Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking Cape Cod Village Greeting POSTCARD ~CONTEST~!!! ...Yes, WITH PRIZES!!!^^

I've been wanting to do a contest for a looong time, but finally I have a real reason. I have successfully translated all of the postcards except the final four. I think they're written in Arabic, Phasa Thai and Russian. It would be helpful to confirm this.^^

Next, each winner will need to submit a typed version of the complete text from the postcard, plus a translation in English. That's it! No rules, no time limit. The contest will run until all four cards have been translated. Prizes may be awarded as each card is answered, or when all of the cards have been successfully translated. Enjoy the challenge, have fun, and good luck!^^

The first two, I think, are...Arabic? That's Arabic, right?

1 - Arabic?

2 - Arabic?

3 - Phasa Thai?

4 - Russian?

This is really exciting! I'm hoping for some great stories, too, about people's process for finding the answers! And the great thing is, everybody wins, since once it's done, I'll post all the postcards and translations somewhere!

NOTE: These pictures are NOT to be posted publicly anywhere else!
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 08-23-2011 at 10:17 PM.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: Cape Cod Village Greeting POSTCARD ~CONTEST~!!! ...Yes, WITH PRIZES!!!^^

Wow, just looking at all that writing made my eyes cross!

Thumbs up Re: Cape Cod Village Greeting POSTCARD ~CONTEST~!!! ...Yes, WITH PRIZES!!!^^

Yeah, I know it's a real challenge. I'm gonna go ahead and ask that anyone who can even recognize which language the last two are in, please tell us!^^

I figure that some of the folks in New York or other major cosmopolitan cities can probably find a native speaker fairly easily by going to a city office or a culture center or the UN!^^

Folks near WDW might just be able to find someone at EPCOT who could help out, and people at both of the American Resorts could possibly even find a park guest who reads the language if we knew which language it is...

It's an adventure worthy of Duffy!

I'm still not sure what language #4 is written in, but through some research, I can show you the image from the front of the card. It's from "Song of Spring," by Russian painter Leonard Turzhansky. This is something you can't even see at the real Village Greeting Place! The writing on the card is not Russian, though, so I'm not sure how much of a clue this is... I'm such a geek; I had been thinking that I'd like to know what's on the front of all the postcards... Now that it seems possible to find even by accident, I just may have to put some effort into finding out!

Anyway, without further adieu, Leonard Turzhansky's Song of Spring:

Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 08-23-2011 at 08:17 PM.

I figured out the language of #4!

Thumbs up Re: Cape Cod Village Greeting POSTCARD ~CONTEST~!!! ...Yes, WITH PRIZES!!!^^

TELL us already!!! ...Unless you think you can find the answer soon. This is more fun than the Pottermore Magic Quill challenge...^^

I don't mean to scoop aimster, but I'm fairly confident #4 is Tagalog. That's what I originally thought, actually, but when I put it in Google Translate with auto-detect, it came up as "Latvian." Google Translate doesn't have Tagalog. Is that what you think, too, aimster?

Oops! Now I think it's Russian. I did a search with "nymewecmbobamb" and got one hit. I ended up on some kind of Russian social network, where this [word?] is written as an "Interest," but the word itself didn't translate... Anyway, Russian makes a LOT more sense, with the postcard, so I'm gonna run with that.
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 08-23-2011 at 10:18 PM.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Wow, this is very tough! Good detective work though! Russian makes sense for #4, and the painting is very nice, actually. I like it a lot.

---------- Post added 08-24-2011 at 10:51 AM ----------

I'm pretty sure #'s 1, and 2 are Egyptian Arabic.

I thought #4 was Filipino. I Googled a few of the words and got several Filipino hits. But then I tried using Google Translate to see what the postcard says and... it doesn't translate. It's also hard to figure out what some of the letters are because it all looks like a bunch of loop-de-loop scribbling. So maybe not? It's definitely not Russian because Russian characters are different looking (I know what Russian looks like even though I can't understand it).

I think #1 is Arabic, but not 100% sure. I wish Google Translate was more accurate!

• ~*Princess*~

1st two are Arabic it seems. A friend of mine is going to college for Linguistics so she's been learning a lot there. I want to learn languages like that too ._. As mentioned though, still trying to figure out the typed versions for some XD

1st:
    من عائلة زيدان
    مرحبا من العقبة

From Zeidan family
    Hello/Greetings from Aqaba

2nd:
    أنا و دَفي نحب القراءه عن الاماكن البعيدة في العالم
    أميرة و دفي

Me & Duffy love to read about exotic/far places in the world
    signed
    Amira & Duffy

Third one is Thai:
    สวัสดีดัฟฟี่ นี่น้ำหวานค่ะ
    ดัฟฟี่กับฉันชอบอ่านหนังสือที่พูด
    ถึงดินแดนที่ไกลแสนไกล
    รักและคิดถึงดัฟฟี่ที่สุด
    น้ำหวาน สิงห์สนอง

Hello Duffy, this is Namwan.
    Duffy and I like reading the kind of books that talk about places very far away..
    Love and miss Duffy the most.
    Namwan Singsanong

Last one is Russian:
    Приветы с Москвы!
    Дафи и я очень любим путешествовать и хотели бы с большим удовольством посетить Каип Код.
    Дафи и Людмила.

Hello from Moscow!
    Duffy and I love to travel very much. We would love to visit Cape Cod.
    Duffy and Lyudmila

I went ahead and bolded which were Duffy's name
    Last edited by Wondering; 08-24-2011 at 08:25 AM.

Congratulations, folks, we have a winner!

That was MUCH faster than I anticipated, and one person got all of them...AMAZING!

#1 is slightly different, now that I've been able to reconstruct it in an Arabic type that I can translate:

مرحبا من العقبة
    Hello from Al'Aqabah

*I prefer this romanization of the city name because it looks more "arabesque" to me.^^

من عائلة زيدان
    From the Zidane family
    *I prefer this romanization of the family name because it reminds me of Final Fantasy VIII, and it's also a famous French footballer apparently.^^

#4 looks perfect, and honestly, it's one I should've done on my own now that I see it in print. D'oh! #2's meaning is probably right, but it's so similar to another of the postcards that I'm not 100% sure. It came out looking very different in my automatic translator. Of course, you can't always trust those things, but it did help to polish up the first one, so I'm secretly hoping we find some hidden detail as we work on the typed version that makes the meaning a little more unique, too. #3 I'm not even thinking about yet...

Well, that's it, folks. Wondering and I will just be crossing the t's and dotting the i's from now. Wonderng, you totally slam-dunked this!^^ One day...wow...

PS: There's an Imagineering typo... Actually, there were a lot of them in these postcards... "Cape Cod" in Russian should be "Кейп Код," not "Каип Код."

---------- Post added 08-25-2011 at 02:14 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering View Post
    ...I went ahead and bolded which were Duffy's name
    AWESOME!!! You are SO my hero right now! Give your friend BIG hugs from all of us!

Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 08-24-2011 at 09:07 AM.

Aaaaaaannnnnd.... I was wrong.

• ~*Princess*~

DuffyD - It's fine! There's definitely a few different ways to translate certain words so XD I know we came to a few conclusions, but weren't sure which to use.

There was actually another issue with Russian, but we weren't sure if we should fix it or not :3 Where it says "удовольством" should actually be "удовольствием". But besides those, everything was fine.

#3 was definitely the toughest, I think XD Just so much mixed together, it was really hard to pinpoint.

But yes, shall definitely give her a big hug

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering View Post
    Third one is Thai:
    สวัสดีดัฟฟี่ นี่น้ำหวานค่ะ
    ดัฟฟี่กับฉันชอบอ่านหนังสือที่พูด
    ถึงดินแดนที่ไกลแสนไกล
    รักและคิดถึงดัฟฟี่ที่สุด
    น้ำหวาน สิงห์สนอง

Hello Duffy, this is Namwan.
    Duffy and I like reading the kind of books that talk about places very far away..
    Love and miss Duffy the most.
    Namwan Singsanong
    None of the other postcards are written to Duffy, so I don't feel confident this one is right... I think the first line is either "Duffy is my nectar!" like "Duffy is so sweet!" or "Duffy is my treasure!" OR I think it's something like "Hello from Duffy and Namwan," which is how almost every one of the postcards are written. I'm betting on the latter. Can you ask your friend to look more closely at this, please?^^

The other thing weird here is that it looks like "Namwan" has a first and last name. This, too, is something that none of the other postcards do, so I have a little doubt about it...

Thanks for posting the typed version of #2. I think it's all good!^^

---------- Post added 08-25-2011 at 02:50 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Aaaaaaannnnnd.... I was wrong.
    Hehe... I thought so, too, though. I think I just really expected it to be there, and that handwriting style just didn't look "Russian" to me. but then I looked on Wikipedia and remembered that printing and handwriting are WAY different, and I mostly know Russian in print from Cold War-era movies, comics and video games.

• ~*Princess*~

We thought it was a bit odd too, but regardless of how many times we looked through it and even looking up some translators and things and words on the internet to check too, we kept getting the same result. It's possible they meant the latter and wrote it wrong (After all, the Russian had a few errors), but with how it's written, that is what it means.

The last name essentially means "Sing reply" almost like "Singing Telegram" but we couldn't make any sense/fitting with it except to think they have a last name as that is a real last name.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Wow, that was pretty cool! Nice to read what they actually say too. I'm sure these little details took the imagineers a while to figure out, and for such minor details. I love it when they do stuff like this!

I how Duffy's name in Thai looks like "aWW..." CUTE!!!^^

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast