wasn't available anywhere in English before I translated it. So that's not what made the magic.

As far as being happy with whatever you get, I think that's exactly, precisely the problem. As long as you keep sending the message to Disney that you'll dutifully pay for whatever they throw your way, expect to continue to be unimpressed. The main issue is not "everyone is constantly comparing." The main issue is that the more low-quality Duffy merchandise they produce, the more people see Duffy and think, "What the heck is this overpriced-piece-o-crap-not-a-character bear-thing?" And the more that happens, the more Duffy's image is tarnished. People think they know what Duffy is and hate it, but they actually have NO idea. What's happening in America is not Duffy at all. They should either start loving the character or stop trying to pimp him, cashing in on the creativity of Japanese artists and fans who finally made their bad "Disney Bear" idea work. It's disgusting, and if you don't get it, I'm sorry. Cos it's the worst possible scenario for Duffy. And I Duffy...because he represents a Disney that doesn't think I'm a sheep with a checking account...at least, he does here.

It would be better that he stay exclusive to Japan than that he make lots of money for a Company that doesn't really care about him, doesn't respect the artists who created him enough to allow them to be credited, and only became interested in reviving the character when they saw they could market it as a "crazy Japanese phenomenon" and hoped that would help them make the same kind of cash as Tokyo. You go ahead and support that if you want to, but I won't sit here and let anybody fool themselves that such an attitude is in support of the character. US fans should be boycotting the Halloween release and all releases until Disney puts out something with real heart. It's not like they can't. If they don't, it's cos they don't care to and they don't think they have to bother. You just told them they're right.

There's always the chance that part of the lower quality is just how much the economy sucks right now--even if Disney has tons of money to go around, they know not everyone could be able to afford otherwise...

The Japanese costumes don't seem that expensive because those people are paying, what would be if those costumes came to here and stuck to it, 35-50 dollars due to them paying anywhere from 3500 Yen to 5000 Yen. That is a lot better than 60+, plus shipping, plus fees, plus whatever else anyone has to pay right now if they don't live in Japan.
    I don't know why you, as a customer, feel such a deep need to make excuses for a company that is ripping you off. If you think Disney can't sell higher quality costumes at the same price point, think again. Of course they could! They don't want to, because their profit margin is considerably higher than TDS I'll wager. They could be a little sympathetic to all these people hit so hard by the economy and produce some amazing quality stuff at easily affordable prices, to make kids smile. That'd be cool. Don't hold your breath, though.

It's true that in Japan Duffy stuff is not cheap, but relatively reasonable compared to the US when you figure the dollar-yen exchange rate. But Disney made Duffy and all of his base merchandise cheaper even than the dollar-yen exchange. In fact, my guess is that they could do the same thing with costumes, but I would hate to see the Japanese creative team and fans getting more taken advantage of by having Japanese stuff sold in the US for lower prices just because Americans demand to have everything cheap. That would be the day I gave up Duffy.

I honestly think the main issue is the exclusiveness everywhere right now. Duffy is supposed to be all about traveling and exploring and spreading love and happiness and yet everything is separated off. All outfits are exclusives to that country which kind of kills a lot of it. I mean, obviously, things like some of the new outfits here in the US where it says Disney World or Disney Land would exist, but I think if everything could be shared, it'd be a lot better--I mean, there are quite a few Japanese fans who are paying those overpriced amounts on Ebay for the US costumes too, because they want to collect it all as well.
    I can't understand why Japanese fans want the American costumes at all, except that the hats fit better than Build-A-Bear. It really blows my mind... I have never been a "completist," even as a kid. I want what I want and I like what I like, and that's that. As far as exclusivity, though, I did not like that Cape Cod's Christmas costumes got shipped to Hong Kong last year and I would not like the US or France getting OLC-designed costumes, either. OLC worked hard for Duffy - blood, sweat and tears of joy - Disney does not deserve to just waltz in and take the soul out of that for some fast cash. No. NO. NO!

What it comes down to is Japan and the US do things very differently. It isn't new--you can see it in how they cook, in how the city's are taken care of, in people's behavior, in the type of TV shows they air, in the type of game shows they have, in the type of games they develop, etc. etc. etc. That's just how it is--it's what makes them different. Comparing them isn't going to do anything because it isn't the same. They don't have the same mindset, people in the US are much more worried about how they'd look holding a bear...
    I'm gonna choose to believe you weren't intentionally talking to me like I haven't actually lived here for the past ten years and just say that I agree. The Japanese are much more comfortable with and sophisticated about what cute means, as they are with nearly everything to do with design, when compared with average Americans. The average American, apparently, will accept anything and should feel good about that for some reason...

And nobody is forcing you to get the costumes--it's fine to dislike the costumes, in fact, I dislike some details, but just bashing it and tearing it down and assuming that Disney doesn't care is really rude and it's all because you keep comparing it.
    Did you actually just call me "rude???" Did you actually just imply that I was "bashing it and tearing it down and assuming that Disney doesn't care???" I think it's apparent. I think if you don't see it, it's cos you've got blinders on. Disney brought Duffy to the US for one reason: he was making a LOT of money in Japan and they wanted a bigger cut than 20%. No one is forcing me to get the costumes, but when Disney doesn't care about the character, then they're using my energy, too, as free marketing. They're using my love to hype their shadow of the character I have championed for so long. How many people would ever have known the long version of the story if not for me? Zero. How many people would have been hyped and primed for a US launch if not for people like me and gurgi and Janell and Travis who demanded that this character deserved more than quick dismissal? I am bashing what they do, because anyone who has ever designed anything on a computer can tell you that so far they're Duffy designs take about an hour (at most) of concept work, and probably all of the manufacturing planning and execution is done by the factory in China where its made. The Tokyo stuff, in contrast, looks like the same person who created the highly detailed and always original concept art and key visuals must have also worked with (or be) a clothing designer who can explain construction to the factory, because there is a cohesive high-quality vision. It doesn't just look like somebody used the "Fill Bucket" to create.

People can't afford many things right now...More often than not, if I go into Build a Bear and there's a special new limited bear, I get the special outfit that was made for them BECAUSE it was made for them. I could get them anything else, but something about getting what was made for that bear is a very nice feeling. But once again, comparisons are just silly because they have different focuses.

Just, seriously, why can't we be happy for -anything- right now?
    I don't know why you're talking so much about money. I'm not saying the costumes should be more expensive. ABSOLUTELY NOT! I'm saying they should be of a higher quality level to be worthy of the current price, and to be worthy of the character. The costumes and the little dressed bears, in my mind, are not worth the price. But maybe that's because when I see them, I see them as basically cheap bootlegs, "knock-offs." Someone trying to make whatever little bit they can off somebody else's good idea and soulful work. It's not right, and it makes for an America where every Disney fan who doesn't go out of hir way to research and find out about Duffy's history believes the character to be something that he really is not. "The Disney Bear" by another name still smells as much of greed and crassness. It is not Duffy. And, no, I'm not gonna just be happy about that.

Most characters don't have their own website here XD And since Duffy is really parks only, you'll have to look for updates in like the Official Disney Blog and here, but so far, the only thing we've heard Duffy is going to get here is this costume.

There's really no need for a website in the US. In Japan, there's constant new merchandise, a whole section of a park dedicated to the character, all kinds of snacks, a show... It's been almost a year. If Disney wanted to care about Duffy, they would. Whatever happened to those animated shorts? Where is the US popcorn bucket? What about Vinylmation? And what the HECK is up with that Halloween release? No, I'm not "rude." I'm right. And plenty of people know it. Unfortunately, as time goes on, more and more of them are gonna be Duffy "haters." And I'm really disappointed that it's easier for you to be angry with me, seeing this as somehow personal (it's not), than with the people who actually control the future of this character. That's truly sad.

I wish Disney would genuinely invest some of their most creative, pure-hearted talent in Duffy. I would love to see US releases that rival the Japanese! I would love to see US Disney artists really going for it, blending American fashion with quality materials and playful designs. I really wish they would, but the US fans keep telling them not to bother. I canNOT understand why...

---------- Post added 08-23-2011 at 01:37 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    ...That's why my bears are "slumming" it and wear mostly clothes from Build A Bear. But I LIKE the clothes from there, so for me it works. I'm really looking forward to their Halloween/Fall and Christmas/Winter offerings this year. I did see next month they're going to have Snoopy plushes available and his Joe Cool outfit too! I want that outfit for Duffy!

But I agree with Wondering, how the US and Japan do things are completely different in all aspects. From the parks right down to everyday life. But that's how it is and that's how it will always be. I wish the US parks did better quality and more interesting costumes for Duffy, but so far what we got is what we got...
    What the heck??? What about American innovation and American soul and American standards of excellence??? You think the WALT DISNEY COMPANY isn't capable of producing higher quality at a competitive price point than a relatively tiny little licensee company on a tiny island in Asia? Are you freaking kidding me? It was an American who invented the teddy bear (simultaneous with a German^^) and an American President along with that same inventor who popularized the world's most iconic toy. It was, in case you forgot, an American who created the world's most popular character. The same American who started the Company under discussion. I'm sorry but I don't buy this at all, and I certainly don't think the largest entertainment/merchandising behemoth on the planet gets an easy out. Are you guys just trying to make my head explode?

As an example, let's look at Build-A-Bear. It's an American company with a clear and focused mission and vision, and it regularly creates high-quality products at very reasonable prices. In Japan, Build-A-Bear offers exactly the same items, but something that costs $5 in the US will be ¥1000 here. So not only is the exchange rate making things more expensive, the price is also doubled. Yet Japanese are discerning about what they like, but they are willing to pay for what they like. In fact, paying an appropriate amount for something that feels like a high-quality indulgence is often part of the experience itself. Build-A-Bear knows this about the Japanese market and capitalizes on it. Still, I don't like it. I rarely buy Build-A-Bear items except shoes because I think price gouging is wrong. Still, in the US, I think it's a great company, and a lot more focused on making a great product and a great customer experience than Disney. I think the thing is that Build-A-Bear actually still likes their customers, whereas most of the people at Disney with decision-making power seem to view anybody who'd pay money for that as fools who'll buy anything. ...Oh wait...
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 08-22-2011 at 08:42 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast