Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duffy Online!

Duffy Online!

As of Sept 26, 2011 you can now purchase Duffy on the Disney Store website!!!
    They carry the 17" Duffy and his clothing, the magnet, the key chain, the wristlet, and the smaller limited edition Duffy's. The new Halloween Duffy is also online. Very cute page giving his story!

Duffy The Disney Bear | Disney Store

http://smallcrazyworldafterall.blogspot.com/

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

• Adventures with Duffy

Re: Duffy Online!

Thanks for the info. I wonder what this will do to all the ebayers? This may help to keep the prices down, which I think is good. Maybe this will also help for things not to sell out so quickly. Ive seen guest buy 20+ of the same items, you know they aren't all for them selves and friends. Its ebay.

D
    uffeteer
    Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics

Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

• Lemony Goodness

Omg, YES!!! So awesome!

• Become part of MY world!

While it's great that Duffy to finally have his own site here in the states, I kinda wish they would still keep him exclusive to the parks. But oh well, if it adds to his popularity then that's always a plus!

---------- Post added 09-26-2011 at 03:43 PM ----------

Huh, the halloween Duffy is only $21 on that page. Could that be a mistake? Isn't he $30 in the parks like the rest of the 12" bears?
    Poor unfortunate Souls.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Not sure how I feel about this yet. I too wish they'd keep him exclusive to the parks, but if this will help his popularity, then so be it. I know people constantly ask on Duffy's FB page if he's available for sale online. I just kept responding with the number for Disney Parks mail order.

I'm thrilled by this. I wanted a couple more outfits on our last trip but didn't have the space, or cash on hand to pick them up. Now I can put them on my christmas wish list.

• I love that tiny bear!

Nooooooo! Too adorable!

I love my tiny Duffy, but that wristbag is too cute!

• Munchings & Crunchings

I do like that he was a park exclusive, but selfishly, I'm glad they did this. I don't live anywhere near the parks, and if I want a costume, I can buy it online now.

• ~*Princess*~

I don't have any issue with him not being Park exclusive anymore--I hope this encourages a lot more people to get one.

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Not sure how I feel about this yet. I too wish they'd keep him exclusive to the parks, but if this will help his popularity, then so be it. I know people constantly ask on Duffy's FB page if he's available for sale online. I just kept responding with the number for Disney Parks mail order.
    I agree. I hope that this helps with his popularity and bring down the prices on ebay. It's crazy to see people buying up all the Duffy merchandise when I'm at the park and then scalping the little angel on ebay!

I still have mixed feelings, but I'll get over it. It was just such a thrill to have to go to the park to get my Duffy and purchase other Duffy items.

I so SUPER LOVE AND ADORE MY DUFFY! and SHELLIEMAY
    (she was a very special surprise gift from a friend!)

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Since I live 90 minutes from WDW, I can drive up occasionally to pick up a new costume release if I like it enough. And since they sell Duffy stuff at a couple shops at DTD (Once Upon a Toy & World of Disney), I can get what I need without having to pony up for park admission.

But I'll be at WDW for a couple days next week and I have a couple photo projects I'll be doing that are centered around Duffy & Shellie May. If it all works out to plan, it should be EPIC.

I can see the benfits of both sides. I am lucky enough to be going to Florida in a few weeks and am looking forward to picking out my Duffy. But since I only go every couple of years, if I was in an "off year" it would be nice to have the opportunity to purchase him online and not have to wait til I get there. Then I could get that "special outfit" while I was there instead.
    I feel that way about Shellie Mae too. Getting one from Japan would be super amazing - but it is not in the budget. If I could get her online, I would be thrilled!
    Hopefully this all means that they are going to try and promote him more and will just lead to more success for Duffy.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Predictably, I'm not onboard with this and I think Disney has completely missed the boat with Duffy. I'll be the naysayer. This totally takes away from the mystique of the Duffy concept, which took the Japanese team (with fans) years to foster and nurture to its present state. And it's so early; they didn't give it time to build. They didn't try creative marketing or fantastic quality production. They just wanted a piece of that action they saw in Tokyo, plain and simple. Heartless. They expected to throw him out, with cheaper materials and less details and have people go crazy. That didn't happen. They raised prices without any change in quality hoping to somehow satisfy their profit craving. That didn't happen. They have finally planned marginally more creative outfits but not even released them before deciding to go whole hog in completely cutting Duffy off from the concept that made him so special in Japan - the concept that finally made the "Disney bear" work - which was to be absolutely tied to the parks and their sense of exploration and adventure. Duffy is a mascot for the park experience itself and not just the Disney brand.

All of that failed because of a lack of genuine love and now they just wanna sell as much as they can. Selling online requires far less investment for the company, so even if sales remain below expectation, costs are offset by not having to maintain a park presence so aggressively. Honestly, I hope they're phasing out the American push, since the alternative is that they get even more aggressive with reducing Duffy back to the Disney Bear - an overbranded (and yet somehow generic) piece of merch with no soul. With this decision, they have gone full circle back around to the Disney Bear model, disrespecting and destroying all the hard work done by the Japanese creative teams who named Duffy and gave him a story, created park placement opportunities and fan-based experience campaigns that showed real love. As far as I'm concerned, the US Duffy is no longer Duffy. It is just another easy-to-buy, easy-to-throwaway Disney property...like "Princesses" or "Fairies." Maybe we'll even have the Duffy rainbow coalition back soon, huh? My entire collection feels like it just plummetted in value, both actually and emotionally. This makes me unbelievably sad.

And yet somehow I feel I shouldn't really be surprised. They could neither beat nor even replicate the success of Japan, because they failed to understand its heart. So now they will simply cut that heart out of the whole concept, cheapening the authentic Japanese Duffy in the process and counting their little bit of money. All the while, the devoted Disney flock says, "That's great!" and not only gives approval but asks for more of the same...because it's convenient...because it's easy. Heartbreaking.

PS: And look at how they ruined the sensitive drawing-style artwork by giving it all that generic CG Disney gloss...yuck. And Duffy's body is way too long, even if he's unstuffed. And they're on Steamboat Willie apparently (a concept I posted here almost a year ago), but that boat looks nothing like Steamboat Willie. Yuck, yuck, and yuck. So many more people will know Duffy's name now and so few of them will ever really know Duffy. Actually, the masses who only know Duffy as "that Disney bear you can get online" will be such a greater part of the population that the Duffy I know will begin to fade until the whole concept just becomes the Disney Bear with Duffy's name (we're right on the edge of that, folks!) and just like that failed project, he will disappear completely again. I only hope the US "Duffelganger" doesn't take the real Japanese Duffy down with him.

• I also like Stitch!

True. If money allows I'll try and get my mom to get a real Duffy. My American Duffers will be a school Disney Club mascot.

• I am number 4 of 999

Quote Originally Posted by Ursulalvr View Post
    Huh, the halloween Duffy is only $21 on that page. Could that be a mistake? Isn't he $30 in the parks like the rest of the 12" bears?
    SHHHH! I've seen this happen with pins, that they are less expensive online than in the stores. Don't tell any one!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast